Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Okay so I heard there was something important about selling items together. How does this work and how do I do it?

go to the trader, the store with the scales icon. You can sell stuff you get from salvaging as sets for tons of cash and a few boosters. Keep in mind this only applies to items obtained by salvaging. If you're selling equipment then just sell it normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also a tip because this screwed up someone earlier: You cannot sell if you have too many boosters. If your 38k money option is blacked out despite having the items, it means you should sell off or use the listed boosters in the rewards.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Holy poo poo I can not handle this Akhos and Malos fight in Ch. 4. I haven't found things to be very tough so far but I played this for like 2hrs last night and couldn't surmount the fight. I do my best to finish the combos, but I can never get stage three to come up. After researching a bit I started using pouch items to increase my special rate (I'd been neglecting the pouch for most of the game so far). I could only find one item (aux core?) that block the chains and I don't know where to get any more. All my dumb dudes just keep falling at a rate faster than I can generate resources to revive them. I realize the point of the fight is that Malos taunts the team and try to redirect attention to Akhos, but no efforts have been significant enough. Any advice?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Equip anti-taunt cores and focus on Akhos. Obviously if you're not cancelling your first attack to turbo charge your arts, learn now. Give Rex a healer or take control of Nia to spam heal and keep your team alive. It's a gimmick fight that leads into a cutscene.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, I know. Thanks for reminding me. But changing names from the Japanese names that wouldn't have meaning to English names with no meaning doesn't make sense. Why even bother? Homura to Pyra? That one completely makes sense, and the name they chose is a good indication of what the original name was supposed to tell you. Hikari to Mythra? Why didn't they stick with the pun about light, but sure, they picked some special-sounding name. Suzaku to Roc, I guess Roc works but now you're ditched the tie-in with the other blades. Byakko to Dromarch? What's a Dromarch mean? Sure, you might not know what a Byakko is, but you don't know what a loving Dromarch is either so why loving change it? Tell me the significance of the name "Pandoria" and how that actually relates to the character. Same deal with "Brighid." What does Brighid mean in English? Same with "Aegeon." They didn't take a Pokemon approach where all the Pokemon names were basically puns that don't translate very well and so they came up with appropriate English puns, they did that with maybe three characters and then just changed tons of names for the sake of it.

I don't really care about the fact that the names are changed in and of itself, it's more indicative of the larger problem that the English translation of the game took so much editorial power on itself that it makes it difficult to distinguish what else they decided to change or add in, which there has been a fair amount of discussion about.

Most of the english names are references to things too.

Mythra is probably a reference to Mithras, a deity of light associated with Zorostrianism.
Brighid is a celtic goddess.
Aegaeon is a giant or titan if i remember right.
Dromarch is a beast from welsh myth. Nia's accent is welsh, etc.

Would you rather literally call the characters Light and Fire? The japanese script is pretty drat awful.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Spite posted:

Most of the english names are references to things too.

Mythra is probably a reference to Mithras, a deity of light associated with Zorostrianism.
Brighid is a celtic goddess.
Aegaeon is a giant or titan if i remember right.
Dromarch is a beast from welsh myth. Nia's accent is welsh, etc.

Would you rather literally call the characters Light and Fire? The japanese script is pretty drat awful.

You can't appreciate the deepness of my animes unless you understand that in the glorious nipponese characters are named after their traits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shin=Jin

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Sean posted:

Holy poo poo I can not handle this Akhos and Malos fight in Ch. 4. I haven't found things to be very tough so far but I played this for like 2hrs last night and couldn't surmount the fight. I do my best to finish the combos, but I can never get stage three to come up. After researching a bit I started using pouch items to increase my special rate (I'd been neglecting the pouch for most of the game so far). I could only find one item (aux core?) that block the chains and I don't know where to get any more. All my dumb dudes just keep falling at a rate faster than I can generate resources to revive them. I realize the point of the fight is that Malos taunts the team and try to redirect attention to Akhos, but no efforts have been significant enough. Any advice?

if you've just Had Enough, give the anti-shackle item to nia and control her, focusing on keeping up healing throughput. you can eke out a lovely, slow, grindy, stupid win that way no matter how bad your team is.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
wowzers this chapter 7 area just goes and goes

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

Shin=Jin

hosed up that they'd change a katana wielding main character's name to Jin in a Xeno game.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got Herald's core, I feel like I should put it on 5th but they already have an electric blade. How stupid would it be to give it to Nia or 4th?

Also, does every consumable merchant sell a deed to their shop? I'm in chapter 8, 5 starred all the towns and have at least one of every item I can buy but the vast majority still apparently don't have all their items they can possibly sell. I want to get them as early as possible because some of the perks are really nice (faster movement speed, larger item draw-in radius)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I got Herald's core, I feel like I should put it on 5th but they already have an electric blade. How stupid would it be to give it to Nia or 4th?

Also, does every consumable merchant sell a deed to their shop? I'm in chapter 8, 5 starred all the towns and have at least one of every item I can buy but the vast majority still apparently don't have all their items they can possibly sell. I want to get them as early as possible because some of the perks are really nice (faster movement speed, larger item draw-in radius)

five is stupendously powerful with herald, especially because the game will allow you to unequip starter blades after a certain point.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ether cannons are insanely good on the 5th, and there's a way to unequip his story blade ince you get to chapter 8

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Where and when can I initiate the School's in Session quest?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Completely unrelated to everything below, but it really bugs me when that insert song (the one that plays in chapter 3 and 7 and maybe one other time) rhymes "top" and "top."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm a vocal hater of the game's English dub, and playing through the game with the Japanese voices on has given me a weird insight on things. There's a lot of points where the things the characters are saying just blatantly don't line up with what the English text is telling me, and that irks me because I like to complain about writing and now I can't really tell if some of my complaints are about the game itself or with the English translators just deciding to change or put things in. Like for example, Rex's great awesome "Titan's Foot!" catchphrase is an English-only dub choice, the voice lines in Japanese are always just angry grunting sounds. There's also a scene where Five is talking to Poppy and Tora and Poppy pretends to be a dog and most people thought it was really creepy and weird, but the Japanese voice had something completely different going on. That makes me wonder what else they decided to change and makes me constantly question what characters are saying when they say something odd. Like, the dumb "Salvager's Code" schtick that Rex has - is that actually what he's saying or is that something the English dub invented? They also changed borderline every characters name so they seem really really comfortable with changing things as they see fit, so I don't ever feel like I'm just overthinking it when I wonder if the things they're saying are what they originally meant.

Also I just now for the first time heard Tora and Poppy's English voice acting and holy poo poo how could anyone defend that

Yeah, Poppi in particular is good in JP and is just awkward in English. Poppi also lays down some of the best ice burns. It's hilarious when she says something totally vicious in this super calm/neutral tone.

Regarding the Salvager Code stuff, I'd have to check but IIRC it's in the Japanese also. I liked the salvager stuff though, since it's literally the only thing giving Rex a distinct personality outside of "generic shounen protagonist."

nessin posted:

I will say that there are plenty of great voice actors in Japan, even more so just because the size of the industry there, but I think a lot of non-Japanese speakers get stuck in this stance that original/japanese voices always get a huge artificial bump in comparison to English voice overs. Plenty of English voice actors and voice work in games and anime dubs is great, fine, or at the least equal to the performance of the Japanese cast.

Edit:
I think part of it is just not knowing what's going on in the Japanese voice acting. So much of it sounds overly dramatic and exaggerated that you think it's emphasizing the moment perfectly. In reality, that's just the cultural norm in Japan and it's stupid/ridiculous in context if you follow the conversation.

I think it can go both ways. I think people who don't know any Japanese and have watched a bunch of anime (in Japanese) tend to have the sort of bias you describe, but I also think that people who don't watch much/any media with Japanese voices have a bias against the Japanese (like the people complaining about Nia's voice being high pitched or whatever).

I know enough Japanese that I can understand about 3/4 of what's being said, and my interpretation of XC2's original voicework is that it's just very solid and competent, with a few characters that stand out as really good. I don't really have any complaints about it (aside from Vess's and Ursula's voices), while I do have a lot of complaints about the English generally feeling really awkward. For whatever reason, I did not even remotely get this impression from XC1; I loved the English dub in that, and in particular liked Shulk and Fiora's English voices WAY more than their Japanese (their Japanese voices were more or less average). It's hard to articulate exactly what the difference is, but this dub just doesn't seem to flow as well, and I constantly find myself getting distracted by the voicework.

I think a lot of it is related to timing and syncing with real time visuals, because I find that I have positive reactions far more frequently to dubbed games that aren't reliant on matching the duration of the Japanese lines. For example, I've liked the dubs in games like Persona 4/5 or Bravely Default where most voiced lines are ones the player has to press a button to progress and that don't need to squeeze everything into the same periods of time. I'm not sure why I also liked XC1's so much, since it's basically the same type of game as XC2 in this regard. Maybe it was directed differently?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Poppi doesn't take quite the hellish amount of time people expect either: I spent probably 2 hours* running stage 5 of Tiger Tiger and ended up with every Master Mod and the Light core (and several dark cores) playing it on easy mode.

What the poo poo, how? I also played it for at least that long and have exactly 1 Light Core, 1 Master Evasion, and 1 Dark Core to show for it. Fortunately that's basically all I need, since the Light/Dark Core are really the only ones that make a huge difference.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Holy loving poo poo I just realized you can convert parts all the useless parts you get from TigerTiger into ether crystals if you go into the part creation menu and press the Y button. I just got like 15,000 crystals from doing maybe 20 minutes of easy stage 5 runs

Yeah, getting Poppi strong isn't that hard for this reason. It's not too terribly hard to grind up enough ether by selling stuff you don't need and using it to buy the stuff you want. The third formrequires quite a lot of ether to unlock all her slots, though.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 10, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been grinding out TigerTiger and I have mixed feelings about it now after playing it for a longer period of time. On one hand, it's not as bad as I originally thought. You can pretty reliable perfect the first stage and get a lot of points per run, I'm almost done decking out PoppiQTpi and I wasted a lot of time testing the differences between normal/easy and also the different stages so I could have done it even faster.

On the other hand, it's even worse than I imagined because I haven't been able to play Stage 1 at all because I'm still grinding Stage 5 for the Light Element Core and the Muscle Master mod, neither of which I've gotten after 50+ runs. I haven't gotten ANY of the master mods, in fact.

Not only do you need to hit 5-dev but you also need to complete the pink Merc Missions for the continent to make sure all the stores have all their stock because pink missions unlock new shop items. I found it very odd how early in the game it tells you about shop deeds compared to how long it would actually take you to get access to everything you need to get any more than the very first one.

Also, a note about the tutorials. I think another big issue is that almost every tutorial has some sort of gauge that needs filling, but the tutorial always says "now normally this isn't how you play the game but here!" and fills it for you without telling you which one it is or how to fill it normally. Plus, when it does tell you, it's very rarely accompanied by an on-screen indicator and they just refer to it by name, which is also confusing because there's so many mechanics with a similar name. Party Gauge, Party Combo, Driver Combo, Blade Combo, Full Burst, Elemental Burst, Elemental Break. I knew how to do all these things hours and hours and hours before I managed to piece together what the names for them actually were.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Same, except I had to learn what Fusion Combos were by stumbling onto you guys explaining it for me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of development, is it possible to get the deed for Cafe Lutino after it moves to Lefteria? I thought I had done all the merc missions, but I'm missing a deed for that shop.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of development, is it possible to get the deed for Cafe Lutino after it moves to Lefteria? I thought I had done all the merc missions, but I'm missing a deed for that shop.

Hahahahah, about that. Some merc missions are exclusively tied to side quests so not only do you have to do all the merc missions but you also need to do side quests to unlock more missions to unlock more shop items. Xenoblade 2 doesnt give a gently caress about you or your time.

Specifically, I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink the one you're talking about requires the mission where you have to give 90k to the guy who takes money in Fonsett in the beginning of the game and then following his side-quest.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What level is the final boss? I'm currently in the 60s in chapter 8 and I'm wondering at which point I should stop my aimless sidequest wandering and power through the story without completely rolling over every enemy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Amppelix posted:

What level is the final boss? I'm currently in the 60s in chapter 8 and I'm wondering at which point I should stop my aimless sidequest wandering and power through the story without completely rolling over every enemy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm curious. How many successful runs of level 5 did you make in those 2ish hours, would you say? Because my problem is I suck at Tiger Tiger. I suck so bad that I can't clear stage 5 with any kind of consistency. I had a few goes of it today while I was waiting for Merc Mission to finish, and I didn't clear the level even once, in around 5 attempts. Yes, this was on easy mode. I made it to the bottom and died. Every time.

95% or so of them were successful I guess? I had the occasional death where I just got out of sync, or a red shark managed to reach me at which point you're hosed because getting range on them is awful and you're generally screwed if they aren't almost dead. This run was also after I'd messed around with stage 5 a handful of times over previous days and eventually learned the stage's potential layouts.

I also only hit the bonus room once or twice because I didn't look up its location until later on, which cost me a lot of free ether. Its when you see 3 sea urchins, with the first two just off the edge of the screen and the third is against the edge and touching a solid object under it.

IIRC, the only reason to run stage 5 is for Master mods and the Light Core. Other stages are supposed to be better for ether farming. Stage 2 seems really popular for it because it's easy as hell and the bonus room shows up often.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Oh God...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rXyiIX2KvI

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Xenoblade 2 doesnt give a gently caress about you or your time.

Gah, specifically where is the point of no return for said quests / missions? I've put in so much time doing side-stuff, I'm almost afraid to advance the story at all until I've rinsed everything I can :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Side quests don't expire outside of like 2 iirc. And once you beat the final boss, it just pops you out before the area.

There's no penalty for advancing the story outside of starting chapter 7 and finishing it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Evil Fluffy posted:

95% or so of them were successful I guess? I had the occasional death where I just got out of sync, or a red shark managed to reach me at which point you're hosed because getting range on them is awful and you're generally screwed if they aren't almost dead. This run was also after I'd messed around with stage 5 a handful of times over previous days and eventually learned the stage's potential layouts.

I also only hit the bonus room once or twice because I didn't look up its location until later on, which cost me a lot of free ether. Its when you see 3 sea urchins, with the first two just off the edge of the screen and the third is against the edge and touching a solid object under it.

IIRC, the only reason to run stage 5 is for Master mods and the Light Core. Other stages are supposed to be better for ether farming. Stage 2 seems really popular for it because it's easy as hell and the bonus room shows up often.

Uh, bonus room? What bonus room? Nobody told me about bonus rooms! :stare:

But yeah that's exactly why I would be running stage 5: for the prizes you can only get there. For everything else, screw it I'll play the easier levels I can actually complete.... which is not stage 5. I can get to the end maybe one in every 5 tries. Maybe I ought to just forget about it and rely on Four for my tanking needs...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What sidequests expire? Is it something I ought to keep an eye out for?

Also I just got to the giant robot maid fight in the factory.

Chairman Bana is pretty awesome.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tyma posted:

Gah, specifically where is the point of no return for said quests / missions? I've put in so much time doing side-stuff, I'm almost afraid to advance the story at all until I've rinsed everything I can :(

There's a couple of merc missions, I think three, that are technically missable but give no specific rewards and have no side-story components to go with them so they're literally just for the sake of it if you really really care about completion. There's only one point of no return in the game which locks you off from one specific area, but everything in the area gets relocated to somewhere else so in that sense there isn't any "real" missable content in the game. In fact, some things won't be available until you hit the point of no return, so there's more incentive to actually reach it than not. Any quests that would have taken place in the area you get locked out of relocate, and so do all the shops, which will get new associated merc missions to unlock more stock only once they relocate. The point of no return is in the middle of chapter 8, once you beat the first boss fight of the chapter and are about to enter the big dungeon, the trigger is a little ways into the dungeon.

The only thing to actually be worried about if you're worried about getting locked out of content is that once you finish chapter 6, something happens that makes the game a mega pain in the rear end and locks you out of a lot of content temporarily, so you basically have to blow through the entirety of chapter 7 and half of chapter 8 in order to fix it. So, if you're doing side content, do it before the end of chapter six if you don't feel like doing 5+ hours of story all in a row. To give you a hint of where chapter 6 ends without spoiling anything: basically something Bad will happen and you'll be told you have three hours to fix it. Going where the game tells you to go at that point will end the chapter, so totally ignore the pretend time limit and go hog wild.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just met another character with a dub name change and I think it would've been fine to let her keep her original Japanese name (Kasumi as opposed to Haze, even if Haze is still accurate. Maybe changing Kasumi to "Misty" is too on-the-nose for another game on a nintendo system.). Since her design is visually coded as being a very obviously Japanese lady in a Japanese shrine priestess outfit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did Floren's quest tonight and the reveal at the end is hilarious.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DON'T FORGET

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think it's kind of funny, having been spoiled by the thread about Four and her lack of presence in the plot after joining the party. In the start of Chapter 5 if you talk to her she basically says "I'm just hanging out with you guys out of curiosity, tbqh."

Lady's just a spectator with a front row seat and while it's a shame I can respect that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xarbala posted:

I think it's kind of funny, having been spoiled by the thread about Four and her lack of presence in the plot after joining the party. In the start of Chapter 5 if you talk to her she basically says "I'm just hanging out with you guys out of curiosity, tbqh."

Lady's just a spectator with a front row seat and while it's a shame I can respect that.

To be fair, she's keeping an eye on a magical superweapon that has destroyed three entire continents and also is primed to influence said superweapon to not, you know, annihilate her homeland. Quite frankly, it's probably the most important place she could possibly be.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
gigantic satellite destructobeam arrays slaved to 500-year old blades don't kill people, people kill people

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God be praised I have obtained both the Master Strike mod and the Master Muscle mod. Last thing I need from TigerTiger is the light elemental core and I'm done with the RNG components and can just finish grinding the Ether crystals needed. One thing I casually noticed however is that there are Treasure Sensor mods which each boost item drop rates by 100% and I'm wondering if against things like the Arduran if the drop in efficiency would be worth a +300% drop rate.

Also, thinking about Orb Ender: I think Orb Ender might actually be bad in terms of overall usefulness. The damage you output in Full Burst gains a multiplier based on how many total attacks you get in, so destroying orbs faster is worse because you have less time to build up a multiplier. Since there are only eight elements, and you have nine blades, you'll always have an elemental overlap, so as long as your only overlap isn't two elements on the same character, you'll always be able to do a break on the first turn to keep the combo going. An optimal burst with eight orbs on the enemy would look something like this:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

God be praised I have obtained both the Master Strike mod and the Master Muscle mod. Last thing I need from TigerTiger is the light elemental core and I'm done with the RNG components and can just finish grinding the Ether crystals needed. One thing I casually noticed however is that there are Treasure Sensor mods which each boost item drop rates by 100% and I'm wondering if against things like the Arduran if the drop in efficiency would be worth a +300% drop rate.

Also, thinking about Orb Ender: I think Orb Ender might actually be bad in terms of overall usefulness. The damage you output in Full Burst gains a multiplier based on how many total attacks you get in, so destroying orbs faster is worse because you have less time to build up a multiplier. Since there are only eight elements, and you have nine blades, you'll always have an elemental overlap, so as long as your only overlap isn't two elements on the same character, you'll always be able to do a break on the first turn to keep the combo going. An optimal burst with eight orbs on the enemy would look something like this:

That group would have 10 blades to cover elements with, not 9. :eng101:
Mythra/Pyra, Zenobia, and then someone else.

And with 8 orbs your Full Burst is going to do 999999 regardless, unless you full burst with a blade that has an iron chip equipped or something. My group setup has Tora as the one who triggers the Full Burst and I've already mentioned that I have Poppi setup as a murder goddess. Hitting 9999999 doesn't take an elaborate orb-breaking system... or 8 orbs. :black101:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 10, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Activating full burst instantly destroys any remaining orbs and gives you a massive multiplier bonus for each orb destroyed this way, so I don't think you really gain much from trying to make a chain attack take longer

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xarbala posted:

She and her wife are cool and also excellent chefs and that's all I really need out of party members.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is the counter for the 4th affinity level of Agate's affinity tree broken (mine in every area)? I've unlocked the 3rd level and mined on 4 titans, popped into menu to check the progress and it's still at 0/8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

On Brighid as a name, a quick wiki says Brighid is a Celtic goddess of fire, nobility, the hearth and smithing. And also a saint connected to an eternal flame maintained by nuns who may just be a fictional romanisation of said goddess.

So the name actually fits way better than Kagatsuchi who was a fire god whose sole claim to fame is being born on fire killing both him and his mother.