Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finally watching the season and I'm glad it's pretty transparently anti-Orange. Not a bad season to binge watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every so often I think about Oxygen again and how loving amazing it was :allears:

I try to think as little about the monk episodes as I can.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Finally watching the season and I'm glad it's pretty transparently anti-Orange. Not a bad season to binge watch.

Anti-Orange? As in the Orange Order?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Orange is just light brown

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Completely wrong thread

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Interesting. BF had previously stated that their Who license runs all the way up to Matt Smith's final ep. However, reading the new Vortex that's posted on line, Nick mentions that they've been in touch with Calpadi's agent about coming in. Apparently, however, Capaldi wants to take a break from being the Doctor for the time being. Nick also mentions that while Matt is extremely busy at the moment, it is something he may like to do later.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Capaldi deffo wants to take a break, he said so at the final panel at NYCC. I agree with that decision.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm guessing the deal is that they can basically use everything but the current Doctor, and now Capaldi's not the current Doctor anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Capaldi deffo wants to take a break, he said so at the final panel at NYCC. I agree with that decision.

Yeah, I'd love to hear him in Big Finish but his last televised story isn't even a month old yet, I have no doubt he wants some space after the emotional weight of "Doctor... I let you go" after a lifetime of wanting the role.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I'd love to hear him in Big Finish but his last televised story isn't even a month old yet

Pfft, it was last year

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Matt Smith may be eager to record audios but I'm not sure I'm eager to hear them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The only downside to Matt Smith doing audios is that we don't get to see his physical performance.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Matt Smith may be eager to record audios but I'm not sure I'm eager to hear them.

How come?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Actors who are known for more physical performances tend to fail when they try pure voice acting. Willa Holland did pretty decent as Thea Queen in Arrow, but her voice acting as Aqua in KH Birth By Sleep suffered from sounding really flat. Similarly, Matt Smith loaned his voice to those terrible BBC Dr Who freeware Point and Clicks from a few years ago and sounded similarly dull. Hell, there was even that debacle with Destiny where they hired a Game of Thrones actor to be the tutorial robot and his performance was so bad they actually redubbed him. Voice Acting is a totally different skill to physically being the character so without a strong, distinctive voice the performance itself takes way more effort to make work. Some actors do fine with both, like Patrick Warburton, but it's rare for someone to be funny in both situations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's (in)arguable that Mark Hamil is a much better voice actor than he is a normal one though he used to be known better for his actual acting.

Sylvester McCoy honestly had some of that himself- his early big Finish stuff isn't great. It took time for him to get ahold of things

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Former DWM editors Clayton Hickman and Tom Silsbury are having a discussion on Twitter about Who and magazines and whatnot. Most shocking revelation? Apparently the heads of the BBC thought the Who revival was just a passing fad, but Torchwood? That was going to be the show that lasted

https://twitter.com/stuart_manning/status/949799819039723520

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 7, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

This is a conversation that said that series 3 and 4 were the creative peak so it's not the only odd opinion floating around

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"The Doctor as Jesus? There's nowhere to go but down. Series over!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Apparently some at the BBC thought there was no way anyone could replace Tennant. Once again, it was RTD who had to convince them otherwise.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've cooled on the 11th Doctor, and every story I hear about Matt Smith's behavior in recent years has disappointed me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just noticed my 'start from the beginning of the Revival to the newest Christmas Special' is going to hurt as I see Love and Monsters is next. I never seen this one, I just know it suppose to be really bad. How bad is it compared to some really awful stories from Buffy like Beer Bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

I've cooled on the 11th Doctor, and every story I hear about Matt Smith's behavior in recent years has disappointed me.

?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rirse posted:

I just noticed my 'start from the beginning of the Revival to the newest Christmas Special' is going to hurt as I see Love and Monsters is next. I never seen this one, I just know it suppose to be really bad. How bad is it compared to some really awful stories from Buffy like Beer Bad.

Just make up your own mind on it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rirse posted:

Its not really bad as such, it's just a silly episode that's more overtly for kids and has a sex joke at the end which is in insanely poor taste.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rirse posted:

The monster is naff, there's a pretty bad moment with Rose, and it ends of pretty much the worst thing the show has ever done but other than that it's actually mostly pretty fun

I am the one-woman Love and Monsters Appreciation Society™

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rirse posted:

If you only watch like the first half it's not that bad. I've been doing a revival rewatch at the gym, and that's one of two episodes I've partially skipped over -- the other was Cold Blood.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rirse posted:

The bad bits are loving dire but it's built around a pretty neat idea and when it's exploring that it's actually okay.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I already know about the alien from the episode since I randomly ran into it's wikipedia entry when they were talking about letting kids design the Monster of the Week. So far I been enjoying all the episodes I seen. I know there are some stinkers coming up soon, as the OP mentions Voyage of the Dead which I think is coming up very soon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've got a bit of a soft spot for Voyage Of The Damned too, because the villain is a real piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat and I enjoy that

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

turns out there are no bad dr who episodes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Voyage of the Damned shares its name with the true story of holocaust fleeing Jews being turned away by multiple countries, so it can never be anything but rated F.

2house2fly posted:

Its not really bad as such, it's just a silly episode that's more overtly for kids and has a sex joke at the end which is in insanely poor taste.

It's for people who were involved in Doctor Who fandom in the 90s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

turns out there are no bad dr who episodes

Episodes 2 and 3 of The Ice Warriors, their presence just kills the story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Voyage of the Damned shares its name with the true story of holocaust fleeing Jews being turned away by multiple countries, so it can never be anything but rated F.

It's for people who were involved in Doctor Who fandom in the 90s

You just think that because the monster looks like Ian Levine

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Gonna need some details bud.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Finally watched Christmas special. Was not great except for the regeneration.

I do note that one of the Doctor's titles was "The Shadow of the Valyard", so they aren't pretending that that never happened.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was definitely not the first reference to the Valeyard in the revival.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Finally watched Christmas special. Was not great except for the regeneration.

I do note that one of the Doctor's titles was "The Shadow of the Valyard", so they aren't pretending that that never happened.

What, is Moffat going to pretend an entire season of Doctor Who didn't happen, even by omission? He's made reference to one of the 1996 movie's more controversial remarks about the Doctor, it's not like he's going to say the Valeyard didn't exist.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Gonna need some details bud.

Getting drunk at Alex Kingston's wedding and berating her for "betraying" him by appearing opposite Capaldi.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

That was definitely not the first reference to the Valeyard in the revival.

Yeah, there's been at least one other time when someone was rattling off other names the Doctor would be known by and "the Valeyard" got thrown in with stuff like "the oncoming storm."

DoctorWhat posted:

Getting drunk at Alex Kingston's wedding and berating her for "betraying" him by appearing opposite Capaldi.

Jeez, I'd completely blanked on that. That's really creepily possessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The other reference to the Valeyard was the Great Intelligence in Name Of The Doctor. I suppose since the Doctor isn't actually the Valeyard, the point of using it there was to imply Mr G Intelligence didn't know quite as much about the Doctor as he thought. Also someone somewhere outside the show (in an interview maybe? Or spinoff comic?) implied that the clone Doctor from Journey's End was the Valeyard

• Locked thread