Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I just reached Zot 5 oh god save me im so scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
don't multiple copies of the same recharging item all share the same timer

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Crimson Harvest posted:

I just reached Zot 5 oh god save me im so scared
Welcome to the final challenge. I hope you brought scrolls of fog.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samog posted:

don't multiple copies of the same recharging item all share the same timer

Correct. Used to be they all carried individual charges but that got nerfed. In an ideal world picking up additional evocables would either slightly reduce the charge timer or increase power. That way extra ones wouldn't just be wasted loot.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

To Floodkiller or anyone else who regularly messes with the source code -- how do you deal with merging changes from Git? I followed the guide for Crawl I found somewhere to use git stash apply, which was okay before, but the recent updates must have changed over a hundred files and I'll tear my hair out if I have to go through every single one of them to fix conflicts. There must be some way to at least partially automate the process, but I stopped being anything close to a computer nerd around 15 years ago and my free time is limited and inevitably stolen from something else that's more important, so sifting through documentation written by IT guys for IT guys is driving me nuts. At least I now know why the vi keys are called vi keys.

I want to make an effort post on all timered buffs in the game and which ones I think make sense to be permabuffed and which ones would do better to be changed or just removed. But I finally finished a working draft of the spell I was trying to write, so I'm putting that off until I can actually figure out how make a patch through git and submit a pull request so that Floodkiller can laugh at my horrible code. Sucking at C++ is fun, but sucking at git is really frustrating.

If anyone beats me to it on writing out which buffs they think should become permanent and which shouldn't, I'll add my opinion later.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
deep elf annihilators now have an extremely alpha widelegged stance

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

To Floodkiller or anyone else who regularly messes with the source code -- how do you deal with merging changes from Git? I followed the guide for Crawl I found somewhere to use git stash apply, which was okay before, but the recent updates must have changed over a hundred files and I'll tear my hair out if I have to go through every single one of them to fix conflicts.

This might be more than what you are asking for, but:

1) Set up a forked repository of Crawl on GitHub (click the fork button in the top right while logged in).
2) Clone your forked repository onto your local computer (not the main repository).
code:
git clone git://GitHub.com/<username>/crawl.git
By default, this will dump it in a 'crawl' folder wherever you are running your git command prompt from.
3) Set up a remote for whatever program you are using for Git: https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-a-remote-for-a-fork/ (origin points to your fork's main url, upstream points to the main Crawl repository's url; make additional remotes for any other repositories you care about, like Gooncrawl or Hellcrawl). Never modify the main (base) development branches for these remotes (master for mainline Crawl).
4) To update these branches to the latest version on your fork (going to be using mainline Crawl for these examples) :
code:
git fetch upstream
git checkout master
git merge upstream/master
git push origin master
This will update the upstream, then merge the upstream's base branch on your fork's base branch. Then, you push the changes to your fork's remote repository (origin). If multiple people are working on origin's (your) repository, fetch and pull that first to grab any missing branches or updates:
code:
git fetch origin
git checkout master
git pull origin master
5) When creating a new feature, make a sub branch based off of the branch you are developing for:
code:
git checkout master
git checkout -b new_spell
git push origin new_spell
The first line sets your baseline for the branch to be the base branch, then the second one creates the sub branch locally. The last line pushes the branch's existence to your remote repository.
6) Do all your dev work on this sub branch, and commit whenever you have finished a specific feature:
code:
git status
git commit -a
The first line checks which files were changed (good to check if you accidentally change/delete/add something), and the second line opens a commit message page to note what the commit will do.
6a) If something in your status was changed or deleted accidentally, do the following to reset it:
code:
git reset HEAD <filename>
git checkout .. <filename>
This will remove the change from your commit, then pull the latest version of the file from your branch. If something was accidentally added, you can just delete using the file explorer. If you do want to add a file to your commit:
code:
git add <filename>
6b) If multiple people are working on your sub-branch, do this before committing:
code:
git stash
git pull origin new_spell
git stash apply
This will stash your changes, pull the latest version of the sub-branch, then apply your changes back on top (although you may have to resolve conflicts). This will make sure you don't accidentally attempt to overwrite other commits.
6c) If there are any conflicts to resolve, open up the relevant files and search for "HEAD" or ">>>>>" to find the conflicts (you can type git status and look at the files that say "both modified" to find where to search) . Modify or delete all the lines that are out of date, as well as the conflict dividers.
7) If it is taking a while to develop your feature, you can update your sub-branch to match the latest version of the base branch by doing Step 4, then the following:
code:
git checkout new_spell
git merge origin master
If you have uncommitted changes, stash them first. You only need to do this if you think a recent update might screw with your code. Handle any conflicts like Step 6c.
8) After you have developed and tested your feature and are ready to either merge it with your own branch or open a pull request to the base branch, run Step 4 again for whatever branch you want your sub branch to be applied. Then, do the following while your sub branch is checked out:
code:
git rebase -i master
This will take the latest version of the base branch, then apply all of your commits from your sub-branch on top of it. The -i let's you pick specific actions to perform with your commits (like edit the commit messages, merge a commit into the one above it, exclude a commit, etc.) as well as what order to perform the commits if something is screwed up. Handle any conflicts like Step 6c.
9) Make a pull request for your branch to go into the base branch. I usually use GitHub's website to do this, but I'm sure you can do it through git as well. If it's going into one of your own branches on your fork, you can just merge it instead of creating a pull request.
10) After it has been merged, you are safe to delete the sub-branch on your local and remote repository if desired.

Unfortunately, conflicts are never fun to deal with (although it is sometimes easy when the conflict is just a single word difference). If your branch is about reverting a previous commit, you will likely have a bunch of conflicts based on the feature coming from older versions of those files. A big one is enum.h, which used to be a gigantic list but has been split into a bunch of smaller files; it's usually better to just reset that one and track down the correct <type>-data.h file to put the relevant line in. If there are too many conflicts to handle, it may be easier to just manually take your branch's changes (or the reverting commit's changes) and reapply them by hand to an updated branch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh hellcrawl is gone while the tournament is active, guess I'm not playing crawl for a while then

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

unbelievable raw masculine energy

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Araganzar posted:

Hermit Crab - must wear body armor, starts off wearing leather, as player levels up can wear higher levels of armor with no or greatly reduced encumbrance, eventually can only wear plate mail or dragon scales, special bonuses for maxwell's, lear's, and OCP
:eyepop:

quote:

Fiddler Crab - has fighting claw that starts out equivalent to a flail with +5 SH, as player levels up eventually becomes as good as GSC with SH increasing as well - can still use offhand for attack or shield
:love::swoon::love:

quote:

Japenese Spider Crab - octopode armor slots, extra AC as levels, at XL 13 gives all weapons or unarmed Reaching
:monocle:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

unbelievable raw masculine energy

The Chad Blademaster

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I meant recharging with the same mechanic as phial of floods and such. Getting an extra teleport or haste every four or five fights seems fine to me?

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 fights is completely busted.

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 floors is almost worthless.

Wands of Tele and HW are specifically strong because they can hold a lot of charges. Burst use of specifically HW is generally how that goes down and keeping a single HW potion that recharges every so often as an inventory slot is probably good enough to sit in your inventory, but it sure doesn't feel great. The extra problem is that as you get more of them, they get collectively better. If you have 10 HW evocables, your on-demand healing goes into the stratosphere in a very unhealthy way, and the fact that they recharge with time and/or XP means you'd never get rid of them, which puts the long-term resource management meta (which is about half the game) in jeopardy. It gets the bonus of taking up inventory slots, so on top of it being a pretty strong option to collect these evocables, it's also introducing tedious inventory micromanaging.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 fights is completely busted.

A yellow-class effect every 4 or 5 floors is almost worthless.

Wands of Tele and HW are specifically strong because they can hold a lot of charges. Burst use of specifically HW is generally how that goes down and keeping a single HW potion that recharges every so often as an inventory slot is probably good enough to sit in your inventory, but it sure doesn't feel great. The extra problem is that as you get more of them, they get collectively better. If you have 10 HW evocables, your on-demand healing goes into the stratosphere in a very unhealthy way, and the fact that they recharge with time and/or XP means you'd never get rid of them, which puts the long-term resource management meta (which is about half the game) in jeopardy. It gets the bonus of taking up inventory slots, so on top of it being a pretty strong option to collect these evocables, it's also introducing tedious inventory micromanaging.

Just to note (you might have missed this change if you haven't played for a while), all xp recharging evokers share the same timer among the same type. For example, if you use a phial of floods, all phials in your inventory and the dungeon become inert. Once you get enough XP to charge one, all become available again. There is zero reason (currently, unless the thread wants me to implement a reason) to carry around more than one of any type of xp evoker, and you can't use any weird inventory/stash micromangement to get around it.

Additionally (thanks to a change that let the lightning rod evocable partially recharge and have a different recharge rate than other evokers), I can tweak the recharge rate of any type of xp evoker if it turns out to be too quick/too slow to recharge based on the strength/frequency of the effect.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Could there be some way to make it so TSO can bless your hands to be holy weapons? Or would some kinda handwrap weapon need to be coded up first?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Captainsalami posted:

Could there be some way to make it so TSO can bless your hands to be holy weapons? Or would some kinda handwrap weapon need to be coded up first?

Man, I miss having a blessed triple crossbow and putting bolts of penetration in it. Storming through hell with the equivalent of a giant holy laser cannon was the poo poo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Captainsalami posted:

Only if Kikubakugan can teach you the Forbidden Kung Fu technique The Fist Of Pain

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Archenteron posted:

Only if Kikubakugan can teach you the Forbidden Kung Fu technique The Fist Of Pain

brb making Troll of Kiku.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

The Chad Blademaster

That's my nickname

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

Archenteron posted:

Yes to both of these, and also let Lucy bless you with distortion fists, or bless hand wraps.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Internet Kraken posted:

The Chad Blademaster

PLEASE make this a unique.
Have it spawn with The Virgin Annihilator who only casts level 1 conjurations

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Alright, think I came up with an XP evoker design for wand of heal wounds that fits the niche of what the wand was mostly for:

Stone of meditation: Evoke to give yourself the Meditate status. While Meditate is active, the user heals for 10 HP + (1*Evo) HP per turn. Meditate wears off when the user takes any action other than waiting, when the user is affected by translocational energy/banishment (voluntarily or involuntarily), when the user is afflicted with Confusion/Paralysis/Petrification, or when the user reaches full HP. Damage does not interrupt it. Does not cure rot.

Occupies your turn for healing (like zapping the wand each turn would). It still fills the "burst emergency healing" for teleporting (before or after) or after a tough fight in dangerous areas, without giving every player (instead of just Ely worshippers) large burst healing to use in combat all the time. Making it not cure rot, or rot might as well not exist (it already kinda doesn't, but even more so).

Let me know if you have a better/more preferred approach (or if you would rather that I just leave wand of heal wounds out of this release and put it in at a later time).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shouldn't we be using the healing power of crystals to power our meditation instead of a generic stone? :v:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

Alright, think I came up with an XP evoker design for wand of heal wounds that fits the niche of what the wand was mostly for:

Stone of meditation: Evoke to give yourself the Meditate status. While Meditate is active, the user heals for 10 HP + (1*Evo) HP per turn. Meditate wears off when the user takes any action other than waiting, when the user is affected by translocational energy/banishment (voluntarily or involuntarily), when the user is afflicted with Confusion/Paralysis/Petrification, or when the user reaches full HP. Damage does not interrupt it. Does not cure rot.

Occupies your turn for healing (like zapping the wand each turn would). It still fills the "burst emergency healing" for teleporting (before or after) or after a tough fight in dangerous areas, without giving every player (instead of just Ely worshippers) large burst healing to use in combat all the time. Making it not cure rot, or rot might as well not exist (it already kinda doesn't, but even more so).

Let me know if you have a better/more preferred approach (or if you would rather that I just leave wand of heal wounds out of this release and put it in at a later time).

Very cool.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Shouldn't we be using the healing power of crystals to power our meditation instead of a generic stone? :v:

Uh then our fingers would be too long to wield weapons. Not a good idea

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

No IV bags to hold them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The name/flavor doesn't really work but the actual design is super solid. I like it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The name/flavor doesn't really work but the actual design is super solid. I like it.

Feel free to propose! I suck at flavor stuff unless it's about puns.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love that design a lot. Don't sell yourself short, FK, that is two for two on really solid evokable designs.

Name: Harp of Healing? The reason you can't stop is that you'd have to take your hand off the harp.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

recorder of repose

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Fr: please come up with a way so unarmed players can take advantage of weapon blessing. I mean, liches have drain touch, maybe theres some way?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Would it be possible to give spectral swords the ability to riposte? I know spectral axes can cleave but I suspect that acts more like a brand

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

I love that design a lot. Don't sell yourself short, FK, that is two for two on really solid evokable designs.

Name: Harp of Healing? The reason you can't stop is that you'd have to take your hand off the harp.

It'd be weird to have a musical instrument not generate noise. If generating noise is fine I like this flavor a lot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

It'd be weird to have a musical instrument not generate noise. If generating noise is fine I like this flavor a lot.

The Hookah of Healing then. It's all perfectly legal, it's medicinal. Optionally surrounds you with random smoke clouds while you heal up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

I'd reflavor it as a petrified heart. Rapid healing in Crawl is typically associated with two things; necromancy or divine power. Doesn't really make sense to just have you will yourself more health. If its a necromancy flavored item then the good gods should probably oppose it but they already have healing options. And hey, maybe with limitations like that the devs will actually consider it for inclusion! (of course not)

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Holy poo poo, what is wrong with this vault?
minmay_the_grid_octo_2x2

I've found it on two different games, and both times I've literally turned a corner into insanely out of depth monsters, and gotten instagibbed.
D:8 capoblepas, deep elf mage, tengu warrior and a red loving dragon.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Tourney and 0.21 are tomorrow. Anyone want to make a new thread or should I just edit this one again? I know there's zero enthusiasm for vanilla here but hey :confuoot:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MrDeSaussure posted:

minmay_the_grid_octo_2x2

quote:

minmay_

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

MrDeSaussure posted:

minmay_the_grid_octo_2x2

I've found it on two different games, and both times I've literally turned a corner into insanely out of depth monsters, and gotten instagibbed.
D:8 capoblepas, deep elf mage, tengu warrior and a red loving dragon.

You weren't playing optimally, obviously

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd reflavor it as a petrified heart. Rapid healing in Crawl is typically associated with two things; necromancy or divine power. Doesn't really make sense to just have you will yourself more health. If its a necromancy flavored item then the good gods should probably oppose it but they already have healing options. And hey, maybe with limitations like that the devs will actually consider it for inclusion! (of course not)

Ru literally grants that power, and Ru's powers are not granted by him so much as self-empowerment. If it's flavoured as a Ru-ish item, it might work as is (and making it meditation is halfway there, honestly).

Or you could go the necromancy route. Whichever works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

jerkstoresup posted:

Tourney and 0.21 are tomorrow. Anyone want to make a new thread or should I just edit this one again? I know there's zero enthusiasm for vanilla here but hey :confuoot:

I'm not even gonna bother with the tourney. Was gonna give it another shot but removing purple chunks was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Prism posted:

Ru literally grants that power, and Ru's powers are not granted by him so much as self-empowerment. If it's flavoured as a Ru-ish item, it might work as is (and making it meditation is halfway there, honestly).

Or you could go the necromancy route. Whichever works better.

Ru gives you the knowledge needed to bend reality to your will, which is a bit more than I'd expect to get from just rubbing a stone.

• Locked thread