Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dizz posted:

to block, I clench my butthole, pressing the pressure-sensitive stick in my rear end

same but also when I'm not playing a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i set mp to jump and mk to select

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

VigilantePrime posted:

How do you get around ghosting if you're playing on a keyboard? Buttons feel much more precise to me than a stick but it seems pointless if it ignores half of my inputs.

When people say "buy a keyboard that isn't trash" they mean to look for a high key rollover. The best keyboards for fighting games have no key roll over. It'll be abbreviated NKRO, n-key rollover, and recently anti-ghosting, but you'll do fine with 6KRO. I've seen 12KRO recently as well. These generally are mechanical switch keyboards, and my NKRO keyboard had an old style PS2 connection that needed a USB adapter on laptops.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

https://gfycat.com/LimitedBigheartedArmadillo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So, this is a very big thread and googling "why is Street Fighter 5 bad?" or "Street Fighter 5 problems" gives me a bunch of conflicting information, so could someone be so kind and give me a quick summary of its negatives?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So, this is a very big thread and googling "why is Street Fighter 5 bad?" or "Street Fighter 5 problems" gives me a bunch of conflicting information, so could someone be so kind and give me a quick summary of its negatives?

https://medium.com/@ahfb/is-street-fighter-v-a-bad-game-528001648887

should all still be relevant

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

lool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Normals suck
Walkspeeds suck
Crushcounters are really dumb
The v system is stupid
Characters dont stand out from each other enough and are the worst versions of themselves in a sf game aside from like mika who was bad in alpha
The only changes they ever make are tiny little bullshit nerfs and wtf psyduck left field poo poo
The netcode is bad
The ui is bad
The monetization is bad
The online community is bad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How many games give you that satisfaction of alt-tabbing lag back onto your opponent though?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Oh gently caress, I love The Grid!

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Any y'all good with fightsticks? I bought a Qanba Obsidian and it does this weird rear end thing where it disconnects from the Ps4 and makes my TV flicker whenever it comes in contact with static electricity. And because my house is cold and dry at the moment that means when I go to put it in my lap or touch any of the metal parts on it at all. Is there a way to fix this without waiting weeks to get a new one from Amazon?

This is my first fightstick so I don't know how they work on the inside or anything but I can learn to fix this stupid poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Are you sure its not just in ps3 mode and timing out?

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Are you sure its not just in ps3 mode and timing out?

Nah, it's been switched to Ps4 mode for weeks. It did the same thing in PC mode when I tried to play a SHMUP on my PC after I got it. I moved it from my desk to my lap and it disconnected.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

40-Degree Day posted:

Nah, it's been switched to Ps4 mode for weeks. It did the same thing in PC mode when I tried to play a SHMUP on my PC after I got it. I moved it from my desk to my lap and it disconnected.

open it up and see if anything is loose.

if something came off the pcb you're better off sending it back unless you can solder.

looking at the internals it looks like its all plug in stuff. check all the wires to make sure they're connected on both ends.

most likely
VVV

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sounds like a grounding issue in the cable.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Basically the game is simplistic to the point of being shallow and unsatisfying. The notion of distilling characters down to their core essences and giving them V-skills/V-trigger to amplify them sounds like it might be a cool design idea, but Capcom's execution resulted in there being a single, obvious, Correct way to play each character, so there's no such thing as personal style or expression (even combos are very samey and bland). All the stuff people will tell you about hitboxes and movespeeds and throws culminate in a pretty weak footsies game, because you can get away with a lot more jumping around or fishing for crush counters rather than playing patiently or zoning. The fights have no real tension because 1. you don't die from chip damage, and 2. the characters who are worth anything have combos that let them convert a stray limb into V-trigger into a super and take off most of your lifebar anyway, so "comebacks" are frequent but unremarkable.

All of this is without even going into the actual launch of the game, which was—without exaggeration—one of the most disastrous launches of a well-known franchise in recent history.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
With two or three exceptions, every single character feels depressing to lose to and, somehow, win with.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Menat is pretty fun at least, but it's a shame she's not in a better game.

Though I'll say, I've started playing SFV again and have fun, weirdly enough.

S3 looks like they're adding some nice QOL features, they're also making a ton of hitbox adjustments so maybe they'll smooth some of the edges? Won't fix every character having a pretty objectively correct way to play however.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ive been playing sfv this week and its ok for the lull before unist in english and dbzf i guess. Probably wont ever boot it up again after that

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just as an FYI, the SRK forums are getting shut down end of this month. The only thing of value there was Tech Talk for building sticks and poo poo but yeah, kinda interesting I guess. Oh and archived poo poo talk I guess

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

The real answer is sf5 had a rocky launch with maybe not the best initial balance and a lot of people are set in their ways and want to hate anything new. I personally hate the general direction of season 2 so I am no stout defender but people love jumping on the hate bandwagon.

With a lot of more braindead things being toned down in s3 and the rise in tech and knowledge of characters who win by proper neutral play like Birdie I got decent hopes for arcade edition.

The capcom cup grand finals had so much going on under the hood that escaped casual viewing(like Menard getting counterhit on purpose to abuse ch pushback to save him from worse options) shows to me anyway people finally getting real bearing on sf5.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I refunded my Qanba Obsidian. What stick should I buy in the year of our lord 2018?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Constellation I posted:

Just as an FYI, the SRK forums are getting shut down end of this month. The only thing of value there was Tech Talk for building sticks and poo poo but yeah, kinda interesting I guess. Oh and archived poo poo talk I guess

drat I been in there for like 15 years.

Mostly tech talk tho. The rest of the forums is pretty garbage.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

40-Degree Day posted:

I refunded my Qanba Obsidian. What stick should I buy in the year of our lord 2018?

Go custom

Or panthera if you want pre built

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

nuckledu is a world champ on pad for sfv

ryanlv is a world champ on pad for mvc3

old but menard and qudans also use pad

i guess qudans has to do it for health reasons but still

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

40-Degree Day posted:

Panthera is amazing but uggo. Needs firmware update out of box too

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Constellation I posted:

the Tech Talk regulars moved to facebook a while back, they're talking about doing a subreddit now that forums will be gone

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Holy poo poo the panthera Is ugly. Is it hard to change the artwork on it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

40-Degree Day posted:

You gotta melt away the glue with a hairdryer and hope it comes off easy. Its not worth it its a great stick otherwise

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Menat is pretty fun at least, but it's a shame she's not in a better game.

Though I'll say, I've started playing SFV again and have fun, weirdly enough.

I love Menat even though I will never actually muster the patience to practice with her.

Of course, Capcom definitely wants people to play her in the most unfun way possible given how they hosed over V-Trigger combo scaling (which is crazy because her KOF-esque combos are what makes her stand apart), and they really, really want to make her Orb-less attacks better and maybe her Orb attacks shittier.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

hurthling and brosnan nailed it but also the pc version installed a rootkit onto your computer

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
gently caress and we completely forgot to mention the whole 7 8 frames of input lag thing gently caress this game is bad

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 9, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

gently caress and we completely forgot to mention the whole 7 8 frames of input lag thing gently caress this game is bad

Its so bad the memes dont even come up for hours of discussing it

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
There are a shitton of great neogeo fighting games on Switch. Anything that is need to get?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hiro Protagonist posted:

There are a shitton of great neogeo fighting games on Switch. Anything that is need to get?

Waku waku 7 is fun but i hate the switch controllers for fighters

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

40-Degree Day posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nice

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

40-Degree Day posted:

the art is glued to the top panel despite there being perfectly good screwholes for plexi

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its high performance esports glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Played Xrd for half an hour after only playing Tekken for the last few months. My right hand already aches. I guess this is a sign I mash like a baby in that game.