Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

oddium posted:

i bet it's brandenburg or teutonic order

I will pay $10 for a Prussia immersion pack if they'll finally just change the color to Prussian blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Xinder posted:

First Rome

I tend to name my Pope games "Actual loving Rome" :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Time travel DLC entitled "Zeroth Rome".

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

hailthefish posted:

Greece focused named "Pre-Rome"

Or a Native American OPM focused expansion named "Roam Rome"

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 11, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Byzantine "Actually Not Rome". :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

hailthefish posted:

That'd be Troy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Papal Domain: Xrd Rome BURST Holy[est]

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

EU4: Big Blue Blob

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

for whatever reason my stupid loving ottoman ally supported the independence of my vassal. now we are roughly equal in strength and have a very good relationship so i have no idea why they did this but they refuse to take it back despite us fighting in many wars together. what the hell

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Im close to finishing a ck2 game and importing it to eu4, can I edit some files to choose what traditions/NI's/ambition I get?

Yeah it should be super simple to do too. In the importer files look in common\ideas, there'll be a few .txt files, in one of those will be the stuff for your nation. Just change the stuff around in that (base it off what other nations get if you want ideas, and you can pile on as many modifiers as you like) and you're good. If you wanna go deeper you can customize the text for it too in localization\something.yml, just look for the strings from the ideas .txt in one of the importer .yml files/ make your own.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

420 Gank Mid posted:

Never not go for the Ambrose

You'll be swimming in 6/6/6 Captain Defenders nonstop for most of the rest of the game and any time your Republican Tradition drops to 40-50'ish you'll get an event that lets you pay 1 stability for 20 RT

Yeah I ended up keeping her, because the Ambrosian Republic event lets you keep your current monarch.

Then I tanked my RT, thinking that going as a republican dictatorship would be better, since I could just get my RT back up to 50 before she dies and I'd go back to Ambrosian.

What I didn't realize is that being a republican dictatorship almost completely prevents you from accruing RT, even through the strengthen government button. I enjoyed a couple decades with +10% morale and a god queen anyways.

But then she got the -20% improve relations trait, which is without a doubt the worst one to get in northern Italy. My expansion was severely hampered.

Then she died, I reverted to a feudal monarchy, and I was left with a 1/2/1 poo poo for brains with a weak claim.

I made a terrible mistale.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
aaaaa, i know better than to trust ai allies, but here i am making the same mistakes again and again

Started a Portugal game, just want a mostly laidback game of colonizing and African expansion. Maybe I'll try to play the PU game for funsies while I'm at it.

Oh hey, might as well snatch Granada out from under Castille's nose. Hell, we're allies so I can even exploit Castille's help to do it. I'll need their huge force limits in case Morocco and Tunis manage to get troops across to Iberia. In return I'll throw them a province and vassalize the rest myself.

Oh no, here they come across the strait. I should throw my armies at them and keep them from getting an Iberian foothold in this war and prolonging it into a hellwar. Castille what are you doing? Get that one regiment off their capital. That's my siege goal. I can't vassalize them if-oh hey you just fully occupied Granada. Thanks, dicks. Now I wasted a no-cb for no reason.

It's only 7 years in, so I'm restarting and leaving Granada alone next time unless I feel comfortable taking them on without allies. I just hate the idea of declaring a no-cb and not even being able to get anything out of it.

e: Also I have Mandate of Heaven running but I can't find this diplomacy macro I've heard so much about. I'm probably just blind, but can someone point me at it, please?

Xinder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 11, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You know the menu you use to build troops and buildings and poo poo like that? There’s now a bird tab on there

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Democrazy posted:

That’s actually an excellent point. And since the coalition against me included almost all major powers, i can go hog wild on France. And if another coalition forms against me after that, I can have them DOW me too before the original coalition members can join to keep the powers against me divided. I have tens of thousands of gold at this point, and can afford as much WE reduction and mercenaries as it takes.

Maybe I was just being too timid.

Another benefit of separate peacing them is you can stagger truce end times which makes it even harder for them to go for a rematch.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Juggling truce timers to avoid a massive coalition forming on your rear end is hilarious. I think the highest I've ever gotten was around 500 AE on a single country, but they never formed a coalition because I'd always DOW on them the second the truce expired.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Juggling truce timers to avoid a massive coalition forming on your rear end is hilarious. I think the highest I've ever gotten was around 500 AE on a single country, but they never formed a coalition because I'd always DOW on them the second the truce expired.

the aggressive expander has logged on

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oddium posted:

the aggressive expander has logged on

Wanna see that map

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skasion posted:

You know the menu you use to build troops and buildings and poo poo like that? There’s now a bird tab on there

Yep, that explains it. I opened that for like a second to build up to my force limits at the start and hardly looked at it. I was looking all over the actual diplomacy tab thinking it had to be there somewhere. Thanks.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Next expansion is an immersion pack for Aztecs. Sunset Invasion 2: Electric Boogaloo

calling it now

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A ten buck flavor pack focused on making new world natives fun would be cool

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I would actually buy an India Immersion Pack.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

I would actually buy an India Immersion Pack.

Jainism really needs to be fleshed out.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do I Karaman? Any guides I find say to smother Ottomans with a web of alliances but I can't seem to be able to ally any of the big players - max improved relations, diplo rep advisor and one diplo rep mission reward, army built over force limit and Mamluks are still 10-15 points away to accepting a Royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Hungary/Poland even less so.

The only guys I can ally are the 2 beyliks next to me, Cyprus, and Candar. Maybe QQ sometimes. Just not at all enough to stand against OE once truce is over.

What am I missing?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Thinking you can stop the mean green killing machine.

Also it's probably England or France getting an immersion pack. Or Sweden!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Tunis DLC: Roma Delenda Est

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Be sure to set you attitude towards the Ottos to threatened. That gives you +20 to getting an alliance with their enemies.

Getting the Mamluks on your side is definitely pretty tough. Reman's video on the achievement starts off saying that they always start friendly towards you, but that's definitely not true. Plus they start off with maxed diplo relations so that's a huge penalty. I think you just have to pray that you get a lucky +relations event, or get their relations above 100 and pray that they turn friendly before the Ottomans eat you.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

Also it's probably England or France getting an immersion pack. Or Sweden!

Pretty sure it will be France, but wondering what they can do since the more interesting things for France are in the 18th century and nobody really plays that long. I still don't have that "occupy the capital of a nation that is the target of a revolution" achievement.
Austria or Castile might be other contenders. England seems less likely since they got their custom government already (lets ignore here that it's a poo poo one).

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

skasion posted:

A ten buck flavor pack focused on making new world natives fun would be cool

Yes please, read about the beaver wars yesterday, and NA natives sure could use some more flavour. SA natives as well I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This can only end well. Why would anyone ever want to play ironman?

The new world has 6 custom high american nations with 3 provinces each and the ability to start siberian frontiers from the get go. Hopefully it will make for an interesting view once it's revealed. Maybe there will even be a few wars with colonial nations but that's probably just crazy talk. Oh and there's a Jewish country down at cape with a colonist from the second unlocked NI just to see what will happen. There are 13 customs in total to shake things up a little and naturally they all have random ideas except for the colonizing ones mentioned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Is the support heir interaction bugged on the outliner for anyone else? The tooltip for the Polish heir points out that I have 16 votes/points/whatever but the outliner shows for that diplomat that I have 0.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

17th century France, Rise of Richelieu. Alternate title: the Jean-Baptiste Colbert Report.

E: seriously, look at this guy. What’s in the letter, J-B?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

canepazzo posted:

How do I Karaman? Any guides I find say to smother Ottomans with a web of alliances but I can't seem to be able to ally any of the big players - max improved relations, diplo rep advisor and one diplo rep mission reward, army built over force limit and Mamluks are still 10-15 points away to accepting a Royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Hungary/Poland even less so.

The only guys I can ally are the 2 beyliks next to me, Cyprus, and Candar. Maybe QQ sometimes. Just not at all enough to stand against OE once truce is over.

What am I missing?

I tried a few times last night, I can't see how it's possible without trying something like moving out of the area and building up to come back after you build up a bigger power base. Maybe somehow getting a war dec on one of the Caucus countries and taking their land while abandoning your homeland to the Ottomenace.

I couldn't get anyone worthwhile to ally with me even with 1 diplo rep from the mission, 1 diplo rep from an event AND 1 diplo rep from an advisor. Ended up me, AQ, Dulkadir and Venice against the Ottomans and we weren't even able to slow them down. They just ran over us.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm thinking of starting a new game as the mamluks, what's the current go-to strategy with the new dlc?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Pretty sure it will be France, but wondering what they can do since the more interesting things for France are in the 18th century and nobody really plays that long. I still don't have that "occupy the capital of a nation that is the target of a revolution" achievement.
Austria or Castile might be other contenders. England seems less likely since they got their custom government already (lets ignore here that it's a poo poo one).

It's probably going to be Castille/Spain/possibly the rest of Iberia. They're pretty likely to be relevant in other campaigns, and a lot of the mechanics they'd get (colonization, etc) can probably be applied to other countries pretty easily, which are the main problems they stated with Third Rome. It also might help address some complaints about, say, Portugal never getting involved in India.

As a fan of British history, I'll still hold out hope for the EU4: Perfidious Albion expansion, though.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 11, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Doing my first Ethiopia run and it's nice, but I can see the rope being tightened around my neck. I grabbed everything on the horn of Africa that wasn't an ally, raced up and secured Alexandria as well as some good trade provinces there. Started colonizing early and have dibs on south africa and the spice islands.

However, Ottomans are getting antsy now that Mamluks is almost gone, Brunei hates my guts for no reason...and now both have allied.

Worse, none of the european powers is interested in an alliance. They stay neutral no matter how much I improve relations and pick the same rivals. I have pretty much no possible allies of any decent power.

Any way to turn this around? also, how should i set up my trade? The home node of Ethipia is a weird one that starts there and only flows outward to Alexandria.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

As a fan of British history, I'll still hold out hope for the EU4: Perfidious Albion, though.

This might be nice too, the parliamentary monarchy is clearly supposed to be a cool unique feature but it basically sucks ten pounds of dick and needs to be ditched ASAP. Could use an update.

Something else I would like to see which doesn’t have to be related to England (but could be, through parliament) is a bit more personalization of estates. Right now your nobility is just The Nobility, a faceless machine which produces ex nihilo a general or diplomat if you want. What about if on the estate screen, you could see some of your prominent magnates to give the estate a more consistently human face? These guys functionally don’t have to be anything more than ciphers for their respective provinces, like here’s the count of Toulouse, he contributes this much to your influence over the nobility and controls this percentage of noble-held lands, or here’s the archbishop of whatever diocese or the mayor of this city or the hetman of these cossacks or the MP from this borough. This guy is willing to serve as your master of mint, this guy will general for you, etc. Not making major changes to how estates already work. But if you represent them through “characters” you can play around with them a little more with events and such and give the estate system a bit more personality.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Be sure to set you attitude towards the Ottos to threatened. That gives you +20 to getting an alliance with their enemies.

Getting the Mamluks on your side is definitely pretty tough. Reman's video on the achievement starts off saying that they always start friendly towards you, but that's definitely not true. Plus they start off with maxed diplo relations so that's a huge penalty. I think you just have to pray that you get a lucky +relations event, or get their relations above 100 and pray that they turn friendly before the Ottomans eat you.

1.24 had some undocumented AI changes, the best way to do the Karaman achievement is to restart until Ottomans are friendly, ally them, and then use them as a big murder stick vs. the Mamluks. If you want to be extra exploitative, you can declare on Cyprus, make the Mamluks a co-beligerent, and get full Ottoman assistance without even having to give them anything in return.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is there a message setting for when another country gets an heir which i can't find maybe

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

is there a message setting for when another country gets an heir which i can't find maybe

I looked for one for my current Austria PU whore run since it would be real handy, but I could only find the interesting country gets new monarch message. Not saying it isn’t in there somewhere because the message system in this game is ridiculous, but if so I can’t find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sephyr posted:

also, how should i set up my trade? The home node of Ethipia is a weird one that starts there and only flows outward to Alexandria.

Can’t speak to the rest but trade is going to be very hard for you. You are an origin node so the value flows away. If you have the DLC, try setting your trade capital to Alexandria and collecting there. Later, if things go very well, try to grab Venice or Genoa and put your trade capital there.

If you can, develop and send ships to protect trade along the gulf of Aden and in Alexandria. The gulf of Aden is key because that’s the main decider about whether trade will flow around Africa to Portugal and Spain or up the Gulf to Alexandria and the Mediterranean.