Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I also got shoes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Link to that system? I’ve been looking for a wireless system for our projector.

Sure, it's the Vizio SB3651-E6. I'm Canadian so I don't know how widely available it is stateside, but up here is pretty rare.

Also a note on how wireless it is; the sub is entirely wireless from the bar, so you only have to plug it in for power. But the satellite speakers do need to plug into the sub. So you won't have to deal with speaker wires running across the room, but you'll still need to deal with that.

Bad on the reviews I've read, it's one of the better sound bar solutions out there; but most of them still doesn't match an honest to god 5.1 home theatre system with discrete speakers. So keep that in mind when considering it. I went with it because I can't afford a decent home theatre (and this system cost about as much as a good reciever for me), plus I live in a apartment so anything more than a soundbar is overkill.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a similar Vizio soundbar/sub/satellite set up, and I will say one of the biggest annoyances is that I can't independently control the subwoofer's amperage (or whatever you would call it); so if I'm watching a movie that has quiet moments and loud moments, I have to constantly turn the volume up and down to avoid having my whole house shake. So, like, maybe buy a model that allows you to do that, cause it is loving annoying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rockcity posted:

Ribeye is so good done sous vide. I have 8 filet mignon steaks bagged up with truffle and Cabernet salts and herbs right now waiting for the puddle later today. Also doing take two on liquid nitrogen dessert fuckery.
I'd like to attempt a sous vide ribeye tonight, but this temperature chart has such a huge range for medium rare: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

I have an instant thermometer so my plan is just to use a large pot on my stove and check the temp every so often.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Finally came upon a Mini DV camera while out thrifting, Panasonic PV-G83. Still works! I have a new battery and a 3-pack of tapes on the way. Now I just need to figure out a workaround so I can get the footage onto my computer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally came upon a Mini DV camera while out thrifting, Panasonic PV-G83. Still works! I have a new battery and a 3-pack of tapes on the way. Now I just need to figure out a workaround so I can get the footage onto my computer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dewgy posted:

Re: Sous vide and good safety, this article is fantastic and has a time/temp chart that I use pretty often.

https://www.foodsafetymagazine.com/magazine-archive1/februarymarch-2004/the-danger-zone-reevaluated/

tl,dr: FDA safe means a one in ten million survival rate for food borne pathogens. Apart from a couple of laboratory strains, they start to die off slowly at about 125 degrees F. (Lab grade botulism I think survives up to 130, but thats not something youd really find in food off the shelf.)

At 165 degrees, you kill off that many bacteria in under a second. You can go as low as 125 and have perfectly safe food, but the rate is exponential, so a 125 degree steak takes about seven hours to be as sterile as one cooked to 165.

Bonus: This also means you can sterilize some things without actually cooking them, like eggs for safe raw cookie dough! :science:

See this is a big reason Im loving mine. Right away I started thinking of it as a kick rear end robot that slow cooks food for me. The food science aspect is addicting. It feels very futuristic to use even if theres not anything that crazy going on. You still have to prepare and sear the food after so it maintains the satisfying human involvement. And now that I say that I realize how the singularity will function if it goes in our favor :awesomelon:

For real though the local Winn-Dixie has the absolutely best Steelhead Trout Ive ever had. Very soon I will try it as my first sous vide fish. Im expecting my tiny little reality to blow the gently caress up.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Two bags of coffee from this awesome company. Best affordable coffee I ever got the chance to taste. 14$ for 12oz is a great deal

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you need further convincing

24 hour chuck tender. Probably needed 48 total but still drat good. Seared before, 10 min roast afterwards for the herb crust.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I picked up a giant set of vintage E.O. Richter & Co drafting tools for $45.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Oneiros posted:

There's a whole thread about sous vide in GWS! Two popular immersion circulator models are the Anova and the Joule. The Anova is larger and noisier but can be operated stand-alone (no smart phone or app required). The Joule is the iPhone of sous vide and is remarkably tiny and quiet (at least with the water output port submerged) but requires a companion app to function.

Thank you so much. That Anova is like $113 right now. That sounds bad rear end.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Went backpacking this weekend, and the temps dipped down to -18 with the wind chill. So I figured it was time I finally shelled out for a proper Alaskan parka from Wiggy's:

With the L-8 lamilite insulation, should be comfortable at -20.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

umalt posted:

And to listen to podcasts in my living room actually hear what's going on in movies. But it has built in chromecast too, so I guess I can listen to podcasts while I'm cleaning or something. This was bought on the 26th too, and delivered today as well. But it was sent to my (costco membership owning) brother's house, so I'm not actually recieving it until Sunday.

Just finally used it some last night and a little bit today. I can easily say that it meet my expectations, and that it's definitely no replacement for a 5.1 home theatre. Its plenty loud for my living room, and sounds way better than my TV's speakers. But I can't say how it sounds at a decent volume, since I was mostly testing it late at night with Star Wars and Bob's Burgers. But at low volumes it is far more intelligible than TV, and the night mode works well at cutting off the most peircing treble and rumbly bass. But doesn't make it so that you can crank it while your wife sleeps in the next room.

Set-up for the soundbar itself was easy enough, though cable management is necessary unless you want extra feet of wires dangling about. Getting HDMI-ARC was a pain, but that was more of a design issue with my TV than anything else.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Went backpacking this weekend, and the temps dipped down to -18 with the wind chill. So I figured it was time I finally shelled out for a proper Alaskan parka from Wiggy's:

With the L-8 lamilite insulation, should be comfortable at -20.
Down or bust!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you really tie your shoes like that

This is how oxford shoes should be laced hth

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cakefarts Carol posted:

This is how oxford shoes should be laced hth

The way it's tied is absolutely useless. Bar lacing sucks.

Also the one in the picture is done "for show" only at shoe stores and isn't really functional IMO, which is why I was asking if he really tied his shoes that way.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Sold and donated some shoes and stuff finally, so I decided to treat myself

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Also got some shoes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The way it's tied is absolutely useless. Bar lacing sucks.

Also the one in the picture is done "for show" only at shoe stores and isn't really functional IMO, which is why I was asking if he really tied his shoes that way.
How do you recommend tying dress shoes?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you recommend tying dress shoes?

The same way as any shoes, so that normal people don't think you're a sociopath.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

Two bags of coffee from this awesome company. Best affordable coffee I ever got the chance to taste. 14$ for 12oz is a great deal

I too bought some coffe and also a scale for brew over because I'm going all-in with being a coffee hipster.

Brewista smart scale V2

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Helios Grime posted:

I too bought some coffe and also a scale for brew over because I'm going all-in with being a coffee hipster

Same here. It's a pretty fun and cheapish hobby if you stay away from espresso.

Finding a spot/time to hand grind and brew your coffee at work when there is no one around so people aren't looking at you like you're some kind of insane person is also an interesting side effect!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I got a Google Home Max because I refuse to spend my holiday bonus wisely.

It's LOUD AS HELL. I accidentally maxed the volume while playing around with it and a neighbor knocked on my door to make sure everything was OK.

Anyway, it's overpriced and heavy and extremely loud and it owns.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want one. I'll grab it when Google discontinues it 6 months from now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

Down or bust!

Down is great because it's ultra light and compressible, but it collapses and fails if it gets wet, which I've had happen on a mid layer puffy just from perspiration.

The synthetic lamilite they've developed is much better suited for garments. It's slightly heavier per insulating ounce, and not as compressible as down, but I don't care about either of those for a deep winter jacket. Where lamilite outperforms down is that it doesn't fail when it gets wet, and the fibers are anti-static so it always regains its loft, even after being compressed. Plus the insulating material is one continuous sheet, so it doesn't have cold spots where baffles are sewn together.

I've had the Wiggy's sweater as my main winter jacket for years now, and it's just incredible, it's like wearing a sleeping bag.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

But doesn't make it so that you can crank it while your wife sleeps in the next room.

Oh man, this one time she got up to pee and caught me, she made fun of me for like a week about it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

OSU_Matthew posted:

Down is great because it's ultra light and compressible, but it collapses and fails if it gets wet, which I've had happen on a mid layer puffy just from perspiration.

The synthetic lamilite they've developed is much better suited for garments. It's slightly heavier per insulating ounce, and not as compressible as down, but I don't care about either of those for a deep winter jacket. Where lamilite outperforms down is that it doesn't fail when it gets wet, and the fibers are anti-static so it always regains its loft, even after being compressed. Plus the insulating material is one continuous sheet, so it doesn't have cold spots where baffles are sewn together.

I've had the Wiggy's sweater as my main winter jacket for years now, and it's just incredible, it's like wearing a sleeping bag.

It just depends on what you're going to do with it.

If you're being really active, synthetic is best.

If you're being inactive a lot, down is champ.

A huge down parka is the best thing I ever bought for canadian winters, but it's not what I would choose to go snowshoeing uphill for hours.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ehh not exactly. If you have one of those insane CANADA GOOSE jackets yeah you don't really want to go being active in that for long, you'll overheat. If you layer with a lighter down over a thermal top it's fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just tie a Canada goose around yourself and if you get too warm let it go. Layering, Manitoba style! :canada:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Bonus: This also means you can sterilize some things without actually cooking them, like eggs for safe raw cookie dough! :science:

The availability of (really expensive) in-shell pasteurized eggs is great for this if you have anyone who has a weakened immune system or is otherwise high risk. (Children, elderly, pregnant, otherwise in a state where salmonella poisoning would be double plus ungood rather than just a generally lovely weekend.) Thankfully we currently don't have room for two Yet Another Kitchen Gadget's or we would likely own one by now. What do you use for bagging in case the 1 click order button gets the best of me?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mu Zeta posted:

I want one. I'll grab it when Google discontinues it 6 months from now.

Too bad they never drop the price when they do that.

I want them too but I've already got three google homes in my one bedroom condo since they hand them out like candy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

H110Hawk posted:

The availability of (really expensive) in-shell pasteurized eggs is great for this if you have anyone who has a weakened immune system or is otherwise high risk. (Children, elderly, pregnant, otherwise in a state where salmonella poisoning would be double plus ungood rather than just a generally lovely weekend.) Thankfully we currently don't have room for two Yet Another Kitchen Gadget's or we would likely own one by now. What do you use for bagging in case the 1 click order button gets the best of me?

I just use Ziplocks. They are BPA free, but there are other poisons in plastic you might be wary of. You can cook stuff in mason jars, too, but it's a major headache and changes a lot of the heat profiles.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

H110Hawk posted:

Ziplocs work fine to start, but a proper vacuum sealer is better.

I started with a seal-a-meal that I got new for about $30, which is about the best cost to quality ratio you could ask for in a new vacuum sealer, but you can do even better being vigilant at thrift stores. Got a decent FoodSaver that way for $5 which was a solid upgrade, then an even better one that locks and has a seal-only button for $8 a few months later. I think they end up getting given away a lot since apart from sous vide there isnt a ton of stuff theyre legitimately useful for.

Bag rolls are cheap enough, I think I paid $20 for 4 12x50 rolls on Amazon, and they last for a real good long time.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Dewgy posted:

Ziplocs work fine to start, but a proper vacuum sealer is better.

I have a vac sealer, but I still use ziplocs for delicate/soft stuff like burgers and fish. Whenever I vac seal a burger, it compresses too much and gets a really dense texture.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I really need someone to take my credit card away, I just spent $16 on a fisheye lens for this:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argyle posted:

I have a vac sealer, but I still use ziplocs for delicate/soft stuff like burgers and fish. Whenever I vac seal a burger, it compresses too much and gets a really dense texture.

I just hit the seal button early. Still better than a ziploc in terms of vacuum and seal but without squishing. I cover a chamber unit though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

The same way as any shoes, so that normal people don't think you're a sociopath.
It corrugates your shoes though :(

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Nice little score for five bucks at the local swap meet

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Argyle posted:

I freeze my burgers first then vacuum seal them. Still decent texture for us that way, so maybe that might be something to try ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Nice little score for five bucks at the local swap meet

I hope you enjoy your flieger filth :mad:

(j/k I would totally wear that... maybe)