Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rock Puncher posted:

Apparently you can get infestations on large hills type maps? Is it just less likely compared to mountainous/impassable?

If it has "caves" as a feature, they're guaranteed and actually make for interesting maps because they always cut through the whole hill and can be an actual route NPCs have to take to get in and out of your colony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rock Puncher posted:

Thanks guys, I am new at this game so news to me, the tutorials I read seemed to suggest that it was a binary decision rather than probability. Any tips for dealing with them? My colony population is small, like 7 people even though I'm nearing the end of the research tree, Randy hasn't been kindly about giving me new colonists this round.

I would like to get turrets to do the heavy lifting, but I'm not sure how close I can get without them attacking.

for dealing with what, infestations? the basic shot of bugs is that they are:

1) pretty well armored
2) very strong in melee
3) have no ranged attacks (see 2)

your two main options are fire and overwhelming ranged power. if the bugs are in a relatively small area (e.g., they do not have 'outdoors' access yet) then seal them off with stone walls and roofed areas to make the area thermally isolated, then fill as much of their chamber as you dare with wood walls and set the walls on fire. bugs that are not set on fire directly will have to deal with the horrifically hot conditions you put them in, which in an ideal world will be hot enough to kill them with heatstroke.

overwhelming ranged power is accomplished with the biggest guns you can manage, as many turrets as is reasonable (i recommend 1 per large bug if possible), a killing field set up with lots of crossfire, and someone with a long ranged weapon and preferably a movement boost to lead the bugs into a crossfire.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Coolguye posted:

1) pretty well armored
2) very strong in melee

your two main options are fire and overwhelming ranged power. if the bugs are in a relatively small area (e.g., they do not have 'outdoors' access yet) then seal them off with stone walls and roofed areas to make the area thermally isolated, then fill as much of their chamber as you dare with wood walls and set the walls on fire. bugs that are not set on fire directly will have to deal with the horrifically hot conditions you put them in, which in an ideal world will be hot enough to kill them with heatstroke.

overwhelming ranged power is accomplished with the biggest guns you can manage, as many turrets as is reasonable (i recommend 1 per large bug if possible), a killing field set up with lots of crossfire, and someone with a long ranged weapon and preferably a movement boost.

I like the sound of setting them on fire. Definitely going to give that a go. They currently do have outdoors access but i should be able to seal them in easily enough. Not sure how getting the wood in there is going to go though.

https://imgur.com/a/ID0Up

I guess that would be a relatively small infestation?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yep.

wood walls on red, stone walls/doors on black, set the wood on fire and the bugs will roast in their own nest since you've basically made a pressure cooker underground. the southern wall need not be followed slavishly if you are concerned about the bugs aggroing on the workers down there, the point is just to restrict how much space you need to heat.

Be sure to sweep in and finish off the nests after the bugs are dead because the nests themselves will be unaffected by the heat.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 11, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

1) pretty well armored
2) very strong in melee

overwhelming ranged power is accomplished with the biggest guns you can manage, as many turrets as is reasonable (i recommend 1 per large bug if possible), a killing field set up with lots of crossfire, and someone with a long ranged weapon and preferably a movement boost to lead the bugs into a crossfire.

You can also go the Starship Troopers route of equipping your mans with armor and going in in groups and fighting packs one at a time and hoping you don't aggro more than one group at a time. Pro-tip, don't shoot hives until you kill all the live bugs. They'll make a bee-line (:haw:) to the attacked hive and you'll be royally hosed. Personally, infestations were one of my favorite events in my large mature mountain forts. 30 hives, a swarm, and a panicked rush to the armory/outside was more fun than playing Saving Private Ryan's opening scene over and over from the German perspective. Kill teams with incinerators, power armor, and stupid amounts of firepower... smells like victory. :clint:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

UHHHHH
I set my best miner to just dig out a big square of mostly steel.

Nex thing I know a giant maggot with a napalm launcher comes out of a dark room and kills everyone without breaking a sweat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

UHHHHH
I set my best miner to just dig out a big square of mostly steel.

Nex thing I know a giant maggot with a napalm launcher comes out of a dark room and kills everyone without breaking a sweat.

sounds like you unearthed an ancient evil. you should have gotten an alert about it when you got close the first time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Look at this idiot saying I should start paying attention!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel blessed that I can watch you learn this game, that must have been so much fun!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I turned on that work mod and :stare: those are some serious options. I'm not sure how to even use that effectively.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hot dang those medieval war band raids on rough are... well, rough. I didn’t have a wall or trap setup complete and had 6 colonists (including two kids who are... poor in fights). About a dozen fully armored melee and ranged pawns show up and start preparing.

Luckily there was a pair of brachiosaurs hanging nearby them!

I got my fastest runner to shoot them (and a pair of minmis near them) to trigger manhunter, then ran close to the preparing raiders so they come running up to meet my pawn who continues running by, training a few angry dinosaurs along.

At the end of the fight, all dinos we’re down - one of the minmis became a Trauma Savant - and I had only 1 colonist injury (a crossbow bolt to the chest so he nearly bled out...).

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The series of toxic fallout, manhunting badgers, and huge raids finally broke poor Gazelle's mind and she thinks she's possessed. She has decided to express her existential despair by spinning around, making weird noises, and vomiting. The other colonists seem to have no reaction other than mild disgust at the mess because they're too busy literally trying to put out fires.

Just another day!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My favorite way of dealing with bugs is to wall them in so deeply they can't get out no matter how mad they get. Eventually they give up and start starving and eating each other until there is only one left.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm thinking to grab Simple Sidearms, since I want a middle ground between "well this squirrel is trying to eat my face better punch it, :derp:" and "I have two shiny robot arms with wolverine claws. :ese:" Anyone care to weigh in on the mod?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I'm thinking to grab Simple Sidearms, since I want a middle ground between "well this squirrel is trying to eat my face better punch it, :derp:" and "I have two shiny robot arms with wolverine claws. :ese:" Anyone care to weigh in on the mod?

I really like it overall, I wish something similar would be implemented in vanilla. The main problem with it is that in order for the pawn to change weapons, they have to drop their primary weapon. This gets really annoying in a big fight if some enemies close to melee, once they're dead you have to micro your gunners to pick their guns back up so they can start shooting again. For undrafted pawns there's no micro needed, they will pick their stuff back up automatically.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

dylguy90 posted:

My favorite way of dealing with bugs is to wall them in so deeply they can't get out no matter how mad they get. Eventually they give up and start starving and eating each other until there is only one left.

Huh. I had just assumed that the hives periodically produce inset jelly for them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are there no mods that do the same thing as the dropships mod did? It was incredibly fun to just land near a raider base and raise hell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If nothing else, Simple Sidearms makes grenades a hell of a lot more useful because your pawns can simply carry them and switch to them when required, rather than micromanaging it for that very rare occasion when grenades make sense.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Class Warcraft posted:

Huh. I had just assumed that the hives periodically produce inset jelly for them.
It does, but hives can be frozen to death.

If you start a caves map that has serious winters you'll start with a bunch of bugs/hives in caves that are "inactive", but in your first cold snap the hive will freeze to death and the bugs will wander outside and start killing animals and passing travelers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hives also require maintenance delivered by the insects themselves, and if you kill all the insects the hive will eventually die unless it spawns another insect to care for it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

I really like it overall, I wish something similar would be implemented in vanilla. The main problem with it is that in order for the pawn to change weapons, they have to drop their primary weapon. This gets really annoying in a big fight if some enemies close to melee, once they're dead you have to micro your gunners to pick their guns back up so they can start shooting again. For undrafted pawns there's no micro needed, they will pick their stuff back up automatically.

They only drop their weapons if they're switching when they're already in melee; if you have them switch manually outside of melee they won't drop their weapons, IIRC.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The weapon dropping thing with Simple Sidearms is an option, you can set it in Mod Options so they just switch weapons without dropping (I don't know why it isn't the default).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Flesh Forge posted:

The weapon dropping thing with Simple Sidearms is an option, you can set it in Mod Options so they just switch weapons without dropping (I don't know why it isn't the default).

~realism!~

I find that annoying too, and I turned that off. I guess it is realistic in that you'd drop your gun and pull your knife instead of carefully slinging it behind you, but gently caress, there's enough micromanaging in the game as it is.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Well, poo poo. I never even checked that, I just assumed that it was a technical limitation. Ok, mod's all good then! Kind of a weird default, but I guess if you're going for some semblance of realism it makes sense.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also note, they won't actually pick up their particular weapon, they just pick up the nearest weapon of the same type, so your guy equipped with a legendary plasteel mace might instead end up with an awful wooden one.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Demon_Corsair posted:

I turned on that work mod and :stare: those are some serious options. I'm not sure how to even use that effectively.

Start with wood or foraging. Set the amount you want in storage and check the options like mature only etc. It adds a manager job in the work tab and a manager desk. Build the desk and assign a pawn as manager. Once an hour if the pawn is free they will check the job and if you have less than whatever you set, like 500 wood it will tag enough wood to be harvested to get you to 500 wood. Pawns will treat that like a normal plant cutting job, or hunting etc.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I guess this is the place to ask about it, but for some reason, my guys won't switch weapons unless I manually tell them to swap to their sidearm. I'll see if I can post a screenshot of my mod options when I get home, but its kind of annoying making steel gladii for everyone and then watching them beat manhunting rabbits with the butt of their rifle.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

Start with wood or foraging. Set the amount you want in storage and check the options like mature only etc. It adds a manager job in the work tab and a manager desk. Build the desk and assign a pawn as manager. Once an hour if the pawn is free they will check the job and if you have less than whatever you set, like 500 wood it will tag enough wood to be harvested to get you to 500 wood. Pawns will treat that like a normal plant cutting job, or hunting etc.

I m ant the mod that adds all the sub categories and schedules priorities.

But I had looking at the manager mod as well.

I just threw in a bunch ones from that list a couple pages ago and it's like I'm learning the game all over again.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just threw in a bunch ones from that list a couple pages ago and it's like I'm learning the game all over again.

This is one of my favorite things about mods. I added the dinosauria mod after someone described hunting brachiosaurs for 1600 meat. Now if I'm feeling risky I can draft my colony and go focus fire enough food for the winter. Really reccomend it as it significantly changes how you approach hunting and predators. Nothing like a pair of spinosaurus in your chosen base area.

It also has the fun effect of letting you snipe aggro dinosaurs near enemy raiders. This hasn't been an imbalanced game changer for me, but drat if it isn't fun to watch.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

GodspeedSphere posted:

This is one of my favorite things about mods. I added the dinosauria mod after someone described hunting brachiosaurs for 1600 meat. Now if I'm feeling risky I can draft my colony and go focus fire enough food for the winter. Really reccomend it as it significantly changes how you approach hunting and predators. Nothing like a pair of spinosaurus in your chosen base area.

It also has the fun effect of letting you snipe aggro dinosaurs near enemy raiders. This hasn't been an imbalanced game changer for me, but drat if it isn't fun to watch.

I trained up a small herd of triceratops, they're big and smart and strong. Knock the poo poo out of mechanoids and also haul big loads.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah and when there's a migrating herd of brontos during winter... well, you're set for the next few years.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah and when there's a migrating herd of brontos during winter... well, you're set for the next few years.

Animals ruin my poo poo, so I'm too afraid to gently caress with any migrating herds. If I don't gently caress with capybaras, no way am I gonna piss off dinosaurs

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah i cant imagine loving with dinosuars. My last 3 games ended in panther or fox attacks. Before that a herd of elephants ate all my crops on an archipeligo and there was gently caress all i could do about it. Animals are the worst.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Dinosauria is great, but you can really game them using the same tactic as any other animal:

Find an wall accessible to the animal from both sides. Build a single door so that pathing from one side of the door to the other using the open path is about 1-2 screen lengths of travel. Shoot the animal until it gets close, then move to the other side of the wall using the door. Repeat until it dies.

As long as there’s a reasonably short accessible path, the animal will never attack the door. You can kill thrumbos, manhunters, dinos, any melee user this way. It’s cheap but it works.

Obviously more difficult with packs, but still workable.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah i cant imagine loving with dinosuars. My last 3 games ended in panther or fox attacks. Before that a herd of elephants ate all my crops on an archipeligo and there was gently caress all i could do about it. Animals are the worst.

There's a mod called Predator Hunt Alert which gives you a heads up on predators targeting your pawns, I've found it helps a lot with being able to get someone to a safe space or rally the troops to blast whatever is after them. If you're having trouble with wild animals eating your crops put a wall around the field with no roof, they won't go through doors to eat crops.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Gadzuko posted:

There's a mod called Predator Hunt Alert which gives you a heads up on predators targeting your pawns, I've found it helps a lot with being able to get someone to a safe space or rally the troops to blast whatever is after them. If you're having trouble with wild animals eating your crops put a wall around the field with no roof, they won't go through doors to eat crops.

Im playing tribals and it was a string of bad luck early game failures. In the archpelago there was one tile of shallow water i couldnt build on to complete the wall so i was hosed. It was the only growable spot on a desert island i was stuck on and i didnt get a bridge built to another island in time. I also hosed up planting bamboo instead of trees because elphants will apparently eat bamboo.

The desert archipelagos are rough because if there are aggressive animals there will only be like 2 rats to eat and then they come after you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Animals ruin my poo poo, so I'm too afraid to gently caress with any migrating herds. If I don't gently caress with capybaras, no way am I gonna piss off dinosaurs

Luckily the big sauropods are relatively slow - a healthy jogger colonist with no speed debuffs (health, gear) will be able to keep in front as long as you make sure they don’t fire and get stuck in reload. (Note: Run and Gun mod makes this trivial)

Then you have your kiting colonist run them once or twice past your colonist pack and even if it deviates, if you’ve got 4 pawns shooting it it’s so big so you almost always hit, and you’re gonna start applying slows to it. I had a converted bolt action rifle, an arbalest, and two one handed crossbows take down a manhunter bronto this way.

Now, manhunter gigantoraptor and galliminius? Gallis can move at like 10/s and just zip, which means taking a few of those to do Giddy Up! caravans would be amazing.

And if you have the mods that add embrasures... well it’s even easier.

...you know I never thought about taming gallis for caravan use, but now...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

Im playing tribals and it was a string of bad luck early game failures. In the archpelago there was one tile of shallow water i couldnt build on to complete the wall so i was hosed. It was the only growable spot on a desert island i was stuck on and i didnt get a bridge built to another island in time. I also hosed up planting bamboo instead of trees because elphants will apparently eat bamboo.

The desert archipelagos are rough because if there are aggressive animals there will only be like 2 rats to eat and then they come after you.

Elephants will eat any sort of young trees if permitted, they make pretty good haulers but the crop eating is a huge nuisance. Re: bridges, you can build walls on heavy bridges once you're able to construct them, and if you also have Medieval Times you can build fences on top of simple bridges too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Does anyone else send logging teams out into other maps?

I love air dropping a team into a spot, setting up a basic shelter and cutting down hundreds of trees to ship back to base. Especially in winter when there's not much else to do. It feels... cozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Demon_Corsair posted:

Hunting dino migrations is extremely ludicrously dangerous. I had a kill hallway with half a dozen modded turrets and 8 or so colonists with charge rifles and 3 melee dudes for backup and decided to hunt a minmi migration. They overran my hallway defenses almost effortlessly and put half of my colonists in the hospital; I only managed to survive due to the plasteel melee weapon guys going all Highlander.

I did end up with about 8000 meat.