Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

face i'd rather have a fingerprint scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
nothing quite disappointing like a hip hop show where the dj is a macbook

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i dropped my touchbar macbook and now its dead

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
rip everyone's macbooks. stay safe out there :ohdear:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mad Wack posted:

good

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

what did you expect?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I hope they release a laptop that isn't a flimsy overpriced piece of poo poo soon because it feels like my 2010 macbook pro is on its last legs, even after resurrecting the GPU and replacing the thermal paste

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

r u ready to WALK posted:

I hope they release a laptop that isn't a flimsy overpriced piece of poo poo soon
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLQ2LL/A&step=config

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my work laptop, both needs suiting and solid 👍

however it cant be used for cutting cake so be careful in the lunch room

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

http://www.sixthtone.com/news/1001509/foreign-brands-have-princess-syndrome%2C-says-peoples-daily

International brands are often put on a pedestal in China, but a state media commentator has accused them of having “princess syndrome” — a barb often directed at narcissistic, materialistic women.

In a vitriolic commentary in Party newspaper People’s Daily, staff writer Zhou Shanshan said global brands neglect the needs of the Chinese market and fall short on customer service. “The blind pursuit of foreign brands is a thing of the past,” she wrote on Friday. “Some popular foreign brands should cure their princess syndrome, or the divas are bound to lose the market.”

Zhou specifically took aim at Apple, alleging that the U.S. tech behemoth provided poor after-sales service and had not been responsive enough to the iPhone’s battery-related problems. In November 2016, Chinese customers complained that their phones — mainly the iPhone 6 and 6s models — were shutting down abruptly despite showing sufficient battery levels. It wasn’t until last month that the company announced it would replace the batteries at a lower cost.

Apple’s revenue in China has seen a sharp decline in recent years. Though figures from the third quarter of 2017 suggested that the brand could be bouncing back, according to technology market analyst firm Canalys, the growth is only temporary. Domestic brands like Huawei and Xiaomi are presenting stiff competition, and the iPhone series has been toppled from its throne as the country’s most popular cellular device.

According to a new study from global market research firm Nielsen, Chinese consumers no longer associate a hefty price tag with premium products, and the availability of new and innovative brands is attracting this savvier group of clientele. Many foreign brands, especially in the fast-moving consumer goods sector, are losing out to domestic brands, as they expand and cater to the local market quicker and more effectively. A report from consulting firm McKinsey & Company also points to the changing trend in Chinese consumer habits. “Discrepancies over quality and after-sales service impacted their view of foreign brands in China,” read the October report.

Chinese state media have time and again pushed nationalist rhetoric that has taken its toll on foreign businesses. Last year, amid escalating political tensions with South Korea, state-run newspaper Global Times targeted the Korean-Japanese conglomerate Lotte Group and encouraged people to boycott its goods. State media commentators have also taken a proactive approach to promoting “Made in China” in order to showcase the positive side of the country’s brand, after Chinese products were once widely denigrated for poor quality.

“Seven domestic brands are now on the list of the top 10 brands in terms of growth rate,” wrote Zhou, the commentator, referring to a 2017 industry report. “As Chinese manufacturers upgrade their brands, goods, and services, more and more foreign names will become replaceable.”

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

that’s not surprising at all. just make something that’s a tacky gold color that looks like an iPhone for as cheap as possible then your domestic brand will sell millions. the only thing that matters is appearances.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

when a party newspaper in a single party state says its truth

:thunk:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
good for them. why should they buy foreign poo poo when they have all the factories.

also when is ios keyboard gonna suggest “poo poo”?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

good for them. why should they buy foreign poo poo when they have all the factories.

also when is ios keyboard gonna suggest “poo poo”?

foreign poo poo has foreign concepts like “quality control” and an idea of the weirdest of foreign concepts: “privacy”

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

foreign poo poo has foreign concepts like “quality control” and an idea of the weirdest of foreign concepts: “privacy”

dunno pal. the chinese market has spoken

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

dunno pal. the chinese market has spoken

I too blindly trust statistics out of china

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's called faceid because

akadajet posted:

face i'd rather have a fingerprint scanner

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Onslaught posted:

One of my MacBook (butterfly) keys was a little sticky, so I followed this informative and insightful guide to try to fix it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

As a result, now 10+ keys are far more stuck than the one that was sticking, including a completely unusable space bar :downs:

After reading other people’s experiences with this, anyone have any tips for how to avoid a lovely repair experience? Sounds like I’m gonna walk into the Apple Store appointment I have on Monday, have someone paw at the keys and say “yeah it’s out of warranty and needs the entire top to be replaced.” Aside from that taking it out of commission for longer than I’d like, it also apparently costs 400-700 dollars :/

I could try removing the keys on my own to clean but a) if any of them break its difficult to get replacements, b) I watched a MacBook Pro w/same keys very delicately remove a space bar with proper technique and it broke 3+ clips, cheapest replacement space bar for butterfly I’ve found is 70 bucks

This laptop was very needs suiting before it was crippled by keys not being able to be pressed :smith:

lol

replacing thinkpad keyboard:

remove 5 screws
lift keyboard out
buy new keyboard for $40
place down new keyboard
put back the 5 screws

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Boiled Water posted:

I too blindly trust statistics out of china

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is pretty interesting to see someone thinking that there is a country in the world *other* than china doing quality control on consumer electronics

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

iPhone XI with FaecesID

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

poty posted:

i have to write a thing in latex because academia. is mactex still the thing to download or did something better come up in the like 10 years since i had to use it last

use sublime with the latex package along with a supported compiler

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Significant Ant posted:

use sublime with the latex package along with a supported compiler

he's asking about distros, not editors

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i wish other distributions could copy miktex ability to download packages from ctan on the fly during compilation, i don't think anyone does though

in principle a dubious security move i guess, but not like i don't just download the packages from ctan either way, and it makes for a nice light install where i still get the random sprinkling of obscure packages i need dragged in transparently

debians packaging of texlive is the worst, you don't get everything at the start, but it is chunked up stupidly, so you start with texlive-common or some such, which while it contains the most common packages will still have your documents fail to build, and then you have to drag in like texlive-fonts-extra, which is then some gigabyte-sized lump of 99% useless packages that scatter out 20k+ files. very all-or-nothing while still making you janitor

fedora iirc just has a huge number of packages for all the individual ctan packages, which i find to be sort of ok by comparison

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i wish other distributions could copy miktex ability to download packages from ctan on the fly during compilation, i don't think anyone does though

in principle a dubious security move i guess, but not like i don't just download the packages from ctan either way, and it makes for a nice light install where i still get the random sprinkling of obscure packages i need dragged in transparently

debians packaging of texlive is the worst, you don't get everything at the start, but it is chunked up stupidly, so you start with texlive-common or some such, which while it contains the most common packages will still have your documents fail to build, and then you have to drag in like texlive-fonts-extra, which is then some gigabyte-sized lump of 99% useless packages that scatter out 20k+ files. very all-or-nothing while still making you janitor

fedora iirc just has a huge number of packages for all the individual ctan packages, which i find to be sort of ok by comparison

I got a huge package for ya right here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I got a huge package for ya right here

quoted for av/post combo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is pretty interesting to see someone thinking that there is a country in the world *other* than china doing quality control on consumer electronics

... yes?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

AWWNAW posted:

iPhone XI with FaecesID

Gonna be X2 and you know it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kobayashi posted:

Gonna be X2 and you know it

in 10 more iterations theyll just switch to calling it the MaciPhone and avoid the amusing tech names entirely

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

if we don’t have an eyePhone in 10 years I’ll be disappointed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

... yes?

everywhere claimed by China maybe

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’m sure The Management can chime in and correct me but I’d imagine Apple has an overpaid internal marketing department who right now is working on the name and ad campaign for the next iPhone, and it’s not gonna be something as simple and predictable as the iPhone X2

starting with the fact that they called it iPhone Ten, not “Ex”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
iPhone xse

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it will be the iPhone One.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
iphone cube