Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Wasn't kind of the point of Ego Trip, down to the name, is that while Dexter can and likely will accomplish great things he's massively shackled by his own colossal ego? And there's quite a few episodes demonstrating that despite his technical genius, Dexter has barely existent social skills and is likely to struggle once he has to actually start working. Hell, Deedee is practically his only real friend. There's a borderline Venture Bros thing going on with them all.

Also, now I'm suddenly picturing Dexter and Mandark ending up in the Think Tank.

He's friends with Action Hank and that's the only friend he needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, Cartoon Network.

I know you like to do the little countdown bug for new shows and events. That's fine.

You are literally showing an episode of Unikitty every hour today, you do not need the bug for EACH TIME.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, outside of the preview episodes, Unikitty is pretty okay. Kinda conventional, a bit unremarkable, but there have been worse shows. Hopefully after a season, it finds a voice like Gumball and TTG did.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Unikitty's biggest problem now is that its becoming just as used as TTGO. You do not want people to get sick of a show during its opening week. But yeah, it isn't awful, just mediocre, which is okay as long as you don't bomb it every day.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 3, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crabtree posted:

But yeah, it isn't awful, just mediocre, which is okay as long as you don't bomb it every day.

SAY HELLO TO

YOUR

NEW

FAVORITE

S H O W

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm sure it'll settle down after the premiere week.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
They aired that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs show, the Ben 10 reboot, and OK KO a ton during their respective premier months

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.buzzfeed.com/keelyflaherty/ready-yourselves-theres-gonna-be-an-animaniacs-reboot

They're coming back!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What comes back ain't always what you buried.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

raditts posted:

What comes back ain't always what you buried.

This is the best response I've seen to this news.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
*sits on a rocking chair smoking a pipe and staring at the horizon with haunted eyes*

“Sometimes... Sometimes dead is better...”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Animaniacs was a real mix of things that aren't popular nowadays. A series of shorts with maybe some loose connective tissue between them. A bunch of pop culture references. Plots centered on the main characters being annoying shits that everybody else hates.

Uncle Grandpa is the closest I've seen to that sort of thing nowadays.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They were pretty much Loonytoons. It depends on how their presented.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So most of the creative team on the original show (including showrunner Tom Ruegger) haven't been asked to be involved.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

So most of the creative team on the original show (including showrunner Tom Ruegger) haven't been asked to be involved.

To be fair it's still pretty early in the show's development, like it's supposedly not coming out until 2020, so I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done anything in terms of actual work on it and might not have even assembled a crew for it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Animaniacs was a real mix of things that aren't popular nowadays. A series of shorts with maybe some loose connective tissue between them. A bunch of pop culture references. Plots centered on the main characters being annoying shits that everybody else hates.

Uncle Grandpa is the closest I've seen to that sort of thing nowadays.

Pop culture references and plots centered on characters being little shits are basically the bread and butter of Teen Titans Go, so I'd say the market's there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TwoPair posted:

Pop culture references and plots centered on characters being little shits are basically the bread and butter of Teen Titans Go, so I'd say the market's saturated.

There's no room at the Inn.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If you keep the Warners, Pinky and the Brain, Slappy Squirrel, and retire some of the old recurring bits you can make new recurring bits that would be fine in a relaunch.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm enjoying Unikitty a lot more than I thought I would, but holy poo poo the recycling of TTG's music is throwing me off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

If you keep the Warners, Pinky and the Brain, Slappy Squirrel, and retire some of the old recurring bits you can make new recurring bits that would be fine in a relaunch.

Keep Chicken Boo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Keep Chicken Boo.

Hell no, that got massively overused

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Hell no, that got massively overused

I laughed every time. Probably more the more they used it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was there ever a bad recurring segment in that show?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You can put in the occasional Chicken Boo. Just not all the time. But the following bits should not return:

Hip Hippos
Buttons and Mindy
Goodfeathers
Rita and Runt

Just write all new bits to replace these, and then replace those bits too.

It’s an ensemble/sketch show, it needs a wide breadth and depth of material.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to keep Slappy Squirrel

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

The Hippos

raditts posted:

Probably because outside of Pinky & The Brain her segments are the ones that aged best

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

I wouldn't mind a decrepit squirrel having to support her failed YouTube/Social Media Influencer nephew off of the dwindling savings of an Olde Hollywood Starlet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Slappy was great. I actually liked her shorts probably the most of all the segments. Yes, including Pinky & The Brain and the Warners.

kefkafloyd posted:

Rita and Runt

So you wanna ditch one of the more fun bits but keep poo poo like the kid who told rambling stories about his buddy?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Slappy was great. I actually liked her shorts probably the most of all the segments. Yes, including Pinky & The Brain and the Warners.

So you wanna ditch one of the more fun bits but keep poo poo like the kid who told rambling stories about his buddy?

I mean, sure, kill those too. The listed bits were the most common bits that I could think of killing off the top of my head. They’ve done other bits that could be retired too but I’m phone posting and not about to make an exhaustive list. The point is to keep making new bits and material and let the chaff of the past go away.

Slappy Squirrel gets another go because it produced the best Who’s on First riff ever made and it deserves to come back for that chance at greatness again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was going to bring up Elmyra but it turns out that was Tiny Toons and Buttons and Mindy was a completely separate sketch. Neither are funny!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I will add that Good Idea/Bad Idea should be kept.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hey guys, it's that one scene in goodfellas! remember that one scene in goodfellas where joe pesci got angry!!! remember!!!! remember that!!! Well now it's BIRDS

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I too get extremely nude and mad when a tv show references one of the best movies ever made in such a way as to be completely coherent to both 8 year old and 27 year old me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

I will add that Good Idea/Bad Idea should be kept.
GI/BI was crack to my 11 year old mind.

Rita and Runt get a pass for their Les Mis sendup.

Goodfeathers are gone, though. To be replaced with a segment where Pesto goes bad, called Beaking Bad. The B plot is his girlfriend trying to make it in a man's world, called Mad Hens.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

references one of the best movies ever made
WHO GETS TO PERCH ON SCORSESE 'S HEAD? GOODFEATHERS PERCH ON SCORSESE'S HEAD!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So the Presidents song is getting an update, right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The new Animaniacs should be rated TV-MA. The audience has grown up so the show should too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Funky Valentine posted:

So the Presidents song is getting an update, right?

Don't forget countries of the world.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I see no problem with that

mycot posted:

I was going to bring up Elmyra but it turns out that was Tiny Toons and Buttons and Mindy was a completely separate sketch. Neither are funny!

They did eventually ruin Pinky and the Brain by adding Elmyra for gently caress knows what reason and calling it "Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain"
Maybe you're thinking of that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 6, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When I was a kid, Animaniacs made me feel sophisticated by exposing me to grown-up pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

raditts posted:

I see no problem with that

They did eventually ruin Pinky and the Brain by adding Elmyra for gently caress knows what reason and calling it "Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain"
Maybe you're thinking of that.

it was demanded by executives they add another character