Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Woah, more pictures please. That thing looks rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fingerling posted:

What's the plan for it? 1J? In Aus/Jap I believe they even came with the 1UZ (4lt V8). Love it either way dude!
Yeah it has a 1JZ-GE. Couldn't get the wagon with the 1UZ but if you got a Royal Saloon G you essentially had a much cooler LS400 with a Crown on your key and a little color CRT in your dashboard. Super cool but not a wagon.

Fermented Tinal posted:

What A/Ts are you putting on it?

These are absolutely going on the Crown and def. not for the Rugger nope.

The thing is dirty as all hell because every car I import seems to be filthy so keep that in mind. The only thing I've done is Febreeze bombed it (it was a smoker's car) and cleaned the stickers and grease pencil off the window.

It's a 1990 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon Wagon, the highest trim Crown wagon that was available at the time. The Crown is both a high-end car and also a workhorse in Japan. Taxis and police cars are Crowns, yet the civilian in the Crown is swimming in ~luxury~. It's extremely close in size to the 1994 BMW 5 series wagon I had and feels the same when driving. Not so much boat like but comfortably taught. Has an extremely tight turning radius, is quiet and has heat and A/C that will blow your face off. The steering is firm but light, the torque feels powerful although I imagine it isn't a speed demon at all. Being that it isn't registered or plated yet I haven't taken it for a long high-speed cruise so I couldn't say just yet. It's equipped with a 2.5 liter 1JZ-GE I6 and 4 speed automatic.
See those rear facing seats? They are a little too small for me and I'm 5'10". Bizarrely it has an ashtray for the passengers sitting back there, even though they are probably kids. :shrug:
It has that sweet vista roof thing with factory curtains. The velcro is trashed and needs to be replaced but otherwise is in good shape. Rear A/C and radio controls for people in the backseat. It's completely unmolested and in stock configuration. Fog lights integrated in the grill. Dual rear wipers.
I'm the second owner and I've inherited all the original manuals and the 28 maintenance reports, once a year plus another one. It's dirty as hell and like my Rugger was taken car of mechanically but never washed, cleaned or waxed. It smells like an ashtray too but that will go away soon enough.
Those last three shots really show off the opulence within. Fancy Crown key, choice tiny sun-visor for the rear view mirror and sweeping HVAC vents.

My plans are to get new tires for it as it has some old and cracked Goodyears on the back and some sort of Dunlops on the front. I'll be replacing the headunit with a double-din Android auto one, the size of the current headunit is perfect for it, and I have no use for Dolby NR technology. Downside is those cool buttons and recessed knob above the headunit will be useless. We're just going to use it like normally and drive it, it's essentially going to retire in Florida like my Rugger.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
that owns and with the way those flat edges are in the center, there is huge potential for custom gauge/switchboard magic if you're into that stuff

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo rumble seat ash tray. :lol:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You should get an ozone generator, otherwise that smoking smell will never go away

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gently caress yeah, that car rules. I'm the oddly specific redline indicator.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love everything about that car :flashfap:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Where was that car imported from?

Are Japanese Home market cars built with English labeling inside, and exterior badging in English?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrYenko posted:

Are Japanese Home market cars built with English labeling inside, and exterior badging in English?

It will be a JDM car. Everyone I ever imported had interior and exterior labeling in english with the safety notices in Japanese.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should get an ozone generator, otherwise that smoking smell will never go away

Had the same thought. Even then it will probably take multiple treatments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have slowly scrolled through those pics four times now. Just the coolest car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MrYenko posted:

BigPaddy is correct, this one is from Japan. We've got a thread detailing my experiences and others here in AI err I mean DDATE and various vehicles I've imported so far. Lots of super cool stuff I never knew existed till I started learning about it all.
And yeah, almost everything is in English on everything I've imported (and everything I've looked at), save for this Crown having Japanese on a little third stalk up on the wheel. I assume it's the cruise control but I haven't swung the Google real-time translate app up there yet to give me an idea.

I've got this one on the way too, a 1990 Toyota LiteAce 4WD van with 5 speed manual transmission and wicked cool 'Sky Lite' roof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the end, what did the Crown run you because that's cool you can barely put a price tag on.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

In the end, what did the Crown run you because that's cool you can barely put a price tag on.

As it sits in my backyard $5140.16. I paid $1944 for the car itself, the rest of the cost is in transport and various fees. I'll have another $200 or so in registration and title-making but that's the last of it. A 60k mile (that odometer is in km remember), grade 4 (a good grade), ~luxury~ unique wagon that says 'Toyota' on it for under $5500 is pretty good imho. I've been daily driving right hand drive JDMs now since 2016 and it's ez pz, especially if you are a bit vain like me and enjoy the attention :v:
You'll probably be king or queen of any Cars and Coffee too.

EDIT
While I do sell these here stateside (usually, unless I fall in love with them ala the Rugger) I bought this Crown to keep. Since we're all cool AI people I go over all the information I have for importing stuff yourself in the JDM import thread, I don't want to treat AI as a 'market'. We usually change our own oil so we should probably expect us to import our own cars, you know?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat.

I swear I'm gonna hit you up about this at some point.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Rhyno posted:

drat.

I swear I'm gonna hit you up about this at some point.

Import a idm car, they are cool and good. Even dinky little cheap ones have all sorts of quirks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is absolutely perfect fodder for Regular Car Reviews.
We should all pitch in to buy him a plane ticket to review this.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My grandmother's early-00's Lexus LS had those oscillating vents. Every time I drove her car I remembered how much I didn't like them.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

I've got an 89 MX-6 that does this as well, 80s luxury is the best kind of luxury

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is absolutely perfect fodder for Regular Car Reviews.
We should all pitch in to buy him a plane ticket to review this.

Except he wouldn't talk about the car but rather the era it was made in and it'd be boring as gently caress because he doesn't get excited about cars to the point where he bought an original MR2 and is babying it as we speak.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Except he wouldn't talk about the car but rather the era it was made in and it'd be boring as gently caress because he doesn't get excited about cars to the point where he bought an original MR2 and is babying it as we speak.

He already sold the MR2 :v:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My Focus and a tech's Evo at the dealership we work at. Boosty friends.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

opengl128 posted:

He already sold the MR2 :v:

Amazing. All that talk of it being the car he's always wanted :downswords:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah, I think his reviews are too out there and don't stick enough to the actual car at hand.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Daily:

2015 Dodge Ram 1500

Summer only: (winter shop pic)

Impala 64ss rag, 327 manual, 4 on the floor. 2 pump, 6 battery, black magic hydraulics

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah i think that might be AI's first real lowrider

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

hell yeah i think that might be AI's first real lowrider

I’ll post a bunch of updates in its own new thread.. lots of work left to do on it, but all the suspension work is done! :woop:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thrasher posted:

Impala 64ss rag, 327 manual, 4 on the floor. 2 pump, 6 battery, black magic hydraulics

owns owns owns

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Thrasher posted:

I’ll post a bunch of updates in its own new thread.. lots of work left to do on it, but all the suspension work is done! :woop:

Awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Thrasher posted:

My dude :discourse:

[/quote]

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thrasher posted:

That is one sweet 64

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Thrasher posted:

Daily:

2015 Dodge Ram 1500

I really like the tires having a blue stripe like that but I'm pretty sure that's just the protectant that's on it to protect the white walls.
Super rad.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I really like the tires having a blue stripe like that but I'm pretty sure that's just the protectant that's on it to protect the white walls.
Super rad.

Yes it’s just the protective film.. in the spring I’ll wash it off.

Here’s a few more shots..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That Crown Wagon is absolutely wonderful.

Low riders aren't really my taste (and definitely not the "show car"/magazine ones with crushed velvet-and-mirror interiors and chromed engine blocks, but I guess that really applies to any show car/fairground queen) but I very much appreciate the work that goes into them. Bonus points for the 4-speed.

edit: also, the mechanical nerd I really am loves the hydros.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Father-in-law moved to a new apartment and didn't have room for his old truck so we bought it. 1982 Ford F100 with the 300ci I6. Needs wheels balanced and some general stuff but runs and drives good.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Father-in-law moved to a new apartment and didn't have room for his old truck so we bought it. 1982 Ford F100 with the 300ci I6. Needs wheels balanced and some general stuff but runs and drives good.

Oh man, I'm pretty jealous. I grew up with my dad's 85 F-150 with the 300 so that brings back some memories. Looks like the cab corners are in pretty good shape, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When the inevitable nuclear armageddon finally arrives, all that will be left is cockroaches driving rusted out Jeeps with 4.0s, and rusted out F-150s with 300s.

Seriously unkillable engines.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

BigPaddy is correct, this one is from Japan. We've got a thread detailing my experiences and others here in AI err I mean DDATE and various vehicles I've imported so far. Lots of super cool stuff I never knew existed till I started learning about it all.
And yeah, almost everything is in English on everything I've imported (and everything I've looked at), save for this Crown having Japanese on a little third stalk up on the wheel. I assume it's the cruise control but I haven't swung the Google real-time translate app up there yet to give me an idea.

I've got this one on the way too, a 1990 Toyota LiteAce 4WD van with 5 speed manual transmission and wicked cool 'Sky Lite' roof.

OH MY GOD this van.

Between this, the Crown and the Rugger, I'm fully erect. :gizz:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fo3 posted:

I like aussie fords and BMWs because I like punishing myself and I6 best engine and I love trans and cooling problems, and suspension and brake rebuilds. Where do I sign up for a psych eval support group?
I want to join that support group, too. For 3.5 glorious months, I owned TWO I6 (best engine) RWD vehicles in separate hemispheres - a 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 Ute in Tassie and a 1996 BMW 328is in Saskatchewan (the flat empty part of Canada). The Falcon had the brake and tire problems, the bimmer had the cooling and suspension problems (and tire problems and solutions and epic phyrric victories). BUT I6 BEST ENGINE!

Meetings will be on board Qantas flight QF76 from Vancouver to Sydney, monthly, assuming the flight's not more than 2 hours late (mine was in December, due to - of course - mechanical problems). We'll steal all the free wine and storm the upper deck, and sit around telling stories of spin-outs on gravel roads. The cost of plane tickets will not exceed the cost of repairs.

I'm glad to hear that the diff from an AU got put into a much prettier vehicle. I loved "Missed It By One" but those headlights, goddam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

My 04 Tacoma PreRunner TRD 3.4L V6 in Lunar Mist Metallic. 136k miles, I am the original owner.

I absolutely love this truck in every way (Except maybe gas mileage) and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.