Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

tbf that's a good animation. in the top 10 bioware animations, easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

psychoJ posted:

tbf that's a good animation. in the top 10 bioware animations, easy

that's not saying a lot when Bioware has only made ten animations across all their 3D games

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is anachronox a wrpg? That was fun

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The best Western RPGs are Diablo and its various progeny, because they are at least about the gameplay rather than trying to find the least offensive package to stuff a "video game writing"-quality narrative into.

Sounds like you’re describing JRPGs :smug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe all RPGs are terrible?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe they're good but not generally your thing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mass effect 2 is a fun shooter

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Last of Us > Uncharted: Lost Legacy > UC4 > UC2 > UC3 > UC1

imho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe all RPGs are terrible?

I do think "grinding on too-easy encounters in order to make later encounters easier" is about as close to an inherently bad mechanic as it's possible to get. Which is to say, it's not actually inherently bad, some rare games use it well, make it part of a larger risk-reward and resource-conserving system, but it's a very large risk of creating degenerate gameplay in exchange for a benefit that, if all goes well, you won't even notice.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

precision posted:

The Last of Us > Uncharted: Lost Legacy > UC4 > UC2 > UC3 > UC1

imho

Yea, Naughty Dog is basically the Western SquareEnix, they've made great additions to the JRPG world.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
every naughty dog game

has intensely bored me

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never really felt like grinding was ever necessary in an RPG I played and people treating it as ubiquitous is always odd to me, esp since plenty of them scale xp one way or the other. If anything I've played more that let you rocket past the curve for zero active effort (FFXV, P5).

e: Though in P5 after a point they toss out 90% of why xp would matter.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 8, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

every naughty dog game

has intensely bored me

Jak and Daxter 1 is cool but that was their last good game

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I do think "grinding on too-easy encounters in order to make later encounters easier" is about as close to an inherently bad mechanic as it's possible to get. Which is to say, it's not actually inherently bad, some rare games use it well, make it part of a larger risk-reward and resource-conserving system, but it's a very large risk of creating degenerate gameplay in exchange for a benefit that, if all goes well, you won't even notice.

Lisa was neat in that grinding was actively discouraged, since everywhere except for like 2-3 games the encounters were set, with no random battles.

Expect My Mom posted:

every naughty dog game

has intensely bored me

I really don't like Uncharted/TLOU. Moreso with TLOU but it has the same sort of thing where people fawn over how artistic and deep it is, when it's really not.

Lisa (yeah I like that game a lot, okay?) was basically the exact same story as TLOU but was told in an infinitely more interesting way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think random battles are my least favourite thing in games

My favourite thing in games is seeing a choice I made in dialogue come up again later

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

have you played any notable jrpgs released since the ps1, because jrpgs have been phasing out grinding since the ps2 and lots of old wrpgs don't even make grinding a viable option for gaining experience

i'm not even trying to do like, a sarcastic own, i cannot think of any big jrpgs i've played released around the ps3 era where grinding was even valuable enough to be worth doing. it only exists in games that don't know how to balance their difficulty and big jrpgs worked that stuff out a long time ago

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cuntellectual posted:

TLOU but it has the same sort of thing where people fawn over how artistic and deep it is, when it's really not.

what if i think it's just an incredibly fun game to play?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I think random battles are my least favourite thing in games

My favourite thing in games is seeing a choice I made in dialogue come up again later

I don't think anyone LIKES random battles. They're just there to pad out the game, and so few JRPGs require any thought or skill to play.

Earthbound is easily the best example of random encounters, though. If they're too weak, you win them instantly. Even if they're not, you can try avoiding them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grinding only exists in MMORPGs now, where it takes up roughly 65% of your playtime

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jay Rust posted:

Grinding only exists in MMORPGs now, where it takes up roughly 65% of your playtime

The Souls series has plenty of it too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't think anyone LIKES random battles. They're just there to pad out the game, and so few JRPGs require any thought or skill to play.

Earthbound is easily the best example of random encounters, though. If they're too weak, you win them instantly. Even if they're not, you can try avoiding them.

earthbound isn't really random encounters, enemy markers on the overworld and in dungeons is kind of just what jrpgs have totally shifted to. the only thing about earthbound that makes its encounters random is that it sometimes makes one of them charge into you at max speed

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

precision posted:

what if i think it's just an incredibly fun game to play?

That's fine, just like it's fine if you only liked it for the story. But I will also disagree with you there, I don't think either game is very fun. (Bioshock infinite is reasonably fun but it didn't blow me away).

Jay Rust posted:

Depends on what you mean. In the MMO sense it referred to Everquest style "Just kill monsters over and over" style of leveling up, where basically every MMO that hasn't died (or at least mostly died) you can do quests and stuff. If you mean repeating trade skills or whatever, yeah, that's true.

Also it definitely exists in other things, it's just more a question of how much it's required. I spent hours grinding Fire Emblem Awakening and don't regret it at all, since it was in service of unlocking all the support conversations and making my team as absurdly overpowered as I could.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive done grinding in a lot of JRPGs but its because I generally try to do postgame superbosses where the encounter is solved before it even starts by whether or not youve prepared adequately.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

have you played any notable jrpgs released since the ps1, because jrpgs have been phasing out grinding since the ps2 and lots of old wrpgs don't even make grinding a viable option for gaining experience

i'm not even trying to do like, a sarcastic own, i cannot think of any big jrpgs i've played released around the ps3 era where grinding was even valuable enough to be worth doing. it only exists in games that don't know how to balance their difficulty and big jrpgs worked that stuff out a long time ago

I played Nier: Automata.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also honestly I probably got off on the wrong foot talking about "grinding" because that's much too narrow, it's more the concept of XP and potentially encountering the same content at different levels of power at all. Why not cut out the middle-man and either expect your players to rise to the challenge, or if they need the difficulty adjusted, make it available explicitly as adjustable difficulty?

There are good answers to this question but there are fewer of them than there are RPGs.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 8, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like to grind because I like seeing numbers get bigger and also the very act of random battles has its roots in gambling and that soothes a vice i haven't fully developed yet so i dont buy more lootboxes or whatever and then its a problem

In Training posted:

Jak and Daxter 1 is cool but that was their last good game
i haven't played so I shall suspend my judgement, but this is def a sword of damocles over them now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I played Nier: Automata.

then i dunno what to say cause i haven't played that game cause it would melt my computer

i've played every tales game released in the last few years and grinding has not been a thing in those, it hasn't really been a thing in any of the trails games, and it hasn't been a thing in the ps2 jrpgs that stick out to me like shadow hearts 2, is what i'm saying. jrpgs have gotten very lenient about xp curves over time, and it's mainly crappy post-game stuff or snes-era stuff that demands grinding. like tales of berseria has a lot of bosses at the end who are super high level on the higher difficulties and it'll give you achievements for maxing out your levels, but also it gives you new game + stuff to accelerate it and it's not really something you need to bother with at all outside of that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 8, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

The Nep games are about the only ones I can think of where I've had to actually grind (which is why they just give you a massive experience boost unlock), and I think in that case it's a combination of that being them not really caring and also it kind of being a joke because there is no one on this earth who thinks the scaling in those games makes any kind of sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
random encounters only bother me when they take a long time, either because of loading screens or animations or whatever. don't waste my fuckin' time here!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

then i dunno what to say cause i haven't played that game cause it would melt my computer

i've played every tales game released in the last few years and grinding has not been a thing in those, it hasn't really been a thing in any of the trails games, and it hasn't been a thing in the ps2 jrpgs that stick out to me like shadow hearts 2, is what i'm saying. jrpgs have gotten very lenient about xp curves over time, and it's mainly crappy post-game stuff or snes-era stuff that demands grinding. like tales of berseria has a lot of bosses at the end who are super high level on the higher difficulties and it'll give you achievements for maxing out your levels, but also it gives you new game + stuff to accelerate it and it's not really something you need to bother with at all outside of that

the flip side of "you have to grind and it's boring to do that" is "by just doing any of the optional content at all you've already flattened the difficulty of stuff that might otherwise have been challenging later on"

there's a happy medium of course and most games will only be a little towards either extreme but again, the question is why have it at all? why not just fine-tune the difficulty of each encounter in the game? why not either set a fixed hurdle for people to come at and succeed or fail, or else give the player total agency over their experience?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Motto posted:

I've never really felt like grinding was ever necessary in an RPG I played and people treating it as ubiquitous is always odd to me, esp since plenty of them scale xp one way or the other. If anything I've played more that let you rocket past the curve for zero active effort (FFXV, P5).

e: Though in P5 after a point they toss out 90% of why xp would matter.

Stop fighting monsters and try to rush through the games and you'll hit walls and need to grind, i prefer to do all the fighting i have to do at once than deal with the constant interruptions

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Enemy levels scaling to your own in FF8 was kind of a new thing at the time right? Was pretty cool anyways, although you just ended up grinding in a different way by drawing spells.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh sure. I don’t think I’ve personally ground for souls but I have ground for items, which is pretty anti-fun too.

Random drops are weird, because either you don’t know about the specifics and a rare drop is a pleasant surprise, or you know the item you want and where to get it and have to spend an hour or more trying to farm for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played about an hour of little nightmares. Thought it was gonna be more survival horror that puzzle platformer so im kinda bummed but its so pretty ill hang with it

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Eh? I’m about 35 hours into DS3 and I’ve never had to grind to get past a boss, it’s always been about playing smarter and better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the flip side of "you have to grind and it's boring to do that" is "by just doing any of the optional content at all you've already flattened the difficulty of stuff that might otherwise have been challenging later on"

there's a happy medium of course and most games will only be a little towards either extreme but again, the question is why have it at all? why not just fine-tune the difficulty of each encounter in the game? why not either set a fixed hurdle for people to come at and succeed or fail, or else give the player total agency over their experience?

because levels are an easy way to contextualize your party getting stronger over the course of the game and why you keep gaining new abilities and taking stats in general out would effectively make it a different game??? there are a lot of things a lot of jrpgs could do better but taking out levels and trying to think of an entirely new way to handle progression that no other game is attempting would be an enormous headache

saga doesn't have levels, it just contextualizes people getting stronger in a totally different way, and it owns, but it's also loving impenetrable

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad a les miserables fighting game exists but I wish there was a fiddler on the roof fighting game too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad a les miserables fighting game exists but I wish there was a fiddler on the roof fighting game too
be the fightgame u wish to see in the world

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

because levels are an easy way to contextualize your party getting stronger over the course of the game and why you keep gaining new abilities and taking stats in general out would effectively make it a different game??? there are a lot of things a lot of jrpgs could do better but taking out levels and trying to think of an entirely new way to handle progression that no other game is attempting would be an enormous headache

saga doesn't have levels, it just contextualizes people getting stronger in a totally different way, and it owns, but it's also loving impenetrable

it's not something that no other game is attempting, though

in fact it's the default for everything that isn't an RPG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's not something that no other game is attempting, though

in fact it's the default for everything that isn't an RPG!

did you skip over the part where i said that would effectively make it a different genre

• Locked thread