Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Hey, trying to hand-convert a CK2 game to EUIV, basically change borders, royal families, and missions/some events, running into a strange bug. When I load the game, it recognizes all the monarchs as having heirs that I wrote it, but on day one of the game itself, all of the heirs immediately disappear. What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m thinking of playing a multiplayer game with a newbie friend of mine, what pair of nations would be recommended for a friendly co-op campaign? Castile and Portugal?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I’m thinking of playing a multiplayer game with a newbie friend of mine, what pair of nations would be recommended for a friendly co-op campaign? Castile and Portugal?

Portugal and Castille, Austria and Hungary, France and burgundy, muscovy and Poland, Denmark and Brandenburg

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Thinking of pairs where one is strong for the new player and one is more fun and challenging for an established player I came up with:

Ottomans and Tunis
France and The Pope
Poland and Kazan

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Ottomans and Ming

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ternate and Tidore, be spice bros.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
First game since 1.21

Took me way too long to find the professionalism bar. That is all.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don't understand how trade leagues work at all.

I'm allied to Austria who (thanks to my help in all their wars) have become very big indeed. They just Called to Arms me on a trading city *that I created* that's still in my trade league (it has to be, those things can't leave). If I say yes, then my trade league disbands because now I'm at war with everyone in it. OK that makes sense. If I say no though, then I lose the alliance with Austria and…that's it. No CTA to defend the trade league member getting attacked. Which I thought was the whole point of the league. Why have all these OPMs been giving me all that trade power if not for me to defend them?

So A: why is Austria attacking my people. and B: I thought when an ally attacked an ally, you got pulled into the defensive side, not the offensive one.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

doingitwrong posted:

I don't understand how trade leagues work at all.

I'm allied to Austria who (thanks to my help in all their wars) have become very big indeed. They just Called to Arms me on a trading city *that I created* that's still in my trade league (it has to be, those things can't leave). If I say yes, then my trade league disbands because now I'm at war with everyone in it. OK that makes sense. If I say no though, then I lose the alliance with Austria and…that's it. No CTA to defend the trade league member getting attacked. Which I thought was the whole point of the league. Why have all these OPMs been giving me all that trade power if not for me to defend them?

So A: why is Austria attacking my people. and B: I thought when an ally attacked an ally, you got pulled into the defensive side, not the offensive one.

Is the trading city the main target? And are you sure they’re still part of your league?

One thing I found while playing venice in MP is that trading cities haven’t really aged well with the diplomatic changes and so you can get strange things like them becoming tributaries or other nations and ditching your league status or making alliances with people you or your allies attack, resulting in them ditching your league. It’s a real clusterfuck. Trading leagues, especially trading cities need to be exclusive in their relationships

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished a Fezzan Corridors (as Fezzan, get 90% trade power in Safi, Tunis, Timbuktu and Katsina) run. Was pretty fun up until I had to get the last 5% trade power in Katsina. The Ottomans took the entire Alexandria node before I could snag anything other than Sirt, and were pulling a few percent out of Katsina. I was allied to them, and they were loving huge, stretching from the Horn of Africa to Russia and from Austria to Iraq. They were helpful deterring attackers early on and when I had to beat up Spain to stop them sucking power from Safi to Sevilla, but that few percent they were siphoning from Katsina was a major headache. My own CN Cuba was also leeching a few percent with a merchant. What was Cuba doing with a merchant in Katsina? gently caress knows. I wish I could have done something about it as their overlord though. I gave almost every province to the merchants, developing a lot of them to 10 so I could, had every area stated and running the protect trade edict, pumped mercantilism into the 70s, slandered Ottoman merchants, and I still only had 88%. Tried sending trade ships to Alexandria to reduce the Ottos' share of the trade power there (I got up to 30% or so, was already waaaay over naval limit and on 0 sailors due to running tons of ships in Tunis to reach 90% there) and reduce their ability to leech but it made no difference at all as far as I could tell. I guess that's not how it works? Anyway I dropped the alliance with the Ottos with the intention of embargoing them, which caused my CN Brazil to declare for independence and then the cheevo suddenly popped up. Not sure if the war somehow affected Ottoman trade power or wtf happened but at that point I didn't care. Run complete!

tldr: If you're doing Fezzan Corridors make sure to snag some of Alexandria before the Ottomans gobble it up (or fight them for it) or be prepared to do a lot of tedious clicking for very little effect and then maybe get lucky or something

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 10, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For my next game I'm very tempted to plop down a bunch of custom nations with the siberian frontiers idea in the new world and give them a real tech group just to make the colonizing game more interesting. Maybe a Jewish nation in Cape with a colonist NI for the heck of it too. Custom nations are the best. Not sure what existing country I should play as though.

My Lithuania game is kinda just going meh so I want to do something more interesting. Annexing vassals in the beginning gave me a whole bunch of the dumb extra-powerful-for-no-reason infantry regiments.

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009

fuf posted:

alternative: is there a cheat to give myself an extra diplomat who I can just keep free at all times for various actions?

As long as you don't want Ironman achievements, it's easily done.

Find your EU4 folder (probably /steamapps/common/Europa Universalis 4/ in your Steam folder) and go to /common/static_modifiers. In 00_static_modifiers.txt, find the line "base_values" and in the bracketed list change "diplomats = 2" to "diplomats = 3". Then find "ai_nation" just below that and delete the line that says "diplomats = 1".

That removes the extra diplomat for AIs, but gives every nation an extra diplomat to start with. Net effect is +1 diplomat for players. There are a bunch of other ways to do this, but that's the simplest I can think of.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
First game, playing Portugal with only the random new world dlc. As it turned out, the Atlantic was a lot bigger in this game than normal, which put a massive delay on colonising the new world due to colonial range. So I’ve just been taking over stretches of African Guinea and being massively anticompetitive by denying Castille and France anywhere to colonise within their range to stop them leapfrogging onto the rest of Africa! Game’s pretty fun so far, Mali being so outrageously rich makes for a stable source of income each time my truce with them runs out.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Godlovesus posted:

Is the trading city the main target? And are you sure they’re still part of your league?

One thing I found while playing venice in MP is that trading cities haven’t really aged well with the diplomatic changes and so you can get strange things like them becoming tributaries or other nations and ditching your league status or making alliances with people you or your allies attack, resulting in them ditching your league. It’s a real clusterfuck. Trading leagues, especially trading cities need to be exclusive in their relationships

The trading city is the main target (it's the imperial conquest of Dalmatia) and they are definitely still in my league. I had a save from before the attack—loaded it up and found that they were in the league and couldn't be kicked out (as expected). Meanwhile, another trading city I'd created *could* be kicked out mysteriously and shortly before all this went down one I'd created in Asia became a tributary to Ming and left the league.

loving Austria is becoming more and more trouble to have as an ally. After biting the bullet and following them into the war against my own trading partner, they called me into a war against the weakened Ottomans (yay!). We won handily (yay!) and then they handed pretty much all of Greece to my until then loyal March, Corfu (what?). So then *I* got an extensive AE hit while Corfu suddenly became too big to have efficiently as a March (I can't find a way to manage this) and suddenly has 100% liberty desire.

Is there a way to gracefully allow Corfu its freedom? As far as I can tell all the options for releasing them result in a huge relationship hit. But you *want* to get going, jerks.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Huh. Kinda wish the Papal States could create client states with the religious order tag sorta like the knights or the Teutonic order.

But nope. Just republics and monarchies.
Seems like an oversight. Get fixin paradox!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

doingitwrong posted:

The trading city is the main target (it's the imperial conquest of Dalmatia) and they are definitely still in my league. I had a save from before the attack—loaded it up and found that they were in the league and couldn't be kicked out (as expected). Meanwhile, another trading city I'd created *could* be kicked out mysteriously and shortly before all this went down one I'd created in Asia became a tributary to Ming and left the league.

loving Austria is becoming more and more trouble to have as an ally. After biting the bullet and following them into the war against my own trading partner, they called me into a war against the weakened Ottomans (yay!). We won handily (yay!) and then they handed pretty much all of Greece to my until then loyal March, Corfu (what?). So then *I* got an extensive AE hit while Corfu suddenly became too big to have efficiently as a March (I can't find a way to manage this) and suddenly has 100% liberty desire.

Is there a way to gracefully allow Corfu its freedom? As far as I can tell all the options for releasing them result in a huge relationship hit. But you *want* to get going, jerks.

Is there nothing you can do to drop their liberty desire? Pay off debts, support loyalists, develop their provinces?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev Diary with some plans for 2018: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-9th-of-january-2018.1064278/

quote:

We are very happy and grateful that more of you than ever are playing EUIV. Without your continued support and feedback, we would not be writing these diaries. I just checked in the Wiki and this seems to be our 244th dev diary for EUIV which is quite crazy! So once again, thanks for being a fantastic community giving us both praise and critique, inspiring us to do even better. Our hope is that we can continue to bring you fun and exciting moments that you can share with your friends and with the community in 2018.

We had a busy 2017 with three expansion releases; Mandate of Heaven, Third Rome and Cradle of Civilization and two Patches; Hungary and Japan. While all performed well, Third Rome was the one that was met with the most scepticism. It was the one expansion that differed from our typical releases and, in hindsight, perhaps we did not explain the rationale for it well enough. We named it an “Immersion Pack” to distinguish it from our regular, larger expansions that usually cost around USD 20 (or the equivalent in your local currency).

So why did we introduce a new type of expansion? As you may know EUIV is on its fourth year now and some may wonder if we there really are more things that we can introduce to the game. Even though there may be as many opinions as there are players on the value of each expansion that we have released over the years, we believe that there are still aspects of the game that can be improved upon, fleshed out or just given a bit more attention.

And that was the exact purpose of the Third Rome Immersion Pack. We wanted to bring you more tightly themed content focusing on a specific area, in this case Russia, to give the possibility to delve deeper, try out a new nation or new strategies, i.e. “immerse” yourself a bit more into that particular region, all in the hope that we can bring you something that helps keeping the game feel fresh and interesting. We know that a more narrow scope may not interest everyone, but the ambition is that we can give some of you something to sink your teeth into without having to wait to integrate it into a full fledged USD 20 expansion. These larger expansions usually contain quite complex changes to the game mechanics and hence take longer to code, get tested and finally out to you.

Something we learned from the release of Third Rome and your feedback on it, it is that we should have content that can be more universally applied eg: is available for nations other than just those focused on in the Immersion back in order to ensure that once you have finished playing that particular campaign, there is still value from the Immersion Pack regardless of where or what you are playing the next time. This means that even though some of the new content may be primarily constructed to be used in the region/country that the Immersion Pack covers, the basic mechanic should be possible and interesting to use elsewhere in the game.

So why am I spending time discussing Immersion Packs? Primarily because we do plan to release more Immersion Packs going forward, all themed around a region or a concept. It does not mean that we will stop releasing larger expansions, but they will be interspersed with smaller packs. The next DLC coming out will be an Immersion Pack...the question is what region or theme it will focus on? Suffice to say that it will be focusing on one of the most played starting countries and it is in Europe…I am sure that DDRJake will reveal more in next week’s Dev Diary! So stay tuned!

With those words I wish you all an excellent start to the new year and happy gaming!

I do hope the future country-specific expansions are more interesting than Third Rome, which looks kinda dull.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Eldred posted:

Is there nothing you can do to drop their liberty desire? Pay off debts, support loyalists, develop their provinces?

There wasn't a lot I could do. No debts, I didn't see support loyalists as a choice. I tried cancelling Divert Trade but things stayed above 100% regardless because now someone was supporting them. But then the problem seems to have solved itself? I left things for awhile and then checked in on them and their desire had fallen to almost zero. Did they maybe accomplish this by Coring their new acquisitions? Some kind of save game bug? It is a mystery to me.

Have finally had enough of Austria. They annexed a bunch of provinces that are part of Italy (but not yet part of my territory) and then they made my longtime rival Aragon a junior partner while it still held Italian soil. We just can't have that. So now I'm invading poor Ragusa (why Austria allied them is a mystery and a mistake they'll regret) with France's support just so I can start taking land from my erstwhile trusted partner.

It seems like the time has come to give up my Merchant Republic government. Can't quite work out what the process is for doing that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wafflecopper posted:

Tried sending trade ships to Alexandria to reduce the Ottos' share of the trade power there (I got up to 30% or so, was already waaaay over naval limit and on 0 sailors due to running tons of ships in Tunis to reach 90% there) and reduce their ability to leech [from an upstream node] but it made no difference at all as far as I could tell.

This in fact does not do anything; only the land based portion of trade power transfers upstream.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

It seems like the time has come to give up my Merchant Republic government. Can't quite work out what the process is for doing that.

Tank your republican tradition. Get it below 40 and you have a chance of becoming a republican dictatorship when you reelect your guy (below 20 it's guaranteed). Keep it below 50 until your guy dies, and then you'll be a monarchy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks! That's super convenient because it means taking provinces will help speed that up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Talking about republics made me want to do a Milan game, so I fired one up and I'm all ready to become an Ambrosian republic. Suddenly:

:sigh:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Im close to finishing a ck2 game and importing it to eu4, can I edit some files to choose what traditions/NI's/ambition I get?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I’m in the middle of my Aragón game (thanks for helping out with institutions!), and I’m in the middle of a Humilate Rival war initiated by France and fought by everyone who had formed a coalition against me. I am winning handily, and to cripple my enemies as much as possible by raising their war exhaustion. However, I would also like to take one province from France, because it has an important fortress and completes a state. I don’t care about France’s revanchist eating into their war exhaustion, but will taking that province also incur revanchist in the other members of the coalition?

Also, will the coalition disband once the war is over?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Democrazy posted:

I’m in the middle of my Aragón game (thanks for helping out with institutions!), and I’m in the middle of a Humilate Rival war initiated by France and fought by everyone who had formed a coalition against me. I am winning handily, and to cripple my enemies as much as possible by raising their war exhaustion. However, I would also like to take one province from France, because it has an important fortress and completes a state. I don’t care about France’s revanchist eating into their war exhaustion, but will taking that province also incur revanchist in the other members of the coalition?

Yeah anyone you have a truce with cannot be in a coalition against you. After the truce ends they can join back up if their AE is still high enough.

Also, if you are handily winning the coalition war you don't need to worry about crippling them and yourself with WE, just take all the land and money you can get and end it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If France is the primary belligerent, you can sign separate white peace treaties with all the others and they won't get any revanchism. Also countries can't be part of a coalition against you if they have a truce with you, so by definition the coalition will end with the war, at least until the truces are up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Democrazy posted:

You really don’t need to worry that much about the revanchism, everyone who lost gets some but the amount they gain for you taking one French province will be relatively insignificant. Most of the time in single player you can basically forget revanchism exists. It will only last for any significant amount of time if you take an enemy for 100% war score worth, and if you could do that, you can do it again when they have less territory, revanchism bonuses or no.

You might still be the target of a coalition after the war depending on your AE, but it won’t be the same one: all the guys you just fought are truced and can’t join a coalition against you. However, if there were a number of nations in the 40-50 AE range who couldn’t join before, they may start up a coalition now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

revanchism is up there with devastation and naval tradition as something i'm just like. oh yeah that's there

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
France just entered beast mode in my Andalusia game. I had bareeeely managed to win the Pyrenees of them in a war they started (massive loans on my side) and during the truce they PU Aragon (Barcelona, the islands and Italy nation)

Then they loving PU the commonwealth.

Right as our truce goes off they start another war.

350k infantry vs my 40k.

Hello loan city.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PittTheElder posted:

This in fact does not do anything; only the land based portion of trade power transfers upstream.

I figured it might be something like that. Thanks!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Fister Roboto posted:

If France is the primary belligerent, you can sign separate white peace treaties with all the others and they won't get any revanchism. Also countries can't be part of a coalition against you if they have a truce with you, so by definition the coalition will end with the war, at least until the truces are up.

That’s actually an excellent point. And since the coalition against me included almost all major powers, i can go hog wild on France. And if another coalition forms against me after that, I can have them DOW me too before the original coalition members can join to keep the powers against me divided. I have tens of thousands of gold at this point, and can afford as much WE reduction and mercenaries as it takes.

Maybe I was just being too timid.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Talking about republics made me want to do a Milan game, so I fired one up and I'm all ready to become an Ambrosian republic. Suddenly:

Take comfort in that she would most likely not live to adulthood anyway. Also is your male ruler named Maria? Which is the same as his wife?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Filippo Maria Visconti was a real dude. Maria used to be used as a middle name for men in Catholic families — the only other example I can think of is Rilke but it was (is?) historically pretty common.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fister Roboto posted:

Never not go for the Ambrose

You'll be swimming in 6/6/6 Captain Defenders nonstop for most of the rest of the game and any time your Republican Tradition drops to 40-50'ish you'll get an event that lets you pay 1 stability for 20 RT

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The next DLC coming out will be an Immersion Pack...the question is what region or theme it will focus on? Suffice to say that it will be focusing on one of the most played starting countries and it is in Europe

Second Rome incoming

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i bet it's brandenburg or teutonic order

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Maldives Immersion Pack, calling it now

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Node posted:

Maldives Immersion Pack, calling it now
And it will be called Fourth Rome.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Come on Papal State immersion pack including formable Kingdom of God tag with empire rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Detheros posted:

Come on Papal State immersion pack including formable Kingdom of God tag with empire rank.

First Rome