Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I played Rose, I would be okay with that.

Also is the BBCF lazy character Mai or whatever spear lady is called because I need a brain dead character to play a bit offline but I don't wanna do stupid combos with dashes really gently caress BB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If you want a lazy character pick like Azrael or Tager or something. Maybe Kagura. You'll be dashing in combos a lot with Mai and learning tipper, flip, and spear redirect distances for combos as Mai.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

You can play Mai just fine without all that and use easy chain combos. You won't win much against anyone who knows what they're doing but its good enough to bust folks who don't block at neutral (a higher percentage of players than it really should be given this game's age)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would the characters being able to do throw after throw be a bad thing? Couldn't the opponent just tech out of the throw?

It created the problem where top players would rather just get thrown over and over than miss a tech due to the shimmy/jab, possibly get crush countered because they read it wrong, and then eat 70% of their life.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MechaX posted:

It created the problem where top players would rather just get thrown over and over than miss a tech due to the shimmy/jab, possibly get crush countered because they read it wrong, and then eat 70% of their life.

there's so many solutions to this that don't involve making bad throws even worse, such as making a good game with good baseline damage instead of having everything be like a slap on the wrist except crush counters

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MechaX posted:

Yeah, watching a tournament match where someone lands three to four throws in a row used to be galaxy brain yomi poo poo but it happened like one out of every three rounds at Capcom cup. The problem isn't throws being are good, it's that all the options against them suck poo poo. Capcom's solution: nerf throws in a cartoonishly artificial way.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just use the Smash modifier of No-Throwsies

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pomp posted:

there's so many solutions to this that don't involve making bad throws even worse, such as making a good game with good baseline damage instead of having everything be like a slap on the wrist except crush counters

It would have been cool to see everyone brought up to just slightly below Balrog/Abigail damage instead of just making everyone mostly worse at everything.

I don't even really understand who these nerfs are supposed to appeal to. Pro players don't really care, and I can't imagine a casual is going to even read the notes, and if they did I can't imagine anyone ever being like "oh nice they made everyone lovely, time to play SFV again."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im looking at some of these new vt's and yeash

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vega seemingly have gotten a bunch of buffs, for some loving reason.
It's still just polishing a turd in a pile of shiny turds but I still wonder why they'd decide to do that now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe they're trying to compete with DBFZ?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Maybe they're trying to compete with DBFZ?

Well, there's Ryu, Evil Ryu, Hot Ryu, hmm, you may be onto something.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

old ryu, girl ryu, joke ryu

I'm counting SF4 now though so I guess that doesn't count

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

Im looking at some of these new vt's and yeash

As someone who plays Ed, allow me to inform you what Ed absolutely needed to bring him up was a combo extension V-Trigger. So your options are the V-Trigger that actually gives him mix up options or the that doesn't, but hey if you hit someone you're gonna get a cool looking combo out of it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
They could've just extended throw invulnerability on wakeup to a degree that "meaty throws" aren't possible. Instead they've given you One Frame to time a "meaty throw" and tried to fix the "problem" of them existing by removing the situations you can actually perform them.

The problem is they're then removing situations where you SHOULD get advantage for knocking the other player down. "Throw loops" are only a problem because defensive options are garbage and the risk/reward on everything is hosed. Throws are the least threatening thing, so people will just take throw after throw because at no point is any other option worth the risk. The solution of making throws even worse by removing their situational reward is actually the worst thing they could've done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should put in a throw OS then to fix it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If only throws were one frame and could be done as reversals.....

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is Juri passable yet

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Well, there's Ryu, Evil Ryu, Hot Ryu, hmm, you may be onto something.

i vote for hot ryu in dbzf

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Pomp posted:

I definitely agree that there are definitely too many ways they could have done this. Based on that Ken video comparison floating around, now it just seems like you just comically slide two feet away but if everyone except probably the top 5-7 characters are going to have stubby everything, well..

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, watching a tournament match where someone lands three to four throws in a row used to be galaxy brain yomi poo poo but it happened like one out of every three rounds at Capcom cup. The problem isn't throws being are good, it's that all the options against them suck poo poo. Capcom's solution: nerf throws in a cartoonishly artificial way.

I remember back when SFV first hit, people were blasting the poo poo out of Justin Wong due to eating three grabs in a row, and I get it; getting grabbed that many times in a row usually doesn't seem like something that ever really happens especially if you play at that kind of level. Fast forward to the past year, commentators are now like "I'd rather eat the throw than miss the tech and have this Urien/Balrog/etc run a train on me straight into Stun City, and then do it again."

Like, I know that SFV is usually better in my head than when I actually play it, but the S3 changes so far still are like "is... this really how you want this game to be played?" But eh, we'll see once more stuff trickles in.

... Or I could just play Under Night because learning Yuzuriha is kinda fun despite how I'm rear end with her. Hm.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaX posted:

... Or I could just play Under Night because learning Yuzuriha is kinda fun despite how I'm rear end with her. Hm.

The correct answer by a long shot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive been playing nitro plus

its fun

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Capcom should have looked back at an earlier masterwork in order to learn how to handle throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSn57_FOecg&t=51s

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Anyone hoping for real changes in S3 is very deluded. All of Capcom's previous choices with SFV indicate that that they were never going to fix the fundamental issues with the game

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the best part of these s3 changes is that the most fun sfv character, zeku, is almost literally unchanged.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I pushed the narrative of "why would you tech a throw ever in this game" early on and I feel vindicated by history.

But really why would you, you're better off mashing to blow it up too. It's like some sort of crouch tech monkey paw wish.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The correct answer by a long shot.

Right after that post, I booted up Under Night and played for a bit in Arcade and Training, learning how some of her stuff connects together, and was like "... you know, maybe I should give SFV a chance today." Went and downloaded the update for it and everything.

Played about 5 rounds as Cammy against some good opponents for my lower level, and then sat with the game running for about 2 minutes in pure silence. All I could think of was "... did I have fun with those matches? I... honestly cannot tell." Afterword, I just said gently caress it and booted Under Night back up.

BB Cross Tag needs to stop playing around and put in characters I actually give a drat about across these series

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, like fuckin' Toki

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Good news I got some new art for my Tekken 7 Hori stick. Swapped out the buttons for Sanwas too. The Hayabusa buttons were okay but I’m not going to miss them.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

They could've just extended throw invulnerability on wakeup to a degree that "meaty throws" aren't possible. Instead they've given you One Frame to time a "meaty throw" and tried to fix the "problem" of them existing by removing the situations you can actually perform them.

You'd think that would be the obvious fix but they somehow manage to find new lovely band-aids to pile every time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there a suggested Stick that works for PC/PS4 that is very cheap? I intend on using it for a while before ripping all the insides out and putting it in a custom case when I decide to do that.

Unless it's much cheaper to just buy the PCB/Buttons/Sticks separately with a custom case.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dizz posted:

Is there a suggested Stick that works for PC/PS4 that is very cheap? I intend on using it for a while before ripping all the insides out and putting it in a custom case when I decide to do that.

Unless it's much cheaper to just buy the PCB/Buttons/Sticks separately with a custom case.

How much you looking to spend? I got a spare TE2 I could sell, great condition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Dont buy anything new for less that 149.99 or youre asking for trouble (unless its a sale)

Buy used quality if you need cheep.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

if you wanna roll your own you can do this-

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120 - art's hobbies does a cool acrylic case, they're well cut and go together nicely. You can even pick button configs like hitbox/viewlex/sega/capcom 6 button/weirdo MK and get sikk as gently caress etchings of your gamertag and waifu on it. takes a couple weeks to ship but he's a really good dude. Starts around 50 bucks and goes up with options.

https://www.focusattack.com/ist-pre-installed-brook-ps3-ps4-pc-fight-board-pcb-kit/ . 42 bucks gets you the board and all the wires you need.

https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/ sanwa jlf with plate and no balltop, 18 bucks

then you need buttons- Sanwas are like 2-3 bucks each. figure 8 30mm and 2 24mm for select/start. say 25 bucks.

and a balltop is like 3 bucks

figure like 140 with shipping. this is the cheapest route that i would want to use myself, probably just do 6 button and a battop like a real g though

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I was looking to spend maybe 80-90 on one now if possible, and buying a custom case for it later when I accumulate money later. I will also take a look at those links. thanks!

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dizz posted:

I was looking to spend maybe 80-90 on one now if possible, and buying a custom case for it later when I accumulate money later. I will also take a look at those links. thanks!

do not bother buying a 90 dollar stick, you will regret it and upgrading its case wont fix the poo poo tier pcb that will come on a 90 dollar stick

buying something good like a panthera or an obsidian out the gate negates the need to fix whatever is broken or terrible about your stick later. if you think you will enjoy playing on stick or you already do, then the worst thing you can do is to buy a lovely one. its the equivalent of saying you want to start playing the piano and buying a meowing cat keyboard

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zand posted:

do not bother buying a 90 dollar stick, you will regret it and upgrading its case wont fix the poo poo tier pcb that will come on a 90 dollar stick

buying something good like a panthera or an obsidian out the gate negates the need to fix whatever is broken or terrible about your stick later. if you think you will enjoy playing on stick or you already do, then the worst thing you can do is to buy a lovely one. its the equivalent of saying you want to start playing the piano and buying a meowing cat keyboard

seriously don't waste money on these sticks

i've played with enough mayflash grey market crap

If you wanna go cheaper then the Hori Fighting Commander pad is legit good and worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed-4/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

link above is the newer model, old one has a dial that adjusts the d-pad orientation and it sucks. One i linked is rock solid, works on ps3/4/pc, and it's 40 bucks

you'll have a much easier and better time using that then most anything you'd find for under $150. people aren't saying it to be dicks, we've all done it before and regret it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Zand posted:

its the equivalent of saying you want to start playing the piano and buying a meowing cat keyboard

This backfiring really hard to me, but I do get what you're saying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you wanna spend less than 90 youre gonna have to get a pad, no stick at that price is worth it. Hell, a dualshock 4 alone is like 60 - 70 dollars these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

seriously don't waste money on these sticks

i've played with enough mayflash grey market crap

If you wanna go cheaper then the Hori Fighting Commander pad is legit good and worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Officially-Licensed-4/dp/B01GVOFIAA/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

link above is the newer model, old one has a dial that adjusts the d-pad orientation and it sucks. One i linked is rock solid, works on ps3/4/pc, and it's 40 bucks

you'll have a much easier and better time using that then most anything you'd find for under $150. people aren't saying it to be dicks, we've all done it before and regret it.

I bought the older version of this and it works great. Not sure what the issues are supposed to be but it's been rock solid for me.