Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's pretty disappointing that Team Canada went with only vets, the youngest player on the roster is 25. I would've appreciated it far more if they'd taken one or two fun young players. Sam Steel or Jordan Kyrou maybe. Right now I just feel no desire to root for a bunch of NHL washouts and European stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
haha it's Willie behind the bench

canada is toast

hopefully in another four loving years we'll get to see some good mens hockey from team canada at the olympics again

I will def. be watching the women's games after last time though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

It's pretty disappointing that Team Canada went with only vets, the youngest player on the roster is 25. I would've appreciated it far more if they'd taken one or two fun young players. Sam Steel or Jordan Kyrou maybe. Right now I just feel no desire to root for a bunch of NHL washouts and European stars.

Both of those guys have signed NHL deals.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I legitimately thought Jarome Iginla was still being bad in Colorado or Arizona or somewhere.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Both of those guys have signed NHL deals.

The CHL came out last week and said it was in support of its players going including those with NHL deals. Ditto the NHL.

quote:

"Junior players are not playing under NHL contracts while they continue to be junior players,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told thn.com in an email. “I would expect that if any were to be invited, it would be done with the prior consultation and approval of the player’s NHL team, but no, there would be no resistance or concern from an NHL perspective.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/hockey-canada-has-full-support-of-chl-giving-junior-players-green-light-for-olympics

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA might actually have a better roster than Canada

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'd be hard pressed to call Canada the favourites.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not unless they pull out some kind of miracle goaltending pair with their last two slots.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Not unless they pull out some kind of miracle goaltending pair with their last two slots.

ya thats the problem since apparently they're not inviting Woll and Oettinger, which seemed like the obvious choices

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Woll is currently sporting an .898 in the NCAA and got lit up in the WJC. He would not be the answer either way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like the faves for gold are Russia or Sweden, since they can use folks from the Elite League and KHL, and I feel like the KHL players from Russia will be more talented and have more chemistry. Same for Sweden.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like the faves for gold are Russia or Sweden, since they can use folks from the Elite League and KHL, and I feel like the KHL players from Russia will be more talented and have more chemistry. Same for Sweden.

Russia is still banned from the Olympics and any Russians that do go will be called "Olympic Athletes From Russia". There will be no Russian team.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

Russia is still banned from the Olympics and any Russians that do go will be called "Olympic Athletes From Russia". There will be no Russian team.

Oh wow I'd forgotten about that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All the big nations have a lot of talent in the NHL though, and it's not like Canada and the US didn't take guys who are also very good in the Euro leagues.

Canada's in the weakest group too, which should help with seeding at least.

grack posted:

The Russian team participating as the Olympic Athletes from Russia is going to be the exact same players, and in the same group, as they would have been otherwise, so I'm not sure how relevant that is.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The Russian team participating as the Olympic Athletes from Russia is going to be the exact same players, and in the same group, as they would have been otherwise, so I'm not sure how relevant that is.

Yeah Russia is going to celebrate when the team made entirely of Russian players wins gold, so it really doesn't matter if they're technically Russia or not.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Let’s go Svizzero/Schweiz/Suisse!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the exact same team minus anyone caught doping, of which I think there are none.

(They're absolutely all doping they just didn't catch any.)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tyler Seguin made it to TMZ for making out with former WWE star Summer Rae on the beach.

Uh...good job, I guess? The Stars never get fun hockey news.:shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shinjobi posted:

Tyler Seguin made it to TMZ for making out with former WWE star Summer Rae on the beach.

Well yeah, they aren't a fun team to watch

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Shinjobi posted:

I'm imagining Seguin making out with a 40+ year old Florida woman with leathery skin how close is that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah Russia is going to celebrate when the team made entirely of Russian players wins gold, so it really doesn't matter if they're technically Russia or not.

Matters to Ovie.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can I get a hot take on Duclair? I thought him and Domi were doing really well last season. How did Chicago get him for Former NHL Leading Goal Scorer Richard Panik?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm imagining Seguin making out with a 40+ year old Florida woman with leathery skin how close is that

This one is former as in she was fired last month, not she's old and had a wrestling career 20 years ago.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Can I get a hot take on Duclair? I thought him and Domi were doing really well last season. How did Chicago get him for Former NHL Leading Goal Scorer Richard Panik?

streaky one way player with locker room issues that's gone through 3 coaches now. yakupov, deangelo, gagner, etc.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

He had 15 points last year and got sent down in a pretty spectacular flameout. He had a neat rookie season 2 years ago. He had to prove himself after last year and didn't so it's not surprising.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/951546628837535744

who

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Anthony Duclair's locker room problems included:
-Walking into the Coyotes locker room and asking where the other half of the NHL team was
-Celebrating after wins, while the rest of the team forgot how
-Not liking Zac Rinaldo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

-Walking into the Coyotes locker room and asking where the other half of the NHL team was

lmao :thurman:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

david leggio is the guy who keeps pushing over his net on breakaways

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

hifi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXbNjBh9So

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

iospace posted:

Well yeah, they aren't a fun team to watch

Strong disagree.

Ya butt.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hifi posted:

Brandon Maxwell was a bad OHL goalie who apparently struggled in the ECHL and now plays in the Czech Republic.

Why didn't they take Oettinger?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're not bad, I've watched them in D1 rec league at a local rink. Though Maxwell is playing above his weight a bit, should probably stick to D2 or D3.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

Neon Nights would actually make sense and be more fun.

Plus their jerseys would look like ASG jerseys.
:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_qF2mHOlA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owns.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

That's great, smart move.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/951560661271691264

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He did it in the AHL and the DEL, interestingly enough the AHL instituted a rule that ejected the goalie (in addition to the penalty shot), while the DEL decided to automatically award a goal (which makes way more sense).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Derek Roy lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Season's been extended a day to fit in the Bruins-Panthers make-up game

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/951500561270099968

Celtics play in the Garden at 1 PM on April 8th, so the ice is gonna be loving atrocious for this one.

• Locked thread