Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

JaySB posted:

Trap the arm instead for an inverted triangle

I do this too, if only to keep it "judo" legal. I also like pushing the wrist of the triangled arm across their torso for a kimura-like sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

My once-a-month sub tends to be a kimura. The grip itself lends itself to wonderful controls and positions.

Mine tends to be the d'arce. I usually get it from countering bad single legs.

Anyone else have subs they are good at, but they only rarely come up in sparring? I know it's a good day when I hit a rare (for me, anyway) sub.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Mine tends to be the d'arce. I usually get it from countering bad single legs.

Anyone else have subs they are good at, but they only rarely come up in sparring? I know it's a good day when I hit a rare (for me, anyway) sub.

Rear-naked. It's hands down, and by a wide margin, my best and most dangerous sub. I'm proud of my back control abilities and at my ability to finish it. But I hardly get any of them! Against white belts I am typically able to finish them from other positions before getting to the back or before securing back control. Meanwhile, the better guys at my club know about it, and they make sure I rarely get into a position to even think about locking one up.

There are multiple guys who I've never finished even once in regular sparring who I finish regularly if we drill starting from the back.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

(FWIW it's the exact arm bar that Matt Hughes got on GSP in their first match.)

Press that motherfucker into their hip and directly upwards. When they try to get around your head they’ll fall over and you’ll have north south with a kimura grip. The only time it fails me is if my initial kimura grip is weak, so make sure it’s solid before they get around your legs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Press that motherfucker into their hip and directly upwards. When they try to get around your head they’ll fall over and you’ll have north south with a kimura grip. The only time it fails me is if my initial kimura grip is weak, so make sure it’s solid before they get around your legs.

This conversation has made me resolve just to just try it on these guys over and over again until it either works or until my arm breaks.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I like that transition too, and will usually allow people to pass my half guard if I've got the grip just to hit that sweep. I definitely really have to focus on pushing the trapped wrist into their hips/lower abs or risk losing the position. There's also the slick armbar if they try to pull up and away.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm determined to spend 2018 becoming a kimura god-king. It's so versatile and I love leading people into a maze where I have a knowledge advantage.

Jan-Apr: Tighten up fundamental finishes and positional controls (Fabio Holanda DVD/David Avellan DVD/Youtube/My own coach, willingly)
May-Aug: Incorporate more wacky entries and floating in-between positions (Vagner Rocha DVD/David Avellan DVD/Youtube/My own coach, begrudgingly)
Sep-Dec: Invest more time into counter-counter kimuras (Youtube/My own coach, approving but suspicious)

Hopefully at the end my training partners will be so afraid of recounters that they just give up on kimuras altogether.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

EBI 16 was announced to be May 5 in Las Vegas! Featuring Beatriz Mesquita (Black belt IBJJF World Champion), Elvira karppinen (Brown belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion) and Raquel Pa'aluhi Canuto (Black belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

heeebrew posted:

EBI 16 was announced to be May 5 in Las Vegas! Featuring Beatriz Mesquita (Black belt IBJJF World Champion), Elvira karppinen (Brown belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion) and Raquel Pa'aluhi Canuto (Black belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion).

I don't see anything online. But I'm with it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

For those that haven't seen the Lachlan Giles video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLQBxG1ojo

this is the most influential and effective youtube clip i've ever watched. it just clicks with me and i've had success i have no business having with it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I dove into the kimura on the better of the two guys last night and was able to play the position for a bit. I avoided the arm bar entirely (he only mounted me :smugdog:). I learned that what he does is somehow move his body behind his hand so his hand is no longer on his hip, rather it's in his abdomen. He also seemed to be pulling back a bit to take tension off of the key lock frame.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a good way to pass lasso/spider guard from combat base instead of standing?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

Is there a good way to pass lasso/spider guard from combat base instead of standing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYf96-8yiW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwpk8obMtkE&t=213s

JaySB fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 5, 2018

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I learned that what he does is somehow move his body behind his hand so his hand is no longer on his hip, rather it's in his abdomen. He also seemed to be pulling back a bit to take tension off of the key lock frame.

This is beyond my experience, but I'll experiment with it when my gym re-opens and see if I can think of anything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Newest goal - stop having one arm in, one arm out and getting triangled constantly

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

starkebn posted:

Newest goal - stop having one arm in, one arm out and getting triangled constantly
I have really good triangle escapes so I am way too used to loving around with one arm in and one arm out baiting triangles. I need to stop doing that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Same actually. Need to stop sacrificing my floppy arms.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Anyone want to share some of these triangle escapes?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Personally I’ve had by far the most success with this one, from Rener & Ryron Gracie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2rS2dwpNY

I’m definitely open to other suggestions though!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

I have really good triangle escapes so I am way too used to loving around with one arm in and one arm out baiting triangles. I need to stop doing that.

Same. But the difference for me is I'm mostly rolling against blue belts, so when a new brown belt who attacks like Ryan Hall moved to town I started tapping to triangles every day, becuase my escapes which work on everyone else don't work on him.

It's the foundation of my new "don't rely on techniques which rely on people sucking at jits" philosophy.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
RIP Dave Jacobs. Learned a ton from him and the community will be less without him :'(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone got gym recommendations in the tacoma/Olympia Washington area. Gonna be in the area a few times this year and would like to go train some with new people.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Grace Baiting posted:

Personally I’ve had by far the most success with this one, from Rener & Ryron Gracie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR2rS2dwpNY

I’m definitely open to other suggestions though!

My go to is this or the roger gracie escape if my arms are on the opposite side. I'm generally hosed if I can't get both arms to one side though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tried an MMA class for the first time ever this weekend. I've done plenty of striking and grappling separately in the past, but I've never done a workout where we put them together. I learned...

1) How awkward MMA gloves make things like pummeling and wrapping the neck.

2) How exhausting it can be to hand fight against a decent wrestler who has top position on you when strikes are involved.

3) How ridiculously vulnerable boxing-style striking patterns makes you to a takedown.

4) How laughably easy it is to control someone from mount and beat them up against the fence (i.e. I have a new appreciation for fighters who escape those positions).

It was super fun. I'm going to keep going, mostly just to be another body in the gym for my friends who are training to take fights.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

3) How ridiculously vulnerable boxing-style striking patterns makes you to a takedown.
I've heard people on the Internet say a trad karate -style long stance makes it easier to defend takedowns, C/D?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

I've heard people on the Internet say a trad karate -style long stance makes it easier to defend takedowns, C/D?

Well a long stance makes it basically impossible to hit you with a double, so you know that if your opponent shoots it's for a single, and that simplifies defending.

Really the challenge I found is more about weight distribution than stance in that sense. If I'm planted to throw three or four punches, I can't sprawl effectively, and my hands are too high to stuff the head.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Siivola posted:

Sure, wider stance and not being lead leg heavy makes you harder to take down

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Well a long stance makes it basically impossible to hit you with a double, so you know that if your opponent shoots it's for a single, and that simplifies defending.

Really the challenge I found is more about weight distribution than stance in that sense. If I'm planted to throw three or four punches, I can't sprawl effectively, and my hands are too high to stuff the head.
I wonder if that's at least part of the reason why the stereotypical karate stance also has the hands so low? In any case, that's really interesting, thanks.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Cool D'arce setups from bottom side control:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBNb56QFmGs

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey CommonShore, how'd they change judo rules this season? Looks like waza-ari went back to half an ippon, but any other changes?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I realy need to learn no-gi submissions. Everything I'm good at is based around a collar choke

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vaginal facsimile posted:

I realy need to learn no-gi submissions. Everything I'm good at is based around a collar choke

Same but reverse. I keep getting hosed up with collar chokes.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Siivola posted:

Hey CommonShore, how'd they change judo rules this season? Looks like waza-ari went back to half an ippon, but any other changes?

Slight changes to the shidos, 3 instead of 4 I think. Also minor changes to the leg grab rule, I think first leg grab is a shido, 2nd is DQ? Changes to gripping rules. Pistol grip is ok. Cross grip and belt grips are back, but you still can't use them purely defensively. I think they shortened the osaekomi times by 5 seconds as well. Though I can't really remember if those are the new rules or the changes from last time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pistol grip is back in judo? That's crazy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Off the top of my head...

2 wazaari rule is back
Irregular grips are back to immediate attack or penalty, instead of a "reasonable" grace period
Leg grab is just a regular shido
Golden score tiebreaker rules have been changed as to not consider shidos at all anymore.

I should have better internalized these. I'll look up the official sheet and if there's anything I've forgotten I'll add it to the list.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

Slight changes to the shidos, 3 instead of 4 I think. Also minor changes to the leg grab rule, I think first leg grab is a shido, 2nd is DQ? Changes to gripping rules. Pistol grip is ok. Cross grip and belt grips are back, but you still can't use them purely defensively. I think they shortened the osaekomi times by 5 seconds as well. Though I can't really remember if those are the new rules or the changes from last time.

Those were the changes from 2016. They've been updated again as of Jan 1.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The kimura is your friend, quite possibly your best friend.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

This was a relatively interesting analysis of the DDS leg lock game. The text over the video makes it really hard to watch but I think it's good info. I ended up watching a 2nd time and pausing for every new frame basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0lWxwNi84&t=3s

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

guillotines are also incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

JaySB posted:

The kimura is your friend, quite possibly your best friend.

It's Kimura Month at my gym, and I keep getting flashbacks to all of the times when I *could* have used these cool setups while rolling however long ago, except now everyone else knows to look out for those setups.