Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Roland your post gave me severe whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Count Roland your post gave me severe whiplash.

I probably could have structured it better.

tl;dr: its great, has some flaws but oh well.

Not great for passenger listening.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dan Carlin is great, he's the accessible, enjoyable history we need more of. If He's frustratingly out of date with his material, well, better historians should work on also being better story tellers.

I say that as someone more excited for the next Mike Duncan work than the next Dan Carlin work .

Edit: they're both great, I'm just irritated by an anti Carlin backlash I've seen around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like I said before I think my biggest issue with Dan is he isn't a very good storyteller.

He has a tendancy to repeat himself a lot and sometimes just ramble.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My girlfriend asks me to put the revolutions podcast on when she wants to sleep when we are driving between Phoenix and San Diego

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Count Roland posted:

The fellow is fairly dry, and his humour is that sort of nerdy, not very funny sort. And he also goes a bittt too deep for me sometimes. A committee being created and dissolved and created again and dissolved... well I do glaze over sometimes.

I took me some getting used to. But once you get into it's cool, but his dryness and the super details makes me very wary of doing History of Rome.

English Revolution is good, but not as polished, it's very interesting though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dan Carlin is great, he's the accessible, enjoyable history we need more of. If He's frustratingly out of date with his material, well, better historians should work on also being better story tellers.

I say that as someone more excited for the next Mike Duncan work than the next Dan Carlin work .

Edit: they're both great, I'm just irritated by an anti Carlin backlash I've seen around.

That there's any backlash against Carlin is shocking to me, but he's popular, which means he'll have detractors.

Maybe this has been done to death in this thread, but how/why is Carlin out of date?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Count Roland posted:

That there's any backlash against Carlin is shocking to me, but he's popular, which means he'll have detractors.

Maybe this has been done to death in this thread, but how/why is Carlin out of date?

I've heard he can be biased to some sources over others (I unfortunately can't provide any examples at the moment) but he states he isn't a historian constantly, and honestly if you want the minute details of the events he is describing then it is better to do your own research. Dan is good if you just want the "big picture" of a historical event while doing the daily commute.

All that said, I absolutely loved his podcasts about World War I, the Fall of the Roman Republic, and Wrath of Khans. I didn't know much about the conquests of Genghis Khan and that series in particular had many :stare: moments for me.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Prophets of Doom is based on about two books he could find in English but it's still one of the best podcast eps I've ever heard.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The complaints mostly come out of the excellent Military History thread in ask tell:

"Between constantly comparing the Gauls to Native Americans and the Hans Delbruck worship I think I'm done with Dan Carlin."

"I can't speak to its historical accuracy, but I found it to be middling. Fun enough to listen to, but one of his weaker outings. Dan Carlin dilutes every teaspoon of insight in a cup of inane metaphor. 

That's not to say the insight isn't there, just... gently caress, get to the point."

"Just so long as we don't descend into Dan Carlin-explaining-WWI-in-boxing-analogies-territory" [a response follows] "This isn't the only reason I stopped listening to hardcore history, but it's up there."

I want to stress that I don't think charges that Dan Carlin has short comings are wrong, he's very much on the "popular history" side of things, and I can understand why constant trumpeting of his work can grate, but I want to frame him as a popular history podcaster that most uninitiated people like listening to.

Maybe you'll "out grow" him at some point but I don't like leaving it at " no he's bad" (which is a straw man stance I'm not actually accusing anyone of, I'm just trying go add some complexity to evaluating him).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Antares posted:

Prophets of Doom is based on about two books he could find in English but it's still one of the best podcast eps I've ever heard.

He is really good when he has a focus story to tell.

When he doesn’t it’s really bad

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is really good when he has a focus story to tell.

When he doesn’t it’s really bad

Prophets of Doom always makes me day dream about Dan filling in on the dollop and telling Gareth about old proto Rasputin whatshisname and the reality of sieges.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Where do you even go when you "outgrow" Carlin? I listen to a lot of history podcasts but there's not really anything like him. Inward Empire is really loving good but they make like 1.5 episodes a year.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I regret that word choice but I think the answer is to go broke reading and listening to history books. Also the inward empire guy needs to get on it, if I find out he's quit because of his miserable day job I'll lose it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

He can definitely go off the rails when he gets on a tangent, goes too hard on the similies, or increasingly parenthetical statements. For the longer podcasts this can cause him to lose the thread of the story a bit.

But I give him latitude for this. His shorter podcasts are still several hours long. How can you possible stay on topic, stay focused, stay engaged for that long? As a listener as well? He doesn't always do it that well, but tangents can be good because they give you something different to think on for a moment.

The complaints above seemed to be about Celtic Holocaust, which I think was one of his weaker outings.

Thor's Angels might be my favorite short episode. It had a ton of dumb similes in it, but it ended up being effective and pretty funny in parts.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I really love that first episode of King of Kings and the super old judgement at nineveh episode it grew out of, quite literally entirely because his "evil wizard gives orders" voice is like the perfect way to read pretty much any decrees from ye olde mesopotamia.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Carlin's fun and a good narrator. I don't know how much hard history credit I want to give him, but he admits it and its fine. The Addendum episode where he interviews Mike Duncan is really funny to me because Carlin tries to get him to speculate hard about things and Duncan clearly has trouble getting off the rails and getting too non-factual. They'd make a good "good cop/bad cop" duo for history podcasts.

I tried History on Fire by the way and I couldn't stick it out. The guy tries to be too "epic" with his analogies and it just cheapens the whole thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Where do you even go when you "outgrow" Carlin? I listen to a lot of history podcasts but there's not really anything like him. Inward Empire is really loving good but they make like 1.5 episodes a year.

Inward empire is so loving great. Its the only podcast I donate top, if only to try and get that Pinkerton episode out quicker

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Eltoasto posted:

It's paywalled, but Radio War Nerd was a complete standout for me last year. They do a mix of historical and contemporary stuff, as well as comment on the current state of wars in the world. They have a few episodes unlocked on their Patreon page.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like radio war nerd but like with anything contemporary regarding politics and especially geopolitics, you gotta be very aware of their sources and their biases when going in and that you're probably getting about half the picture, and the half you're getting might often be more down with the Kremlin point of view than not

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My girlfriend asks me to put the revolutions podcast on when she wants to sleep when we are driving between Phoenix and San Diego

See, when my wife and I listen to Revolutions on road trips she stays awake so that she can occasionally interject "Fuckin' Talleyrand, man, that guy gets around!"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, when my wife and I listen to Revolutions on road trips she stays awake so that she can occasionally interject "Fuckin' Talleyrand, man, that guy gets around!"

I'm not saying that we haven't occasionally had moments where we spend a bunch of time reading about Gregor MacGregor after listening to Revolutions but lately there hasn't been any figures like him or Talleyrand for her to latch onto

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bohemian Nights posted:

I like radio war nerd but like with anything contemporary regarding politics and especially geopolitics, you gotta be very aware of their sources and their biases when going in and that you're probably getting about half the picture, and the half you're getting might often be more down with the Kremlin point of view than not

Lol

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

I actually cycle through Duncan's 'The History of Rome' as part of my bedtime routine to get to sleep so the comments about him putting people to sleep amuse me.

I haven't listened to any of the post-Bolivar/Colombia episodes yet but the English Civil War is still my favourite of the Revolutions he's done. I don't understand why he didn't continue with that one up until the Glorious Revolution but he didn't seem to get bogged down in detail with that one as much as he has in the more recent ones. The American Revolution was done a lot better than I thought it to be but that's because I tend to be skeptical of any popular American history thing made by Americans, expecting it to be more hagiography than history. I thought Duncan treated the history quite well there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any short clips of Hardcore History around? A friend just asked for a recommendation, and a 40 second clip of some quote-voice scene would go over well I think.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's you tube videos you could time stamp.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Use the goon edit where Congress legalizes polygamy and cannibalism

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Are there any short clips of Hardcore History around? A friend just asked for a recommendation, and a 40 second clip of some quote-voice scene would go over well I think.

TBH I'd just ask if he was more interested in the fall of Roman Republic, the Mongols, etc and give him the first episode, telling him to pop it in next time he has to spend a lot of time driving/exercising/walking somewhere. I don't think a 40 sec clip will sell him.

Quite.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 12, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megazver posted:

TBH I'd just ask if he was more interested in the fall of Roman Republic, the Mongols, etc and give him the first episode, telling him to pop it in next time he has to spend a lot of time driving/exercising/walking somewhere. I don't think a 40 sec clip will sell him.

Well it turns out he's already a fan so never mind.

Cat Food
Dec 16, 2008
Seconding Radio War Nerd, I really like the two episodes with William Hogeland on to talk about the Whiskey Rebellion and post-Revolutionary Indian wars in the Northwest Territory.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
People who can't stick with Dan Carlin are like a boxer who doesn't have what it takes to make it through a slug-fest, and gets koed in merely the fourth round.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

CountFosco posted:

People who can't stick with Dan Carlin are like a boxer who doesn't have what it takes to make it through a slug-fest, and gets koed in merely the fourth round.

Could the boxers from WWI era and before beat the boxers from WWII and onwards?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Why hasn't he done something on the history of boxing?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Besides needing actually come up with new metaphors, I mean.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Arrhythmia posted:

Why hasn't he done something on the history of boxing?

No, but seriously

I'd definitely listen to a 4 hour history of competitive fighting

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bohemian Nights posted:

If you think radio war nerd is Kremlin propaganda you might be a bloodthirsty imperialist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you think radio war nerd is Kremlin propaganda you might be a bloodthirsty imperialist

Well he is probably American so duh.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

420 Gank Mid posted:

It's in no way one-sided enough to call it propaganda but there's certainly a pro russian slant every time they touch on the syrian civil war

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well he is probably American so duh.

nah just a shill bought and paid for by the atlantic council

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 12, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK, Max Boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's in no way one-sided enough to call it propaganda but there's certainly a pro russian slant every time they touch on the syrian civil war

The reality of syrian civil war has a pro russian slant. :smug: