Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Headbutts only no oddjob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Flying around in space in 2&3 was weirdly calming, and I hated the nomad a lot less than I was expecting to. For all the flaws of andromeda’s open world, reading the map and navigating the planets was generally pretty intuitive, which I was worried about coming from DA:I’s unreadable maps.

ME1’s uncharted worlds were a chore though, sorry
Crawling over endless blocky rocks to scan minerals was a chore, yeah. But I liked doing stuff like cutting deals with space pirates, taking out a horde of malfunctioning security robots, and other odd-job missions that nonetheless spoke to the themes of the series. ME:A held a lot of promise to do stuff like that, but there are surprisingly few side missions that have any life of their own, and the "random" finds are particularly uninspired.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 9, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Those were all cool but they didn't need to happen in prefab installations on otherwise lifeless blue or red-filtered worlds. We could have done with more focused scenarios that gave us a glimpse of that larger world, like in Mass Effect 2's short but sweet uncharted worlds. This is what the developers of Andromeda utterly failed to understand. They huffed their own "exploration" vapors when Mass Effect's strength was never in its world design, but in the entertaining and complex interactions between characters and galactic civilizations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd like MEA's exploration stuff more if it wasn't constantly shuttling you back and forth between the planets, the ship, towns, and different parts of the Nexus. It's quite rare to really be able to just pack up into the Nomad and go on a nice long adventure, you're constantly being pushed through loading screens and travel time to places you've already been.

That's what killed my third playthrough of the game for the time being.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cythereal posted:

I'd like MEA's exploration stuff more if it wasn't constantly shuttling you back and forth between the planets, the ship, towns, and different parts of the Nexus. It's quite rare to really be able to just pack up into the Nomad and go on a nice long adventure, you're constantly being pushed through loading screens and travel time to places you've already been.

You'd think that would be the easy part to get right after so many games. That—essentially an interface issue—really is the worst reason for ruining the experience.

(Also with 3 playthroughs you might be the magimix of Andromeda)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The thing that killed the joy of exploration in mea for me was that it was just “here is a map with 100 dots, go check out the closest one” and I could never remember why I was going to that dot. Even in ME1, when you went to a planet you had a discernible reason for it. Andromeda was just a list of tasks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Those were all cool but they didn't need to happen in prefab installations on otherwise lifeless blue or red-filtered worlds. We could have done with more focused scenarios that gave us a glimpse of that larger world, like in Mass Effect 2's short but sweet uncharted worlds. This is what the developers of Andromeda utterly failed to understand. They huffed their own "exploration" vapors when Mass Effect's strength was never in its world design, but in the entertaining and complex interactions between characters and galactic civilizations.
Agreed; that's what actually needs to be "remastered" from ME1. Just upping the graphical quality is pointless.

That's basically what I'd like to see, the side missions from ME2 expanded into a whole game. Then you're basically getting Traveller: The Vidyagame, but that's a good thing. What makes all those "side missions" in ME2 work is that they're not totally self-contained, not alienated from the point of the game. Galactic civilization is based on the Citadel, the Citadel is the work of the Reapers, so all governments and corporations are creatures of the Reapers without realizing it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The thing that killed the joy of exploration in mea for me was that it was just “here is a map with 100 dots, go check out the closest one” and I could never remember why I was going to that dot. Even in ME1, when you went to a planet you had a discernible reason for it. Andromeda was just a list of tasks
There's really no excuse for "collect 10 beetle butts" tasks when lack of overall content is not the problem at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rinkles posted:

You'd think that would be the easy part to get right after so many games. That—essentially an interface issue—really is the worst reason for ruining the experience.

(Also with 3 playthroughs you might be the magimix of Andromeda)

I played through the game completionist when it first came out, then played a second, non-completionist game several months later.

My attempt at a third run of the game a couple of months ago crashed to a halt after the initial adventure on Eos with the remnant vault.

The interface really is the worst thing about MEA by a country mile.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I forget if andromeda has an option to filter out the “tasks” missions from appearing on your map, but having something like that would have helped a lot. Just so you could look at the map and quickly see if the closest dot is part of your mission to save the galaxy, or if it’s just the location of the nearest space bear cloaca would help

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I remember there also being some quests that weren't trackable quests. Like I had one to find a bunch of audio-logs from a dead colonist and you had no idea which ones you had picked up, or even how many you had picked up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The map is also less than helpful when trying to figure out where exactly the rover can and can't go, where any paths up might be, and God help you if you're looking for something that's in a cave or some such.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

jesus loving christ

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Moola posted:

jesus loving christ

Game's been out for almost a full year, dude. And my third game ground to a halt about an hour in.

Yeah the game's not good, but it's not literally Satan to sit down and play it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you are history's greatest monster

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Cythereal posted:

Game's been out for almost a full year, dude. And my third game ground to a halt about an hour in.

Bitch it might be

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Moola posted:

EA should re-purpose the MEA assets for a PUBG clone

100 Krogans land on a planet, only one leaves

You joke but exactly what Hi-Rez are doing with Tribes: Ascend, they are also doing it for their OW clone

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

You joke but exactly what Hi-Rez are doing with Tribes: Ascend, they are also doing it for their OW clone

To be fair, Tribes: Ascend should actually scale pretty well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Just... buy another game, Jesus.

Even on your previous Steam, you should be able to pick something up for cheap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forget if andromeda has an option to filter out the “tasks” missions from appearing on your map, but having something like that would have helped a lot. Just so you could look at the map and quickly see if the closest dot is part of your mission to save the galaxy, or if it’s just the location of the nearest space bear cloaca would help

Yeah, that is a close second to the loading screens in terms of this game stepping on its own dick.

The shooting felt good, I liked going out and exploring, but the game got in its way so often.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cyberpunk 2077 will be good

*beep*

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorGonzo posted:

cyberpunk 2077 will be good

*beep*

As a Cyborg-American I am offended by your use of that word.

That's our word.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Just... buy another game, Jesus.

Even on your previous Steam, you should be able to pick something up for cheap.

Oddly enough it does not take several months to play Andromeda. I don't have the game installed right now.

But I suppose it's too late. I've played Andromeda, and the disease is inside me.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Once I decided that Andromeda wasn’t good I stopped playing it, instead of starting a new game two more times.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I decided Andromeda wasn't good after about 10 hours but ended up finishing it to see if it would get good, but it didn't

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Once I decided that Andromeda wasn’t good I stopped playing it, instead of starting a new game two more times.

:same: I think it took about two weeks

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I decided Andromeda is an okay game that every once in a while I get the itch to play despite its flaws.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cythereal posted:

I decided Andromeda is an okay game that every once in a while I get the itch to play despite its flaws.

Did you get kicked in the head by a mule as a child?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hated ME1 and I played it like 5 times because I love ME2/3 and want to do the whole series.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hated ME1 and I played it like 5 times because I love ME2/3 and want to do the whole series.

ME1’s not so bad if you just stay on the critical path and don’t do any side poo poo

If you’re on pc you can just use console cheats to get the specter weapons right out of the gate and go hog wild

I’ve been watching my fiancé play the trilogy for the first time and i think administrator anoleis, a character who appears in two scenes, has more personality than the entire cast of andromeda combined

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Oddly enough it does not take several months to play Andromeda. I don't have the game installed right now.

But I suppose it's too late. I've played Andromeda, and the disease is inside me.

Play Andromeda once, shame on EA. Play Andromeda twice, you can't get fooled again!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cythereal posted:

I mostly play it if my neighbors noise wakes me up in the middle of the night, and on weekends. I played Liam's loyalty mission and it was surprisingly silly and fun. Just another sign of what the game could've been if they'd had their poo poo together.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dick Trauma posted:

I mostly play it if my neighbors noise wakes me up in the middle of the night, and on weekends. I played Liam's loyalty mission and it was surprisingly silly and fun. Just another sign of what the game could've been if they'd had their poo poo together.

the loyalty missions are unironically pretty good!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

Liam’s was the one with the gravity fuckery, right? That ruled.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Liam’s was the one with the gravity fuckery, right? That ruled.

I could go for a whole ME game with that light-hearted, action movie feel. It was refreshing, even though I enjoy the serious stuff too.

Now... just need to find that Salarian ark...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I could go for a whole ME game with that light-hearted, action movie feel. It was refreshing, even though I enjoy the serious stuff too.

So what your saying is, we need a Mass Effect: Citadel game instead of a DLC.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A Citadel adventure game would rock, but knowing that everyone on board eventually gets brutally murdered by the Reapers would kinda bum me out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Moola posted:

A Citadel adventure game would rock, but knowing that everyone on board eventually gets brutally murdered by the Reapers would kinda bum me out.

If you wall yourself off mentally from the idea that the reapers are coming to skullfuck the milky way, you can enjoy your citadel adventure day for as long as you want to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02_1G2ABIeI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Andromeda has shown that wishy washy attempts to divorce the series from the ending of ME3 suck total rear end and if there's ever a new Mass Effect game the writers should have the confidence and intellect to pick an ending or move forward with some combination of the two (excluding Synthesis which everyone knows is terrible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
mass effect is dead. the next mass effect game with be a f2p clash of clans clone to cash in on nostalgia with as little effort as possible. EA has learned its lesson and will employ no more than 5 interns to work on the next game to ensure profitability