Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn’t think it was possible, but there’s something even worse than that goddamn Kodak rent-a-miner. Behold the appropriation of #metoo, now on the blockchain! https://legalfling.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
The best thing at CES was Netflix's promotion of their new series "Altered Carbon."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16874692/netflix-altered-carbon-stunt-ces-2018

"Netflix’s idea was to construct an elaborate faux-serious campaign, including a partnership with the drama’s fictional company Psychasec, and the collaborative booth they’re presenting at CES is a pretend exhibition area for Psychasec’s “sleeve” products. A sleeve, in the Altered Carbon universe, is a spare body you can transfer your consciousness into — because, as the tagline smugly proclaims, “no body lives forever.”

They also had hired faux protestors outside the CES halls protesting Psychasec.

Pics I took:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kobayashi posted:

I didn’t think it was possible, but there’s something even worse than that goddamn Kodak rent-a-miner. Behold the appropriation of #metoo, now on the blockchain! https://legalfling.io/
I'm about 50% confident this is a parody or weird political statement rather than an actual app.

50%.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

divabot posted:

I just wrote up how the Kodak KashMiner thing works. I bet you never thought you'd see a genuine NYSE-listed company promoting a blatant Bitcoin cloud mining scam. I would go on media and call this the word "scam". Holy poo poo it's amazing.

Goddammit Kodak. They actually have figure out how to make money on selling film still, and they have to waste all that on poo poo like this. Stop loving it up with poo poo like this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

The best thing at CES was Netflix's promotion of their new series "Altered Carbon."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16874692/netflix-altered-carbon-stunt-ces-2018

"Netflix’s idea was to construct an elaborate faux-serious campaign, including a partnership with the drama’s fictional company Psychasec, and the collaborative booth they’re presenting at CES is a pretend exhibition area for Psychasec’s “sleeve” products. A sleeve, in the Altered Carbon universe, is a spare body you can transfer your consciousness into — because, as the tagline smugly proclaims, “no body lives forever.”

They also had hired faux protestors outside the CES halls protesting Psychasec.

Pics I took:

How long have you been working for Netflix sir

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

nm posted:

Goddammit Kodak. They actually have figure out how to make money on selling film still, and they have to waste all that on poo poo like this. Stop loving it up with poo poo like this.

the KodakCoin thing actually gets worse - it's a slightly-rebranded paparazzi ICO. Absolutely top people on this one.

I mean, at least it involves photography ...

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Punkin Spunkin posted:

dont care, this is how I found out my favorite book series made it to TV so thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm about 50% confident this is a parody or weird political statement rather than an actual app.

50%.

Why would you think it's parody when it's something bitcoin people repeatedly attempt to do (make a blockchain to prove that hypothetical sex can't be tricked by "false rape accusations")

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

divabot posted:

the KodakCoin thing actually gets worse - it's a slightly-rebranded paparazzi ICO. Absolutely top people on this one.

I mean, at least it involves photography ...

I'm going to go buy a thousand rolls of portra and show them in my freeze for when this poo poo crashes and burns and I can't buy decent color negative film anymore.
Or maybe that is the sneaky plan, to make us all think kodak is going down so we all buy a poo poo ton of film.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, Uber, you've done it again.

Also, that "Silicon Valley orgy party"? It was:

quote:

* run by the VC firm
* organized by firm staff
* the official afterparty of their big annual summit
* at a general partner’s house
* attended by (at least 2) other general partners
* attended by firm staff
* serviced by shuttles bringing attendees from the summit to the party
* attended by portfolio founders, CEOs, and executives

I'm speechless. I'm flapping my hands in the general vicinity of the keyboard.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kobayashi posted:

this is gold

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

this is gold

Isn't this a loving Chapelle Show skit?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

mycomancy posted:

Isn't this a loving Chapelle Show skit?

It's actually an old hat. There were already various apps to document consent and there's nothing new blockchain might bring to that particular table.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Randler posted:

It's actually an old hat. There were already various apps to document consent and there's nothing new blockchain might bring to that particular table.
But do those apps allow hackers to steal consent contracts and then demand people sleep with them?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Elias_Maluco posted:

this is gold

"Legally binding" :stonk:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Didn't the Girls Gone Wild guy have all the women he hooked up with sign a contract because he was paranoid about false rape accusations?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Didn't the Girls Gone Wild guy have all the women he hooked up with sign a contract because he was paranoid about false rape accusations?

Not to mention true ones.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/frozenblueber/status/951525438458867712

lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How could anyone have seen that one coming?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

How could anyone have seen that one coming?

well, that's the problem

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man people are loving stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they should have incorporated a blockchain somewhere in the app so it would have worked better

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The rhythm method is awesome if you want to reduce your chance of getting pregnant without reducing it TOO far. Moderation in all things okay?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Funny thing about your comment is that the company I'm working on now, is currently building a product whose website/app will have a "Netflix Feel."

The other thing I'd say about CES (and no, I don't work for them either) is that Amazon Won.

There are tons of "Alexa Enabled" products.

Shows the value of an open API, and lots of developer resources (including free hardware).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andrast posted:

Maybe they should have incorporated a blockchain somewhere in the app so it would have worked better
Is BabyBlock obviously enough a combination blockchain and birth control method, or do we have to go for BabyChain and the app picture is a baby behind a lock and chain?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Recode/status/951546821305913344

:bisonyes:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishmech posted:

Why would you think it's parody when it's something bitcoin people repeatedly attempt to do (make a blockchain to prove that hypothetical sex can't be tricked by "false rape accusations")
I'm not in the habit of closely studying the sexual behaviors of bitcoin people

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Dropbox is going public.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

man people are loving stupid.
Algorithm are magic. We should start a startup selling algorithm beans.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Where is the blockchain based birth control?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

funkymonks posted:

Where is the blockchain based birth control?

its called "bitcoin"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

boner confessor posted:

its called "bitButtcoin"

:colbert:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, if there's one person that could get stuff like this wrong it's him

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/951574149532733441

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

nerdz posted:

To be fair, if there's one person that could get stuff like this wrong it's him

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/951574149532733441

What must it be like to have to attend a meeting with your boss and be told that you're going to go out on camera and make an excuse for his sexual proclivities to the world?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that the ultra-wealthy and powerful are having huge drug-fueled kink orgies.

Like, tale as old as time, why is this news? :shrug:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I gotta make a correction: Pretty sure the Soylent guy would also mistake the sex party for a costume party, he would also decline the invitation for both

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Rime posted:

I just don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that the ultra-wealthy and powerful are having huge drug-fueled kink orgies.

Hi. It’s not the sex. It’s the fact that Alex parties are where deals are made and business relationships are formed and they are absolutely done in such a way to pressure women into getting hosed for access to capital.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Rime posted:

Dropbox is going public.

Is this good or is it likely to result in them shutting down in two months?

e:

Trevor Hale posted:

Hi. It’s not the sex. It’s the fact that Alex parties are where deals are made and business relationships are formed and they are absolutely done in such a way to pressure women into getting hosed for access to capital.

Is Alex party some new slang I'm unfamiliar with?
e2: Oh I bet it's "sex party" through autocorrect

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rime posted:

It's good not to forget how hosed up these people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Moatman posted:

Is this good or is it likely to result in them shutting down in two months?

e:

Is Alex party some new slang I'm unfamiliar with?
e2: Oh I bet it's "sex party" through autocorrect

Yes. Autocorrect cock up.