Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it was demanded by executives they add another character

The show even complained about this in the opening. It was incredibly clear that everyone working on the show hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it was demanded by executives they add another character

That was the biggest "gently caress You" to execs I've ever seen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
When they were initially told to put a third character in Pinky and the Brain they made this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorIn2ISK6w

The message did not get through to the execs heads. And they were forced to create Pinky, Elmrya and the Brain later on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07TicoKEC10

quote:

So Pinky and the Brain have a new domain.
Its what the Network wants why bother to complain.
The Earth remains a goal.
Some things you can't control.
Brain: I deeply resent this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MonsterEnvy posted:

When they were initially told to put a third character in Pinky and the Brain they made this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorIn2ISK6w

The message did not get through to the execs heads. And they were forced to create Pinky, Elmrya and the Brain later on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07TicoKEC10

i think i have anti-nostalgia for this series, associating it with bad times and remembering it as much more annoying and less funny that it was. those are pretty funny actually.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gaunab posted:

The new Animaniacs should be rated TV-MA. The audience has grown up so the show should too.

*looks at Ren & Stimpy Show*

What could possible go wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

*looks at Ren & Stimpy Show*

What could possible go wrong.

Reminded of the Bubsy the Bobcat pilot. That was a thing.

Also, unrelated; there was a Zoolander animated series in 2016. The gently caress?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

kefkafloyd posted:

Goodfeathers

:getout:ta here with your bad opinions

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was there ever a bad recurring segment in that show?

Katie Kaboom. gently caress that noise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inkspot posted:

Katie Kaboom. gently caress that noise.

I didn't really care for Minerva Mink or Buttons & Mindy either, Rita & Runt and Chicken Boo are kind of borderline to me (I did sort of like the Goodfeathers but it probably doesn't hold up all that well now).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels weird to think in terms of picking and choosing segments to bring back, because it seems really limiting to say they can't just invent new segments, especially considering how shallow some of their old segments were. If you're gonna restrict yourself to what seemed good on the spur of a moment way back in the 90s, you're gonna be really limited.

Pinky and the Brain may have become this big breakout hit, but I don't think the schtick of the Hip Hippoes had much more life to it. Mindy and Buttons was just another incarnation of the old old bit of a sleepwalker/baby in a construction site, but they did manage to find a lot of variants on a construction site.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels weird to think in terms of picking and choosing segments to bring back, because it seems really limiting to say they can't just invent new segments, especially considering how shallow some of their old segments were. If you're gonna restrict yourself to what seemed good on the spur of a moment way back in the 90s, you're gonna be really limited.

Pinky and the Brain may have become this big breakout hit, but I don't think the schtick of the Hip Hippoes had much more life to it. Mindy and Buttons was just another incarnation of the old old bit of a sleepwalker/baby in a construction site, but they did manage to find a lot of variants on a construction site.

True, they don't necessarily have to bring back everything. They could always just toss out what didn't work and replace it with brand new characters/segments, which would probably be for the best anyway (stuff like Pinky & the Brain and Slappy Squirrel could probably still work though). I'm pretty sure all the old VAs are still around so bringing them all back wouldn't be much of an issue either.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hey, I'm just looking for some recommendations. I'm absolutely in love with Steven Universe, loved Gravity Falls, and watched all of Star Vs but didn't really like it that much despite liking the ideas the show presented a lot. Using that as a basis for my taste, what shows should I check out or try and binge watch? I know this isn't necessarily the right place for it, but I'm also okay with anime suggestions (I loved Death Parade, Death Note, and FMA:B). I like interesting characters and character development, cool villains, etc. in my cartoons / kids shows.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Netflix's Voltron. Has a few seasons, is a little different from other kids cartoons in being a little slower and more thoughtful and has a lot of world building. People complain about it a lot but I think you'll like it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's kind of hard since the shows you mention are kind of exceptional. Even the old 90s standbys of "You like storytelling in your cartoons? Then Pirates of Dark Water / Gargoyles is for you!" have their problems (PoDW was cancelled and ends on a cliffhanger, Gargoyles takes a few seasons for the narrative payoff).

You might find some anime that fits the bill (Madoka, for something dark and nihilistic, Baccano! for lighthearted but well plotted).

But SU and GF are unique, so it's hard to find something similar.
// Oh, DUH. You should try SCOOBY-DOO: Mystery Inc. It takes the Gravity Falls long-running mystery thing with a healthy bit of humor and some smart updates of the characters' personalities. That should be top of your list.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 6, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Violence posted:

Hey, I'm just looking for some recommendations. I'm absolutely in love with Steven Universe, loved Gravity Falls, and watched all of Star Vs but didn't really like it that much despite liking the ideas the show presented a lot. Using that as a basis for my taste, what shows should I check out or try and binge watch? I know this isn't necessarily the right place for it, but I'm also okay with anime suggestions (I loved Death Parade, Death Note, and FMA:B). I like interesting characters and character development, cool villains, etc. in my cartoons / kids shows.

It's not really deep but if you want an anime kids show I'd highly recommend Little Witch Academia.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, Milo Murphy's Law and the predecessor Phineas and Ferb have a lot of characteristion to unpack in a relatively in-the-background narrative - it takes a bit before characters and subplots start intersecting (In P+F the A plot and B plot don't intersect outside of specials until right at the end of each episode when the B plot resolves the A plot in an amusing manner, and in Milo Murphy it takes a while for the Time Travellers in the B plot to realise the effect that Milo is having on their missions), but it is funny and cool when they do and they are each strong in their own right so don't need each other to work - the Time Travellers and Secret Agent Perry stuff in their respective shows are funny enough to stand alongside the main characters plots without it feeling forced when they do intersect, and vice versa. The B-Plots are often funnier, but that's just due to the nature of the characters. The shows are largely episodic, with occasional callbacks but otherwise the episode order is flexible, as some episodes are never mentioned again, while others get callbacks so do need to be viewed in order.

A clip from Phineas and Ferb to illustrate the sense of humour of both shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERZuuEbr7VI

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Awesome suggestions so far! Going to note all of those down to check out real soon! I guess I should add that I don't care if the protagonists are kids (they usually are for shows like these), though it's nice to have adult characters for me to relate to. Watching "adult shows" is always an option, but we're currently in an era where shows for adults are loving depressing, which I don't need in my life right now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Despite its darkness, I found Madoka's ending uplifting. However, I would really not recommend it to someone who likes Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. At least not without some preparation and some warnings.

I don't know about the state of anime - I still haven't had a chance to watch Jojo or Evangelion so I'm an ANIME SCRUB, but leaving the genre of cartoons opens up a whole lot because there's a poo poo ton of Sentai and Kamen Rider I've liked. But I'd rather have that conversation over PM, because there's too many - even though I have just barely scratched the surface of those - and I'd like to tailor requests a little more.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Awesome suggestions so far! Going to note all of those down to check out real soon! I guess I should add that I don't care if the protagonists are kids (they usually are for shows like these), though it's nice to have adult characters for me to relate to. Watching "adult shows" is always an option, but we're currently in an era where shows for adults are loving depressing, which I don't need in my life right now.

Stay far away from Madoka for now, then.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I would Highly recommend Over the Garden Wall. Few shows manage that level of atmosphere, and the art is just lovely.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

I've actually seen Madoka, back when I was in a more stable place, and really loved it, the style, the depressing narrative, the way they took tropes and ran with them in interesting directions, it was great. Over the Garden Wall also had outstanding atmosphere and music and character designs and art, along with great character development, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

I didn't really care for Minerva Mink or Buttons & Mindy either, Rita & Runt and Chicken Boo are kind of borderline to me (I did sort of like the Goodfeathers but it probably doesn't hold up all that well now).

Minerva Mink only had 2 segments before they mostly retired her from the show

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Despite its darkness, I found Madoka's ending uplifting. However, I would really not recommend it to someone who likes Steven Universe and Gravity Falls. At least not without some preparation and some warnings.

I don't know about the state of anime - I still haven't had a chance to watch Jojo or Evangelion so I'm an ANIME SCRUB, but leaving the genre of cartoons opens up a whole lot because there's a poo poo ton of Sentai and Kamen Rider I've liked. But I'd rather have that conversation over PM, because there's too many - even though I have just barely scratched the surface of those - and I'd like to tailor requests a little more.

Stay far away from Madoka for now, then.

Honestly I felt Madoka's ending to be pretty drat depressing, even more so due to the movie and how it ended(especially since it appears to be a cliffhanger that will never be resolved)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One last thing that this clip illustrates about Phineas and Ferb - they managed to give a character who is historically the most boring character in any show, the hot love interest, and give him an actual personality. This is Jeremy's response to Candace asking Why he fell in love with her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sCakhqJu-Y

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Phineas and Ferb is kind of brilliant. For a show to stick to such a rigid formula for over 200 episodes and still manage to surprise you is pretty remarkable.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Since I'm noting down all these cartoons / anime I might potentially love, I have two more questions: Should I watch Miraculous Ladybug? And does anyone here know if there's a such thing as a cartoon or anime other than SU that portrays gay women or trans women in a positive light?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I haven't watched it myself, but SU takes a lot of shots from Utena, a fencing Anime, that from what I've seen seems to be mainly lesbians fencing each other.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ladybug is a pretty neat show, but season 1 is almost entirely episodic beyond some character relationships. Season 2 seems to be expanding on the lore and becoming more serialized but its been delayed quite a few times.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You can watch all of Utena on YouTube apparently, first episode is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA

Also I'm gonna throw out a recommendation for the anime Symphogear. It has a real strong cast of likeable characters. It'll take some dark turns, but it gets very positive at the end of each season. Also it doesn't come out and say it but the main character and her best friend are definitely in love with each other and the show treats it as a normal thing. The only real bad part I would say is the villain's introduction in the first season is gross and bad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Phineas and Ferb is kind of brilliant. For a show to stick to such a rigid formula for over 200 episodes and still manage to surprise you is pretty remarkable.

I think one thing that helped was how dedicated the creators were to making it happen, they had been pitching the show to networks since around 1995 while they were still working on Rocko's Modern Life

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Minerva Mink only had 2 segments before they mostly retired her from the show

Ah, I haven't seen all of Animanics so I wasn't sure. Nice to know that even the producers realized she was a terrible idea though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

paradoxGentleman posted:

I would Highly recommend Over the Garden Wall. Few shows manage that level of atmosphere, and the art is just lovely.

The worst thing about Over The Garden Wall is that it was only 10 episodes. Such a great show.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think it was more the censors breathing down their necks than they themselves deciding her stuff wasn't working

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cartoon Violence posted:

There aren't really a lot of options like those delving into past shows; letting cartoons have long-term character development and arcs is sort of a new thing. Definitely check out Avatar: The Last Airbender if you haven't already. I'd also recommend Over the Garden Wall pretty highly, although that's more niche, and less of a binge since it was just a miniseries. OK KO is also tops.

Outside of that it's more mixed...Adventure Time was what started the current animation renaissance that Steven Universe is part of, but it's more episodic, and when it starts going more long-term there's some uncomfortable growing pains. Also episodic but great would be the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, where a lot of the talent making shows right now came from. Shows earlier than that I don't trust my opinions on, since I was just a kid and I've got nostalgia about.

Anime-wise, I've fallen out of watching much, but I'd like to recommend my favorite: School Rumble. It's built on a backbone of romantic comedy, but it's got a lot of heart, and you get to know the characters outside of their bizarre crushes on random individuals.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks so much to everyone for all the suggestions! Because of that and me finding a site that lists recent feminist anime, I've got myself a nice little list of stuff to binge this winter! Thanks again!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't watched it myself, but SU takes a lot of shots from Utena, a fencing Anime, that from what I've seen seems to be mainly lesbians fencing each other.
Utena kind of goes batshit insane. The second arc is mostly a retread of the first, and the bit after gets into really odd, dark, uncomfortable territory.

I'd still say watch it if you have a chance, with the caveat that you shouldn't expect a clean ending. Which kind of makes sense since the undercurrent is unhealthy relationships

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't know about the state of anime - I still haven't had a chance to watch Jojo or Evangelion so I'm an ANIME SCRUB
JoJo is fun actiony stuff in the vein of a bombastic 80s flick. DIO is a really fun villain, to boot.
If you're looking at JoJo then you should probably check out the Gurren Lagan OVAs. They condense the series nicely.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

You could also make the rather weak comparison between SU and Land of the Lustrous, since they both feature a cast of gem humanoids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8

Lustrous goes bleaker at points and is more about a central character struggling to find purpose, but the ensemble cast gives a bit of SU's family vibe and the director's comedy chops keep the series light. It's also just uniquely beautiful/impressive for a tv anime production, and has some great voicework.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Ah, I haven't seen all of Animanics so I wasn't sure. Nice to know that even the producers realized she was a terrible idea though.

I think it was less that, and more that broadcast standards and practices basically told them to quit it because of the level of innuendo and sexuality.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Larryb posted:

and yet terrible parts of the internet still exist.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

Cartoon Violence posted:

Since I'm noting down all these cartoons / anime I might potentially love, I have two more questions: Should I watch Miraculous Ladybug? And does anyone here know if there's a such thing as a cartoon or anime other than SU that portrays gay women or trans women in a positive light?

Maybe the '90s Sailor Moon anime? It has a lot of LGBT characters (Zoicite, Kunzite, Fisheye, some minor one-episode characters, arguably Seiya, and the infamous "cousins" Haruka and Michiru). Some of those characters are villains, but they have a good amount of characterization instead of just being stereotypes. If you want to skip filler, you COULD watch Sailor Moon Crystal, but in my opinion that doesn't have nearly as much character development that the '90s filler episodes provide. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I love Steven Universe so much is because of the obvious Sailor Moon influence.

If you don't mind cutesy and feel-good, Cardcaptor Sakura might work too. I think the manga has a lot more LGBT relationships than the anime does, but it also has an "oh god NO" relationship between a teacher and their underage student, so...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wandering Son is not perfect but it's as realistic a depiction of trans adolescents are you're gonna get out of Japan for now. The anime makes a serious faus pax with the final line of the final episode but other than that it's a good adaption that unfortunately ends in the middle of the manga story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Death Bear posted:

Maybe the '90s Sailor Moon anime? It has a lot of LGBT characters (Zoicite, Kunzite, Fisheye, some minor one-episode characters, arguably Seiya, and the infamous "cousins" Haruka and Michiru). Some of those characters are villains, but they have a good amount of characterization instead of just being stereotypes. If you want to skip filler, you COULD watch Sailor Moon Crystal, but in my opinion that doesn't have nearly as much character development that the '90s filler episodes provide. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I love Steven Universe so much is because of the obvious Sailor Moon influence.

If you don't mind cutesy and feel-good, Cardcaptor Sakura might work too. I think the manga has a lot more LGBT relationships than the anime does, but it also has an "oh god NO" relationship between a teacher and their underage student, so...

On the other hand the second season, which has a very different structure to the first season, also has Clow Reed's reincarnation attacking Sakura with the Piano from Mario 64 so it balances out.