Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RareAcumen posted:

On the other hand, I hate change and much prefer him looking like a Fist of the North Star character.

But RE5 was the change!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

esperterra posted:

But RE5 was the change!!

RE5 is also where I personally first got introduced to Resident Evil. So I have no attachment to normal human Redfield. I'm all about 'bulked up to battle Wesker' Redfield.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well, that's fair tbh.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

Same company the chems that blinded Matt came from, too, afaik.

TCRI?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a14443788/jon-bernthal-the-punisher-cover/

An excellent (if deeply weird) interview with Berenthal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

Across two coasts and three days, Bernthal told me tales of his boyhood that included more than a few moments of dysfunction and rage. He blithely confessed to things other people would keep hidden, and he seemed to do it not out of a sense of machismo but with a sense of wonder that the world had given him such a long leash.
I'm sorry I'm sorry I just can't let this go

It's really weird how some people, incidentally white and with rich parents, are allowed to get away with being dysfunctional wrecks into their 30s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd be blown away if someone playing the Punisher didn't have a weird interview.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really weird how some people, incidentally white and with rich parents, are allowed to get away with being dysfunctional wrecks into their 30s

isn't Bernthal Jewish?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

HIJK posted:

isn't Bernthal Jewish?

What, jews can't be white?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What, jews can't be white?

It was my understanding that conversions to Judaism are relatively rare, so if you're of European descent then you can pass but are probably still part of a separate ethnic group if you're Jewish. That's barring the small populations that convert like the Kaifeng Jews. There is of course a distinction between the ethnicity and the religion which is what I'm trying to remember about Bernthal, but I can't really be assed to look it up...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Halloween Jack posted:

dang u got im

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Aphrodite posted:

Jessica's strength in the series seems to be at about the level of a top strongman competitor.

Those guys can lift cars and break locks and stuff too.

This is a few pages back, but she's way stronger than that. She snapped a ceramic sink in half basically without even trying, in a flashback no less. I'd give it even odds she's probably quite a bit stronger in the current modern day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Plus the whole super jumping/limited flight thing.

Hell, she can snap a man's neck with one hand, I doubt any strongman competitor could do that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

But is she strong enough... to fall in love again?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

quote:

A little later, the Bernthal clan hit an elaborate haunted house set up by a Hollywood special- effects guy who lived in town. The boys were less than afraid. When a chain-saw-wielding ghoul jumped out at Bernthal’s middle child, the kid punched his assailant in the testicles.

:lol:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Berenthal's Kid: My dad could beat up your d-

*Berenthal roars at opposing dad, regular non-Punisher dad shits self and dies

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

They live in California, it never gets that far. Berenthal's kid tries but all the other start making fun of him for how much water he keeps wasting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Knowing that Berenthal might be taken over by the Satsui no Hado at any point is sure to add a lot of tension to the second season's filming.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Luke Cage may not be the most African Marvel IP, but is it the blackest Marvel IP?

Now I’m curious if there’s any data on Chinese Netflix. Do they have Netflix in China?

People are afraid Black Panther will bomb in Asia because black leading films tend to do super bad over there, but a lot of people think comic book heroes transcend race for enough people that it won’t matter.

I felt like the death of Cottonmouth was also the end of a lot of very black-American identity stuff that Luke Cage has going on. After he dies we spend less time in Harlem, we get less music, we get fewer flashbacks of the old hood, it goes off the rails into Saturday morning cartoons very fast.

I’m curious as to whether the Afro-Futurism stays front and center for the film or if Black Panther will set the stage and then just revolve into “Black Iron Man but wait not War-Machine”

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 10, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Luke Cage may not be the most African Marvel IP, but is it the blackest Marvel IP?
His story is about how he's so scary, the police get special military equipment just to murder him. So yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

His story is about how he's so scary, the police get special military equipment just to murder him. So yes.

Certainly felt like the most realistic part of that show to me. If Superman was black, the police would be the first in line to buy kryptonite bullets.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bust Rodd posted:

I felt like the death of Cottonmouth was also the end of a lot of very black-American identity stuff that Luke Cage has going on. After he dies we spend less time in Harlem, we get less music, we get fewer flashbacks of the old hood, it goes off the rails into Saturday morning cartoons very fast.

I think one of the ways they could have made that second half of Luke Cage better is if Luke's trip home wasn't just one scene and a flashback but if he had actually spent time there, with his dad, exploring Diamondback's past, and kind of just dealing with the place Luke grew up and how it differed or was the same as Harlem. But instead we spent more time in some mad scientist's barn lab and the full flashback episode, and yeah, it ends up breaking up the flow of the series quite a bit before they head back to Harlem.

They also probably could have just not left Harlem but it always struck me as weird the way they had him go home and then just turn right back around.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Cottonmouth was a good enough character to last all season. Maybe only kill him in the second to last episode.

But no, we need three super villains so let’s jump straight to the rocket launcher scene.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I live in Alabama and white people in my facebook feed are complaining how white people couldn't get away with a title as blatantly racist as Black Panther.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

cosmicjim posted:

I live in Alabama and white people in my facebook feed are complaining how white people couldn't get away with a title as blatantly racist as Black Panther.

:saddowns: don’t white power and black power mean the exact same thing

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Billzasilver posted:

No. They. loving. Don't.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
What does any of that have to do with a blaxploitation comic book hero written by white guys?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Billzasilver posted:

Source your quotes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cosmicjim posted:

How do they feel about Snow White, White Christmas or, especially, White Hunter, Black Heart?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

White Tiger is also a character in the Marvel universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tiger_(comics) Perhaps they should try getting them to bring that guy/girl back.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Weren't they setting up Claire Temple to be White Tiger in Iron Fist?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

How do they feel about Snow White, White Christmas or, especially, White Hunter, Black Heart?

These are people who think The White Shadow is a race traitor.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Weren't they setting up Claire Temple to be White Tiger in Iron Fist?

I think Jessica name-dropped one of the civilian identities of the White Tiger in her series.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

My go-to when I don't actually feel like arguing with dumb whites about this is to just point out the character was named right before the movement.

but if you really wanna gently caress em up, drop that the Black Panthers had lunch programs and introduced various social services that their communities desperately needed and the government refused to do for us, because they didn't give a gently caress about black citizens. They also allied with various Asian-American community groups. (Including Yellow Peril, which is still one of the dopest "We're taking this back, gently caress you honkies" group names ever)

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mean wasn't black panther named for the 761st tank battalion from world war 2? not that racists care about the contributions of black people, but its worth noting

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Renoistic posted:

I rewatched Drunken Master (Jackie Chan movie) yesterday. Today I watched the Iron Fist episode where he fights a Chinese dude doing the drunken boxing thing.

It hurt, physically, to watch. It seems like they literally gave the choreographers and actors a day or two to prepare, and then let a director who haven't ever watched a decent Kung-fu flick handle the rest. It's interesting to watch though, just to know how bad the style can look when noone knows what they're doing.

From the last page, but you were generous. 15 minutes of practice before the cameras started to roll.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I keep seeing Polygon posting about how awesome the soundtrack is going to be, but so far I've not seen any pan-African artists on there, only American ones. Perhaps the pan-African ones are not black enough to get people excited.

To be fair, they haven't revealed the entire track listing yet, and we are watching marketing happen in slow motion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And I was really looking forward to people wondering why all these African rappers were singing in French.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If Luke Cage found heavy enough stuff- like vault doors or something, I dunno- could he get totally shredded like Hugh Jackman or does the unbreakable skin thing mean no muscle changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This came up when my wife and I watched the Defender's, but you don't want to make Luge Cage too strong.
Otherwise he'd eclipse Jessica Jones if he is as strong as her AND has bullet proof skin.