Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Extra had better gameplay than Extella by a huge margin imo. Strip off the Fate branding and Extra is a 6/10 game and Extella is more like 4/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Extra had better gameplay than Extella by a huge margin imo. Strip off the Fate branding and Extra is a 6/10 game and Extella is more like 4/10.

I think your putting extra too high. I like it but the base game play is so incredibly dull.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nyaa posted:

In regard to long hairstyles. A mage’s hair can be use as their best ‘weapon’, for ingredient, or item, as it can amplify spells and the like.

That’s why many mages keep their hair long.

Archer Bayonetta, exclusive to the Switch version of Extella Link

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

I think your putting extra too high. I like it but the base game play is so incredibly dull.

I liked the resource management game that MP is when you pick Caster, because it asks how sure you are about your odds and how much you're willing to spend to make your odds 100%. Saber route is dull though yeah. Dunno about Archer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked the resource management game that MP is when you pick Caster, because it asks how sure you are about your odds and how much you're willing to spend to make your odds 100%. Saber route is dull though yeah. Dunno about Archer.

Yeah I used Nero, and the gameplay is the most mindless thing in the world until you get to bosses where you just spam skills and np's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little surprised Extella was popular enough to get a sequel because it suuuuuucked. Even if the plot/characters were popular it's not like most of them even originated in the world's shittiest warriors clone and if they wanted to write more stories about Tamamo and Altera they could have done so in a good game.
a fate warriors game is a good idea and if they just increased the speed and removed extella maneuvers itd be fine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

a fate warriors game is a good idea and if they just increased the speed and removed extella maneuvers itd be fine

Maybe give the whole thing a bit more impact, too. Alex is one of the few characters who feels as powerful as he should. Karna is especially disappointing, but Gilgamesh could feel like more of a shitwrecker, too.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you up against the week boss after getting your NP unlocked? spend the whole first turn Trace stacking, use NP, spam Caldabolg until either the enemy is dead or you need to use a full restore item for MP. Before that he's a bit worse a beatstick than Nero, but not by too much.

Still never actually completed week 6 with Casko, not really feeling a real desire to either. Unfortunately.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

pekeko is a good artist

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Fate/hollow ataraxia. That was a pretty great experience all around.

Pretty much a distillation of all of the good parts of the cast, consistently funny and often heartwarming. Even characters I've always been ambivalent towards like Saber were a lot of fun. I guess Kojiro got a little shafted though. But even that is balanced out by FHA Rider being an all-time TYPE-MOON MVP.

I suppose if I were to levy any complaints it'd be that the "serious" parts with Bazett/Avenger is very convoluted, which by its nature is probably to be expected, but I still preferred the more lighthearted slice of life segments.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bazette is cool and I really wish she was in more media. Add her on FGO as a pseudoservant Lugh drat it!!! And have her compete with Medb on which is the thirstier girl for Cu-chan.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Plutonis posted:

Bazette is cool and I really wish she was in more media. Add her on FGO as a pseudoservant Lugh drat it!!! And have her compete with Medb on which is the thirstier girl for Cu-chan.

I absolutely approve of this, make it happen DW

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think having Cu's dad and potential(?) lover become the same person is a good idea actually.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Good point

She'll get stuck as a comedy duo with Angra instead

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little surprised Extella was popular enough to get a sequel because it suuuuuucked. Even if the plot/characters were popular it's not like most of them even originated in the world's shittiest warriors clone and if they wanted to write more stories about Tamamo and Altera they could have done so in a good game.

Maybe people were just interested in a Fate game with actual gameplay? FGO is pretty popular, I think.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cuntellectual posted:

FGO is pretty popular, I think.

FGO is huge in Japan and there's a dedicated Goon thread and Discord for it so, yeah. Pretty popular.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I suppose if I were to levy any complaints it'd be that the "serious" parts with Bazett/Avenger is very convoluted, which by its nature is probably to be expected, but I still preferred the more lighthearted slice of life segments.
the scenario is a little convoluted but the characters themselves are incredibly compelling

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Give us a Bazett pseudo-servant in FGO please.

EDIT: Also TOHSAKA from capsule servant.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 8, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The next demi-servant is going to be Shirou/Muramasa and on that day wallets will spontaneously empty.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pierson posted:

The next demi-servant is going to be Shirou/Muramasa and on that day wallets will spontaneously empty.

Emiya and Emiya Alter will be added so people trying catalyst shenanigans will get spooked

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget Emiya (Assassin).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So does anybody know when the first part of heavens feel will start to be available to rewatch?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Standard turnaround time from theater screening to disc release is roughly 6 months, so I'd expect in late April/early May ish.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Compendium posted:

FGO is huge in Japan and there's a dedicated Goon thread and Discord for it so, yeah. Pretty popular.

It topped charts in China too, at one point.

I managed to break my gacha habit when fire emblem heroes came out, personally. Never again.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Fate / Grand Phantasm when?

https://twitter.com/FateGrandOrder/status/952200857323413504

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Someone translated some excerpts from a book about the history of Type Moon and FGO, there's some good stuff in there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/7q2rl9/the_trail_of_typemoon_the_biography_of_typemoon/

best part has to be

quote:

Takeuchi wanted to seriously bring Nasu's work and make it well known to public purely because he didn't want Nasu's talent to be wasted. So one day, when their usual TRPG routine amongst friends were going on, Takeuchi pulled Nasu to the second floor and told Nasu to not remain self-satisfied within his circle of friends and think further about his talent. To Nasu, this shocked him because those words given by Takeuchi to him was interpreted as this: "この美しい黄金の夕焼けと比べればお前はどうなんだ (lit. What are you when compared to this beautiful golden sunset)".

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
And from then on they were engaged

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jesus.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They're basically married, I don't think anyone can dispute that

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Takeuchi is the best friend a fussy writer can have.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I feel like this part that the OP added in a comment later is also worth reading.

quote:

When working on Tsukihime, things weren't sailing smoothly for them. First, Takeuchi had a full time job, so due to his work, he could not spend entire time working on it, and almost every day he lived a life where he went to work on day, and when night hits, he'd continue working on drawing characters after work, and he'd then work up to 3am in the morning. Due to the agreement after discussion that they'd first focus on quantity rather than quality, he had to work on roughly 240 different standing character poses with different expressions, and in a year he finished drawing 400 illustrations. In a way, he had to finish one illustration a day by average. Also, due to how his workplace was 5 minutes from his home through bicycle, He'd also work on his drawing during lunch break, cycling back home from his work place.

Nasu never had it easier either, after Kara no Kyoukai finished publishing its run, he initially could not work on the story because he quit his previous job in order to obtain the time to write, but also landed a part time job in the meanwhile in order to financially support himself. His workplace was not kind to him, having to work almost 20 hours per day due to him being a newbie that time, and his job were nothing but menial tasks. Thanks to that, he almost never had the chance to work on writing.

In order to proceed and work on what they started, and not willing to sacrifice their dream and passion, wasting Nasu's talent along the way, Takeuchi told Nasu "Don't worry about your financial issues, I'll support you, so please, focus yourself and finish Tsukihime.", and Takeuchi proceeded to use his savings and supported Nasu.

Like, holy cow these two.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Part time...20 hours a day" :stare:

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

quote:

"Don't worry about your financial issues, I'll support you...

Sounds like a proposal to me.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They deserves all the money they have now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Motto posted:

"Part time...20 hours a day" :stare:

Keep in mind that what is translated as "part time job" often doesn't refer to "less hours worked than a full-time job", but rather to non-contracted jobs. (I'm not sure if that's the proper expression. Basically jobs that don't really offer a stable career advancement path)
My guess is this refers to the latter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'm glad they can both make good money from Takeuchi just making more Saberfaces at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Saberface has already reached perfection, they don't need to make more new ones!