Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

WampaLord posted:

:shrug: I'm just going by what Google says:

I'm guessing the writers were too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

:shrug: I'm just going by what Google says:

irrisio: derision, mockery
infidelis: unfaithful, unbelieving, infidel
convivium: banquet, feast

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lmao

Fake Latin is a tradition almost as old as the Romans themselves these guys suck

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's The Bad Place. Even the Latin. ESPECIALLY the Latin.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope we see another seal but with Pig Latin instead.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

lmao

Fake Latin is a tradition almost as old as the Romans themselves these guys suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI&t=48s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:hai:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The grammar is super bad and none of the endings or plurals agree. It's something like "Unfaithful Feasts mockeries - I fear his"

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 7, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Taking Latin = -10,000 points

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
yeah feel smugly superior now nerds, you're ALL going to the Bad Place!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

As scrupulously nerdy as the show is, I'm just shocked they didn't run it by a Latin speaker. I can sort of recognize what they intended except for "Eius" which is just a weird dangling pronoun.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Deficient brain: Latin is Bad Place because Latin is the worst

Large brain: Fake Latin is Bad Place because lazy and incorrect translations are evil

Energized brain: Fake Latin is Bad Place because the only people it annoys are those with the greatest need for any semblance of joy in their cold, beige lives

Transcendent brain: SEMPER UBI SUB UBI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Derek Maximus

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The grammar is super bad and none of the endings or plurals agree. It's something like "Unfaithful Feasts mockeries - I fear his"

I'm glad someone is taking this seriously, i thought i was going to have to take a class.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
This kind of reminds me of when Aaron Sorkin had the latin dialogue in Two Cathedrals on West Wing. He said he wrote in english the dialogue and gave it to a professor at USC to translate . He then took that and gave it to a professor at UCLA to translate back into english. He took all of those to yet another professor to synthesize the best translation.

My point is if it takes three separate academics to get an accurate translation, then I am ok with you fudging. We all get what they were trying to say.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNTTf-qmERc

Lol you know things

You want to know things? Loser

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"You're not a demon, you're just a jerk."

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I do kind of wonder why they didn't just offer these four a job, since they're all terrible people.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
That episode was excellent. The most amazing part of this show for me is it just flies by.

Also I’d like to plug superstore the last couple episodes were really on point for humour.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tsob posted:

"You're not a demon, you're just a jerk."

everything about that delivery was perfect

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

swickles posted:

This kind of reminds me of when Aaron Sorkin had the latin dialogue in Two Cathedrals on West Wing. He said he wrote in english the dialogue and gave it to a professor at USC to translate . He then took that and gave it to a professor at UCLA to translate back into english. He took all of those to yet another professor to synthesize the best translation.

My point is if it takes three separate academics to get an accurate translation, then I am ok with you fudging. We all get what they were trying to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrlvVhL35Ws

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

swickles posted:

That was actually a funny story that came up in one of my classes; it was because Sorkin wanted Bartlett to curse God using mild idomatic English profanity, ("To hell with you!") but it turns out that actual Latin profanity is almost totally, and astonishingly, scatological in nature, so they had to kludge something together to fit. He actually says something like "To the cross with you," or "Crucify those words", or similar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Spanish Matlock posted:

I do kind of wonder why they didn't just offer these four a job, since they're all terrible people.

Michael doesn't offer them a job because he knows at least some of them wouldn't accept, Sean doesn't offer them a job because he doesn't know how terrible they are in anything more than an academic "read their files" way, the demons don't offer them a job because like Michael was until recently they're entirely dismissive of humans and unable to believe they could be as good as them at anything even when presented with evidence to the contrary and the Bad Place doesn't offer them a job because they want to dissect their brains to make Michael's new method of mental torture even better.

Old Eleanor would have accepted a job in a heartbeat, but Chidi would be horrified at the very idea, Tahani would be equally horrified at the concept of working for anyone or anything and Jason would probably just not care or try and skive off even if he accepted initially. At this point though all four would probably turn them down even if it was offered; even if Jason was mostly doing it because every else did and peer pressure forced him. Or he was just told not to.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
If you're not following The Good Place on Instagram, you should be. They're sending Manny Jacinto (Jason) to the Jacksonville Jaguars playoff game today and he's posting stuff to their 'stories' which you can only see if you're a follower.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The only way to get humans to torture each other is by offering them a reprieve from their own torture, and that decreases the total amount of torture so they can't do it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

zamiel posted:

If you're not following The Good Place on Instagram, you should be. They're sending Manny Jacinto (Jason) to the Jacksonville Jaguars playoff game today and he's posting stuff to their 'stories' which you can only see if you're a follower.

I am rooting for the Jags entirely on Jason’s behalf.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAHucR--s0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

navyjack posted:

I am rooting for the Jags entirely on Jason’s behalf.

This but the opposite. The Jags running gag is one of my favorite ones the show has introduced, and them winning would ruin it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

zamiel posted:

I can't wait for them to find an excuse for Jason to dance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/r9IXl5sCOd/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Have we seen Jason dance on the show? I feel like it's one of those gags that's being built up with his mentions of his dance crew, and he'll finally have to do it and the other 4 are cringing, assuming it's as bad as his music, but then he does poo poo like that.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, and Sean's response to the humans escaping was "This is PR nightmare. We need to cover it up." Seems like he might think the same thing when he finds out the truth.
My question is, PR to who? Is there some sort of consumer or voter base that keeps them in power?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's still possible Michael was just doing this to save himself. The most likely people to rat on him were Vicky and the humans, now Vicky is discredited and the humans think he's on their side.
My theory during was that Michael was still on their side because he knows this new system isn't going to work. If it failed with 4 perfectly picked humans it's definitely going to fail as they scale up. So for purely selfish reasons he also wants to leave the bad place. I think he also knows that they probably can't reach the good place from his look at the end.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fritzler posted:

My question is, PR to who? Is there some sort of consumer or voter base that keeps them in power?

His own higher ups, I assume. He's using "PR nightmare" in a figurative sense, I assume The Bad Place doesn't have a PR department.

I do love the implication that The Bad Place is just a giant loving mess of a bureaucracy, with Michael being like Peter from Office Space. "I have eight bosses!"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Maybe PR means Parks & Rec.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The last episode had the perfect amount of Mantzoukas.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

clown shoes posted:

Maybe PR means Parks & Rec.

I want to find Leslie Knope managing the Good Place.

With little Sebastian.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silly Burrito posted:

I want to find Leslie Knope managing the Good Place.

With little Sebastian.

casting Amy Poehler as God would be so perfect it's too good for this world

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think I want Andy Daly as God tbh. Or Satan.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

precision posted:

casting Amy Poehler as God would be so perfect it's too good for this world

Knowing Mike Schur as little as I do, I feel safe in assuming that if they do cast someone to play god, it will be a woman of color.

Or David Ortiz.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
God will be an extremely peppy Stephanie Beatriz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Gilbert Gottfried as god

or if they want to avoid any religious controversy, make it an animal like a goat or something and nobody ever mentions it and all the characters just understand him like the chinese guy in the oceans movies

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 9, 2018

• Locked thread