Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Sorry filth, for abndoning you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

gonadic io made a bot that tracks games and such for the discord so we're 69/100 way to having all the necessary tools to completely replace irc

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Discord is even worse than IRC. At least IRC you can choose your client and not need to install anything

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you can use a web interface for discord also

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Discord is also a lot more noob friendly

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IAmThatIs posted:

Discord is also a lot more noob friendly

This. Every person using discord is a noob.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Speleothing posted:

Discord is even worse than IRC. At least IRC you can choose your client and not need to install anything

You don't need to install anything for discord, you goofus. Just click link and talk to people (and automatically your entire chat history saved so diplomacy is a lot easier to keep track of).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speleothing posted:

You don't need install anything... Except the client you chose. So in the end you have to install something.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Speleothing posted:

Discord is even worse than IRC.

Nothing is worse than IRC

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

You don't need to install anything for discord, you goofus. Just click link and talk to people (and automatically your entire chat history saved so diplomacy is a lot easier to keep track of).

Ha ha, his argument doesn't even work for dumb assholes like me, because I installed both Discord and IRC-clients on my PC! I have the worst of both worlds! :haw:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

new version of the debug mod which includes all the spells again

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Illwinter likes Sparta

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Island algorithm is now implemented as part of both making underwater maneuvering more interesting and limiting the amount of "free" water provinces for lone water starts. Some example maps:

Next step: kelp forests (underwater farmland, basically). The placement algorithm has been complete for forever, but I have yet to come up with graphics that I like for kelp forests. I'm open to inspiration and/or assistance.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

gonadic io made a bot that tracks games and such for the discord so we're 69/100 way to having all the necessary tools to completely replace irc

quote bot when

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Nothing is worse than IRC

Much like your posting

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just got this game around Christmas and haven't played dominions since 3. I have been playing AI games with a couple different nations but nazca has really stood out to me as super fun to play as wierd incan mummy birds.

Problem is I don't know whether to go with an awake combat pretender (as nazca forces seem super brittle), or use condor warriors with a bless to snipe commanders. Or just use my mummies to summon more undead and mummies and throw giant birds at people.

Any advice on a good early to midgame strategy?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TulliusCicero posted:

Just got this game around Christmas and haven't played dominions since 3. I have been playing AI games with a couple different nations but nazca has really stood out to me as super fun to play as wierd incan mummy birds.

Problem is I don't know whether to go with an awake combat pretender (as nazca forces seem super brittle), or use condor warriors with a bless to snipe commanders. Or just use my mummies to summon more undead and mummies and throw giant birds at people.

BURDS

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TulliusCicero posted:

nazca has some bullshit sacred birb summon you get early, spam that, win rush game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
my strategy is pic frost father with thunder weapons and quickness bless and buy as many air gems as you can from other players and use your pretender to turn 9 air gems into 20 condors over and over forever and throw them at every enemy you can find

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here is a mod to add new H2s which affect sacred guys to paths that aren't Blood, which also makes Holy Word, the sacred stun, into the thing you get if you don't put 4 points into anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg36tyz45edh7ly/h...lls_v1.zip?dl=0

Here are the effects:

F - Fire Bonds type effect
A - False Fetters, MRN
W - Slow, MRNE
E - Curse of Stones, MRN
S - 20 Fatigue Damage, MRN
D - Limp, MRN
N - Stun, MRN, and possibly Enrage after, MRNE

Enjoy. There are probably awful balance issues so bring them up.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 9, 2018

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I hear Pan is some bullshit right now? What kind of OP bullshit? Gonna start a game up with them and enjoy pre-nerf bat.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Donkringel posted:

So I hear Pan is some bullshit right now? What kind of OP bullshit? Gonna start a game up with them and enjoy pre-nerf bat.

Lol if you think they'll be nerfed, they'll probably get buffed more.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Donkringel posted:

all of the insane bullshit they had before but now labs are 250 in forests and they have spell to instantly make a fort in a forest for a couple turns of nature gems. this spell is available from turn 1 in ea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Howdy Dominions goons. A friend of mine has this game and I tried it out a bit with him, though honestly I had more fun coming up with pretenders than I had playing.

I, uh, I think I hit jackpot with MA Ulm and an awake Great Mother chasis.

Advantages of the chasis:
Max size, giant HP pool, regeneration, trampling, E and N access.

Disadvantages:
Pricy for a titan, poo poo armor, poo poo combat stats, fights with fists, racks up fatigue and afflictions fast.

How to make something useful out of this:
Ulm has a dump scale in drain, so that's 120 free points, taking the edge off the price of the titan. (but Ulm needs those extra points anyway, so, on its own, meh)
You can cheaply up E to 4 for double reinvigoration and N to 5 for recuperation. (but you're just spending points to patch up your pretender's weaknesses, so, on its own, meh)
Still, your protection is utter poo poo and no amount of hitpoints is going to save you from a swarm without it. Of course, you can forge some armor for it, but that takes time and gems that you don't really have, and why take an awake pretender in the first place if you're going to wait.
Except with MA Ulm, you don't have to wait. Your blacksteel items have a discount, your smiths remove 2 gems extra from that, and you earn 5 earth gems a turn from your cap. Meaning that if you buy a master smith on turn 1, you can have your 200+hp regenerating pretender covered up in a total of 28 protection and ready to go on turn 3. She'll still fatigue out really fast, but she'll have so much goddamn armor that she'll easily regenerate faster than heavy cav or barbarians can hurt her while she's napping, and you don't give a gently caress about her attack stat because she's just rolling over people when she wakes up. She'll recover from afflictions, but doesn't have to pause for it because it's not like she's using limbs or eyes or her brain, she's just sort of jiggling around in a tin can. If you really want to give her a weapon, you can have her poo poo out a lab somewhere you'd want a fort eventually anyway, and have one of your smiths forge that con2 two handed armor-piercing sword for 3 earth gems, maybe also boots of strength or a trinket of some sort to boost her stats. That way, she can maybe deal with the rare enemy she can't just sit on and call it a day, like, say, a rival pretender.

Really, in the end, she's less of a pretender god and more of a bowling ball.

And the best part? You can afford the above and 6 dominion candles before you take 3 drain. Plenty of room for fiddling with scales for optimal results. And once the expansion is done, you have a decent sitesearcher and spellcaster for a path your faction doesn't innately get.

Any criticism about the idea? Am I reinventing the wheel and coming up with a build someone already suggested?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MF_James posted:

nazca has some bullshit sacred birb summon you get early, spam that, win rush game.

I just fought those stupid ethereal birds with sacreds who had magic weapons as their bless and they still never died. Very strong birds, would curse impotently again.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

my dad posted:

And the best part? You can afford the above and 6 dominion candles before you take 3 drain. Plenty of room for fiddling with scales for optimal results. And once the expansion is done, you have a decent sitesearcher and spellcaster for a path your faction doesn't innately get.

Any criticism about the idea? Am I reinventing the wheel and coming up with a build someone already suggested?

I'm not sure it's much better than other awake expanders, even after getting geared up, and spending time gearing up not only reduces strategic flexibility but more importantly loses you a couple provinces overall, plus it loses you the income, etc from them for those first couple turns, which is when it's at its most valuable.

To be fair, I'm mainly comparing it to the earth snake and I totally get being bored by that, and having Nature 5 definitely opens some good options later on. I feel like it's not the best option for early expansion though.

edit: Boar also seems much better as an expansion option for a more direct comparison. I also feel like the boar doesn't have any real downsides compared to this either, whereas at least the snake probably won't be casting cool nature globals.
edit2: I guess berserker is actually kinda lovely after expansion is over if you want to combat cast, so that is a boar downside

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 10, 2018

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Nazca chat: I'm playing as them in the Newbie game, and they've been a blast! My strategy has been to fart out ridiculous amounts of Supayas (ghost birbs) using the cap only 800 gold mage. With a construction 4 item 10 fire gem helmet, each can summon 4 per turn. Nazca also has flying H3 commanders, who can lead the Supayas if given a different construction 4 helmet that gives undead leadership. This allows for me to drop spooky bird bombs, backed up by swarms of hatuc ranas, or whatever the free slaves are called.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I'm not sure it's much better than other awake expanders, even after getting geared up, and spending time gearing up not only reduces strategic flexibility but more importantly loses you a couple provinces overall, plus it loses you the income, etc from them for those first couple turns, which is when it's at its most valuable.

To be fair, I'm mainly comparing it to the earth snake and I totally get being bored by that, and having Nature 5 definitely opens some good options later on. I feel like it's not the best option for early expansion though.

edit: Boar also seems much better as an expansion option for a more direct comparison. I also feel like the boar doesn't have any real downsides compared to this either, whereas at least the snake probably won't be casting cool nature globals.
edit2: I guess berserker is actually kinda lovely after expansion is over if you want to combat cast, so that is a boar downside

Yeah, the initial snowball seems crucial. That having been said...

Assuming you don't expand blind, gearing up only takes one turn, for two pieces of armor, one item forged by a smith you were going to recruit anyway, one item forged by the pretender on that same turn, being able to do this is what massively changes this pretender for Ulm. Everything afterwards is optional, in case you already have to stop somewhere for some reason anyway, and only really needed if you intend to kill another player early on. So, instead of heading out on turn 2, you head out on turn 3. Still, that's losing you 1 province income per turn until the end of the expansion phase, plus whatever you lose via being late to the party wrt good provinces, that is correct.

However, the chasis does have the advantage of innate regeneration, rather than relying on a bless (or on a buff that requires research you might want to direct elsewhere and won't be available to you from the start), which means that you can take her out of your dominion without risking being chipped to death, and have so much health that you can attack into moderately strong enemy dominion without major issues, regen will still kick in strongly enough to keep you alive vs high damage chaff.

What indie difficulty are multiplayer game played on? I ran my SP tests on 9, so I might have been thinking in terms of complete overkill for what you actually need to reliably clean up MP indies. With these settings, I tested her out against heavy cav provinces, swamp lizards, barbarians, and a couple of level one thrones and she facetanked her way through them easily.

An added bonus is that she has full equipment slots, and you're Ulm and are good at making gear (and if you can't make it, the forge discount lets you make some otherwise rather unfavorable trades with other players) so you have a chunky thug/SC lite you can easily customize to suit your needs and doesn't go absolete as soon as the indie clearing is done.

MA Ulm seems to me like a nation with ridiculous early game burst potential. You have poweful armored infantry that you can specialize depending on whom you're fighting, you have recruitable magic weapon antisacreds, you can recruit 50% more battlemages/researchers per turn than anyone else (and good early evocations for them to cast) and actually afford it, your starting gem income is concentrated in earth, meaning that you can leverage the entirety of it into a semi-decent summon when you need it (6 ogres/10 gems), and your target research for leveraging all of this is really low level (evocation 3, conjuration 2). In addition to all of this, you have a recruitable commander with a large siege bonus, and with the Earth Mother, a big trampling blob of armored regenerating HP with a lot of strength that can be customized to deal with a lot of things you don't otherwise have the tools to do even in enemy dominion. You are a pain in the rear end and highly risky to attack, and can use all of the above combined to just delete a player and take their cap before they can develop the tools to counter you.

Then again, I'm just theorycrafting, and I imagine there's way too much of that in games like this one. :)

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

my dad posted:

Yeah, the initial snowball seems crucial. That having been said...

Assuming you don't expand blind, gearing up only takes one turn, for two pieces of armor, one item forged by a smith you were going to recruit anyway, one item forged by the pretender on that same turn, being able to do this is what massively changes this pretender for Ulm. Everything afterwards is optional, in case you already have to stop somewhere for some reason anyway, and only really needed if you intend to kill another player early on. So, instead of heading out on turn 2, you head out on turn 3. Still, that's losing you 1 province income per turn until the end of the expansion phase, plus whatever you lose via being late to the party wrt good provinces, that is correct.

However, the chasis does have the advantage of innate regeneration, rather than relying on a bless (or on a buff that requires research you might want to direct elsewhere and won't be available to you from the start), which means that you can take her out of your dominion without risking being chipped to death, and have so much health that you can attack into moderately strong enemy dominion without major issues, regen will still kick in strongly enough to keep you alive vs high damage chaff.

What indie difficulty are multiplayer game played on? I ran my SP tests on 9, so I might have been thinking in terms of complete overkill for what you actually need to reliably clean up MP indies. With these settings, I tested her out against heavy cav provinces, swamp lizards, barbarians, and a couple of level one thrones and she facetanked her way through them easily.

MP games almost never touch the indie strength slider unless there's some bizarre gimmick. I'm sure she's pretty powerful, but I do feel like you're not getting a huge edge on other expanders (on balance) against most indies, and there is a real cost.

Speaking of which, some people don't do this, but I almost always blind expand turn 1 with an awake expander.

I do think you have a really neat idea though, and it's definitely not bad or a particularly dangerous thing, so I'd suggest joining a game and maybe trying.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not an expert by any means but part of the strength of the Earth Snake was that you could just T1 mash on a province that didn't look like it would have heavy cav and being able to start taking in extra cash from the world go was a serious draw to the chassis. Having to wait any amount of time is a significant tradeoff.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I T1 blind expand with a lot of stuff, I'd say about 50-60% of the time with starter armies, not just awake expanders, though it's closer to 90% with gods.

A lot of nations have decent starting armies that, provided you can position correctly, can roll over most indies other than heavy cav or some dumb 60xbow provinces.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I blind expand with the ulm starting force all the time. Gearing up your pretender is good because geared up she can likely roll that heavy cav or whatever province as well.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Voyager I posted:

I'm not an expert by any means but part of the strength of the Earth Snake was that you could just T1 mash on a province that didn't look like it would have heavy cav and being able to start taking in extra cash from the world go was a serious draw to the chassis. Having to wait any amount of time is a significant tradeoff.

In all of my time playing dominions the videogames the Earth Snakes was the only pretender I ever loving blind expanded with.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Going to have to work on something else for a while, but I consider the basic road principle to be proven:

A lot of refinement to be done in details, and in choosing provinces to be connected, but the rendering technique works.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 11, 2018

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
[4:56 PM] samog: make a mod that buffs cats instead
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: game definitely lacks cats
[4:56 PM] jsoh: hun balum is already really strong
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: I was thinking about a mod nation that's just cats
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: every commander is a seducer
[4:57 PM] Decrepus: why do you find cats seductive
[4:57 PM] Speleothing: because if you don't agree to rub their heads, they kill you
[4:57 PM] Decrepus: o i c
[4:58 PM] Decrepus: every commander needs useless headbutt
[5:00 PM] jBrereton: EA Kilrathia
[5:00 PM] jBrereton: Claw of the Tiger
[5:01 PM] nuclear monkey: useless headbutter checking in
[5:01 PM] jsoh: ah, so you got a vasectomy

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Going to have to work on something else for a while, but I consider the basic road principle to be proven:

A lot of refinement to be done in details, and in choosing provinces to be connected, but the rendering technique works.
nice!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Corbeau posted:

Bezier curves?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Speleothing posted:

[4:56 PM] samog: make a mod that buffs cats instead
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: game definitely lacks cats
[4:56 PM] jsoh: hun balum is already really strong
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: I was thinking about a mod nation that's just cats
[4:56 PM] Speleothing: every commander is a seducer
[4:57 PM] Decrepus: why do you find cats seductive
[4:57 PM] Speleothing: because if you don't agree to rub their heads, they kill you
[4:57 PM] Decrepus: o i c
[4:58 PM] Decrepus: every commander needs useless headbutt
[5:00 PM] jBrereton: EA Kilrathia
[5:00 PM] jBrereton: Claw of the Tiger
[5:01 PM] nuclear monkey: useless headbutter checking in
[5:01 PM] jsoh: ah, so you got a vasectomy

I thought bash.org was defunct?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Donkringel posted:

I thought bash.org was defunct?