Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Chris Petersen is a quarterback whisperer so I'm sure Eason will be fine

That doesn't explain why Jake Browning looked awful at times this season :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Korranus posted:

So I guess Jalen Hurts is the biggest name free agent this offseason

Biggest free agent the following season. Amusingly, the NCAA claims they do this "to allow you to become comfortable in your new environment."

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Washington makes more sense than Wisconsin, which is what I was thinking.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hunter Rison is leaving Michigan State.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/950766703062994944

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

By virtue of beating UGA and Bama, Auburn set in motion events that would lead to UGA and Bama playing for the national championship, and also ensured Auburn would give Gus a fat contract, and also they were listless against UCF and lose a bunch of guys and will take a step back next season. Ta daaaaaa

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So I'm asking this in all sincerity. Would the Bama fans here agree that other teams turn into loving idiots almost every time Bama is on the ropes? I'm not saying Saban isn't a great coach and I'm not being salty about it, I'm genuinely flummoxed at this point. The way UGA had that game by the balls so many times and hosed up every time broke my brain. I'm beyond salt at this point. It's not there. I'm just shrugging.

Honestly I can’t think of many times the last few years where Bama was “on the ropes” (if by that you mean down more than one score), and the result there is that they generally lose, I think.

Against bad teams or cupcakes they blow them out.

Against decent ranked teams the typical scenario feels like Bama gets ahead 10-14 points at some point by the half and strangles the other team with defense and running with garbage time scores by the losing team sometimes making the final score look closer than the game really was, where Bama never really relinquished control or was seriously threatened. Sometimes they will blow them out if they get a pick six or fumble scoop TD, and/or if their running backs start gashing big plays.

In last year’s NCG Bama could not maintain that control and lead both because Clemson had a certain D. Watson making plays, and also because Hurts and the offense couldn’t sustain drives and spell their defense so they were gassed and couldn’t stop Clemson in the stretch.

“On the ropes” for Bama in the last few years is usually not like “Bama down two scores” but more like “Bama can’t get ahead by more than a TD” like in the Miss. State game this year.

The usual Saban game plan and team in this era has generally been to control the game and strangle from ahead and it’s a pretty rare scenario they’ve had to come from behind in the second half, and I don’t think they’ve been all that successful when it’s happened, see Iron Bowl this year.

Even though McCarron and even Coker could sling the ball better than Hurts, Tua seems to be the most talented QB I’ve seen at Bama under Saban by far. This is not just from the NCG, it’s from all the other garbage time stuff I watched earlier this year, the guy can clearly make reads and all kinds of throws and scrambles. It’s the first guy I can remember where I actually have the feeling that “yeah THIS guy can maybe make up a two score deficit in a quarter” and not feel like it’s a desperate long shot like with Hurts or even other Bama QBs.

It will really be interesting to see how Nick runs the offense to adapt to the skill sets of this guy. Will he be able to tolerate some more turnovers for the production this guy’s passing will bring? He adapted to having a running QB so we’ll see.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Honestly I can’t think of many times the last few years where Bama was “on the ropes” (if by that you mean down more than one score), and the result there is that they generally lose, I think.

Bama's 13-point deficit was their largest at halftime since the '14 Sugar Bowl (where they didn't really care).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Someone remind me how Cardale Jones did the next year after looking transcendental in the playoffs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zwabu posted:

Off the top of my head Ole Miss was up 24-3 on them a couple of years ago before Bama came back, I wanted to say Mississippi State should have had them beat at least once during the Dak years but it looks like I'm remembering that completely wrong.

D.N. Nation posted:

Bama's 13-point deficit was their largest at halftime since the '14 Sugar Bowl (where they didn't really care).

Yeah that Ole Miss game was 24-17 at half so they'd already given most of it back by the half.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Someone remind me how Cardale Jones did the next year after looking transcendental in the playoffs.

Tua has looked great all season. He just only played when no one was watching. Him and Najee Harris look really great.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

tactlessbastard posted:

you might as well accept it now my man

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Scionix posted:

you might as well accept it now my man

Like death and taxes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Dom Sanders, with his 8 million games started at safety, was in Cover 2 and shouldn't have even been looking at Tua. For fucks sake he had the deep boundary to cover with 1 WR on his side. Had he played it correctly he at least would have been in position to make a play instead of trying to be a hero reading Tua and sneaking over to the other side of the field.

Great game, but talk about a lovely way to lose it all.

Tua and Najee are going to be ridiculous.

With Bama running four verts being in cover 2 with the corners playing zone underneath put the safety in a really bad spot pretty much regardless of what he did. Even if he shaded harder toward the boundary right away that was going to leave someone else open, and the corner passed his man off to the safety waaaaay too early. I think everyone on UGA including the coaches assumed Bama was going to play it safe and try to get closer to field goal range again with something underneath rather than going it for it all on one play. Bama had the perfect call for it, I don't think tua looking him off ultimately mattered that much

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Nothing is a sure thing but I don’t think there’s much comparison between the abilities of Tua and Cardale.

Tua can make all kinds of accurate zippy middle range throws as well as bombs. Cardale seemed like a huge strong guy who is incredibly hard to bring down, can run over some people and sling a long bomb with the potential to be a Big Ben II kind of guy.

For frosh QBs Tua feels much closer to a complete product skills wise with Jones being more potential.

Sam Darnold looked like more of a sure thing last year than this year so we’ll see I guess when people have time to study Tua.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also on Michel vs Chubb, I do agree Michel probably deserved more carries but what percentage of his yards were on draws or 3rd and long runs where they just caught the Bama defense off guard? It seemed like a lot, I'm not sure just subbing him for all of Chubbs' runs on more typical run down and distance was going to make THAT big a difference

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Auburn may take the cake for having the least patient boosters in the SEC.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

That doesn't explain why Jake Browning looked awful at times this season :smith:

Yeah, Browning is shook when he has to play any defense worth a drat and it really is awful to watch

e: I suppose we may be able to blame Bama for that too, loving hell

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
From being terrified that he was going to leave for Arkansas to wanting to fire him again in like a month lol

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

With Bama running four verts being in cover 2 with the corners playing zone underneath put the safety in a really bad spot pretty much regardless of what he did. Even if he shaded harder toward the boundary right away that was going to leave someone else open, and the corner passed his man off to the safety waaaaay too early. I think everyone on UGA including the coaches assumed Bama was going to play it safe and try to get closer to field goal range again with something underneath rather than going it for it all on one play. Bama had the perfect call for it, I don't think tua looking him off ultimately mattered that much

Yea, he didn't look off the S at all, he just did what he should have and the pass was complete regardless so it just looked like it worked.

MourningView posted:

Also on Michel vs Chubb, I do agree Michel probably deserved more carries but what percentage of his yards were on draws or 3rd and long runs where they just caught the Bama defense off guard? It seemed like a lot, I'm not sure just subbing him for all of Chubbs' runs on more typical run down and distance was going to make THAT big a difference

A lot of it was where they ran. Payne just ate up the interior and UGA had no response most of the time and that's usually where they sent Chubb. The one outside run I clearly remember the corner peeled off and tackled Chubb for like a 7 yard loss in the open field. UGA just got lucky the next play with that big rear end bomb TD.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SourKraut posted:

FTFY. And don't forget the Blackhawks for the Stanley Cup and Golden State for the NBA Finals

I didn't stutter for MLB :colbert: (though I'm not disagreeing that the Yankees would also count). See also: Penguins.

At least now the Red Wings are utter rear end and will be for the time being.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Tom Herman was really good at his job. Ed Warinner not so much.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
On the bright side for UGA I think there is a good argument that OU still blew the title more than UGA did. And that UGA recruiting class looks illegal.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I wish Drew Lock would announce he's leaving for the NFL already so I can look forward to a truly dreadful offense next year

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lasagna Pilot posted:

On the bright side for UGA I think there is a good argument that OU still blew the title more than UGA did. And that UGA recruiting class looks illegal.

Fromm showed glimpses of being an heisman QB in about two or three seasons so I am sure they will be fine. That pass he threw was art. He just needs to be a little less Drew Bledsoe in the pocket

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I do wonder how much QB swapping in/out you'll get with Fromm and Justin Fields in the next couple seasons. Last time UGA legitimately did that (as opposed to "eventually let the younger guy take over") was David Greene/DJ Shockley. It sort of worked, but every now and then you'd futz with both guys' rhythm.

SmellsLikeToast
Dec 30, 2005

A GREATER MAN THAN I DESERVE
Here are my thoughts on the College Football Playoff National Championship Game:

gently caress Jim Chaney.

Namaste.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol @ Georgia sports teams

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
https://twitter.com/MattBrownCFB/status/950582332586713089

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That film room was really good. Matt Luke and Mike Bobo were boring as poo poo but Cutcliffe, Sumlin, Gundy, and Fitzgerald were really good and enjoyable personalities.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
One of my favorite moments was when Alabama put Hurts back in to center the ball before the field goal they ultimately missed. One of the coaches said essentially, "How many times have you practiced that play with your backup?" I want to say that Cutcliffe, Sumlin, and Fitzgerald all confessed that they'd never done it. We almost exclusively see coaches speaking at press conferences, where they try so hard to exude a confident bravado. It was cool to just hear coaches talking about how they gently caress up.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

MourningView posted:

They didn't run 4 verts though. The outside WR's ran verticals, the H back ran a pattern towards the boundary corner underneath but ended up 15 yards short of the goal line...the slot receiver ran an in route about 15 yards down field. Yes, Parrish released the WR too soon, he should have either stayed with him when 34 didn't run a pattern into his zone or chip 6 pulling him out of his route, but Sanders had 1 dude to worry about and poo poo the bed. Sanders creeps over towards the middle of the field pre-snap, drops back on the hash while eyeing Tua (should have never had his eyes in the backfield)...he stays pinned to the hash instead of watching 6 and covering him. Tua did a great job looking right the entire play until the last second when he threw back to his left.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3265223

EDIT...removed time stamp, looks like it changes based on ads

BunLengthHotDog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 9, 2018

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/Noah11_V/status/950808907026522112

Was Milton's backup and saw a fair deal of action last season. He grew up 45 minutes north of Lincoln; his dad and a couple uncles played for Nebraska, too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BunLengthHotDog posted:

They didn't run 4 verts though. The outside WR's ran verticals, the H back ran a pattern towards the boundary corner underneath but ended up 15 yards short of the goal line...the slot receiver ran an in route about 15 yards down field. Yes, Parrish released the WR too soon, he should have either stayed with him when 34 didn't run a pattern into his zone or chip 6 pulling him out of his route, but Sanders had 1 dude to worry about and poo poo the bed. Sanders creeps over towards the middle of the field pre-snap, drops back on the hash while eyeing Tua (should have never had his eyes in the backfield)...he stays pinned to the hash instead of watching 6 and covering him. Tua did a great job looking right the entire play until the last second when he threw back to his left.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3265223

EDIT...removed time stamp, looks like it changes based on ads

Four verts almost never literally mean four go routes, there's always a skinny post from one of the inside guys specifically to occupy the safety and it would have been open and gone for at least a first down if he'd immediately shaded toward the sideline. That is obviously way better than a TD but the play put him in a lovely spot pretty much regardless of what he did baring some sort of gently caress up from Bama. They got caught in a really bad coverage scheme for that play that they made worse with bad execution

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

That film room was really good. Matt Luke and Mike Bobo were boring as poo poo but Cutcliffe, Sumlin, Gundy, and Fitzgerald were really good and enjoyable personalities.

Luke was really good with x and o stuff but too reluctant to talk. Cutcliffe was the best though, he was so mad at every QB in the game

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Crotch Bat posted:

Yeah it was great, but it just convinced me that I need a bigger TV. It was hard to see what was going on since our TV isn't very big. Now I have even more of an excuse to pressure the wife into an upgrade.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
drat...the last time UGA beat Bama it was in 2007 when Matt Stafford hit Mikey Henderson in OT on a go route, safety didn't roll over to help.

UGA 26
Bama 23

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drunk leprechaun posted:

Yeah it was great, but it just convinced me that I need a bigger TV. It was hard to see what was going on since our TV isn't very big. Now I have even more of an excuse to pressure the wife into an upgrade.

I think next year I'm going to put coaches on my ipad or something and just mute the main broadcast.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

One of my favorite moments was when Alabama put Hurts back in to center the ball before the field goal they ultimately missed. One of the coaches said essentially, "How many times have you practiced that play with your backup?" I want to say that Cutcliffe, Sumlin, and Fitzgerald all confessed that they'd never done it. We almost exclusively see coaches speaking at press conferences, where they try so hard to exude a confident bravado. It was cool to just hear coaches talking about how they gently caress up.

Yea, they all did, and Cut literally made a note right then and there on his pad and said he was going to start doing this next year.

I spent enough time playing and being taught the game by my dad that I enjoy hearing coaches talk about the game like, well, it's their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MourningView posted:

From being terrified that he was going to leave for Arkansas to wanting to fire him again in like a month lol

Also, and I haven't looked it up so somebody tell me if I'm wrong, I think Gus, Dabo, and Urban are the only current head coaches with a win over Saban.

Gus isn't as good of a coach as Saban, but I don't think Auburn has any better options out there.

• Locked thread