Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Keyboards just seem more precise to me and now that I have a :siren: mechanical keyboard :siren: I have achieved gaming nirvana.

This is also part of the reason I like playing fighting games on a keyboard, the soothing clack of a good Cherry MX

Fighting games accept discrete digital inputs so a keyboard is actually one of the best ways to play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

cheetah7071 posted:

the Dual Shock 4, the best controller ever made

I like it but it doesn't have analog triggers so I can't fine-tune my quack pitch in Duck Game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish octagonal gate fight sticks were the norm because I have trouble hitting the cardinal directions precisely sometimes
I'm not going to support this, but its real easy to change a gate on a stick

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

don't troll please

Sometimes when I'm trying to block high I jump backwards I'm sorry that I'm bad

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh KB+M is a total mess, unless you have one of those fancy gamer mouses with tons of buttons. With a standard 3 button mouse you don't have enough buttons to bind everything properly.

Just keyboard though? That's fine. Just rebind everything camera related to your numpad and put the attack buttons over there too.

This is degenerate

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Olive! posted:

I like it but it doesn't have analog triggers so I can't fine-tune my quack pitch in Duck Game

the ds4 does have analog triggers though? it even registers in emulating a gc controller's analog triggers in dolphin

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh KB+M is a total mess, unless you have one of those fancy gamer mouses with tons of buttons. With a standard 3 button mouse you don't have enough buttons to bind everything properly.

Just keyboard though? That's fine. Just rebind everything camera related to your numpad and put the attack buttons over there too.
There's a Circle of Hell dedicated to heretics like you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Colonel posted:

the ds4 does have analog triggers though? it even registers in emulating a gc controller's analog triggers in dolphin

Duck Game doesn't recognize this then :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't actually used an octagonal gate fight stick so I'm just hypothesizing they would fix some input issues I have with square gates, maybe they're just awful

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

some people play nuclear throne not on a mouse/keyboard. a gamer prayer for them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't actually used an octagonal gate fight stick so I'm just hypothesizing they would fix some input issues I have with square gates, maybe they're just awful
if you've ever played an fg in an arcade anywhere outside of japan you've probably touched an octo gate at least once

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

if you've ever played an fg in an arcade anywhere outside of japan you've probably touched an octo gate at least once

I've played the original Blazblue in an arcade but that was firmly in the era where all arcade games were imports

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remember when video game reviews used to give a score for Controls out of 10?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Buddy, I don't even remember video game reviews.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t remember this kid having a full body

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Remember when video game reviews used to give a score for Controls out of 10?

I don't remember out of 10 but I remember this

E:f; somehow beaten

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm not necessarily a mouse and keyboard advocate, but given the option I will always learn the mouse and keyboard controls because I can't be bothered to buy a dedicated PC controller.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t remember this kid having a full body

5.0 (the ultimate)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I wish shot gaming haden't pretty much crashed and burned. I liked it :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this looks like your av came up with a rating scale

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

This post is weirder than the keyboard only dark souls post

It actually makes sense, movement in 2D games is really really easy with keyboard. Getting used to doing motions is a little tricky but after that it's a good control scheme. I just use a fightstick because it's fun to have a big heavy controller in your lap

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

holy cr*p, they're adding the SSX geotagging mode to super mario odyssey

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

some people play nuclear throne not on a mouse/keyboard. a gamer prayer for them

I use a DS4, even on pc

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I ditched my mouse & modded my keyboard with gyro controls, now I'm more pro than ever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

It actually makes sense, movement in 2D games is really really easy with keyboard. Getting used to doing motions is a little tricky but after that it's a good control scheme. I just use a fightstick because it's fun to have a big heavy controller in your lap

I played Melty Blood on keyboard back in the day and I don't think I successfully did a half circle even once

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

In Training posted:

I use a DS4, even on pc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Don't post your fetish art

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nina posted:

TWEWY on Switch should be something that makes me backflip from joy but I'm just not a fan of the simplified gameplay of the mobile port at all

honestly the dual screen gimmick is incredibly superfluous and by getting rid of it I feel like nothing of value is lost. once in a while I'd put in a control pad combo but it never felt like I had incredible control over the 2nd character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TWEWY was like every lovely first year DS gimmick you could think of (mostly not done very well) that somehow still managed to make a good game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

honestly the dual screen gimmick is incredibly superfluous and by getting rid of it I feel like nothing of value is lost. once in a while I'd put in a control pad combo but it never felt like I had incredible control over the 2nd character.

Getting good at the dual screen stuff was super rewarding though. You're losing a lot of the unique designs when the second screen goes away. No other game in the world really plays like TWEWY DS

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Xbox 360 wireless controller for PC racing games and platformers (and Dark Souls)

I'll be buying Dark Souls for the third time come May, believe you me. PS4 version all the way.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think I'll ever need a version of DS1 other than the PC version

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i finally picked up Nuclear Throne a few weeks ago and while it's fun and all i am seriously curious why anyone says it's better than Enter the Gungeon, and that's not even taking Advanced Gungeons and Dragons into account

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's the best roguelike ever imo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

In Training posted:

I don't think I'll ever need a version of DS1 other than the PC version

It'll be interesting to see which one's better, DS1 with mods vs Remastered.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I like EtG but Nuclear Throne is 100% action with zero filler and still manages to present interesting strategic decisions while keeping the experience incredibly lean. That's really impressive. EtG is a good way to kill an hour for me but in Nuclear Throne I can get right to the good poo poo in literally like a few minutes, it's so fast and streamlined

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

chumped the watcher, got the spider rune, nearly got my head punched off by some giant golems, but made it alive to the clock tower in dead cells. booya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nuclear Throne starts at the like, halfway point of most other RLs. I enjoy Isaac as well but there are times where I wish I could just hit a item randomizer button and be put at the mom fight with a completely random loadout and just play from there.

• Locked thread