Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

doing a tribal start right now and lemme tell ya, researching a/c at long last feels just great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dunno why RT Fuses isn't core yet, but stop complaining about your lovely Mad Max wiring jobs and go research surge protectors you goddamn goons.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Coolguye posted:

now that blights make something resembling sense.

New blights are loving horrible micromanagement hell

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
They're a million times better than "poof 90% of all your crops of all types disappear", at least it's actually something you can respond to and mitigate even if it's not the funnest activity :shrug:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, blight used to just destroy everything in one go. Even so I still plant a field of Barley courtesy of Vegetable Garden as it's resistant to blight just in case I miss some pruning.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

The traps are only to thin out the raids a little bit, and yeah no I don't mean vanilla especially, although if you started out Spacer and went straight to powered armor you could probably do just as well as with Medieval Times. Plasteel melee weapons and melee shields are both vanilla and are extremely cool and good. I do recommend a mending mod though, or something that lessens or removes equipment wear and tear because tbh it's pretty stupid to have one fight and have everyone's armor be in tatters.

e: in fact I can't get through a game day any more with my current colony without a crash and it takes so long to restart/reload that heck I'll try that and see how it works :shrug:

And colonists are such whiny fashionista about gear too, I think Tynan got a bit carried away with the amount of debuffs clothes can give. They should at least scale based on colony wealth. Your bionic supersoldier has survived crash landing on a planet, the harsh environment, savage wildlife, ruthless raiders, but oh em gee if that BITCH Cindy doesn't stop copying my look I'm going to SCREAM. Great, now my hat has a rip in it. Fine, I'll burn this whole building down.

Speaking of you and clothing woes:

Flesh Forge posted:

Speaking of weak points, if you have a map that swings from really really hot to really really cold, that is incredibly loving annoying, you have to micromanage people's outfits every season. I have pools of both warm and cold weather gear but many of them just won't change clothes unless forced :shrug:

Belated but Better Pawn Control by VoulT lets you set macro clothing and drug and area policies so you can finally say its winter, everyone put on a parka, hang out in the barn and smoke crack, RIGHT NOW in one click.

Wafflecopper posted:

Hold shift and click each plant ya dummy. But yeah whack a mole is irritating when its an emergency and you have to tell goddamn everyone that yes, yes this is your job, keep doing it. I might start putting incendiary IEDs in fields as a sprinkler system of death. That's farming the space redneck way!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

wit posted:

And colonists are such whiny fashionista about gear too, I think Tynan got a bit carried away with the amount of debuffs clothes can give. They should at least scale based on colony wealth. Your bionic supersoldier has survived crash landing on a planet, the harsh environment, savage wildlife, ruthless raiders, but oh em gee if that BITCH Cindy doesn't stop copying my look I'm going to SCREAM. Great, now my hat has a rip in it. Fine, I'll burn this whole building down.

Pretty sure that's not vanilla, all my colonists are in a matching devilstrand/alpaca wool uniform and loving it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I'm new to this and trying to click on every single crop is uh, not fun

wit posted:

Hold shift and click each plant ya dummy. But yeah whack a mole is irritating when its an emergency and you have to tell goddamn everyone that yes, yes this is your job, keep doing it. I might start putting incendiary IEDs in fields as a sprinkler system of death. That's farming the space redneck way!

I'll try this but I think clicking twice in a grow zone selects the zone

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

wish the fuckin game would just play itself, jesus do I have to do everything?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Jackie D posted:

Yeah I'm new to this and trying to click on every single crop is uh, not fun

I'll try this but I think clicking twice in a grow zone selects the zone

you should be able to make your cursor the "cut plants" tool by selecting it in orders

then you don't have to hold anything, just single click each blighted plant

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Whining about identical clothing is from the psychology mod.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Probably late to the party, but the ending credits song when you finally "beat" the game is pretty tits.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I have played this game since like aloha 10 or some poo poo and have never beaten it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You should at least launch a muffalo into space just so you can see the end song. I'm not big into music but it really fits the game surprisingly well.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Whining about identical clothing is from the psychology mod.

Huh. I thought it was just bundled into A18. Thank god though, it has an off button. You're supposed to be slaves, why is someone else wearing the same colour jumpsuit your biggest beef with this situation?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

The Dinosauria mod has completely changed the way my colonists hunt for food. Instead of using the manager desk to zero-effort hunt elk and boars, I end up drafting hunting parties of 7-8 shooters and head out in search of the giant sauropods. One Diplodocus drops 1800 meat, so you really only need one per season and a big rear end freezer and you are set. They, however, can be a real problem if the initial volley of fire doesn't bring it down since they hit like super-thrumbos. I'm really enjoying the mod.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
My brontosaurus Rio has been my main tank for the entirety of my current playthrough... despite having multiple brain injuries and bionic/prosthetic limbs at this point.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I keep meaning to try that mod, but the predators scare the poo poo out of me.

Like there's enough horror to deal with out in the rim, primordial reptile creatures that hunt in packs are too much.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

I keep meaning to try that mod, but the predators scare the poo poo out of me.

Like there's enough horror to deal with out in the rim, primordial reptile creatures that hunt in packs are too much.

I was worried about that too, but it's not much more than a normal play through. The raptors and large carnivores mostly kill and eat other wildlife, with the occasional colonist attack. The only time it became a noticeable problem was winter in a boreal forest and no other wildlife was to be found. I think the added dangers are pretty balanced and are greatly offset by the rewards.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Last night I had a deer heard migration run past my colony. I figured, oh hey free meat, shot one and set the whole heard into revenge mode.

Have you ever mortared a heard of deer trying to break down your doors? Turns out the pile of caltrops I put inside of my doors was a GREAT decision because they all bunched up on them.

2 shots for like 30 dead deer. Now I need to build a 2nd freezer before i unsuspend butchering.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Prophecy120 posted:

I was worried about that too, but it's not much more than a normal play through. The raptors and large carnivores mostly kill and eat other wildlife, with the occasional colonist attack. The only time it became a noticeable problem was winter in a boreal forest and no other wildlife was to be found. I think the added dangers are pretty balanced and are greatly offset by the rewards.

I just wish it wasn't absolute insanity to try and tame them.

My forest is covered in T-rexes, send help

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The irrational self-destructive bloodlust of rimworld's animal life is one of my favorite parts of the game. While even ruthless sociopathic slave raiders crack under the pressure, this insane swarm of beavers will show you no such mercy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

wit posted:

Speaking of you and clothing woes:

Belated but Better Pawn Control by VoulT lets you set macro clothing and drug and area policies so you can finally say its winter, everyone put on a parka, hang out in the barn and smoke crack, RIGHT NOW in one click.

I'll look at this, thanks!

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Ruggan posted:

you should be able to make your cursor the "cut plants" tool by selecting it in orders

then you don't have to hold anything, just single click each blighted plant

Check out this page here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17094.0

The "New Zone Tools" mod has a blight cut tool. Easy peasy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any mods that remove the negative effects of being drunk? Or the organ damage other drugs eventually cause?

Quill18 is doing a DF run where everyone is an alcohol addict and it looks like fun but I don't really want to deal with everyone walking slower and having a manipulation penalty in addition to the logistical challenges of brewing massive quantities of alcohol.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The best way of taming dinosaurs is through buying their eggs off traders and letting them hatch, downing something and hoping the 1% heal tame thing happens, or random "became tame" events. The 20% critical fail is nasty.

What's particularly fun of a drug run where there are no consequences?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
EPORE lets you replace trashed organs and install ais to counteract brain damage. And I guess going full $1million pawn on everyone would at least mitigate the penalties of being high, if it's that much of a dealbreaker.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A colony of psychite and alcohol addicted cyborgs controlled by AI chips.

It's the alternate universe Cylons who just wanted to be like humans so they could get high every day.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

LLSix posted:

Are there any mods that remove the negative effects of being drunk? Or the organ damage other drugs eventually cause?

Quill18 is doing a DF run where everyone is an alcohol addict and it looks like fun but I don't really want to deal with everyone walking slower and having a manipulation penalty in addition to the logistical challenges of brewing massive quantities of alcohol.

EPOE is the most hilarious and therefore correct answer. Its actually a very interesting idea. How would you whip a bunch of drunks into a free society of functional alcoholics?

If I were doing it I would make a custom scenario of several scientists drunkenly crashlanding on their way back from a glitterworld medical conference starting with hangovers and give them Comms and the EPOE research tree to begin with, presuming they'd know all that stuff. Also I'd have plenty of ship chunk drops so they could quickly mcguyver their ship into something useful. I wouldn't give them guns, the idea of a bunch of drunken nerds staggering around with bows and arrows looking to kill a rabbit out of desperation cracks me up.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could stagger out the colonist's allowed beer days by opting them into the policy on different days, that way insuring you always have at least one or two of them drunk.

As for long term effects. Just have a drunk as hell surgeon start handing out free checkups for visitors and prisoners, I'm sure with his enhanced coordination the hospital floor will be covered in tonnes of healthy livers he can attempt to put into his fellow rummies in no time. And if they end up with brain damage from all the drinking he can perform brain surgery on them! And If that doesn't go as planned they'll at least have plenty of time in a hospital bed to get over the DTs since they probably lost a leg or two while he was playing beer pong over the operating table.

You'd want to be keeping in comms with any passing nutjobs that happen to be looking to trade you livers and brain stimulators for booze because alcohol SHOULD be the solution.

I've had it installed but never bothered with the options until you reminded me about it.

Its beautiful :allears: I should have made more of these ancient dangers come to think of it. I'll monkey around a bit more, but I'd love to build from a large abandoned kowloon like this.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'll look at this, thanks!
Here's hoping he adds work assignment policies in the next update!

Completely unrelated to anything, but was just wondering how much of a seed is the same now that place names have been added?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wit posted:

EPOE is the most hilarious and therefore correct answer. Its actually a very interesting idea. How would you whip a bunch of drunks into a free society of functional alcoholics?

If I were doing it I would make a custom scenario of several scientists drunkenly crashlanding on their way back from a glitterworld medical conference starting with hangovers and give them Comms and the EPOE research tree to begin with, presuming they'd know all that stuff. Also I'd have plenty of ship chunk drops so they could quickly mcguyver their ship into something useful. I wouldn't give them guns, the idea of a bunch of drunken nerds staggering around with bows and arrows looking to kill a rabbit out of desperation cracks me up.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could stagger out the colonist's allowed beer days by opting them into the policy on different days, that way insuring you always have at least one or two of them drunk.

If you install some of the Vegetable Garden mods, then you could also make various alcoholic drinks out of excess corn, rice, potatoes, or fruit you grow. That way you could put everyone on a "Every 8 days" staggered intoxication with a little micro - and make it so they drink 1 beer, 1 bottle of whisky, 1 bottle of rum, 1 bottle of tequila, 1 bottle of moonshine, 1 bottle of wine... and keep going down the line since there's also berry wine (in addition to grape wine). Then, at that colonist's assigned every 8 day bender, they just go and drink as many as they can before they pass out.

This is too good of a scenario and you need to make it Steam workshop available with flavor text.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My favorite park of the mental break where colonists help prisoners escape is that as soon as they convince the prisoners to escape they go back to being a normal pawn and open fire on the escaping prisoners, making it seem like some sort of "The Most Dangerous Game" scenario.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The problem with how it is now is anytime you have a tolerance flag there is a random chance you will pop and incurable disease. So eventually they will get something where your only option is surgery if you are lucky or luci. Im not sure what pops for alcohol but the wiki has all the stats and diseases that will pop from each drug.

You can juggle drug addictions to an extent but its a lot to micro and it always gets away from me and lord i have tried. Even on base builder your colony will be your enemy and its really hard to keep everything in check. I even bring a teetotal or two to babysit. Vanilla its way too harsh imo.

Dont gently caress with pyros and ive never done alcohol colonies but id bet chemical interest would manage to kill themselves on a bender if thats possible on alcohol. If you have other drugs around they definetly will kill themselves its a matter of time.

Disarm the poo poo starters and have plenty of clubs. Id probably avoid a strong melee character with any weird flaws because eventually that will get out of hand too. Strong social is good to get a quick turnaround on recruiting if you have to arrest any of them. But since they are all gonna be alcoholics you wanna build reserves because you cant rely on any of them. Hospitality mod helps a lot on these runs.

Welp, i guess im firing up rimworld tonight lol.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm pretty sure alcohol's negative effects are some sort of (progressive?) liver damage, which makes you super vulnerable to infections and secondary diseases, even if it's not bad enough to die from the liver damage alone. You might be able to have a colonist stay alcoholic forever with no long-term side effects as long as they have a synthetic liver and they don't drink so much in a single sitting that they die from consciousness loss.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I had a pawn that was REALLY into smokeleaf get dual carcinomas. Surprising how long you can last like that on herbal meds.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

YOTC posted:

I had a pawn that was REALLY into smokeleaf get dual carcinomas. Surprising how long you can last like that on herbal meds.

I had a chicken around people smoking smoke leaf get carcinomas. Sadly I didn't get to see how that ended as man hunter wargs killed everyone shortly after the diagnosis.

Now that I can survive the early game and get a colony going that makes it past the first winter, I'm finding the game starting to drag. there isn't really much to build, I have enough colonists that most jobs get done without much micromanaging, and I just put it to full speed and wait for the next raid.

What should I be doing? Is starting to run trade caravans the next step? I guess I should probably start doing the events on other squares when they pop up, but going to wipe out a bandit camp or whatever is slightly terrifying.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah it's time to go explore the world. Pirate bases can be tough for a new player, so if you really want, you could send a single colonist on a recon mission to the nearest so you can get an idea of what you're up against. Most of my pirate bases end up being ~6-10 pirates with a turret and decent weapons.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

What should I be doing?

Using EPOE? Use bionic to break the game hard. Base game? Figure out all the fun you can have with transport pods. Caravanning sucks, even with several mods. Your pawns have mental breaks nonstop because there's no friggin horseshoe pin on the road.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

What should I be doing?

Browse the mods library and see if there is anything featuring something you want to do. Want to run a nuclear power plant? There's a mod for that. Fancy Command and Conquer? There's one for that too. Dinosaurs, more furniture, different flavors of weapons, if you want it there is probably a mod for it.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Last night I had my entire barn light on fire when a boomalope spontaneously combusted. Still haven't figured out how it happened. 900 degree barn as my hay pile lit up.

So now I have a chicken that is somehow alive despite not having a beak, or either leg and like 5 other burn scars.
The rest of the flock roasted alive but like 3/4 boomalopes escaped. I feel that putting the chicken down is cheaper the the pile of prosthetics id have to make to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Stuff it full of wood prosthetics as practice for your doctors.

The boomalope probably died of natural causes.