Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

It's a Monday. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Justin_Brett posted:

Buu's name is taken off a magic spell from a Disney movie.

When I was a teenager I realized this and had the privilege of blowing the minds of everyone at my school who watched the show.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

It's a Monday. :shrug:

It's very monday this monday. :shrug:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

you could argue that the period of dragon ball from king piccolo to the end of the cell games was short on gags compared to the rest of dragon ball proper, but it had goku on snake way + king kai, bulma in space, ginyu force, the driving school episode, the introduction of mr. satan... i'd argue that stuff is as strong and compelling as the fights themselves and much more memorable

discounting goku black, super's consistently struck a good balance between punchfight wrestledrama and comedy imho

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/status/950479140041437184

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just always assumed powerlevels were insanely fractional. Like the difference between 100 and 1 million is the difference between out of shape and went to the gym for 4 weeks casually. Yeah casual gym dude is gonna win an arm wrestling match but not by a lot and all the other dude needs to do to rocket up the power levels is eat a little better and lift some heavy things a little bit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first volume or so of Dragon Ball is pure gag manga.

It didn't start to change until Red Ribbon, and didn't REALLY change until King Piccolo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Here is my hot take:
Dragonball always had asspuls/humor. The intensity of both varied over time. Most people are nostalgic for the end of Dragonball to at least Z-Cell (or beyond) era where the show was at it's most relatively serious. Super seems to go decently hard for both humor and [i]coolfights™[/i, some people might not like that adjustment or find it a bit jarring.
Also super is good.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Even Gohan punched the motherfucker right in his goddamn eye

Lets not discount Yajirobe slicing up Vegeta. TWICE!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I liked Goku's tour of getting beaten up by his team mates and being shown that he didn't understand the rules of the tournament that he suggested. I always just took it for granted that Goku was just building up their confidence/trying to work out how strong they were for the tournament and that's why he didn't just immediately one shot them.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhonne posted:

Lets not discount Yajirobe slicing up Vegeta. TWICE!

Why isn't he here? I'm pretty sure he'd snipe Jiren out of the victory.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

How does this keep getting better.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Gatts posted:

Why isn't he here? I'm pretty sure he'd snipe Jiren out of the victory.
He'd be more fun than Tien at least.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
balls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H01eq2Tc-WQ

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SirKibbles posted:

How does this keep getting better.

Today I learned that Chris Sabat has an incredible normal voice and I have been pronouncing his surname incorrectly.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhonne posted:

He'd be more fun than Tien at least.

I can never get a read on that guy.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Today I learned that Chris Sabat has an incredible normal voice and I have been pronouncing his surname incorrectly.

It's way too close to his Piccolo voice it's throwing me off.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sabat vs Schemmel is a really one-sided fight in a three-vs-three game. Sabat has Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, and a claim on Ginyu considering he is or was three out of five of the Ginyu Force. Schemmel only has Goku and Goku Black.

Unless both SS and SSB Goku can be picked on the same team, Sabat has an advantage in numbers, and he has more choices anyways, including Yamcha who looks like he is one of the best characters in the game (much like he is the strongest in the series, as shown in the baseball episode).

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Why can't I play as King Kai in FighterZ

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Goku and Goku Blue are different characters in FighterZ with different movesets, they can be on the same team.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Sabat vs Schemmel is a really one-sided fight in a three-vs-three game. Sabat has Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, and a claim on Ginyu considering he is or was three out of five of the Ginyu Force. Schemmel only has Goku and Goku Black.

Unless both SS and SSB Goku can be picked on the same team, Sabat has an advantage in numbers, and he has more choices anyways, including Yamcha who looks like he is one of the best characters in the game (much like he is the strongest in the series, as shown in the baseball episode).

yeah you can use all the gokus together

it would be kind of great to see vegeta/piccolo/yamcha against goku/blueku/roseku as their lineups

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hjalmar posted:

It's bad for the game if one character is an auto pick.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hjalmar posted:

No lie, King Kai with a moveset focused on the Kaio-Ken, the Spirit Bomb, and a bunch of terrible puns would be the best loving inclusion.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status/950548619064586241

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

hasn't there only been one dragon ball game with playable king kai

tragedy if true

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hjalmar posted:

tragedy if true
Tragedy? I dunno, it sounds more like a bad joke to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hjalmar posted:

tragedy if true

And said game didn't even come out of Japan. That's sad.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

As for the venue, well....

https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/950405084382294016

To be honest, this would be a great thing to do at EVO to give the game some main stage presence. Have an exhibition match during, say, the Tekken finals, pair it with a DLC character announcement, you've got something.

It really does keep getting better

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

grand theft grotto posted:

In all sorts of real skills, your average performance metrics absolutely matter but sometimes you have an off day or sometimes someone who on average is worse than you just really gets their poo poo together and has a great on day.

I jumped in on this show after reading some summaries a few episodes ago and it's a great experience just turning off my brain and enjoying the ride.

hxh explains this well

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow this thread went off the rails for a bit.

Anyway, i dont buy the dragon ball knock-out order theory. I can be wrong but for now i'm still assuming freeza is going to be one of the last guys left apart from Jiren and one of the Saiyans. Though i'll admit that gohan outlasting him is possible, and things coming down to Goku and Gohan vs Jiren. Whatever the case, i doubt Dyspo will be the one knocking him off and in fact he'll outlast Dyspo and Toppo.

As for this supposed deal that he's going to offer Dyspo in one of the spoilers, i wouldnt take it too seriously. There's no reason for Dyspo to take him up on such an offer, and the writers know this. And they know that the audience knows this, probably. So I doubt its supposed to be a big twist that makes you think "Oh no freeza's turning". More likely he's distracting Dyspo or seeing how he reacts. He'll see how Universe 11 reacts, see for himself that there's no chance they'll resurrect him or cooperate with him, then he'll shrug and say "Well okay then". And then he'll promptly stomp Dyspo and knock him off.

Its hinted that Toppo is actually a God of Destruction, or about that level, and he's been holding back. If this is true, then i think Freeza will end up fighting him and reveal his own power-up, if he has one. I still think he's hiding something. Remember when he withstood that bit of hakaii energy? I'm still thinking he's got a hakaii-based power up of his own and is approaching GoD level. Still no match for Jiren but he might be the one to knock Toppo off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Super is cool and good and has some of the absolute highs of the franchise and if you don't like it you probably are a big fan of SSJ4 and think Goku is the best character.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If Freeza isn't one of the last people standing it was utterly pointless bringing him back as he's done gently caress all so far (even though he's been a highlight), so I doubt he'll be eliminated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Frieza is going back to hell I would be surprised if its during the current arc. I suppose its still entirely possible for it to get majorly derailed like the Tournament in the Buu saga was.

Also what's this Toppo being a God of Destruction theory?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I've just read spoilers that after the tournament zeno merges all the universes together to create a super universe that is the setting for the live action dragon ball movie and all episodes from then on will be 24 minute segments of the movie dubbed over with the Japanese voice actors.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drilldo squirt posted:

I've just read spoilers that after the tournament zeno merges all the universes together to create a super universe that is the setting for the live action dragon ball movie and all episodes from then on will be 24 minute segments of the movie dubbed over with the Japanese voice actors.
Unironically still better than GT.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm glad I stopped watching after the buu saga, GT sounds terrible.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My theory is that the universes will merge but the reason will be that Goku wishes back everyone who was erased, but not everything, so U7 gets a ton of new roommates.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad I stopped watching after the buu saga, GT sounds terrible.

That's the worst part it's not terrible it's just really really loving boring. Also Pan sucks because they needed someone to make Goku look good and she's a girl so she gets to be the damsel. The GT stands for Goku time

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Raxivace posted:

If Frieza is going back to hell I would be surprised if its during the current arc. I suppose its still entirely possible for it to get majorly derailed like the Tournament in the Buu saga was.

Also what's this Toppo being a God of Destruction theory?
Frieza told Goku "actually no your dragon balls will suffice to resurrect me," so that is, presumably, his plan, if they are not erased. Since if they are not erased, they can just go do that.

Toppo has trained under Belmod as his replacement and is shooting red ki which may well be god ki (it's just that he's only shot it at Goku, I think, and is also obviously rolling non-lethal in the tournament).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If God ki is supposed to red, that might explain why the Kaio-Ken is red. King Kai invented it and he's a god, after all. Maybe that's why the technique is so dangerous for Goku when he first learns it: he's not a god and hasn't learned to naturally tap into god ki, but the technique allows him to boost his power with god ki. But his body can't handle it beyond a certain limit and starts loving him up if he does it too much. This may also explain why it doesn't seem to hurt him much now, because at this point he can use god ki normally. There may still be a limit to how much he can push it but it doesn't seem like it's nearly as dangerous as it used to be.

Probably a dumb theory but just an idle thought.