Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Given their ties to the intradimensional horrors hostile to all intelligent life that point is not a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dance Officer posted:

Terra is going to flip into a jingoist reactionary government. Terran fleets are recalled to the Sol system to quell the rebellions, forcing Mars to redeploy fleets to Sol as well. Terra hates Mars even more than during Putin's days, anti-kasag forces stripped away to protect Mars, Mars itself faces major unrest and possibly insurgency.

Dominion of Sol is a complete disaster, goons ruin everything, Nevets and cohorts got owned by reality.

:qq:

The plan is doing exactly what it's supposed to. We're looking at the fall of the Soviet Union here, all the satellite states (pun not intended) are gonna spin off and leave us as the dominant superpower. If Ceres succeeds, the whole house of cards is gonna come crashing down, so we need to make sure they do.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 5, 2018

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Not Alex posted:

Given their ties to the intradimensional horrors hostile to all intelligent life that point is not a given.

Which ties would those be, exactly? The baseless, entirely speculative sort?

Crazycryodude posted:

The plan is doing exactly what it's supposed to. We're looking at the fall of the Soviet Union here, all the satellite states (pun not intended) are gonna spin off and leave us as the dominant superpower. If Ceres succeeds, the whole house of cards is gonna come crashing down, so we need to make sure they do.

We're looking at the fall of the Soviet Union, except the military and secret police are still loyal and are going to loving wreck everyone within reach.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They're not, though? They're loyal to themselves and keeping their nice dachas/orbital habs, not any ideology and definitely not Junior. They can keep all their nice poo poo on Earth, as long as they let most of the colonies go peacefully and help against the Crabs. We're not gonna come topple them as well just for ideology's sake or whatever not yet, anyways

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

They're not, though? They're loyal to themselves and keeping their nice dachas/orbital habs, not any ideology and definitely not Junior. They can keep all their nice poo poo on Earth, as long as they let most of the colonies go peacefully and help against the Crabs.

Sure, not to Putin II, but they're loyal to United Terra and the hardliners in their command structure. They've experienced a couple of years of bad government under a new leader they dislike and plan to replace at the first opportunity to bring the Good Old Days back, not decades of their entire polity going down the tubes and their country's ideology being shown beyond any doubt to be a load of self-serving bullshit thrown around by the ruling class.

quote:

We're not gonna come topple them as well just for ideology's sake or whatever

You realise nobody believes you when you say this sort of thing, right?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

not yet, anyways
:ssh:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Yeah, I probably should've left the spoiler-tagged bit in that quote.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Alright, so how about at this point, we offer Zu Putina the devil's bargain? We back her up, keep her relatively reformist regime on Earth, break the back of the generals cabal when they move to crush Ceres, etc... And in exchange, Earth becomes second among equals in the new, slightly less repressive 'emergency government' formed to address the Krab threat. All human colonies will be a part of the new human federality (announce this part as a fait accompli AFTER we're done, so the IC remnants don't backstab us as much), and any colonies will be given a choice of Independence and representation, or continued incorporation (the carrot there being that voting members will have higher expected contribution to the war effort)

I mean, it's AN end game here, which we seem to be otherwise lacking.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Ceebees posted:

Alright, so how about at this point, we offer Zu Putina the devil's bargain? We back her up, keep her relatively reformist regime on Earth, break the back of the generals cabal when they move to crush Ceres, etc... And in exchange, Earth becomes second among equals in the new, slightly less repressive 'emergency government' formed to address the Krab threat. All human colonies will be a part of the new human federality (announce this part as a fait accompli AFTER we're done, so the IC remnants don't backstab us as much), and any colonies will be given a choice of Independence and representation, or continued incorporation (the carrot there being that voting members will have higher expected contribution to the war effort)

This is the workings of a plan I can get behind, potentially having a UT fleetgroup destroyed in Sol would definitely be a major blow to the hardline generalship. Whether or not it's destroyed at our hands or the 'surprisingly well organized Ceres colonists' is not quite as important.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Crazycryodude posted:

If by doing exactly what it's supposed to do you mean keeping Earth a superpower and super angry with us then yes I agree. I'm really not seeing how you can think that earth minus a few million people here and there in the colonies is going to hurt them much. Earth itself has 10 times the population that Mars has, and industrial capacity in the same order of magnitude. Even Earth without Luna is still the biggest, baddest boy in the system, by a long way. Never mind the fact that Earth still has enough interplanetary nukes to rid the rest of the solar system of all life, so MAD is still very much in effect.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Affi posted:

Escalating this situation is crazy. You don't get between a mad dog and his favourite bone.

So how the gently caress do the dominion of sol people expect this to work out?
Is this where earth backs down and submits?

The plan was simultaneously stated to be for war to break out and for Mars to win, or for war not to break out and the next Terran government to be more cooperative than Putina.
If we intervene at least we can get something out of this, at the cost of risking nuclear hellfire.
Edit: I'm not suggesting we send our fleet to orbit Ceres, but that we recognize Ceres' independence and have the fleet in system as a deterrent against a Terran invasion or bombardment.
But perhaps you're right and even that is too much, we should definitely recognize them diplomatically immediately when they take control, and we should be ready to move in reaction to any Terran fleet movements. We cannot allow them to reimpose tyranny.

Not Alex posted:

No, you shoot mad dogs.

I can't speak to the plan creators, but I voted for it to flush out the illuminati agents and allow all parties to make informed decisions. It seems successful.

Imagine if this unrest was happening while our fleets were tied up in the krab war.

Our main fleet is actually tied up in Ranganui on defense in the crab war.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 5, 2018

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

RA Rx posted:

The plan is for war to break out and for Mars to win, or for war not to break out and the next Terran government to be more cooperative than Putina.

If we intervene at least we can get something out of this, at the cost of risking nuclear hellfire.

If war breaks out, the interplanetary missiles fly and everyone loses. If the Terran government is replaced, it'll be by the hardliners, Earth Firsters or some alliance of the two. If we intervene, we choose option one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ceebees posted:

Ceebees posted:

It's the least crazy plan I've heard since half the thread voted to commit suicide. I can see a couple ways it can go wrong, but that's still fewer than the current madness. You've got my vote. Any port in an ion storm and all that.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
So here's the crazy idea, and bear with me for this.

We know that Putina's having trouble with the military command, and we'd also like for Ceres to not be their Sword of Damocles in the belt behind us. Putina is also likely to be the most amenable person to work with out of anyone we've seen in the UT (it's a low bar I know).

So let's see if we can get her to help us help her so to speak.

Namely what I refer to as Operation Kornilov. Alternately Operation Lavr's Lament.
At least officially UT has to be upset with losing Ceres, it's a pain in the rear end and they have to station a huge force to hold it, but they can't just give it up. So what we do is Putina will 'order' some hardliner UT fleet element to go suppress Ceres, if they don't and mutiny then Putina can deal with it there, but the military will likely jump at the chance to prove they can do things and to showboat a victory. So the UT elements depart for Ceres and after a day or so Putina makes a big not that she did not order them to depart and they're basically declared traitors/rebels/whatever. This gives us a reason to shoot at them, particularly if asked to by Putina to 'protect the UT citizens of Ceres from these rebels' or some wording. We can clean up part of the UT fleet, Putina gets to crack down on the hardliners and likely removes one of their key figures, Ceres will likely manage Independence, particularly if TFS or someone else recognizes it and starts sending aid, and we may even avoid a full war between Mars and the UT.

Also a UT battlegroup getting mopped up in Sol will definitely be egg on the face of the UT military, which presumably Putina wouldn't mind as it'll keep them off balance and her in power.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That sounds like a good salvage plan, except Putina has no reason to trust us right now, nor could we trust her much after betraying her.
Ceebee's plan is broader, and if we're going to get her to sell out, it has to be complete.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

RA Rx posted:

Our main fleet is actually tied up in Ranganui on defense in the crab war.

Where did you get this from? It's should only be Third and Titan fleet there. Home and second should still be in Sol

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 5, 2018

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

RA Rx posted:

That sounds like a good salvage plan, except Putina has no reason to trust us right now, nor could we trust her much after betraying her.
Ceebee's plan is broader, and if we're going to get her to sell out, it has to be complete.

Agreed, but part of Putina selling out may be us helping her get rid of some of the 'less helpful' elements of her navy/army as they'll likely not quite go quietly with the idea of being in a federation/confederation/dominion/timeshare plan that doesn't involve them being in charge of it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

scavy131 posted:

@Saros how long would it take for UT fleet elements to get from Earth/Luna to Ceres?

We may not necessarily need to send forces if we can just make sure the UT support coming from Earth has to go far enough around Mars that we aren't worried about a random nuke going flying and by the time the UT gets to Ceres the fighting will likely be over. The main question we must determine before acting is exactly how large this Independence force on Ceres is, if they can hold even temporary parity with the UT forces in the area there may be grounds to recognize their Independence and the fun fallout that will quite possibly make the war in Sol go hot.

Just shy of 1 day 20 hours at 2700kps. More depending on how much they detour around Mars or less if they send faster units. It's extremely unlikely that the Ceres rebels have anything like parity with the local UT combat force even if they managed to seize a couple of ships and the PDC/s. What the Terrans do not have on the scene however is ground troops to land and retake the dwarf planet

Without assistance or something happening to distract the UT response it's extremely likely the UT will retake Ceres.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks Saros!

Ground troops don't matter if they just nuke the planet. Whelp, I'm for saving Ceres from fire and blood in one way or another.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Isn't the success of any given plan dependent on just how plausible Saros finds it on any given day. It's not like there's a system to get 100% efficiency in the politics stuff

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dance Officer posted:

Dominion of Sol is a complete disaster, goons ruin everything, Nevets and cohorts got owned by reality.

I like how I've somehow become the leader of the DomSol faction even though I didn't conceive of it and voted against it in the first round.

But don't despair! Even if things continue to get worse as you predict, we have an ace in the hole, or maybe I should say an AI in the Hades :smug:

All we need to do is tell all the rioting people of Earth that our ancient super knowledgeable AI friend is going to save them. Martians don't have to take over the UT, we just have to be there to offer assistance to Facility when billions of people start asking it to run their lives for them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Why are we doing this when our very existence is at stake?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Affi posted:

Misguided priorities. But lamenting that will not help us anymore, make the best of at best an overenthusiastic and underdeveloped plan and help us figure out how to come out ahead instead of worse than where we started.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The classic thing to do in these situations is to start mobilising our forces for 'general readiness exercises' or whatever, while on an entirely unrelated issue insisting that UT resolve the situation diplomatically without military force.

We backed down over Ranginui, its possible they'd do the same.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Nevets posted:

I like how I've somehow become the leader of the DomSol faction even though I didn't conceive of it and voted against it in the first round.

But don't despair! Even if things continue to get worse as you predict, we have an ace in the hole, or maybe I should say an AI in the Hades :smug:

All we need to do is tell all the rioting people of Earth that our ancient super knowledgeable AI friend is going to save them. Martians don't have to take over the UT, we just have to be there to offer assistance to Facility when billions of people start asking it to run their lives for them.

Yes, they'll definitely believe that, and trust us, and Facility will give a toss about them when it's far more interested in the sunskimmer than anything humans are doing, and it'd work out well if it worked at all.

Affi posted:

Bloody-mindedness, starry-eyed Stalinism and sheer cussed ineptitude, only some of which is mine.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
This situation is incredibly dumb and eminently predictable, so basically par for the course. I'm not gonna say Al Andalus strikes again, cause Neptune, Uranus and all of our asteroid colonies haven't yet spun off into their own polities as we all die in a nuclear conflagration, but I'll be waiting.

Anyway, support Putina and offer to bail her out of this lovely situation if she bends the knee, etc.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Erwin the German posted:

This situation is incredibly dumb and eminently predictable, so basically par for the course. I'm not gonna say Al Andalus strikes again, cause Neptune, Uranus and all of our asteroid colonies haven't yet spun off into their own polities as we all die in a nuclear conflagration, but I'll be waiting.

Anyway, support Putina and offer to bail her out of this lovely situation if she bends the knee, etc.

Aren't we forgetting something?

She's really pissed at us right now.

Saros posted:

Mars begins a fourth set of releases and these ones take a much more interesting turn. Footage of Nova Sol burning, analyses of incompetent Terran fleet deployments and terrifying footage of the Kasag all combine to stoke fears and distrust of the United Terran government.

Attempts to censor and restrict access by Terra all fail disastrously and a furious Yekaterina summons the Martian ambassador to demand an explanation. When none acceptable is forthcoming the meeting dissolves into threats and perhaps a little bit of shouting.

As far as she's concerned, we're trying really hard to shake her out of the tree. And we are! She is not going to trust us for a long time.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 5, 2018

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Yeah, but I bet she'll get over it if we offer a lifeline. It's either that or she loses everything to actual space nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So basically we're now at the point where both our polities are becoming increasingly unstable, we've blown all our diplomatic efforts we spend the previous operation trying to build up completely out the window in the process, and we're in the position where we either wait for terra to go full on nazi with a growing martian fascist faction on the rise, or we start a shooting war with UT over Ceres.

What... was the plan again? How are we better off at this point?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We're much more stable considering we don't actively have chunks of our state wanting to break away at any point we have. The worst are radicals while Terra has people actively killing each over among their political factions+ colonies chaffing under them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but how does that help us, their military is still functioning and is in control of the most ardent faction, we don't have the time or possibly the stability to try and win economically because they will reassert control one way or another and our own situation is getting worse as well even if a little slower and we're still kind of at war with the crab fuckers.

And even if we take over Terra we then inherit all their poltiical problems, how does this help us? If we wanted a war with terra we could have started that without loving up human politics.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
We never would win economically, we're so much smaller. What we're doing is shaking the dancefloor and trusting that we're the better dancer. And we are, Mars is disciplined and united in purpose (with the obvious expections), UT is fracturing and full of internal stresses.

Don't think of it as starting a fire in order to burn things down, think of it as starting a fire to change the battlefield to our advantage.

e: and we don't want a war with Terra, we want a weakened Terra that goes along with whatever we need to beat the crabs and unable to gently caress with us like they usually do.

And even better, they can't use us as an external enemy to galvanize support this time. We just showed them there is a really dangerous enemy out there, and we're the ones that can deal with those so they better get behind us.

Anta fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 5, 2018

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

The classic thing to do in these situations is to start mobilising our forces for 'general readiness exercises' or whatever, while on an entirely unrelated issue insisting that UT resolve the situation diplomatically without military force.

We backed down over Ranginui, its possible they'd do the same.

Agreed.

If we don't show at least a willingness to deter them, Terra will crush the revolts before or after the government changes hands.

I was extremely against Dominion, but if we let Terra have its way 100% with the rebels, backing them up with nothing but empty words, we will look like complete idiots who ruined relations for nothing.

Arguably, that's what we did, and it may be better to look the fool than risk a war by conducting 'fleet exercises'.

Some brinksmanship is necessary to secure anything from this disaster, even if the goal is to avoid MAD.

One way or another we're not fighting the Crabs together again unless they invade Nova Sol or Sol, but we can still salvage some of this.

Erwin the German posted:

Yeah, but I bet she'll get over it if we offer a lifeline. It's either that or she loses everything to actual space nazis.

It's worth a shot.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2018

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Anta posted:

Don't think of it as starting a fire in order to burn things down, think of it as starting a fire to change the battlefield to our advantage.

Alternatively one can consider a forest fire, they burn away the old growth to allow new shoots to grow.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Things look bad, but remember, this is the Will of Dog. I disliked the plan, but it is now our plan, and we must push through instead of losing ourselves in recriminations about the Dog's plan.

At this point, I favor recalling the fleet, but not making any explicit threats to the Terrans. They're already probably thinking this is a grand buildup to a sneak attack- Russians usually have that paranoia in their mind- and anything that plays into their feelings there risks touching off the Last War. I favor recalling the fleet because I have the nasty feeling we're about to need it for internal reasons.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

So basically we're now at the point where both our polities are becoming increasingly unstable, we've blown all our diplomatic efforts we spend the previous operation trying to build up completely out the window in the process, and we're in the position where we either wait for terra to go full on nazi with a growing martian fascist faction on the rise, or we start a shooting war with UT over Ceres.

What... was the plan again? How are we better off at this point?

Jesus Christ the plan isn't even done yet, can we at least finish before you submit the entirety of Mars over to the UT begging forgiveness for telling the loving truth?

This isn't al-andalus, it isn't even Flamboyant Schemers Denmark. And don't be acting all high and mighty that going buddy cop with the UT fighting Fart Krabs wasn't going to have these issues cropping up. This plan exacerbated them, but it didn't create them.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think the problem is the majority of the people not voting for the plan and it was very divisive are now jumping out and saying its a failure... despite it doing exactly what at least I as it's write intended for it to do. Talking about salvaging the plan is ridiculous because it hasn't blown up in our face ffs.

This revolution on Ceres gives us a huge opportunity... which again big chunks of people want to throw away because they are still scared of the UT, which is in disarray. We should guarantee the independence of any colonized sol body that seeks self determination and move a force to block any retaliation by the UT at Ceres. TFS already recognizes them, and we need to set ourselves up as a much more... benevolent? Hegemon than Terra has been historically.

I also propose we offer a referendum on Uranus establishing its own independent state to show we are perfectly happy to allow Martian territories the same right to self determination we want the Terran's to follow through. Also since we "conquered" them from the IC it also will show the IC that we aren't coming to conquer them with fire and blood and if they drive out the Trimuvirs we would happily work with a successor government.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Mukaikubo posted:

Things look bad, but remember, this is the Will of Dog. I disliked the plan, but it is now our plan, and we must push through instead of losing ourselves in recriminations about the Dog's plan.

At this point, I favor recalling the fleet, but not making any explicit threats to the Terrans. They're already probably thinking this is a grand buildup to a sneak attack- Russians usually have that paranoia in their mind- and anything that plays into their feelings there risks touching off the Last War. I favor recalling the fleet because I have the nasty feeling we're about to need it for internal reasons.

Indeed. We are now in a position where we must play brinksmanship without actually firing any shots.

Recall the Fleet, we can not allow those who trust in Mars to be massacred.
We can make up any excuse, like a training exercise. Later we recognize and guarantee the independence of Ceres, only moving our forces closer if the Terrans do so first.

Jack2142 posted:

This revolution on Ceres gives us a huge opportunity... which again big chunks of people want to throw away because they are still scared of the UT, which is in disarray. We should guarantee the independence of any colonized sol body that seeks self determination and move a force to block any retaliation by the UT at Ceres. TFS already recognizes them, and we need to set ourselves up as a much more... benevolent? Hegemon than Terra has been historically.

I also propose we offer a referendum on Uranus establishing its own independent state to show we are perfectly happy to allow Martian territories the same right to self determination we want the Terran's to follow through. Also since we "conquered" them from the IC it also will show the IC that we aren't coming to conquer them with fire and blood and if they drive out the Trimuvirs we would happily work with a successor government.

These are good ideas. Softer than recalling the fleet, though we should do that as well.
For those of us who disagree with Dominion, as don't have a choice anymore, unless we're willing to sully Mars' name by letting the rebels die.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 5, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Jesus Christ the plan isn't even done yet, can we at least finish before you submit the entirety of Mars over to the UT begging forgiveness for telling the loving truth?

This isn't al-andalus, it isn't even Flamboyant Schemers Denmark. And don't be acting all high and mighty that going buddy cop with the UT fighting Fart Krabs wasn't going to have these issues cropping up. This plan exacerbated them, but it didn't create them.

I'm genuinely not understanding what the plan is, like literally as far as I can tell the suggestion is "play all our cards without looking at the board and hope we come out on top, somehow!"

Yes we are going to have difficulties whatever we do, but how is just throwing everything we've got on the table and destabilizing the entire human race going to help us? What do we have left after we've done that? We're still in an identical military situation and I don't see how internal conflict on Terra is going to change that. Further, making relations between mars and UT even more hostile isn't going to make them more inclined to work with us...?

Like what's the expected outcome here other than the UT military reasserts control over the population, adopts an even more hardline stance, and becomes even more hostile to Mars making coordination between the two of us a lot harder in the middle of a war against a superior foe.

How do we avert that without military intervention, which will mean war with terra...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Just chill out for a sec guys and listen to Jack. I feel like the actual 'plan' has just gotten drowned out by the arguing over the vote and kneejerking from the wildcards that have come up (which, no matter what Dogmocracy gifted us, there would be hiccups).