Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

congrats on your new goalie with hotbrains

Queue the rebuild

In niemi we trust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

so that basically means Habs lost Condon on waivers for no good reason

At least Lindgren is good

fire bergevin

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

FBS posted:

Well that ought to fix everything and get the season turned around in no time. Chiarelli for GMOTY

It is his least terrible trade in recent memory--mine anyway. So yay!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yaya posted:

This was a discussion from the Discord but trading Reilly Smith in exchange for making the Knights draft Marchessault has to be one of, if not the worst GM move of the decade, no?

Even with stuff like Weber/Subban and Hall/Larsson, a good piece was coming back. Tallon literally gave those two away.

This had a lot to do with the Cats needing to cut long term contracts and get cheaper. They weren't going to sign Marchessault no matter what and wanted out of Smith's contract. They were also signing Dadonov who they expected to replace a lot of that offense.

Its still not a good trade, but its not a pure hockey trade like those other two deals were.

I also think Eberle/Strome might be as bad or worse than Hall/Larsson. Larsson at least filled a need even if it was a ridiculous overpay. Strome is just a guy.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

yellowcar posted:

fire bergevin

So either Lindgren sits on the bench 60 games a year or Niemi keeps playing in the NHL...

All for a 4th...

Fire Bergevin.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its gonna be a 5th, cause Montoya isn't playing 7 games unless Talbot gets hurt.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

fire bergevin

Losing Condon for nothing is a proud GM tradition

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Ginette Reno posted:

bout to go play with this for an hour like Benning

I didn't realize the nucks were already in 28th place :lol:

glad my prediction of a bottom 5 finish is bearing out

I'll only be really happy if Boeser wins the calder while on this bottom feeder team though

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Losing Condon for nothing is a proud GM tradition

didn't the pens trade him for a pick?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its gonna be a 5th, cause Montoya isn't playing 7 games unless Talbot gets hurt.

He's also still hotbrained which makes the trade even more baffling

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

didn't the pens trade him for a pick?

I think they might've actually, but that was after holding onto him and not playing him at all like dicks

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
uh but you see, oilers had to dump eberle and his 6m$ contract for the cap space, so they could use it this season on

oh

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

yellowcar posted:

He's also still hotbrained which makes the trade even more baffling

Aren't you not allowed to trade injured players?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Suspicious posted:

Aren't you not allowed to trade injured players?

as long as the injury is fully disclosed theres no issue

otherwise all those old dead players on perma-ltir wouldnt have been able to have their contracts traded

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

i am the bird posted:

Waiting for the news that Detroit could’ve had Taylor Hall for Jonathan Ericsson.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I read The Athletic's hypothetical NHLers-on-Teams-USA-and-Canada article the other day, which got me thinking about who would've been on the coaching staffs.

Without really looking, Team USA could've been something like HC Laviolette, with Sullivan, Torts, Hynes in the running as assistants, while Canada would've inevitably been Babcock, with some combination of Boudreau/Quenneville/Cooper/Hitch/Julien as assistants, maybe?

Sergei Bobrovsky for 2nd+4th+4th?

tippett

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Get better soon Forsberg :ohdear:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/949152298520866816

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

iospace posted:

Get better soon Forsberg :ohdear:

There are 10 points separating first and last in the Central right now. Injuries to key players (Crawford :smith:) are probably going to determine who makes the playoffs and who doesnt.

e: 11 points separating first and last in the Metro too. Carolina stomping the Pens twice in the last week(ish?) has moved them into a wild card spot. :lol:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I hate the central.

I love the central.

If nothing else, the Avs won their fourth straight, shutting out the bluejackets, somehow.

We haven't won four straight in almost two years. I we get one more win and three more points we'll have as many as last year. :psyduck:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Duchene was the bad egg this whole time.

Bring back Roy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This had a lot to do with the Cats needing to cut long term contracts and get cheaper. They weren't going to sign Marchessault no matter what and wanted out of Smith's contract. They were also signing Dadonov who they expected to replace a lot of that offense.

Its still not a good trade, but its not a pure hockey trade like those other two deals were.

I think it's worse because they managed to give away two assets as part of a salary dump that didn't need to happen, simply because their management is completely incompetent. The Smith salary dump wasn't for cap reasons, it was because idiot owners came in and threw money around, failed horribly then decided to cut costs. They treated two excellent players like they were negative assets.

At worst, JAM was worth more than Smith's salary dump, the loss of a player in the expansion draft, and the 4th round pick they got. Regardless of whether or nothing they were re-signing him, a more cap-pressed team would have loved the guy.

They signed Smith to an extension on July 3 the year before. He's 26 and signed through age 30. This isn't hard decline territory, and it also shows their complete lack of confidence in their talent evaluation. Arguably, his off-year was part of the Panthers off-year, contributed to by their horrible management, who fired the coach in embarrassing fashion during a stretch of bad luck/injuries, and replaced him by a guy who sucked at coaching. Both years, Smith was 6th on the team in scoring, but it was all-around lower than the year before. Smith succeeded under Gallant, and obviously they worked well together. A more shrewd negotiator might've figured out that Vegas might have an interest in him due to that, and he might be more alluring than the depth defenseman they exposed. Worse, they protected 4D in addition to having an auto-protected Matheson, who plays 20m+ per night and earned a long extension. They protected Petrovic over BOTH of those forwards, a guy who has been healthy scratched in favor of two rookies, while being #6 of 7 in TOI with 14:39 per game.

Instead, they gave up two top forwards who had great success under the coach the Panthers also tossed aside. If they continue to succeed, this goes down as the second worst trade in NHL history after the time the Golden Seals traded cash and the #1 overall (Guy Lafleur) for the #10 and a guy who hadn't played an NHL game and turned out to not be very good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Bring back Roy.

How is he going to GM Montreal and coach Colorado at the same time? :confused:

LumpyGumby posted:

I hate the central.

I love the central.

This is me right now. I love how quickly teams can turn around in this division, makes for a tight and fun playoff race. I also hate that because its so tight and competitive a rough patch or key injury can totally gently caress your whole season.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm going to the Isles game tomorrow. I don't think it's gonna pretty!

The game won't for sure... And it will get even uglier after the Pens lose again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/949317621534609408

With Eddie Lack gone and Jagr potentially leaving I can go back to hating the Flames guilt free!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Martin Marincin’s reign of terror is over!

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/949320529046945792?s=17

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I clicked Sim Lottery and the loving Pens got #1. gently caress that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I clicked Sim Lottery and the loving Pens got #1. gently caress that.

I ran it for the first time yesterday and somehow got 1. Pittsburgh 2. NYI (from CAL) and 3. NYI. There was a less than 5% chance of each of those teams winning the draw. I hate that dumb lottery simulator, it provides too much false hope.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I got Edmonton for #1...

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

I know he's gonna take a bit to get used to the flow of the game but yay.

The bad thing is he'll probably he paired with Polak.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton/status/949342034829152256

Never loving mind I guess?

Lou retire.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/949331573043793921

:stonk: that doesn't sound pleasant

e: after looking it up, it's even less pleasant. They're removing a rib or so...considering one of the reasons to have rib resection is to treat thoracic outlet syndrome which is basically compression of the nerves and vascular structures between the neck and shoulder area basically, it could be related to the arm swelling/blood clot issue he has which ultimately makes this all sound like a kind of big and scary deal

e2: I guess this is what Stamkos had and the surgery he had done

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 5, 2018

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Apparently this is what happened to Stamkos but Kreider is having a portion of the rib removed where as Stamkos had the whole rib removed?

Both of these things sound very bad and dangerous regardless, even though apparently they’re helping.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Probably pretty much out for the rest of the season. Maybe he'll be back for the playoffs if the Rangers make it...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

Probably pretty much out for the rest of the season. Maybe he'll be back for the playoffs if the Rangers make it...

Sounds like a chicago cap cheating opportunity.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Sounds like a chicago cap cheating opportunity.

Florida has to be involved in some way for these to work.

Or I guess in the Rangers case, Montreal.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Furnaceface posted:

Pacioretty!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Furnaceface posted:

I'm referring to the Kane on LTIR until the playoffs thing they did.

But I'll absolutely take Patches.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/vowswithinhb/status/949362601389166592

Not the best quality, but Glenn Gulutzan is a big, embarrassing baby. TSN has a better video on their site.

https://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/must-see-gulutzan-rips-his-team-in-stick-tossing-tirade~1297384

e: edited in a better version

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 5, 2018

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/949317621534609408

With Eddie Lack gone and Jagr potentially leaving I can go back to hating the Flames guilt free!

https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/949361012897144832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Temper tantrums are very effective at motivating adult men.

• Locked thread