Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a clear, obvious, provable ~30% hit for iops with no roadmap for a better solution. The charts are rolling in in this very thread. This is a giant problem for datacenters.

Do you own a lot of intel stock or something?

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t but he also doesn’t own any data centers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-more-x86pti&num=1

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a clear, obvious, provable ~30% hit for iops with no roadmap for a better solution. The charts are rolling in in this very thread. This is a giant problem for datacenters.

Do you own a lot of intel stock or something?

Hell even if it were only 5% the large datacenters would care, from what I have read Google and the like will go to extreme lengths and great efforts to get small improvements in performance/watt even going as far as designing some of their own hardware.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
30% seems like an outlier. I don't have the link, but Red Hat's testing hit 10-12%, and I tend to trust that they know real-world scenarios for enterprise.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

30% seems like an outlier. I don't have the link, but Red Hat's testing hit 10-12%, and I tend to trust that they know real-world scenarios for enterprise.

Even that's terribad. That's like two to three CPU generations wiped out at a time when performance increases are hard to come by.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 7, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Even that's terribad. That's like two to three CPU generations wiped out at a time when performance increases are hard to come by.

Hey man, if you’ve got a 10% performance hit, well, you could throw more CPUs at it. I’d be happy to sell you more of what you already have, so you’ve got uniformity and whatnot...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

On Xeon Scalable class hardware the I/O performance slowdowns when running the tests bare metal on the host tended to generally be just a few percent slower on affected benchmarks, less than with the "desktop" hardware.

What? Any theories why that would be?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rastor posted:

What? Any theories why that would be?

Intel knew.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’m largely indifferent to all of this stuff going on, but I went ahead and updated my bios. The weird thing is, it was released by Asus on 1/4 which makes sense but when I go to load it in the BIOS it says 12/12/17. Hmmmm...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If youre an end user, it really makes no difference. Having the latest BIOS is prolly a good thing though, especially if you have a x299 or z370 board, cause the early bios on those seemed pretty janky compared to the latest releases.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VulgarandStupid posted:

I’m largely indifferent to all of this stuff going on, but I went ahead and updated my bios. The weird thing is, it was released by Asus on 1/4 which makes sense but when I go to load it in the BIOS it says 12/12/17. Hmmmm...

Companies knew. Intel found out in June, developers of Ubuntu Linux found out in November, I have to imagine ASUS is a little closer to the Intel side of the scale.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm an end user, and the relevant windows update knocked 15 fps off World of Warships and World of Warplanes, having played it just before the update, and just after the update, with no other changes made. It's basically killed my i7 920 when I needed it to last another 4 months, so there's a greater than 100% chance I'll be getting a Ryzen 1700 or whatever the refresh is instead of anything Intel does.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enjoy playing your crappily optimised games on worst processors imaginable for them!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

At least they'll be playable, because the current 1-5fps isn't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

At least they'll be playable, because the current 1-5fps isn't.

They are guaranteed to be playable at higher framerates on any comparable Intel CPU released in 2013 or later. But that's your money to waste so go ahead with your rage fit over end of life accident on a decade old CPU.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They are guaranteed to be playable at higher framerates on any comparable Intel CPU released in 2013 or later. But that's your money to waste so go ahead with your rage fit over end of life accident on a decade old CPU.

Interesting to categorise reaction to a major security flaw, criminal activity from the CEO, and a major loss of function due to the fix patch as a "rage fit", but whatever you need to feel good about your pom poms I guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Interesting to categorise reaction to a major security flaw, criminal activity from the CEO, and a major loss of function due to the fix patch as a "rage fit", but whatever you need to feel good about your pom poms I guess

Yea yea sod off to AMD thread or wherever trash unable to take criticism, like yourself, congregates. Probably even that thread will tell you that AMD sucks compared to Intel, with Meltdown degradation factored in, for single-core workloads which your entire "use" case. Big question is not the understandable loss of performance or Intel's actions, but why on earth are you using a 10 year old CPU to begin with. CPUs rarely last that much, on normal gaming workloads, and most components will give out even before that.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 7, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
No question Nehalem is getting long in the tooth for gaming but it's still really nice as a server, if you don't mind the power consumption. Right now my Z400 with a W3565 is my ZFS server and today I set up Emby to do transcoding, so I can watch movies across my lovely wifi without it stuttering like crazy :toot:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yea yea sod off to AMD thread or wherever trash unable to take criticism, like yourself, congregates. Probably even that thread will tell you that AMD sucks compared to Intel, with Meltdown degradation factored in, for single-core workloads which your entire "use" case.

Nice meltdown

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm allergic to pom poms. :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If I had a use for a home server I might do that, but I really only have a use for a single desktop. My 920 has been soldiering on for a long time now, because I've not been able to afford an upgrade, and really still can't. The timing of this mega fuckup from Intel hasn't been great for me.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yea yea sod off to AMD thread or wherever trash unable to take criticism, like yourself, congregates. Probably even that thread will tell you that AMD sucks compared to Intel, with Meltdown degradation factored in, for single-core workloads which your entire "use" case.

I'm sorry Mr President, I didn't realise a stable genius like yourself had an account

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sorry Mr President, I didn't realise a stable genius like yourself had an account

Do let us know though how good ole BigWorld engine runs on a Ryzen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I will in a few months, when hopefully I'll be able to afford one. A 1700, an asrock board, and 16gb of DDR4-3200 is just under $1k dollarydoos, and it's not easy for me to put that much spare cash together.

Still using the original cpu, motherboard, and memory from 2008, and I'd still be using the gfx card too but for the GTX 295 not supporting dx11 and me needing it to play Fallout 4.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 7, 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lets cut down on the shitposts / attacks guys, yeah?

Re: BIOS build dates, usually that’s a compile-time token that gets populated when VeB runs the build. So yeah, that BIOS was built in December because Asus / others got briefed in earlier.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh poo poo I didn't even think about it, my Coppermine Thinkpad is affected too :ohdear:

Now it's personal!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NTRabbit posted:

I'm an end user, and the relevant windows update knocked 15 fps off World of Warships and World of Warplanes, having played it just before the update, and just after the update, with no other changes made. It's basically killed my i7 920 when I needed it to last another 4 months, so there's a greater than 100% chance I'll be getting a Ryzen 1700 or whatever the refresh is instead of anything Intel does.

I doubt that has anything to do with the intel meltdown issue, honestly? That sounds like something else is wrong, like a driver not playing nice or somethin.

e:

Oh poo poo, uh, yeah. I think you might be a collateral damage of an update where people were like 'the gently caress is GTX 295? why would i test that?' Thing is literally 9 years old.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 7, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cygni posted:

I doubt that has anything to do with the intel meltdown issue, honestly? That sounds like something else is wrong, like a driver not playing nice or somethin.

It could easily be Meltdown-related, that CPU neither has PCID nor is fast as-is. Maybe its ancient enough for some extra PCID-style slowdowns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It could easily be Meltdown-related, that CPU neither has PCID nor is fast as-is. Maybe its ancient enough for some extra PCID-style slowdowns.

I dunno man i aint seen anybody else report 93% frame rate decreases in games from these patches. I dont know poo poo but that seems like somethin else is up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cygni posted:

Oh poo poo, uh, yeah. I think you might be a collateral damage of an update where people were like 'the gently caress is GTX 295? why would i test that?' Thing is literally 9 years old.

GTX 295 was what I first built this machine with, I'm currently running an R9 380, and I got the last driver update for that in December

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NTRabbit posted:

GTX 295 was what I first built this machine with, I'm currently running an R9 380, and I got the last driver update for that in December

ah gently caress im a dumb reader, sorry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cygni posted:

I dunno man i aint seen anybody else report 93% frame rate decreases in games from these patches. I dont know poo poo but that seems like somethin else is up.

I'm not sure there are many people reporting BigWorld benchmarks for Bloomfield processors in January 2018, that'd be beyond bizarre.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

NTRabbit posted:

I will in a few months, when hopefully I'll be able to afford one. A 1700, an asrock board, and 16gb of DDR4-3200 is just under $1k dollarydoos, and it's not easy for me to put that much spare cash together.

Still using the original cpu, motherboard, and memory from 2008, and I'd still be using the gfx card too but for the GTX 295 not supporting dx11 and me needing it to play Fallout 4.

If money is tight, I'd try to see if it's possible to uninstall the patch and see if that solves the performance issue, just to be 100% sure if it's just that patch that's the issue and not something else.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do you think they will have fixed it in architecture for the next Intel chips? Doesn't sound like they can get the performance back.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Carecat posted:

Do you think they will have fixed it in architecture for the next Intel chips? Doesn't sound like they can get the performance back.

I read that existing designs in the pipeline will be affected too, apparently only a totally new CPU design with the intent to avoid the flaw will do the trick.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Installed the 3601 (beta) update for the Asus H81M-P Plus. SpeculationControlSettings now report all green on the i5 4440. Don't know if the Asus update with microcode was necessary 'cause I didn't figure out how to run the SpeculationControl before now, but I needed to change the boot logo anyway :v:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I just had that update for the fix yesterday, and today my RAM speed reverted to the default 2133 from 3000. I'm not too concerned but would the two possibly be related?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I just had that update for the fix yesterday, and today my RAM speed reverted to the default 2133 from 3000. I'm not too concerned but would the two possibly be related?

Your bios dumped its settings when you updated the firmware. You just need to go in and select the xmp profile for your ram.

I updated my bios to most recent from december, lost all my overclock settings, and it didn't fix spectre :argh:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

mewse posted:

Your bios dumped its settings when you updated the firmware. You just need to go in and select the xmp profile for your ram.

I updated my bios to most recent from december, lost all my overclock settings, and it didn't fix spectre :argh:

Ah thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PC Perspective got some interesting results from their post-Meltdown storage benchmarks

PC Perspective posted:

The 960 EVO comes in at that same 20% drop seen elsewhere, but check out the 850 EVO's nearly 10% *increase* in performance. The 900P pushes this further, showing an over 15% *increase*. You would figure that a patch that adds latency to API calls would have a noticeable impact on a storage device offering extremely low latencies, but that did not end up being the case in practice.

[...]

Well there you have it. Some gain and some lose. Given that a far lower latency device (900P) sees zero performance hit (actually gaining speed), I suspect that whatever penalty associated with Meltdown could be easily optimized out via updates to the Windows Inbox and Samsung NVMe drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Getting BSODs since yesterday after installing the update. Sucks for me, but can’t imagine the headache we’ve still got ahead of us. And just as people are setting up the hardware they got for Christmas.