Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

😂👌haha😂👌we😂👌literally😂👌found😂👌a😂👌dead😂👌body😂👌 😍Cummy😘 If 😤you 😜see👀 a 😱spooky💀 ghost👻👻👻you🤭 must🙏dab 👈👌😤💯 and 📱📸snap 🤳for 😱your 🤩followers😤😏🤣😂😅 🙋But😮 what👉 if🙎👀💀dead👻👻 bodies😨 dab😱 back❔😷💀💀 😂then you block 🚫Jacksfilms on Twitter 🐦 😩😩😩😩 Sorry 🙈😭 Logang 👌💯 My son 👦🏻 can be homer sexual 🏳️‍🌈 My daughter 👧🏻 can be lebanese 👭 But I will NEVER ‼️ Raise a child 👶🏻 who likes Jake and Logan Paul 🙅🏻‍ 😡😡 I 👈 have 👀 a 😾❌❌ RESTRAINING ❌❌ ORDER ❌❌🤜 against 😤 EVERY 😬🤙🚫Loganger🚫 and 🚫Jake Pauler🚫 👋😡💢💢

Where do you even get these? They're pretty spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Canned Panda posted:

I hate this guy.

So much.

I know one person who would benefit a lot from not having half eaten chocolate bars laying around the house

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't fool yourself.

There's no leftovers in his house, the ants are there for the crumbs in the chair only.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Canned Panda posted:

I hate this guy.

So much.

Quick question, because this comes up a lot: anyone have any insight into why people lose their marbles over imaginary threats to their freedom to eat junk food? I ask because I see a lot of National Post or CBC clickbait articles about taxing pop or not allowing junk food companies to advertise in schools and people get really excited about it. Like, "Rather than smother my freedums, why not just make parents be responsible? Checkmate, Liberal party."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

Quick question, because this comes up a lot: anyone have any insight into why people lose their marbles over imaginary threats to their freedom to eat junk food? I ask because I see a lot of National Post or CBC clickbait articles about taxing pop or not allowing junk food companies to advertise in schools and people get really excited about it. Like, "Rather than smother my freedums, why not just make parents be responsible? Checkmate, Liberal party."

Because you're implying that there's something wrong with being a fat blob of goo that eats garbage, and many people get upset by that.

source: I am a fat blob of goo that eats garbage.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So since that’s a screenshot and the url is cut off and I can’t find the article browsing The Sun’s site, uh... any help here?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So since that’s a screenshot and the url is cut off and I can’t find the article browsing The Sun’s site, uh... any help here?

tl;dr: There don't seem to be any plans to ban kids eating a ton of chocolate, it's just that da gubment is now saying "hey maybe limit how much chocolate they eat to like...200 calories of it a day" and parents who stuff their fat kids full of chocolate are pissed because the government is saying their unhealthy kids are unhealthy

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/949277304391372800

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

The government just put out guidelines saying that parents should limit their kids to 200 calories of snacking a day and suggested healthy alternatives. Mars Bars are 230 calories each, so some candies on the market are getting highlighted for how unhealthy they are.

There's no regulation or anything. It's just "Hey, maybe don't let your 10-year-old shove 600 calories' worth of chocolate into his gob every day."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Master Twig posted:

To be fair, it doesn't say he rose 3 days later, it says he rose ON the third day. So, presumably if you take the days in which he was dead, Friday is first day of being dead, Saturday is second, Sunday is third. So he rose on the third day, Sunday. Just that 2 of the 3 days weren't complete days.

People in those days didn't have the number 0, they had to start at one. So Jesus was in the tomb for about 36 hours.

CassandraSupreme posted:

Isn't there, like, a big story in Christianity where you are supposed to be a shiftless gently caress? Like, it doesn't matter if you just show up to work for the last twenty minutes and get paid a full day because it doesn't actually matter what you "do" it's all about some nebulous (and loving vile) "belief" and "faith"?

God, what a loving terrible religion.

Wow, you completely missed the point of that. It was a story that said if you agreed to work for a certain amount, you shouldn't get jealous because the boss paid other people the same amount for less. If, for instance, you worked a job for twenty years and got rich, don't be the sort of rear end in a top hat who gets mad at other people who get food stamps without "earning" their food. I've never heard the reading you're talking about. I guess I can see it, but the main message is to be happy for people who get lucky breaks and not jealous because they didn't work as hard as you.

Angry Salami posted:

There's another one, some parable where some rich guy is hiring laborers for some job, and after a few hours he hires some more, then at the end of the day pays everyone the same. So the guys who've been working all day say "Hey, we should get more, we worked harder." And the rich guy says "Screw you, it's my money and I say everyone gets the same wage."

It's meant to be a metaphor for early Christians complaining about new converts being treated equally as long-time worshipers. Except pretty much everyone who hears it ends up coming away thinking "What a lovely employer, those workers really got screwed", because manual labor isn't actually a good analogy for being religious.

If you're reading it as "those workers really got screwed," then you're making the same mistake. You got what you agreed on, so you have no reason to be jealous that other people got a better deal. Generosity is a good thing.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

Wow, you completely missed the point of that. It was a story that said if you agreed to work for a certain amount, you shouldn't get jealous because the boss paid other people the same amount for less. If, for instance, you worked a job for twenty years and got rich, don't be the sort of rear end in a top hat who gets mad at other people who get food stamps without "earning" their food. I've never heard the reading you're talking about. I guess I can see it, but the main message is to be happy for people who get lucky breaks and not jealous because they didn't work as hard as you.

If you're reading it as "those workers really got screwed," then you're making the same mistake. You got what you agreed on, so you have no reason to be jealous that other people got a better deal. Generosity is a good thing.

If you think Christians aren't angry that they aren't getting paid enough and aren't incredibly angry about people on food stamps, I have some very bad news for you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

An ambiguous story in a multi thousand year old book that’s been translated and rewritten dozens of times? I’m sure nothing bad will come of that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CassandraSupreme posted:

If you think Christians aren't angry that they aren't getting paid enough and aren't incredibly angry about people on food stamps, I have some very bad news for you.

That's exactly my point- they shouldn't be. So when I hear a Christian making that argument, I say "remember the parable." It doesn't change anyone's mind most of the time, admittedly, but maybe it plants the seed of doubt. At the very least, it's a way of taking away their claim to speak for God.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2009/02/24/the-workers-in-the-vineyard/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

the gourmet hot takes are coming from within the thread

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

That's exactly my point- they shouldn't be. So when I hear a Christian making that argument, I say "remember the parable." It doesn't change anyone's mind most of the time, admittedly, but maybe it plants the seed of doubt. At the very least, it's a way of taking away their claim to speak for God.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2009/02/24/the-workers-in-the-vineyard/

I'm less concerned about some nebulous "should" since I'm not sure how to be the arbiter of that. I'm much more concerned with an actual "is" and Christians are shiftless fucks.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

Stories about being a shiftless gently caress in their holy texts makes sense, even if some people want to interpret it differently into something noble.

Why try to fix something that is so vile and broken?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are really bumming me out, and forgetting the true meaning of the season: drinking and revenge.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jan 5, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CassandraSupreme posted:

I'm less concerned about some nebulous "should" since I'm not sure how to be the arbiter of that. I'm much more concerned with an actual "is" and Christians are shiftless fucks.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/how-the-faithful-voted-a-preliminary-2016-analysis/

Stories about being a shiftless gently caress in their holy texts makes sense, even if some people want to interpret it differently into something noble.

Why try to fix something that is so vile and broken?

How does "voting for Trump" equate to "shiftless?" I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. Nor am I aware of any stereotypes that Christians don't have jobs- I thought the stereotype was that they had jobs and assumed the unemployed were lazy and waiting for handouts? I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but the "burn everything down" argument is less compelling when you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Regardless, the villains of the parable are very clearly the people complaining about others but they're also the audience. It says straight out "you're doing the right thing, good for you, but others are doing the best they can and you should be happy for them." It doesn't say "you're a sucker, do less work," and that's a perverse reading that can't be found if yo're not motivated to score points.

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jan 5, 2018

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Dude, do you not see Christian voting patterns? Christianity correlates more than anything else with FYGM.

They are not good people. And I'm not sure you are correctly identifying the villain either. A nasty boss who gives his money to people who haven't earned it is precisely the sort of villains that Christians talk about all the time in the real word.

Like, Trump voters are shiftless as gently caress. "Protect jobs in my dying industry and gently caress those guys!" "Why should I have to move or gain skills? Give me money because I'm Christian!"

It's loving disgusting.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I really appreciate learning the original meaning of the parable and seeing how it's been distorted, thank you.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CassandraSupreme posted:

Dude, do you not see Christian voting patterns? Christianity correlates more than anything else with FYGM.

They are not good people. And I'm not sure you are correctly identifying the villain either. A nasty boss who gives his money to people who haven't earned it is precisely the sort of villains that Christians talk about all the time in the real word.

Like, Trump voters are shiftless as gently caress. "Protect jobs in my dying industry and gently caress those guys!" "Why should I have to move or gain skills? Give me money because I'm Christian!"

It's loving disgusting.

This isn't going anywhere. You don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not going to convince you and the derail would just piss everyone off. If you want to write off two billion people as irredeemably poo poo, that's your prerogative, I guess, but it makes you the Idiot on Social Media.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

This isn't going anywhere. You don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not going to convince you and the derail would just piss everyone off. If you want to write off two billion people as irredeemably poo poo, that's your prerogative, I guess, but it makes you the Idiot on Social Media.

I can back up what I'm saying with data. Christians are the driving force behind reactionary ideologies in America. In plenty of other countries too. The occasional leftwing Christian group gets crushed by the larger ideology. I mean, you've got the current "ultra liberal" pope who used to finger leftists for rightwing death squads.

"Adapt and Die" is a very real phenomenon because Christianity is inherently reactionary and evil. If you create a Christian church with good ideas, it will necessarily die because you are planting on poisoned ground.

What do you have other than some navel gazing? Do you have any data to back up your claims that Christianity isn't a vile religion for vile people?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
You come off sounding like an angst-ridden teenager who's upset with their parents for making them go to church.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Folks, we've found an idiot on social media.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Guys I've been quiet about this for a long time but it's time to go public with this: I like boobs

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Guys I've been quiet about this for a long time but it's time to go public with this: I like boobs

thank you for having the bravery to come forward

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jurgan posted:

This sentence is in and of itself mistaken - the quotee never said he read it that way. He said:

quote:

It's meant to be a metaphor for early Christians complaining about new converts being treated equally as long-time worshipers. Except pretty much everyone who hears it ends up coming away thinking "What a lovely employer, those workers really got screwed", because manual labor isn't actually a good analogy for being religious."

He stated what the intended reading was, then said that other people mistakenly thought it was about the workers getting screwed, he never said that he was one of them.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FELD1 posted:

You come off sounding like an angst-ridden teenager who's upset with their parents for making them go to church.

Thankfully, I'm a cradle atheist. I'm just terrified of what Christians have been doing to this country. Which is how every sane person should feel.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CassandraSupreme posted:

Thankfully, I'm a cradle atheist. I'm just terrified of what Christians have been doing to this country. Which is how every sane person should feel.

When's the last time you unironically used the term "skygod"?

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

When's the last time you unironically used the term "skygod"?

I can't think of a time.

My objections to Christianity aren't based on some vague pseudo-science. It's based on what Christians actually do.

I call Protestantism a death cult all the time because holy gently caress are those people crazy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CassandraSupreme posted:

I can back up what I'm saying with data. Christians are the driving force behind reactionary ideologies in America. In plenty of other countries too. The occasional leftwing Christian group gets crushed by the larger ideology. I mean, you've got the current "ultra liberal" pope who used to finger leftists for rightwing death squads.

"Adapt and Die" is a very real phenomenon because Christianity is inherently reactionary and evil. If you create a Christian church with good ideas, it will necessarily die because you are planting on poisoned ground.

What do you have other than some navel gazing? Do you have any data to back up your claims that Christianity isn't a vile religion for vile people?
I’m not sure if you’re worse at reading the Bible or that article. Your readings of both are so wrong. Just go to a Unitarian Universalist Church and chill the gently caress out.

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
1) Unitarians are barely Christian
2) There are barely any Unitarians

Those two feed into each other.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

#metoo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CassandraSupreme posted:

1) Unitarians are barely Christian
2) There are barely any Unitarians

Those two feed into each other.

But hey it’s a descendant of Protestantism that isn’t a death cult and won’t make you drink blood and eat flesh! Just go to a service and meet some people and actually experience what you’re talking about.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sunswipe posted:

You guys are really bumming me out, and forgetting the true meaning of the season: drinking and revenge.
Penny'll start a fire!

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

But hey it’s a descendant of Protestantism that isn’t a death cult and won’t make you drink blood and eat flesh! Just go to a service and meet some people and actually experience what you’re talking about.

I hang out with enough white boomers.

Like, how is this a counter? Pointing out a small, dying sect as someone going against my thesis that Christianity is inherently reactionary so liberal Christian sects will fail to gain members and remain peripheral at best makes my point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This is a McDonalds drive thru ma’am

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

This sentence is in and of itself mistaken - the quotee never said he read it that way. He said:

He stated what the intended reading was, then said that other people mistakenly thought it was about the workers getting screwed, he never said that he was one of them.

I think I was using "you" in the generic sense, like "anyone who reads it that way is bad at reading." (Though maybe not, I honestly don't remember.) Which, admittedly, lots of people are, but that's true in all religious and demographic groups.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In regards to people getting upset about regulating sweets for kids:

I think it is an authoritarian thing. I noticed the same thing happened when Michelle Obama was trying to get healthier lunches in schools. There was a backlash because conservatives already hated Michelle, and particularly loathed the idea that a black woman was telling them how to feed their kids.

They feel like they have absolute authority over their children, which explains the hostility to any policies that might run counter to their ideology (healthy lunches, common core, not doing the pledge of Allegance etc). I notice this is also why the biggest cop bootlickers tend to be extremely nasty and paranoid around CPS workers - the authorities that don't support the parent's ideology aren't trusted, respected or supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zakharov posted:

Folks, we've found Jastiger's new account.