Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dias posted:

is the plot of the splatoon the endless war between squid and octopus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That was a sick skip :o

I like how the developers were the ones who showed the Speedrunners that skip. That's pretty great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

is that a game theory? :thumbsup:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Woomy!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Would you rather #ENDECCHI or #REMOVEMOE. Both would have net positive effects on the quality of Chinese Cartoons. I personally am convinced that moe is more detrimental to the overall quality of japanimation than ecchi. What are you guys' opinions?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
speed run of spaltoon huh

gonna beat that before the ink dries

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

a.lo posted:

what's that got to do with ketchup or mayonnaise

Occasionally, competitions called Splatfests are run where two things that are similar are pitted against each other and you can join a team and fight against the other. Whichever team is popular and wins the most in solo and team queues wins.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Would you rather #ENDECCHI or #REMOVEMOE. Both would have net positive effects on the quality of Chinese Cartoons. I personally am convinced that moe is more detrimental to the overall quality of japanimation than ecchi. What are you guys' opinions?

keep both OP

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

grand theft grotto posted:

Sort of I think it's implied somewhere that most of the octolings aren't even aware of the war and it's just some small faction still obsessed with the idea.

so it's two groups of extremists fighting a stupid conflict and causing collateral damage huh

checks out

how does it tie in to zelda

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Woomy.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm not the OP anymore.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

In the first place moe is just a term fans tossed out as a descriptor of characters they like. Of course over the years its meaning has been twisted and these days it means "stuff I don't like" to a lot of people.

For a better understanding, consult this chart

Is moe a passing trend? Not at all. Behold, Exhibit A. It's been a big part of anime since the very beginning.

What's the appeal of moe? Pretty simple: who wants to watch a show about ugly people? Shallow, I know, but admit it: everyone is on some level.

Most so called "moe" shows are meant to be easy watching. It won't make you think about serious topics, won't change your world view or whatever, but it keeps you feeling good 20 minutes at a time. I think that's a great goal to strive for.

That said, moe and 'serious storytelling' aren't mutually exclusive. Look at Higurashi or Madoka. All the girls are cutesy and 'waifu' material but the plots aren't so simple.

No matter how many moe shows are made, 'serious' show keep coming out. I enjoy both types of shows so it's all positives for me. My only issue is with all the negativity dished out by the people who hate moe. If you don't like it, fine, but is it really necessary to go out of your way and let everyone know how it's the cancer killing anime, that all these shows are garbage and that anyone who likes them are pathetic otaku trash with no social lives?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Can I nobly sacrifice myself to stop both?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

No matter how many moe shows are made, 'serious' show keep coming out. I enjoy both types of shows so it's all positives for me. My only issue is with all the negativity dished out by the people who hate moe. If you don't like it, fine, but is it really necessary to go out of your way and let everyone know how it's the cancer killing anime, that all these shows are garbage and that anyone who likes them are pathetic otaku trash with no social lives?

yes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dias posted:

checks out

Octorocks evolve into octolings.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I could argue that Macchiavelli was tsundere for Republican government or something to that effect. There's little new in the world. I've heard that people call Lum Invader from Urusei Yatsura the first tsundere, but that doesn't matter. What matters is when creators started to see a "mass" appeal in the archetype. When that happens there is less inclination to explain what is behind the tsundereness and characters increasingly start to lack substance.

We can problematize "moe" the same way. I would describe moe as a trend that intentionally uses neoteny and childish behaviour in characters to increase their appeal. And again, the more creators realize that simple hooks can influence people, the less they're inclined to give characters and storyline some substance.

Of course this is nothing unique for anime. Relentless copying to the point that there's no substance left is one of the basic ideas in postmodern critique of pop culture in general. Miyazaki is correct at least in some aspects - you can't make something good if all you're watching is copies of copies.

I'm not sure it has ended. We had White Album 2 and Little Busters last season, there's going to be an adaptation of Grisaia no Kajitsu and a new F/SN this year. The major ones like Little Busters and Stein's Gate are still hits. A number of others have been adapted in the last couple of years. It's just that vn market ha declined and is extremely oversaturated and even top vs companies can't sell as many units as 10-15 years ago. I'd say that instead of ever being a trend adapting vns is now seen as an ordinary part of anime industry.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

But where does Mario Maker fit into the timeline?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
quoth the raven: never moe

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The only anime that matters is The Golden Girls

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was a fan of "moe" before the term caught on. My favourite "classic" anime tend to be anime resembling modern moe anime. Anime such as Dr. Slump, Akazukin ChaCha, Sailor Moon, and so forth.

I think that machismo is totally gross. And in fact, probably the only reason I fell so much in love with anime, is because of how moe it is. I am perhaps far more of a moe fan, than an anime fan. For instance, I would much rather watch a Western "moe" show, like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, or Ruby Gloom, than a dark and gritty Japanese anime. I like girly anime, and moe anime is girly.

I'm not fond of harem or ecchi anime. But "moe", and harem and ecchi, are totally different things. Not to say that don't ever happen together, but moe shouldn't be stereotyped as a moe or ecchi thing. Also, if people don't like harem or ecchi anime, they should criticize those genres, rather than moe.

Moe is essentially a microcosm of the much larger "kawaii culture" or cute culture that many speak of, when talking about modern, Japanese pop culture. Within the anime, otaku, and specifically bishoujo fandom. Moe is an offshoot of the bishoujo fandom that has become much more. Any of the problems people associate with "moe", existed long before moe arose as a phenomenon within the anime industry.

Most of the problems people claim moe have, are also completely misinformed about moe. Though there certainly are some offensively done moe characters. Not that there weren't also many poor portrayals of female characters for the exact same reasons as today, before moe surfaced.

For instance, the character Asahine Mikuru totally offends me, especially since she's older than she acts. She's a complete doormat character who is submissive to all of Haruhi's wishes, and seems complete weak in ways that are simply painful for me to experience. I don't like her character. Nor do I like her dynamic with other characters, Haruhi's sexual harassment of her, and Kyon's attraction to her. Nagato Yuki is, in my opinion, a far more moe and interesting character.

She is a far more moe and far less weak character than Mikuru. Characters like Mikuru I would like to see less of.

Out of all character archetypes, I prefer boisterous and passionate female characters, to be honest. But those characters are certainly no less moe than characters like Mikuru. Also, I think that the entire "Yamato Nadeshiko" thing is gross.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh carp.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Dias posted:

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Why are they jumping into teapots? If you were essentially liquid that seems like the worst place you could possibly be.

edit: Samurai is a great example of why you don't skip leg day.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

grand theft grotto posted:

The only anime that matters is The Golden Girls

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
okay my hot take is this new stream ui sucks

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Yay! The dance party has been met! Let's get Fresh!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

I was a fan of "moe" before the term caught on. My favourite "classic" anime tend to be anime resembling modern moe anime. Anime such as Dr. Slump, Akazukin ChaCha, Sailor Moon, and so forth.

I think that machismo is totally gross. And in fact, probably the only reason I fell so much in love with anime, is because of how moe it is. I am perhaps far more of a moe fan, than an anime fan. For instance, I would much rather watch a Western "moe" show, like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, or Ruby Gloom, than a dark and gritty Japanese anime. I like girly anime, and moe anime is girly.

I'm not fond of harem or ecchi anime. But "moe", and harem and ecchi, are totally different things. Not to say that don't ever happen together, but moe shouldn't be stereotyped as a moe or ecchi thing. Also, if people don't like harem or ecchi anime, they should criticize those genres, rather than moe.

Moe is essentially a microcosm of the much larger "kawaii culture" or cute culture that many speak of, when talking about modern, Japanese pop culture. Within the anime, otaku, and specifically bishoujo fandom. Moe is an offshoot of the bishoujo fandom that has become much more. Any of the problems people associate with "moe", existed long before moe arose as a phenomenon within the anime industry.

Most of the problems people claim moe have, are also completely misinformed about moe. Though there certainly are some offensively done moe characters. Not that there weren't also many poor portrayals of female characters for the exact same reasons as today, before moe surfaced.

For instance, the character Asahine Mikuru totally offends me, especially since she's older than she acts. She's a complete doormat character who is submissive to all of Haruhi's wishes, and seems complete weak in ways that are simply painful for me to experience. I don't like her character. Nor do I like her dynamic with other characters, Haruhi's sexual harassment of her, and Kyon's attraction to her. Nagato Yuki is, in my opinion, a far more moe and interesting character.

She is a far more moe and far less weak character than Mikuru. Characters like Mikuru I would like to see less of.

Out of all character archetypes, I prefer boisterous and passionate female characters, to be honest. But those characters are certainly no less moe than characters like Mikuru. Also, I think that the entire "Yamato Nadeshiko" thing is gross.

you gotta be squidding me

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Why would you dis my spaceship like this

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hell yeah, the dance party is ON!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

lol

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Kurt Eichenwald's was greatest self-own of 2K17, a year full of amazing self-owns.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Dias posted:

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

The in-game layout isn't the worst but the break layout is hard to follow

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Hell yeah, the dance party is ON!

:confuoot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

so it's two groups of extremists fighting a stupid conflict and causing collateral damage huh

checks out

Not sure but Link and Samus both appear in Mario RPG, so its canon that they are a shared universe IMHO

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

Not sure but Link and Samus both appear in Mario RPG, so its canon that they are a shared universe IMHO

isn't there a final fantasy character as well?

the plot thickens

• Locked thread