Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

RCarr posted:

I just got Enter the Gungeon. I’ve put an hour or two into it. As far as I can tell it doesn’t have its own thread. Is there anything at all that ever carries over? Or is every run started fresh? I guess you’re just supposed to get better and the first few floors become trivial? Or am I missing something?

There are shops that you can unlock that will allow you to buy new weapons and items to add to the pool. Keep an eye out for rooms with jail cells. And you get credits that carry over from winning boss battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Bought Blossom Tales on Friday and played it over the weekend. I really like it! It's pretty cute. One complaint I have is that dungeons feel way too linear and don't let you do much exploring.

Thinking of getting The Next Penelope. How do people feel about it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
To add to that, while you start fresh each run, there are some tasks with requirements that you can meet over the course of multiple runs. For example, this or that NPC might ask for A, then B, then C, but you can give them all those items in that run, or just give A then fork over B and C in later runs.

But yeah other than unlocking more stuff to find in the dungeon itself, you start clean each time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Bought Blossom Tales on Friday and played it over the weekend. I really like it! It's pretty cute. One complaint I have is that dungeons feel way too linear and don't let you do much exploring.

I keep hearing about it and it seems mostly like a series of Zelda challenge rooms. Is that accurate? Still sounds fun, just want to know what in getting into.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
lol this thread

there will be no direct because after being the best selling console ever in the us market the switch is now doomed, why is this so hard to understand

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I keep hearing about it and it seems mostly like a series of Zelda challenge rooms. Is that accurate? Still sounds fun, just want to know what in getting into.

It's pretty much a copy of 2d Zelda yeah, but I would say not as challenging. I've yet to hit a room that tripped me up. The bosses are fun to fight and the music is great though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Argue posted:

To add to that, while you start fresh each run, there are some tasks with requirements that you can meet over the course of multiple runs. For example, this or that NPC might ask for A, then B, then C, but you can give them all those items in that run, or just give A then fork over B and C in later runs.

But yeah other than unlocking more stuff to find in the dungeon itself, you start clean each time.

Maybe you can answer this. I keep finding a completely enemy free room with a large fire place and a portrait. It’s a decent sized room with no items or enemies.

Is it just RNG or is there something to this room I’m not seeing?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Beastie posted:

Maybe you can answer this. I keep finding a completely enemy free room with a large fire place and a portrait. It’s a decent sized room with no items or enemies.

Is it just RNG or is there something to this room I’m not seeing?

find a water barrel from a nearby room and kick it around into the fire.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The GIG posted:

find a water barrel from a nearby room and kick it around into the fire.

You can also use a water based weapon if you manage to grab one that early on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Lobster posted:

That's a smile.

That's like an expression of surprise at best.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's like an expression of surprise at best.

even if he was a robot and needed to simulate surprise to pass a test that would barely be a 5/10

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/ParisHilton/status/949740324586508288?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Girl knows what what

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Bloop posted:

That's exactly it.

It's pretty much a copy of 2d Zelda yeah, but I would say not as challenging. I've yet to hit a room that tripped me up. The bosses are fun to fight and the music is great though.

...I can't speak to Zelda 1 or 2, but it seemed harder than I remember LTTP or LA being?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
At anyrate, the Wonderful 101 was an amazing title, absolutely top class and one of the best games of its generation, period. Wii U exclusive, and it even incorporated the Wii U's control scheme in a way that also allows it to NOT take use of the Wii U's control scheme and...uh...

Look, it's an amazing game. The animations, cutscenes, direction, translation, dubbing and of course the actual core combat gameplay, a refinement and perfection of every single thing Kamiya has done over his career, from Okami to Viewtiful Joe and a lot lot lot of Bayonetta. It is a game absolutely bursting with character, this sort of frantic and madcap game that they literally built by the seat of their pants, with an integral combat mechanic being implemented just three months before launch.

I loving love Wonderful 101. It is a true masterpiece, daring and creative and cohesive and fun. It will frustrate the Pure Platinum folks, since the gameplay modes change so often, but for a regular player, you're in for a roller coaster ride of varied and interesting content. I urge everyone who loves video games to play Wonderful 101.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At anyrate, the Wonderful 101 was an amazing title, absolutely top class and one of the best games of its generation, period. Wii U exclusive, and it even incorporated the Wii U's control scheme in a way that also allows it to NOT take use of the Wii U's control scheme and...uh...

Look, it's an amazing game. The animations, cutscenes, direction, translation, dubbing and of course the actual core combat gameplay, a refinement and perfection of every single thing Kamiya has done over his career, from Okami to Viewtiful Joe and a lot lot lot of Bayonetta. It is a game absolutely bursting with character, this sort of frantic and madcap game that they literally built by the seat of their pants, with an integral combat mechanic being implemented just three months before launch.

I loving love Wonderful 101. It is a true masterpiece, daring and creative and cohesive and fun. It will frustrate the Pure Platinum folks, since the gameplay modes change so often, but for a regular player, you're in for a roller coaster ride of varied and interesting content. I urge everyone who loves video games to play Wonderful 101.

Backing this up because it's completely correct.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I urge everyone who loves video games to play Wonderful 101.

I'm not buying a Wii U.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Yeah I was going to chime in about the bosses myself. As linear as the dungeons can be, the bosses always surprised me with their mechanics other than the usual Zelda “use the item you got in this dungeon” standard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

I got a Switch for Christmas, and got Super Mario Odyssey.

It's... Kind of a letdown from all the praise it gets?

The levels feel sort of needlessly large. Like the Sand Kingdom has this big temple but there's basically zero platforming involved so far...

Also the way you just kind of stumble onto piles of moons is sort of lame. It was an accomplishment to get a star in Galaxy, whereas moons are more like "oh I guess I needed those."

There are a lot of moons that are like "hey, you noticed this spot on the ground was shaped weird, good job!" and then there are a lot of moons that are like "you beat this difficult platforming challenge, good job!" There is a ton of excellent platforming in this game if you want it.

I will say most of the levels, especially in the first half of the game, don't really push you if you're just trying to get through to the credits.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It is frankly criminal that Bayonetta got its Switch port before W101, although I can understand a little bit because W101 did lean on the dual screens sometimes and I imagine a bit of reengineering might have been necessary to make those bits keep working. The PIP feature the game had seems an obvious way around that but I don't think it'd always work that well?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Matt Zerella posted:

Also McDs fries are still better than any other fast food fries.

I've found it, the wrongest post in the thread.

Burger King fries are better than McDonald's potato-flavored salt sticks and Arby's curly fries beat them both by a mile.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really tempted to pick up Splatoon 2 despite being one of the few Wii U owners who never bought the first one. Trying to resist because I'm juggling two games already and Monster Hunter World is coming in a little over two weeks, but it does look really fun.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm not buying a Wii U.

Than you're not playing Wonderful 101.

Weird how that works

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up Splatoon 2 despite being one of the few Wii U owners who never bought the first one. Trying to resist because I'm juggling two games already and Monster Hunter World is coming in a little over two weeks, but it does look really fun.

It is fun!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harrow posted:

It’s easily the best multiplayer shooter right now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

There are shops that you can unlock that will allow you to buy new weapons and items to add to the pool. Keep an eye out for rooms with jail cells. And you get credits that carry over from winning boss battles.

Yeah I’ve seen that, but you can’t actually start with a different weapon or item than the default for whatever character you choose, right? Buying/finding something only gives you a chance of finding it in a chest in a new run?

Like I got a passive ability to move faster and was pumped because I thought I’d be able to carry it over to my next run. But I guess that’s not the case.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s easily the best multiplayer shooter right now.

I'm terrible at it. And I am fairly decent at console shooters. The shooting/aiming just doesn't click for me.

I've tried with and without motion using the Pro controller. It's really keeping me from enjoying it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Burger King fries are better than McDonald's potato-flavored salt sticks
false

quote:

and Arby's curly fries beat them both by a mile.
true

But Rally’s is #1 forever

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Me, after playing botw in handheld mode for a few hours: that's hot

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

empathe posted:

I'm terrible at it. And I am fairly decent at console shooters. The shooting/aiming just doesn't click for me.

I've tried with and without motion using the Pro controller. It's really keeping me from enjoying it.

With motion turned off how is the aiming any different than any other shooter?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Asked the For The King devs if Switch is in it's future. They said all consoles were this year.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RCarr posted:

Yeah I’ve seen that, but you can’t actually start with a different weapon or item than the default for whatever character you choose, right? Buying/finding something only gives you a chance of finding it in a chest in a new run?

Like I got a passive ability to move faster and was pumped because I thought I’d be able to carry it over to my next run. But I guess that’s not the case.

Right. There are a couple secret characters with their own (powerful) unique starting weapons and abilities but basically everything you unlock just causes new stuff to appear in the Gungeon, it doesn't affect what you start with

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Achmed Jones posted:

false

true

But Rally’s is #1 forever

Rally's is no Checkers

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just found out there's a Checkers 10 minutes from me. If the Switch had streetpass functionality I'd totally take it with me.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey where's my house of the dead remaster with a plastic gun I can slide the right joycon onto

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Than you're not playing Wonderful 101.

Weird how that works

If Platinum wants my money, maybe they should do something about that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't wait to see what Nirtendo has in store for us!

I have one of their GBA carts

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pug Rodeo posted:

With motion turned off how is the aiming any different than any other shooter?

Splatoon doesn’t have auto aim like other console shooters so it can be unwieldy without using motion.

It does take some effort for motion to click, it did for me, but once you get it down all other duel stick shooters feel sluggish and almost unplayable in comparison.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Manky posted:

Hey where's my house of the dead remaster with a plastic gun I can slide the right joycon onto

You misspelled Point Blank

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I assume she means on her phone like Mario Run and Animal Crossing. I'm surprised she didn't just pay to have one made with her likeness in it and rake in the dough. Though I guess she doesn't have the Kardashian and Taylor Swift level of draw anymore.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've found it, the wrongest post in the thread.

Burger King fries are better than McDonald's potato-flavored salt sticks and Arby's curly fries beat them both by a mile.

Burger King did have better fries, but then they changed them and they have been awful poo poo ever since. I remember it was around the time that movie Small Soldiers came out, so according to imdb, BK fries have sucked since 1998.

If we are going straight national chain fast food only, it is McDs or Wendys. If you include regional, than I'd say In N Out. I would say Five Guys is better than the rest, but since they don't do drive thru's, I'll count them as more of a sit down joint and not straight up "fast food".

I enjoy the one or two curly fries that accidentally get mixed in normal fries, but any more than that is just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just finished Shantae. It was good! Hardcore took 7 and a half hours. Does anyone have the DLC? If so did you like it?

• Locked thread