Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
We all know the kid really got tossed because it had awful stats and so wasn't worth a retinue slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

They've already made a Pontus meme of this:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

You guys don't get how this chosen era has been romanticized.

Yea I do, and I've always liked the slightly more grounded stuff to the anime Dynasty Warriors take on things. I'm not too worried though, CA will probably find the right balance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Liu Bei was a bad dad.

You guys don't get how this chosen era has been romanticized.

I get it, I just don't care and hopefully neither will CA.

I don't hate china as a setting but I don't want another Warhammer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it, I just don't care and hopefully neither will CA.

I don't hate china as a setting but I don't want another Warhammer.

good thing mods exist for you then. I'm sure someone will shogun 2 it wrt generals

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

good thing mods exist for you then. I'm sure someone will shogun 2 it wrt generals

Nah I trust CA not to be loving dumb.

You guys can mod your dumb bullshit in if you want.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I bet super hero units were kinda historically accurate. I’ve seen peasant farmers, they’re weak as poo poo with no calcium

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm gonna take a guess that CA - who are already mentioning the centrality of 'champions' to the game and showcasing heroic-type duels in the cinematic trailer - will probably include what you regard as dumb bullshit in the game, because it's been very well-received by the majority of players of Warhammer and they've already taken steps towards 'legendary lords' in historical games since then.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the game doesn't include hero units no one will care, but if it does include hero units a lot of dorks will get angry and pissed off. So I'm hoping it does include hero units/generals.

Also a lot of the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms was explicitly "And then this dude killed, fuckin, 1,000 guys in the battle" so it's not like they're even deviating from the source material.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope someone makes a total realism mod that makes the heroes even more OP.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm gonna take a guess that CA - who are already mentioning the centrality of 'champions' to the game and showcasing heroic-type duels in the cinematic trailer - will probably include what you regard as dumb bullshit in the game, because it's been very well-received by the majority of players of Warhammer and they've already taken steps towards 'legendary lords' in historical games since then.

Guess what you want if it makes you feel better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CharlestheMeltdowner :lol:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well poo poo my one weakness, wordplay.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

https://youtu.be/ivOr-J6dbUQ check out this hero unit

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

CharlestheHammer posted:

Guess what you want if it makes you feel better.

Quoting this for when the game drops. lol if you don't think Heroes will be a major facet of this game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If they are I just won't play it. A shame but it's whatever.

There are still plenty of good TW games out there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
okay

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Do you feel the need to reply to everything or?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't understand how you can be so butthurt about this

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
1000 dudes is stretching it but I'd totally believe a well fed, well trained fighter in the best armour and weapons one could buy having once chopped up 100 starving conscripts over the course of a day, especially if most of them are wounded that retreat and die of infection later because it's 190CE instead of all of them being instant kills.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He doesn't seem particularly upset.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

I don't understand how you can be so butthurt about this

I don't care for it and am making my opinion known in a thread about doing that. I'm not even mad really.

What's so hard to get? I mean I could obsess over however TWcenter is reacting if that makes you feel better.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I would rather you go play other, better total wars and go away until you've chilled out

Dandywalken posted:

He doesn't seem particularly upset.

Considering his touchy comment about my second post in the thread since the announcement, I disagree.

Asehujiko posted:

1000 dudes is stretching it but I'd totally believe a well fed, well trained fighter in the best armour and weapons one could buy having once chopped up 100 starving conscripts over the course of a day, especially if most of them are wounded that retreat and die of infection later because it's 190CE instead of all of them being instant kills.

It's patently ridiculous but also fun & this setting makes a hell of a lot of sense for it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

I would rather you go play other, better total wars and go away until you've chilled out

Considering his touchy comment about my second post in the thread since the announcement, I disagree.

It's patently ridiculous but also fun & this setting makes a hell of a lot of sense for it

Your the one who seems weirdly mad about this.

I mean would you all react so bitterly if I said I don't care for naval combat?

Just take a breath and relax it's just a game.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I lust for Victoria: Total War and don't personally like heroes but I am probably going to play the hell out of this game because the setting looks super rad and I'm excited to see what CA does with it

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your the one who seems weirdly mad about this.

I mean would you all react so bitterly if I said I don't care for naval combat?

Just take a breath and relax it's just a game.

For someone who said he wasn't buying this you sure are posting a lot about it. We get it, you can't get over the hero thing, chill.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

seriously this guy could probably kill a hundred diseased conscripts a day if he was training since childhood.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't care for it and am making my opinion known in a thread about doing that. I'm not even mad really.

What's so hard to get? I mean I could obsess over however TWcenter is reacting if that makes you feel better.

It's not hard to get. It's just funny that you'd write off an entire game in a series you're presumably a fan of because of a single feature. It reminds me of a small child who won't eat dinner because there's broccoli on the plate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Generation Internet posted:

I lust for Victoria: Total War and don't personally like heroes but I am probably going to play the hell out of this game because the setting looks super rad and I'm excited to see what CA does with it

Considering how many politicians, generals, national leaders and even minor officers in that century all seem to be weirdly house hold names of the time I can imagine they can work the heroes thing in most games and setting including the 19th century now.

Remember heroes have been around since ETW in the form of super unique units.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

I literally wrote one word and you flipped out, you massive weirdo

anyway delving further into your hatred of fun is literally the opposite of what I intended so let's talk about something different.

I actually don't know much about 3 Kingdoms China; anyone know likely factions? I'm hoping the titular 3 kingdoms don't start out as massive blobs; was it more fractured at the start of it? Beyond them, how much of a presence were northern nomads and so on? I know Goguryeo around Korea was just starting to establish its self over the game's period but not a whole lot else was going on there; what about Vietnam, Tibet etc?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

hes doing musou moves in that trailer, he definitely will be

wonder how many dynasty warriors references they'll be able to sneak in

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Koramei posted:

anyway delving further into your hatred of fun is literally the opposite of what I intended so let's talk about something different.

I actually don't know much about 3 Kingdoms China; anyone know likely factions? I'm hoping the titular 3 kingdoms don't start out as massive blobs; was it more fractured at the start of it? Beyond them, how much of a presence were northern nomads and so on? I know Goguryeo around Korea was just starting to establish its self over the game's period but not a whole lot else was going on there; what about Vietnam, Tibet etc?

At one early point, 18 lords join together to make a massive alliance. Their leader is a moron who manages to lose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's not hard to get. It's just funny that you'd write off an entire game in a series you're presumably a fan of because of a single feature. It reminds me of a small child who won't eat dinner because there's broccoli on the plate.

Eh I don't think heroes are something you can just ignore if they go the warhammer route.

Unless they do them like Agents which actually would make a lot of sense. Champions already function like how the heroes would. Plus they can be ignored and I am fine with that.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Koramei posted:

Reddit posted:

The Three Kingdoms actually had pretty different approaches to warfare, despite all being mainly Han Chinese.

Wei were the powerhouses, possessing the most "industrial" base and Imperial forces; they'll be the old army of China, so heavy shock cavalry and pikes, maybe bows/crossbows. Maybe chariots as well, but that'd be a stretch. They also hired huge numbers of the tribes who would one day become the mongols, so expect light cavalry and horse archers to be among them. They'd probably have the most 'normal' army, relying on heavy armor and formation-fighting to bring victory.

Shu was primarily a guerrilla-ish force, an "army with a state" rather than a state with an army. They were mobile, adaptive, and generally fairly small in number; I suspect they'll rely heavily on ranged units and ambushes, medium infantry and light cavalry. Later on they'll likely incorporate the Nanman, but I'm not entirely sure how they'd fight. Repeating crossbows and weird things like that, too - after all, Shu invented them. Maybe they'd have a lot of weird elite units that you can only get a few of. Gimmicky poo poo combined with versatile units. Very much doubt they'll be a horde, though.

Wu were mostly focused on their navy, as their primary defense was the rivers they controlled. They'll probably be heavy on shock infantry and archers and lots of boats. Ideally we'd have riverboat combat so that their river fleets could properly fight 'land battles', but we'll see. They were involved heavily with the Shanyue people, and were somewhat culturally distinct; they changed a lot of southeast China, turning it from a 'barbarian' region to one far more civilized in the eyes of the country as a whole. Plenty of room for doing cool stuff with Wu.

It's one of the hinging points of the novel, actually; Wei rules through "heaven", as they control the Emperor and are the legitimate successors legally. Shu rules through "man", because they're a populist leader and folk hero who claim to be the legitimate successors morally. Wu rules through "earth", because they have terrain and wealth on their side, and were different culturally and ethnically from Wei enough that they eventually tried to break from China entirely. Which I hope is included in their campaign; it would be interesting to point out that not everywhere in China agreed with China being a persistent thing yet.

Additional factions could include the Xiongnu proto-mongols, the Jurchens, Tibet (Sadly too early for the awesome Tibetan Empire), the Thai and Nanman... Basically all the tribal / smaller kingdoms who bordered China at the time, though their main interaction was being hired as mercenaries. It's too early for Wokou pirates, I believe, and Korea was going through its own, entirely unrelated Three Kingdoms period. It almost seems like the map will include Iran / Persia and Central Asia in general, which would be interesting, but I'm not sure what reason they'd have for being included. The Kushan would be on their last legs as the Sassanids rise.

There are also the other warlords, of whom there were many - Yuan Shao, Dong Zhou, Lu Bu, and myriad others all seized power at one time or another, and depending when the game starts could be viable factions. Jin seems less likely, except as some kind of late-game crisis or another.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Koramei posted:

You are so weirdly mad about this lol go outside or something,

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

give me full on romanticized three kingdoms. I want my dudes fuckin flyin through the air and poo poo. I'm so pumped for this.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that part about river boats is interesting. As far as i know water combat was basically the boats acting as platforms for guys to fight on with fire being a major factor. seems like they might just have transports as the only real river boats so land armies=naval forces

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

this games gonna give me sooo many rad as gently caress kessen 2 flashbacks, i cannot wait.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

come to think of it riverboat combat would be pretty neat in total war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm so loving excited about Total War. It's really sad how I'm not joking and totally up for being flooded with total war games. I don't care!!!! GIVE THEM TO ME.