Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pet Sematary.

Easily his scariest work and definitely a must-read.

Other than that, in no particular order:
The Running Man
The Dead Zone
Skeleton Crew (short stories)
Night Shift (also short stories)
The Shining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

my bony fealty posted:

I've never read anything by Stephen King but I picked up On Writing at the recommendation of a bookstore person because I wanted to read something about the writing process and it's really neat and I like the way he writes, I uh should try to read some of his fiction now yeah?

Is going chronologically a good idea? Any real stinkers to skip?

So, you can probably tell that everyone has King books that they love and other books that they hate (except me, I don't really hate any of them. Some of them are more brainless though, that's for sure). What kind of book do you like? I'll recommend a couple and give you a short little rundown on why I think they are worth reading.

Skeleton Crew - This seems to be the most popular collection of short stories. I honestly think you can't go wrong with any of the collections, but if you are going to start with one why not go with the most popular?

The Talisman - Like I said, the book that got me started with King. It's an interesting fantasy adventure which has a little of everything in it. (be warned, the sequel isn't all that great)

Salem's Lot - A classic, King's take on the vampire story. Also gives you a good taste of King's tastes in writing (lots of characterization, lots of time spent on building the setting, and then a short climax where you get to watch everything fall apart)

It - Another classic, if you saw the movie you don't even really have to worry that much about being spoiled as the book is way, way heavier on building the characters and the big reveal didn't actually happen in the movie.

The Running Man - Remember that movie with Arnie? It was based on this book (and honestly has almost nothing in common with it). An interesting story where you follow a contestant on "The Running Man," a far-future reality show where the contestant gets literally hunted. (In my opinion, the Bachman books tend to be a little angrier than the King books, but this is still a worthwhile read.)

The Long Walk - Another Bachman book, and a definitely must read if you like King. Follow along as kids go on a long walk. If they stop or slow too much, they get a ticket. (It's way, way interesting, believe me)

The Green Mile - A little bit of different King, this has some supernatural elements, but is mostly a character driven story where the ex-bull goose of a death row block talks about his inmates. Very depressing.

Pet Sematary - King's version of the monkey paw. Watch as all them good intentions go haywire in wacky ways. Definitely a tough read, especially if you are a parent.

The Shining - A man and his family are caretakers of a (haunted) hotel over the winter and the spirits in the hotel are restless. Read along as they get up to shenanigans.

I just tossed up a couple off the top of my head and left out some of the more hardcore King stuff (like the Dark Tower, which, while one of my favorite series of all time, isn't the best for a King newbie) that I feel would benefit from a little familiarity with his style.

*edit* Can't believe I forgot to put The Shining on the list.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 4, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Lol at anyone who doesn’t obsessively reread the gangbang scene and the description of bens huge donger in particular.

Or the description of the whore laying in a literal puddle of semen from all her clients

Or the description of Henry and his friends hairy asses and dongers and the subsequent handjob from a mentally ill sociopath to an abused child.

Or how Beverly takes in such a deep breath her shirt literally bursts open and her titties pop out.

IT is regarded as a masterpiece for many reasons.

:lol:

That actor from Wings who did the audio version had to read that into the mic.

That must have been pleasant.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

On that day, Stephen Weber was paid in scotch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Maturin bless :o:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

USMC_Karl's list is probably the best one for King newbies but really,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

read 'salem's lot

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
picked up bazaar of bad dreams again and man there really are only like three worthwhile stories in this thing

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

nah because then you'll start with carrie which isn't that good. read 'salem's lot.

What the gently caress is this nonsense. CARRIE is legit and is a short read (And it'll be the shortest read you'll get out of King for a while).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah a lot of the IT changes didn't bug me, even when I thought it was dumb--the blood in the bathroom--but minimizing Mike so Ben could be the focus was really trite, especially because what little we did see of Mike showed that he had a good actor.

It's annoying because Mike being the only one to stay in town and chronicling the town's sordid (and racial history) was particularly potent. Just handing all that stuff over to Ben is a weird choice. I wouldn't have minded if it seemed like Mike was going to pick things up where Ben left off, but given what the director has been saying about the sequel it doesn't seem like that will be the case.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What's he been saying? "Lol haystack is the best and whenever he's not on screen all the characters are asking where's Ben"?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's he been saying? "Lol haystack is the best and whenever he's not on screen all the characters are asking where's Ben"?

More that they want the one black guy in the group to be "kind of a drug addict".

quote:

“My idea of Mike in the second movie is quite darker from the book. I want to make his character the one pivotal character who brings them all together, but staying in Derry took a toll with him. I want him to be a junkie actually. A librarian junkie. When the second movie starts, he’s a wreck.” Still, the director added, the drugs will be somewhat useful in defeating the monster: “He will bear the role of trying to figure out how to defeat him,” Muschietti added. “The only way he can do that is to take drugs and alter his mind.”

It's a bit of a confused quote, but it seems that Mike will still stay in the town and be both a librarian and a real junkie.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A librarian junkie, hooked on the Dewey decimal system. Addicted to books. Jonesing for learning.

I'm sure they will treat this respectfully in the way that the only black man in town being a drug addict deserves.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Yeah one of the movie's greatest crimes was neutering Mike. I loved that guy in the book. Maybe we'll get a remake in 27 years...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cast Dave chappelle as grown mike

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A librarian junkie, hooked on the Derry decimal system.

fixed hth

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah one of the movie's greatest crimes was neutering Mike. I loved that guy in the book. Maybe we'll get a remake in 27 years...

:hai:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

More that they want the one black guy in the group to be "kind of a drug addict".

Well that just sounds gross as all hell. Still, if they can give him more focus and not waste time on the "Goon to Swoon" factor of Ben, I could see it working.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Maybe they'll just keep Ben fat instead of turning him into Walt Longmire.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
when ben was introduced in the film i leaned over to my girlfriend and whispered 'in the book he has a huge cock' and she asked me to please stop

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm heavily considering giving up on Sleeping Beauties. I'm lucky if I get 50 pages in a night, and so far it's not hitting that End of Society itch. Does it pick up?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I'm heavily considering giving up on Sleeping Beauties. I'm lucky if I get 50 pages in a night, and so far it's not hitting that End of Society itch. Does it pick up?

no

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it never leaves the town

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm getting a real "Under the Dome" feel from it. I slogged along through that one, I don't think I want to do it again

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Professor Shark posted:

I'm getting a real "Under the Dome" feel from it. I slogged along through that one, I don't think I want to do it again

I liked it and all but, if you aren't digging it and didn't really like Under the Dome, then you are pretty safe in setting it down. Sleeping Beauties is basically just Under the Dome with a fresh coat of paint and has all the same basic foibles.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
under the dome is way better because it has real antagonists

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Just finished THE DEAD ZONE (For some reason my King blindspots were his early novels) and one thing I really liked was how he portrays the passage of time after he's in the accident. The focus completely switches and then you get this short story of 3 people who don't have a clue what to do about this situation and how they all just drift apart. It's a testament to King as a writer that those scenes work even though you've just met those characters.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Does the Dark Tower get better because the first part is really unpleasantly adolescent

Allie might have had a grotesque scar but at least her body wasn't half bad hheheh

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

feelix posted:

Does the Dark Tower get better because the first part is really unpleasantly adolescent

Allie might have had a grotesque scar but at least her body wasn't half bad hheheh
Well, it depends.

The first 4 Dark Tower books were written in between King's other books and published at about 5 year intervals, and each is so different from the others that it's almost like a different genre. But if you didn't like the 1st, I can't promise you'll like the rest, although for my money, the end of book three and beginning of book four* are probably the best thing's he's ever written.

*Maybe just all of book 4.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feelix posted:

the first book is extremely different from the rest, which are more traditionally King

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?
Just finished the dark tower series. Wow, lot to unpack.

In general, i liked it! Some of the books were better than others. Personally I liked Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands the most, and Wizard and Glass the least (not saying it was terrible, just felt that there was a lot of fat in the narrative that should have been trimmed off).

That ending of Book VII though! I don't hate it, but i really wish I knew what difference having the Horn of Eld would have made. I mean, Roland pretty much finished the quest: he took care of the breakers (thus saving the beams and allowing them to regenerate) and took out Mordred and the Crimson King (not to mention all the people serving him). He gets to the top of the Tower and the tower sends him back to do it all again? No mad, just super curious as to what the point of all that was.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The first part of the original Dark Tower book was literally being written when King was like 19 or 20 years old.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I always found the first book to be tediously misanthropic. I assume Roland is better defined in later books, but in the first one he seems less consumed by purpose and more just an rear end in a top hat

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

fishmech posted:

The first part of the original Dark Tower book was literally being written when King was like 19 or 20 years old.

According to the foreword, 22

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

polishthunder84 posted:

Just finished the dark tower series. Wow, lot to unpack.

In general, i liked it! Some of the books were better than others. Personally I liked Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands the most, and Wizard and Glass the least (not saying it was terrible, just felt that there was a lot of fat in the narrative that should have been trimmed off).

That ending of Book VII though! I don't hate it, but i really wish I knew what difference having the Horn of Eld would have made. I mean, Roland pretty much finished the quest: he took care of the breakers (thus saving the beams and allowing them to regenerate) and took out Mordred and the Crimson King (not to mention all the people serving him). He gets to the top of the Tower and the tower sends him back to do it all again? No mad, just super curious as to what the point of all that was.

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe it was implying he has to continue to do his quest in an infinite loop until he gets it right (AKA not abandoning those close to him). Once he does that he can finish his quest once and for all. I'm sure someone can explain better than me though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Reminder if you enjoyed the DT series to never, ever watch the movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reminder if you enjoyed the DT series to never, ever watch the movie.

Reminder that the movie is the canon sequel to the book series

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe it was implying he has to continue to do his quest in an infinite loop until he gets it right (AKA not abandoning those close to him). Once he does that he can finish his quest once and for all. I'm sure someone can explain better than me though.

thats pretty much it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My personal list for a Stephen King Newbie to start with:

Night Shift (I like these stories better than Skeleton Crew although short stories are good in general to introduce yourself to a writer, especially if the writer is good at them. Surprise! King is.)

Different Seasons (slight escalation from short stories to novellas but these are very good and you can see that SK is not strictly horror genre)

Enjoyable well plotted/crafted novels:

Firestarter
The Dead Zone

Scary as gently caress:

‘Salem’s Lot
The Shining

I also agree that Carrie is decent and also a short read, it’s kind of novella territory.

Unlike you younguns I didn’t read a lot of his newer output after the 90s hit, I stopped after I read a few novels I wasn’t crazy about. I just think that like a lot of artists or creative people, King was at the peak of his powers as a younger man. I feel like Firestarter and Dead Zone hit at the time where he’d been doing it long enough that he had a little polish to go along with power and creative vision.

Ones that I like that came after he passed his peak (IMO) include Misery and Pet Sematary. I’m actually partial to Thinner for some reason.

If you look at the copyright and publication dates for the stories in Night Shift, many were written long before he became famous although some contain seeds or reference to later stories or worlds from his novels, such as ‘Salem’s Lot and The Stand.

Pretty sure the first novel he actually wrote was ‘Salem’s Lot but Carrie was the first one that was a smash hit bestseller and put him on the map, and a lot of older output like ‘Salem’s Lot and the Night Shift stories were able to get out there shortly afterwards.

In terms of just pure horror, it’s ‘Salem’s Lot, with The Shining as a close second. But those are the two.

Danse Macabre is also a good nonfiction discussion about horror fiction and film, although it’s sad that it’s so dated. It would be awesome if he did some kind of companion to it that included more recent stuff, particularly Clive Barker.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

feelix posted:

It gets way better almost immediately in the second book. Gunslinger is a bit of a slog, but it's short and gives a lot of essential background/world building stuff. Drawing of the Three and Waste Lands are some of the most riveting things I've ever read. Wizard and Glass is great and gives a ton more background on who Roland is. Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah aren't great, but they keep the story moving and they definitely held my attention. DT7 kinda tries to do too much, but I thought it was a really satisfying ending.

Slog through the first book and if you're still bored by halfway through the second one, then the series probably has nothing for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you don't like Wizard and the Glass, then I don't like YOU.