Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: dang, Solo is being released 3 weeks after Avengers 3 and one week before Deadpool 2 (and a month before Jurassic World 2). That's a whole bunch of big budget effects-laden action/adventure romps about quippy anti-heroes-with-a-heart-of-gold and so far the only thing that distinguishes Solo from the pack is that it had a whole bunch of lovely behind the scenes dramas which forced them to reshoot half of it.

And a fortnight before Incredibles 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I keep wondering if Disney is looking at Solo as just a completely sunken cost at this point, instead just praying for decent merchandise sales.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well who is the breakout new merchandise object or character for Solo? It's not like people will say "You know, I want interested in the millennium falcon before, but NOW I gotta have one!"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Timby posted:

I keep wondering if Disney is looking at Solo as just a completely sunken cost at this point, instead just praying for decent merchandise sales.

Considering its being released in between two other major Disney owned properties, it certainly looks like they aren't expecting much from it.

Avengers 3 is going to make obscene money, as is Incredibles 2, so if Solo tanks they're just going to quietly ignore it happened and move on with the next Star Wars thing until we're all dead or nerds finally stop giving a poo poo about Star Wars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's good for episode 9 to put the Solo movie out earlier so it feels like there's been a longer wait for ep 9

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Solo has one thing going for it the others don't. It's got Clint Howard in it

Does he play Chewbacca before he let his hair out?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well who is the breakout new merchandise object or character for Solo? It's not like people will say "You know, I want interested in the millennium falcon before, but NOW I gotta have one!"

That's the weird thing, there has been like nothing so far. We got Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, and Paul Bettany as new characters that we've not even seen, plus Han, Chewie, and Lando, yet the hype train hasn't left the station.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm not going to claim that Disney doesn't care about box office numbers for the Star Wars movies, but they likely don't care as much as other studios do about their products. As was pointed out last year, Disney still makes an ungodly sum of money from licensing merchandise for loving Winnie the Pooh, and their Star Wars merch dwarfs that by several factors. The movies don't matter, they could be complete losses (in which case Disney would write them off for their taxes) and Disney will still come out way ahead from merch sales.

Remember folks, the yearly movies whether they are Star Wars, Marvel, etc. are just vehicles for keeping the franchises hot for merchandise sales.

EDIT: This is also why Wheat Loaf's attempt to validate his personal opinion with math is even funnier in this particular case.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 8, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The entire movie is just an elaborate origin story for Han's vest and it becomes the hot new underarmor pattern and t-shirt design.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Isn't Solo the movie where midway through production they had to fly in an acting coach because the titular Solo was an awful actor

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Isn't Solo the movie where midway through production they had to fly in an acting coach because the titular Solo was an awful actor

The "acting coach" thing was in the very obviously planted hit piece in THR (or Variety, I forget which) that dropped like six hours after Lord & Miller were fired. It's never been confirmed.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
"Tell me were not going on the Kessel Run, Solo!"
"Would that it were so."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who should've starred in the 50 Shades series, instead of Dakota Johnson?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

That's the weird thing, there has been like nothing so far. We got Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, and Paul Bettany as new characters that we've not even seen, plus Han, Chewie, and Lando, yet the hype train hasn't left the station.

To be fair we've seen hardly pretty much nothing for Deadpool 2 or Incredibles 2 either and only the initial trailers for Avengers 3 and Jurassic World 2.

Edit: Jesus, it only really hit me when I typed out that sentence how many goddamned sequels we're getting

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 8, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To what end? Because I can think of no better place to put a multi-generation nepotism case than a movie nobody involved wants to be making.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Johnson is actually pretty good in them, she's way above the material but despite hating the other romantic lead her performance doesn't come off as her not wanting to be there

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jake Gyllenhaal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To be fair we've seen hardly pretty much nothing for Deadpool 2 or Incredibles 2 either and only the initial trailers for Avengers 3 and Jurassic World 2.

I have a strong feeling that both Deadpool 2 and Incredibles 2 will be huge disappointments (well, only partially for the former, as the original really doesn't hold up on repeat viewings).

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

I have a strong feeling that both Deadpool 2 and Incredibles 2 will be huge disappointments (well, only partially for the former, as the original really doesn't hold up on repeat viewings).

Currently hoping that Pixar is just following through on their old tradition of having extremely lovely trailers. (Seriously, the trailer for the original Incredibles is just "lol Bob's fat", it's not any better than the I2 trailer.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The lol Bob's fat trailer perfectly encapsulated the story of the movie, an over the hill superhero who is trying to relive his youth, at consequences to himself and his surroundings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't that a Pixar thing for a while where they'd have completely unique trailers with footage that wasn't in the movie?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

joylessdivision posted:

Considering its being released in between two other major Disney owned properties, it certainly looks like they aren't expecting much from it.

Avengers 3 is going to make obscene money, as is Incredibles 2, so if Solo tanks they're just going to quietly ignore it happened and move on with the next Star Wars thing until we're all dead or nerds finally stop giving a poo poo about Star Wars.

Solo has had that same release date since *long* before filming started, so I really don't think that scheduling has anything to do with Disney's expectations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't that a Pixar thing for a while where they'd have completely unique trailers with footage that wasn't in the movie?

A lot of trailers do that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Id have a lot more respect for Disney if they just said "gently caress it, this Solo movies gonna be poo poo" and scrapped it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Id have a lot more respect for Disney if they just said "gently caress it, this Solo movies gonna be poo poo" and scrapped it.

Seriously. It's clear that they had Ron Howard re-shoot the entire thing, considering Lord and Miller were fired in June with two weeks to go, Howard arrived on-set a week later and he kept shooting until the middle of October.

At this point I feel the movie getting released is a statement: "Kathleen Kennedy owns Star Wars, you do not gently caress with her (and to a lesser extent you don't gently caress with Kasdan)."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of trailers do that.

Sure, but I feel like I remember it being a thing Pixar movies did enough for a while that it was like one of their trademarks.

Dreamworks stuff - Antz and Shrek and Shark Tale - didn't do it that I can recall.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

banned from Starbucks posted:

I was saying for like a year that I'd bet this is exactly what they'd do---and rake in fan plaudits for withoholding an unseen "garbage" movie. But why be all Machiavellian about it when you can just crank poo poo out for mad dough I guess :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have four words for Solo

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

The entire movie is just an elaborate origin story for Han's vest and it becomes the hot new underarmor pattern and t-shirt design.

https://twitter.com/communistbabe/status/948614604636262401

Sandra Bernhard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

#ItsMillerCutTime

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Can I please get her in more leads in action/adventure movies? Possibly with Eva Green as a villain? Both are great in such roles

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eva Green and Cate Blanchette buddy cop movie thanks

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, but I feel like I remember it being a thing Pixar movies did enough for a while that it was like one of their trademarks.

Dreamworks stuff - Antz and Shrek and Shark Tale - didn't do it that I can recall.

It was. Also doing fake outtakes over the credits but around The Incredibles they stopped that in favor of creating a new short to put on the DVD.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always liked their outtakes and was disappointed when they stopped doing them.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Apparently there's some kind of fantasy-football app now, but for movie ticket sales? I just saw a commercial for it.

Also i didnt know where to post this but i saw it at a collection of shorts this week and liked it:
https://vimeo.com/98522073

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

https://twitter.com/thespencerperry/status/949774355004870657

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Most of the people who went to that photo for the Snyder cut banner probably just wanted to meet the Wonder Woman cosplaying Instagram model, she organized it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Can I please get her in more leads in action/adventure movies? Possibly with Eva Green as a villain? Both are great in such roles

We need Eva as Modesty Blaise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm amazed nobody has tried a Modesty Blaise since the DTV one from about 15 years ago ("presented by" Quentin Tarantino!) where she has the stiffest fight ever with Jaime Lannister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the Solo movie merch does not look so hot and also spoils one of the most "really, this is what they're doing" aspects of the movie.