Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

So if I got a FX-4130 it won't have the boot problems with this patch? Windows Update says KB4056892 is gonna install on my next restart so I'm a little nervous as someone who's hardware-illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

a medical mystery posted:

So if I got a FX-4130 it won't have the boot problems with this patch? Windows Update says KB4056892 is gonna install on my next restart so I'm a little nervous as someone who's hardware-illiterate.

Microsoft already halted updates for the affected systems, so if you are being offered updates, it should be OK to proceed with them.

You keep everything important backed up anyway, right?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah I push pretty much everything I do on the computer in question to repositories on-line, and even if those go under it's all hobby stuff and not work stuff so idc. Good to know it's most likely safe though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The processors in question were Athlons and Semprons. Not sure why the Verge felt the need to omit that...

Marketing names aren't really meaningful, which generations of Athlons and Semprons? Recent ones, or do you mean an Athlon 64 from 2004?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's the latter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Does this affect my 1.4ghz thunderbird with the screaming fan from 2000? I used that at some point to write an image to a compact flash card. It may not have been in this decade, but it's definitely mission critical!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rexxed posted:

Does this affect my 1.4ghz thunderbird with the screaming fan from 2000? I used that at some point to write an image to a compact flash card. It may not have been in this decade, but it's definitely mission critical!

Better switch to a 486, just to be safe
http://yeokhengmeng.com/2018/01/make-the-486-great-again/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
First 2700u benchmarks showing up

https://www.notebookcheck.net/First...n.277336.0.html

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

They can pry my 68030 from my cold, dead hands.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I still have a couple of 486 laptops with colors screens and everything. Time to sell them to bitcoiners for "safe" coin storage.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Rexxed posted:

I still have a couple of 486 laptops with colors screens and everything. Time to sell them to bitcoiners for "safe" coin storage.

No USB ports to epoxy? It's basically a hardware wallet!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: No meltdowns here

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: No meltdowns here

Yes please :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So are these new Ryzen desktop CPUs with graphics included going to be made obsolete in three months for Zen+? If I’m running a PC that’s a glorified torrent box that also runs Handbrake a few hours a day, which do I want?

I’m thinking the R3 with graphics is looking nice, it if Zen+’s 3 also has graphics then might as well wait.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

So are these new Ryzen desktop CPUs with graphics included going to be made obsolete in three months for Zen+? If I’m running a PC that’s a glorified torrent box that also runs Handbrake a few hours a day, which do I want?

I’m thinking the R3 with graphics is looking nice, it if Zen+’s 3 also has graphics then might as well wait.
depends, if you're looking for a discrete card (a really bad time to do so imho) they will be made "obsolete" in 3 months, if you just need an office home kids pc with no frills there really is going to be no better option for a while as it has the happy medium of adequate single core speed and playable framerates at the "bare minimum pleasant to look at" graphics settings and the next APUs with zen+ will be 8-10 months off

zen+ is going to be a 200-300mhz clock speed bump over zen so it's basically the average intel improvement

if you need a chip now get it now, otherwise you can continue to play waiting game for a while longer

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I forgot that Zen+ will be rolling out with the 7's first, so the wait for a 3 would probably be a long while. Think I'll just look into Raven Ridge.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

it if Zen+’s 3 also has graphics then might as well wait.

I don't think thats gonna happen. Judging by the model numbers, release dates, and what we can guess about Zen+ performance, it seems real likely that the APUs they are launching now will be their integrated graphics options for a long while.

If you want integrated graphics, go ahead and get em. If you want to do a box with a discrete graphics card, probably better to wait.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Given the apparent difficulty in making a Zen mITX board I'm curious to see if we get any Zen APU laptops. I'd definitely be in the market for one if someone pulls it off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isndl posted:

Given the apparent difficulty in making a Zen mITX board I'm curious to see if we get any Zen APU laptops. I'd definitely be in the market for one if someone pulls it off.

You seem to be conflating Zen with Ryzen, which isn't quite 1:1.

The name Zen is equivalent to Intel's Kaby Lake, Cannon Lake, Hades Lake, and so forth.

Ryzen 3/5/7 appears to correspond to the Core part of Core i3/i5/i7 etc.

There are no problems with making Zen ITX boards, as I think every major desktop board manufacturer has one. The thing is that they're all Socket AM4, which is Ryzen 3/5/7.

Threadripper boards (read: i9/Extreme), on the other hand, that's where the difficulty lies, due to the monster socket.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 11, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I really, really want to see someone crank a 2200/2400G to it's max (4.2Ghz CPU, 1.7Ghz iGPU, 3600Mhz DDR4), see what power consumption and performance figures end up being. Apparently it's like 50% over stock with overclocking the GPU and 39% with overclocking the RAM to 3600Mhz, and if they're making the claim a 2400G can compete with a GT 1030 then holy poo poo the new APU could be budget kings, especially the 2200G basically making GBS threads on everything within 50$ of it.

I think there is room for a 2100G(4C/4T/6CU), 2300G(4C/8T/8CU) and 2500GX(4C/8T/11CU Golden Sample) personally, and Bristol Ridge can stick around but only as sub 75$ solutions (like a 25$ price cut across the board). IMHO AMD still needs sub 100$ answers in the CPU market.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I kind of get the feeling that Ryzen APUs may already be golden samples or some other high-performing bin to begin with. These are allegedly 1-CCX designs, after all, so they can't rely on a second CCX to bring the usable core count up. And they certainly can't really goose the voltage on APUs to make them stable either, especially not if they're going into notebooks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

or high-leakage parts unfit to idle at 1.5w

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You seem to be conflating Zen with Ryzen, which isn't quite 1:1.

The name Zen is equivalent to Intel's Kaby Lake, Cannon Lake, Hades Lake, and so forth.

Ryzen 3/5/7 appears to correspond to the Core part of Core i3/i5/i7 etc.

There are no problems with making Zen ITX boards, as I think every major desktop board manufacturer has one. The thing is that they're all Socket AM4, which is Ryzen 3/5/7.

Threadripper boards (read: i9/Extreme), on the other hand, that's where the difficulty lies, due to the monster socket.

Ah, my bad. I am indeed conflating them, for some reason I was thinking there was more similarity between the two (because they released at roughly the same time?).

If there's no difficulties getting the Zen APUs in smaller form factors then the offerings coming out this year ought to be pretty enticing indeed. :)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the gimmick thin client that can video games might actually be a reality, moreso if they come out with 35w E skus

what would really be ~the good poo poo~ is a mini STX AM4 board though

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Wonder if the AMD APUs will spur Intel to release CPUs with Iris Pro 640/650/680 to desktop (lolno).

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I kind of get the feeling that Ryzen APUs may already be golden samples or some other high-performing bin to begin with. These are allegedly 1-CCX designs, after all, so they can't rely on a second CCX to bring the usable core count up. And they certainly can't really goose the voltage on APUs to make them stable either, especially not if they're going into notebooks.

That still means they have room beneath for more SKUs though, such as Athlons and Dual Cores. A 2C/4T 6CU for 55-65$ would just ruin everything but like the Celeron G39X0 in Intel's budget lineup, and locked 4C/4T Athlons in a similar price range would be go tos as well.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Combined thread when?

How fast is a 4ghz 1700 in single thread compared to a 4.5ghz 2600k?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Combined thread when?

Roughly the same as Haswell, so 20-25% faster than Sandy Bridge clock for clock.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Combined thread never, we'd get into way too many loving fights.

Let them look down their noses over there, and us laughing our asses off at their continued mismanagement at the C-level over here.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PerrineClostermann posted:

Depends on what you are doing. For daily use, especially in old games, you won't see much difference in my opinion. May even be a slight regression.

1700 isn't really the thing you want for pure single threaded workloads imo, its value is really in being able to kick all 16 threads into gear.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought for a long time that the threads being merged would own, but I totally agree with this now.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I thought for a long time that the threads being merged would own, but I totally agree with this now.

I mean, of course things are going to go bad posting about AMD in the Intel thread, but there's less reason to be lovely if it's just the CPU thread.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it would actually legitimately own just not in a productive way

we'd have x86 thunderdome and people being constantly probated like pre-D&D fishmech

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it would actually legitimately own just not in a productive way

Thats..... a good point

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some people just want to watch the world burn, after all.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

vvvvvv April.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I'm aware that Ryzen refresh is coming in April, but when is it likely we'll get some benchmarks/leaks, etc?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Thats..... a good point

What the gently caress happened to your cat, man?

e: Oh, new bad taxidermy!

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 12, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Measly Twerp posted:

What the gently caress happened to your cat, man?
Someone virtually taxidermied her!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't see it? Intel users seem to be pretty self-aware of the company's failings. Nobody is deluding themselves into thinking they actually like thermal paste or that Meltdown wasn't a big deal. I was an Intel fanboy for ages and particularly in the 2000-2005 period where it really didn't make much sense to be one (at least I jumped on Prescott and Coppermine instead of the launch P3s/P4s), but I've spent most of the past 24 hours trying to find out if the budget Ryzen motherboards are stable and finding that nobody in charge of having tech opinions actually buys them. :shobon:

Given that I'm looking at a Raven Ridge APU, I guess I should assume none of the motherboards available now will work with it out of the box?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They may need a BIOS update, which I think requires having a CPU in there already? Nobody will know for sure until they launch. I don’t have much call to look at A320 boards for much of anything - B350 boards allow for overclocking and can be had relatively cheaply (mine for my R7 1700 + GTX 1080 was like $80 - Asus B350 Prime). Hopefully the B350 boards will allow for GPU overclocking on the APU.

The last few pages of the Intel thread since Meltdown have been kinda :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I’m looking at A320. We’re talking about a machine that will run Linux, Plex, and a couple web servers 24 hours a day, with a few hours of Handbrake here and there. Overclocking is totally unnecessary and maybe even counterproductive since stability and low power use are the two most important factors.

ASRock has one with an M2 slot and an HDMI out (the two things I’ll need), apparently the VRMs break a lot with CPUs above 65W because Newegg has this big disclaimer that the official site doesn’t and suggests Newegg is tired of getting them back. But they are only $40, and we’re trying to do this as low cost as possible.