Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Intel CEO filed his planned stock sale on October 30. Wonder if this is going to become an issue for him https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/50863/000112760217033679/xslF345X03/form4.xml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im on a 4790k that I bought right before skylake started showing up because RAM and motherboards were expensive and the gains werent looking to be that much. I swear to god if the performance hit because of these fixes are high Ill ill buy a new motherboard cpu and ram :negative:

Haswell should have working PCID (at least for the Linux fix) according to https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10035481/

quote:

PCIDs are generally available on Sandybridge and newer CPUs. However,
the accompanying INVPCID instruction did not become available until
Haswell (the ones with "v4", or called fourth-generation Core). This
instruction allows non-current-PCID TLB entries to be flushed without
switching CR3 and global pages to be flushed without a double
MOV-to-CR4.

Without INVPCID, PCIDs are much harder to use.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
According to this

http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-ceo-krzanich-sold-shares-after-company-was-informed-of-chip-flaw-2018-1

Intel knew about the bug since June.

Not only did their CEO dump 24 million dollars in stock after knowing about the bug, he sold off everything except for the bare minimum he’s required to keep.

I’ve also read somewhere that although Intel doesn’t have to disclose specific details, they are obligated to disclose to investors about possible problems coming down the line that might hurt the numbers. They didn’t, despite knowing about this since June.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Linus laying a burn on Intel

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/3/797

quote:

Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation
doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is
keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look
at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of
writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be
written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you poo poo
forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the
ARM64 people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

- Intel never intends to fix anything

OR

- these workarounds should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

Linus

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man, I’m going to be upset if my Broadwell mobile desktop starts to suck eggs. I wanted to keep the thing holding together for another year or so, but if I can’t get my modeling work done :smith:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
This totally was insider trading and there will totally nothing happen probably. I have no idea about such things and I won't act like I do but I can't imagine that a guy like that would risk such a move without being absolutely sure he can't be gutted for it. I mean - would you?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
In that insider trading cases, even when hilariously blatant, are basically never prosecuted, there's really no reason for him not to make moves like that if it'll make him money.

It's the benefit of being fabulously rich: a lot of rules just don't apply anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Try writing to your representatives about Intel's CEO just for the fun of it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fame Douglas posted:

The Intel CEO filed his planned stock sale on October 30. Wonder if this is going to become an issue for him https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/50863/000112760217033679/xslF345X03/form4.xml

Answer: It should be, but won't be

vvv Yay!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 4, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A workaround for Spectre is landing in two of the major C/C++ compilers soon: https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7625886

They're basically breaking branch prediction on purpose so :rip: performance.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

This computer used to run antivirus before I switched back to Defender a year or so ago. Is there a way to check whether the update installed correctly? edit - I have KB4056892 installed, if that helps.

Also still rocking an old 2500k, so time to wait for benchmarks I guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

According to this

http://www.businessinsider.com/intel-ceo-krzanich-sold-shares-after-company-was-informed-of-chip-flaw-2018-1

Intel knew about the bug since June.

Not only did their CEO dump 24 million dollars in stock after knowing about the bug, he sold off everything except for the bare minimum he’s required to keep.

I’ve also read somewhere that although Intel doesn’t have to disclose specific details, they are obligated to disclose to investors about possible problems coming down the line that might hurt the numbers. They didn’t, despite knowing about this since June.

CEOs often sell everything they have as soon as possible because they get rights to buy stock cheaper than the market price, so it's free money.

FallenGod posted:

This computer used to run antivirus before I switched back to Defender a year or so ago. Is there a way to check whether the update installed correctly? edit - I have KB4056892 installed, if that helps.

Also still rocking an old 2500k, so time to wait for benchmarks I guess.

That KB update is the Windows fix, even if MS changelog is vague about it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 4, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DrDork posted:

In that insider trading cases, even when hilariously blatant, are basically never prosecuted, there's really no reason for him not to make moves like that if it'll make him money.

It's the benefit of being fabulously rich: a lot of rules just don't apply anymore.

the SEC loves prosecuting insider trading cases, actually

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

evilweasel posted:

the SEC loves prosecuting insider trading cases, actually

They love threatening to. Actually going through with it seems only to be semi-regularly done if it's people selling/trading/gifting timing recommendations for people to purchase stocks before a big reveal or price jump. There's precious little action taken on C-suite employees dumping everything right before the poo poo hits the fan.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trip report: my Windows had updated, I hadn't even noticed. So the actual performance difference in games at least is indeed negligible.

However, Intel's behaviour is beyond scummy. According to that Google white paper they were informed in July, and kept selling and launching processors without any loving word of what was going on to companies who will now take a MASSIVE hit as they have to replace their entire server hardware or whatever.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Der Shovel posted:

Trip report: my Windows had updated, I hadn't even noticed. So the actual performance difference in games at least is indeed negligible.

However, Intel's behaviour is beyond scummy. According to that Google white paper they were informed in July, and kept selling and launching processors without any loving word of what was going on to companies who will now take a MASSIVE hit as they have to replace their entire server hardware or whatever.

It's the launching processors thing that loving sucks the most.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’m going to try and return my pentium 4 to circuit city, wish me luck!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They will have to replace their server hardware, long term, because of Spectre not Meltdown. You can address Meltdown via software, although with a potential performance hit depending on your workload. But nobody really knows how to address Spectre yet, and it impacts AMD, Qualcomm, and everyone else that makes Big Iron too (and has been launching new products since July)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Putting the brakes on a new chip launch would cost them far more than just going through with it and waiting for the patches.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Putting the brakes on a new chip launch would cost them far more than just going through with it and waiting for the patches.

Especially when your warranty explicitly doesn't cover that sort of thing, so you're only on the hook with companies that have arranged for a more generous contract--everyone else just has to deal with it.

And if Spectre impacts both Intel and AMD, it's not like they even have to worry much about the bad blood because there's nowhere safe to jump ship to--everyone just has to deal with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So how do we use this to exploit the new video game consoles

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's the launching processors thing that loving sucks the most.

Seriously. That poo poo should literally be illegal, when they fully well knew there was a large problem with their processors.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

They can’t just stop the launch and fix everything; it’s literally an architectural redesign with the revalidation of the entire chip. They banked on SW mitigation in the interim...hosed up, yeah, but I can see their logic.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

2017: Intel needs to release faster processors with more cores.

2018: Intel shouldn’t have launched more processors.

:goonsay:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

movax posted:

They can’t just stop the launch and fix everything; it’s literally an architectural redesign with the revalidation of the entire chip. They banked on SW mitigation in the interim...hosed up, yeah, but I can see their logic.

yeah being as the spectre stuff is going to take literally years to sort out i can't blame them for this specifically

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Given how far back this problem goes in the Pentium DNA, I'd say get ready for a few more vulnerabilities facilitated by optimizations to x86 and ARM from back before anyone cared about security.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Don Lapre posted:

So how do we use this to exploit the new video game consoles

Doesn't AMD power the Bone and PS4?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Given how far back this problem goes in the Pentium DNA, I'd say get ready for a few more vulnerabilities facilitated by optimizations to x86 and ARM from back before anyone cared about security.

https://danluu.com/cpu-bugs/ a good article

(i'm tired af and can't remember whether i saw this posted on twitter or here so sorry if repost)

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't AMD power the Bone and PS4?

Yes, but they use weaktit AMD Jaguar netbook CPU cores. Hopefully the PS5 and XboneX2 will use Ryzen+ based CPUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I got KB4056892 but for some reason the Meltdown mitigation didn't enable until I flashed my BIOS to a recently released update.

To check if the mitigation is active: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/windows-client-guidance-for-it-pros-to-protect-against-speculative-exe

edit: Oh it's because you need new microcode. That should solve itself when Microsoft pushes the new microcode via Windows Update then, but in the short term you might need a BIOS update.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 4, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElehemEare posted:

2017: Intel needs to release faster processors with more cores.

2018: Intel shouldn’t have launched more processors.

:goonsay:

Without commenting on whether Intel should have launched or not, this is a lovely, disingenuous representation of what people are saying.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They would have been kind of stuck not launching Coffeelake because of a vulnerability all their processors are prone too.

Just imagine how that would have gone down for AMD's sales.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

repiv posted:

I got KB4056892 but for some reason the Meltdown mitigation didn't enable until I flashed my BIOS to a recently released update.

To check if the mitigation is active: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/windows-client-guidance-for-it-pros-to-protect-against-speculative-exe

edit: Oh it's because you need new microcode. That should solve itself when Microsoft pushes the new microcode via Windows Update then, but in the short term you might need a BIOS update.

Hopefully the relevant fixes can be applied by the OS. Lots of “abandoned” BIOS out there that are not going to be patched for consumers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mine upgraded straight away - full Meltdown fix, but not Spectre fix. This was with today's Windows 10 update, on a b-tier laptop from mid-2014.

mewse
May 2, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Mine upgraded straight away - full Meltdown fix, but not Spectre fix. This was with today's Windows 10 update, on a b-tier laptop from mid-2014.

Mirrors what I saw with my 8700k at home. Hopefully a BIOS update will fix more spectre stuff

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
HardwareUnboxed has benched the Meltdown patch for Windows.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Together with the fact that most average user computers are never really taxed by their users to begin with, it basically means nothing for performance then.

These are still two ugly exploits, It's gonna be interesting to see what spectre will bring in the future.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

As expected, most desktop users won't notice any difference. It will be interesting to see more productivity and server benchmarks though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That said, has anyone benchmarked Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge yet? Those don't support PCID optimizations so they're running the slower version of the mitigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

That said, has anyone benchmarked Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge yet? Those don't support PCID optimizations so they're running the slower version of the mitigation.

There's a comment from Steve on the Youtube version of this:

quote:

Update: I've also tested the Sandy Bridge 2600K and haven't found anything different. The 4K performance is noticeably down but other than that everything else is much the same. I won't make another video till we get the BIOS updates.