Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

While we're on the topic of overrated Swedish defensemen, Oliver Ekman-Larsson is on pace for a solid -64 this season. I think he might want to be traded.

Zodijackylite posted:

Considering veteran 3rd pairing UFAs often get 2-3m over 2-3 years

Roman Polak makes 1.1M and he's worth at least not more than half of that.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
This was a discussion from the Discord but trading Reilly Smith in exchange for making the Knights draft Marchessault has to be one of, if not the worst GM move of the decade, no?

Even with stuff like Weber/Subban and Hall/Larsson, a good piece was coming back. Tallon literally gave those two away.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Yaya posted:

This was a discussion from the Discord but trading Reilly Smith in exchange for making the Knights draft Marchessault has to be one of, if not the worst GM move of the decade, no?

Even with stuff like Weber/Subban and Hall/Larsson, a good piece was coming back. Tallon literally gave those two away.

Just barely within a decade but ATL trading Hossa and Dupuis to Pitt for garbage has got to be up there. Also Forsberg for Erat + Latta. Also Feaster's Ryan O'Reilly offersheet was a really dumb move that just didn't end as badly as it could have.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Thufir posted:

Just barely within a decade but ATL trading Hossa and Dupuis to Pitt for garbage has got to be up there. Also Forsberg for Erat + Latta. Also Feaster's Ryan O'Reilly offersheet was a really dumb move that just didn't end as badly as it could have.

Colby Armstrong sheds a single tear at being called garbage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Add James Van Reimsdyk for Luke Schenn.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Matt Hunwick is currently making 2.25 mil per for 3 years. He is also probably the worst defenseman on the Pens roster.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Duckman2008 posted:

Seguin for some old halloween candy was p good, too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JoelJoel posted:

Seguin for some old halloween candy was p good, too.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Also I think Boston has nothing left from that trade now: Eriksson, Fraser, and Morrow left as FAs and Smith was traded for Hayes who left as an FA.

So Dallas got Seguin and Peverly (RIP) who have combined for 159 goals and 213 assists (and counting) and all those dudes Boston got combined for getting rid of Marc Savard's contract, 117 goals, and 169 assists.

vvv Ah, even better.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 4, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They still have Hayes’ contract because he was bought out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I miss JVR :smith:

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Thufir posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Also I think Boston has nothing left from that trade now: Eriksson, Fraser, and Morrow left as FAs and Smith was traded for Hayes who left as an FA.

So Dallas got Seguin and Peverly (RIP) who have combined for 159 goals and 213 assists (and counting) and all those dudes Boston got combined for getting rid of Marc Savard's contract, 117 goals, and 169 assists.

vvv Ah, even better.

Also, Fraser didn't walk as a free agent, he was waived to Providence and Edmonton claimed him, so they lost him for absolutely nothing when they had other options.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Yaya posted:

It's up there with Forsberg for Erat and McDonagh for Gomez. At least in those two, the crown jewels weren't yet in the NHL.

This one might be the worst, though, for so many reasons. Florida showed all their cards and got burned because of terrible ownership/management.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
*edit* Oops, wrong thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

It's up there with Forsberg for Erat and McDonagh for Gomez. At least in those two, the crown jewels weren't yet in the NHL.

This one might be the worst, though, for so many reasons. Florida showed all their cards and got burned because of terrible ownership/management.

Both of those thought the guy they were getting back was good though.

This is just giving away guys they know are pretty good for nothing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jagr for Carter

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Aphrodite posted:

Both of those thought the guy they were getting back was good though.

This is just giving away guys they know are pretty good for nothing.

Worse, they could've just let Vegas take one, but they had to dump Smith's salary. They couldn't get a 4th round pick for a 30-goal scorer signed for 750k? Seems like the kind of guy the Pens or Hawks would be interested in.

Further, they apparently didn't think Vegas would take Smith if they traded JAM, thinking they would have picked Jussi Jokinen (old/bought out), Derek MacKenzie (old/bad), Colton Sceviour (28-year-old depth forward), Jason Demers (actually good?), or Roberto Luongo (huge contract).

They also gave up much more than they had in cap-dumping moves without a good player in his 20s attached - Bolland's contract went with Crouse (maybe not that good) for a 3rd, and Savard's contract went with a 2nd.

Somehow, they thought neither of these players had value, and the worst case otherwise was losing their 5th defenseman.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just want to come back to say go Knights

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I feel like knights are the new cats.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well the old Cats are busily self-destructing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So how do the lottery odds work again?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Ginette Reno posted:

So how do the lottery odds work again?

here ya go http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I read The Athletic's hypothetical NHLers-on-Teams-USA-and-Canada article the other day, which got me thinking about who would've been on the coaching staffs.

Without really looking, Team USA could've been something like HC Laviolette, with Sullivan, Torts, Hynes in the running as assistants, while Canada would've inevitably been Babcock, with some combination of Boudreau/Quenneville/Cooper/Hitch/Julien as assistants, maybe?

Yaya posted:

Sergei Bobrovsky for 2nd+4th+4th?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
N: Leafs win. :toot:

V:

https://twitter.com/TheFlintor/stat...6pagenumber%3D2

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

He willingly put his hand in there? :barf:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
liable to lose it if you try that

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I reckon hair pulling is against the code

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:tastykake: ???

:tastykake: !!!!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duck Rodgers posted:

I reckon hair pulling is against the code

Didn't Hartnell get his hair pulled in one of those late season Pens/Flyers line brawls the year they also met in the playoffs?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The first sim of this I did ended up Chicago, Isles, Isles (via Calgary).

Im cool with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bout to go play with this for an hour like Benning

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sean Couturier is good at hockey

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

He willingly put his hand in there? :barf:

I think it's more likely Joe's beard attacked first.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

I think it's more likely Joe's beard attacked first.

that means they have to shoot kadri with a silver bullet now

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

that means they have to shoot kadri with a silver bullet now

happens

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
if they don't, kadri grows a full thornton beard by next game night and the threat spreads

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

brent burns will start think everyone is horning in on his beard game

sid still can't grow one though

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/949129371066880000

:confused:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

congrats on your new goalie with hotbrains

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Well that ought to fix everything and get the season turned around in no time. Chiarelli for GMOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm going to the Isles game tomorrow. I don't think it's gonna pretty!

• Locked thread