Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Anything a cowboy would say is fine, I think. Hoss, pardner, slim, slick, cowpoke, buckaroo, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We're in BSS, why not "bub"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hobo Lobo was so beautiful while it lasted. There wasn't any warning, either. Just one month, which was normal. Then two, which wasn't unheard of. Then three. "Well maybe it's just a really big update. I'll come back in a month or two".

Several years later...

Oh. :smith:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

didn't Hobo Lobo kinda... end? I don't know why you'd expect more

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao welp

still gonna read the remainder of it at some point

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I miss Broodhollow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

HMS Beagle posted:

I miss Broodhollow.

I forgot about Broodhollow.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I know there was a sci-fi comic that had a focus on AR/VR that was sort of animated. Lot of clicking through panels and interactive elements. Updated slowly... anyone remember the title?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

John Allison has been listening to podcasts, everyone.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Hello friends, Blasphemous Saga Fantasy is seven years old as of this past Wednesday. It also just reached 700 pages, and I’m taking a break from it till January 16th, so if you haven’t read it yet, but enjoy fantasy adventure stories then now is the perfect time to give it a read. If you do already read it, I would love to hear your feedback if you have any since I’m always trying to make it better.

Either way, working on it for this long has been pretty much an entirely rewarding experience, all things considered. Whether or not you’re a reader of this particular comic, thank you, because without people reading webcomics, I wouldn’t have been something I even considered doing 7 years ago.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Nuns with Guns posted:

My webcomic is about a man who hates my webcomic

Ah, an autobiographical work.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Still lolling at El Goonish Shive for having a villain with a glimmer of intelligence.

For context: A bunch of vampire-monsters were hired to kill an elf-wizard in a shopping mall. Several just rampaged in their monster forms, died. One is trying fire magic and it's not working. The last one just strolled around a corner, still in human form, thought "You know what? Magic's all well and good but sometimes mankind just has what ya need" and whipped out a giant loving magnum and shot the elf while he's distracted by the fire vampire.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Still lolling at El Goonish Shive for having a villain with a glimmer of intelligence.

For context: A bunch of vampire-monsters were hired to kill an elf-wizard in a shopping mall. Several just rampaged in their monster forms, died. One is trying fire magic and it's not working. The last one just strolled around a corner, still in human form, thought "You know what? Magic's all well and good but sometimes mankind just has what ya need" and whipped out a giant loving magnum and shot the elf while he's distracted by the fire vampire.

Isn't that just literally Wizards by Ralph Bakshi.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That's kind of a risky bet depending on your setting. We just had a show last year that was basically "ww1 but with wizards" where their magic shielded them from bullets, artillery, you name it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

That's kind of a risky bet depending on your setting. We just had a show last year that was basically "ww1 but with wizards" where their magic shielded them from bullets, artillery, you name it

Well if you're a wizard and you go in the WW1 trenches, you'll prepare your "protection against ballistic weapons" spells that seems obvious. But if you're not expecting to get shot at, you won't have much time to react to a surprise bullet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think EGS takes place in the states though right? We got more guns here than people. What self respecting wizard wouldn't leave a spell slot open for that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

EGS wizards don't get to pick their spells. First they get a bunch of awkward spells based on their fetishes, then once they get past the awakening phase they can learn spells that other people know, but it's harder than just "there ought to be a spell to not get shot; let's cast that."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Then their wizards suck and deserve a bullet

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rand Brittain posted:

EGS wizards don't get to pick their spells. First they get a bunch of awkward spells based on their fetishes, then once they get past the awakening phase they can learn spells that other people know, but it's harder than just "there ought to be a spell to not get shot; let's cast that."

So you need to find another wizard whose fetish involves surviving getting shot, and then meet them to learn their spells?

That actually sounds doable in the age of the Internet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In an era where there are monthly swap meets for people who don't want to pay full price for skiis, you can find somebody to trade actual magical spells with.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

So you need to find another wizard whose fetish involves surviving getting shot, and then meet them to learn their spells?

I think once you've finished magical/actual puberty, you can randomly develop spells because they're useful to you, rather than just because they enable your sex fantasies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What if my fetish is being omnipotent

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You'd get spells that are too high level for a beginner to cast, so you could never become a wizard?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's part of the setting that magic has a mind of its own and will piss in your cornflakes just for fun.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This discussion is making me very glad I stopped reading EGS a long time ago.

I mean, spells derived from fetishes? The gently caress?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This seems to be a very TVtropes webcomic.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In the right hands, that could actually be a funny concept. Whether those hands belong to EGS is another matter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EGS kinda has exhaustive FAQ interludes to fully flesh out all the details of its weird worldbuilding. It really makes you wonder what Dan Shive could do if he tried making a comic not based on his high school fetishes.

Cat Mattress posted:

You'd get spells that are too high level for a beginner to cast, so you could never become a wizard?

I think that's Sarah's thing, her spells are way advanced, but they also require way more energy than she's supposed to have as a novice.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well technically that's not how it works in-world, characters just have some kind of aptitude for some spell or another, often based on their personality or whatever.

Just it all comes back into fetishes because being fetish-y and weird is baked into EGS's DNA. Never anything explicit, the comic's probably more PG than ever these days, but it's impossible to ignore once you notice.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 7, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, in theory it's more like "things you really want, often secretly"; it's the comic's general focus that means that what people secretly really want is things like "become a catgirl maid" or "turn into a really beefy version of myself."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wheres the real beefy catgirl maids

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Give him money on Patreon and I'm sure he'll draw one for you.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cat Mattress posted:

That’s actually a plot point explored in a side story, there’s a character that’s always kinda wanted to do cool magic poo poo like her friends but when she awakens and gets spells of her own it turns out the only reason she can even cast her spell is because there’s a shitload of ambient magic in the air where she lives. In any other circumstance she’d never be able to cast it period, but the story's established that magic has a flair for the dramatic, so...

Yvonmukluk posted:

This discussion is making me very glad I stopped reading EGS a long time ago.

The comic is weird and a few characters end up getting magic that pulls from their ~deepest desires~ (weird gender changing poo poo) but the way magic is handled is that it gives you exactly what your subconscious wants until you accept it and then you can start getting different stuff. So a couple characters that have weird gender issues get gender stuff at first, an insecure girl starts out with spells about scoping out her surroundings, etc

It’s still really hard to ignore once you notice it like someone mentioned already but like any insane pet project that probably should have been let go ages ago, egs is nothing if not consistent with its own insane rule system

E: I just realized I basically made the exact same post as SlothfulCobra lmao, whoops

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In case anyone was wondering why hark! a vagrant isn't v. active, Beaton's sister has gotten really, really sick. There's been some crowd funding on her end to try and pay for some more radical U.S. treatments.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Just read through all of Stand Still Stay Silent and wow, drat. How is this not listed in the All Stars section?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unfortunate nordic dumbassery

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

As someone who thinks Linton was severely underused in the past few story arc, I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing this pair try to work together. Now that I think about it, I don't remember if these two had significant interactions in the comics.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

In case anyone was wondering why hark! a vagrant isn't v. active, Beaton's sister has gotten really, really sick. There's been some crowd funding on her end to try and pay for some more radical U.S. treatments.

Here's the link if anyone's interested.

https://www.youcaring.com/beckybeaton-1008390

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

amigolupus posted:

As someone who thinks Linton was severely underused in the past few story arc, I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing this pair try to work together. Now that I think about it, I don't remember if these two had significant interactions in the comics.

I guess Jack & Sonny might have been pulled into the Go-Kart Conspiracy. Which makes sense, since Jack had his guitar & Sonny was producing him during the case of the Severed Alliance.

I think John Allison has said this arc is specifically focusing on characters that haven't had much focus lately. So I'm looking forward to Mildred & Linton's Excellent Adventure.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm down for anything that gives Linton a personality trait outside of being horny. His character has been drowning in hormones since, like, Case 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jackard posted:

Just read through all of Stand Still Stay Silent and wow, drat. How is this not listed in the All Stars section?

Beautiful artwork but too many of the characters are super-annoying?