Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

nullfunction posted:

How many players are you looking to host?

I have had success running the Factorio server inside a Docker container on a VPS running CoreOS, but any Linux should do if you're willing to get a little dirty.

We had ~8 players and a megabase before it started impacting the other workloads on a 2CPU / 2048MB machine. This box was also doing real time DSP which consumes a core on its own, and this was 0.14, I think, so Factorio has been optimized greatly since. If it was just Factorio running I'm confident it would have scaled way further.

There's no fancy tools or anything like you'd get with a game host, but if you've already got a VPS somewhere (or can find one cheap) it may be worth a look.

I don't know where to get a VPS for cheaper than $4/mo, but the Nitrado game server is handling our lovely 100 SPM base so far with 0 issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Foehammer posted:

I don't know where to get a VPS for cheaper than $4/mo, but the Nitrado game server is handling our lovely 100 SPM base so far with 0 issues.

If it's just a 4 slot server, you're absolutely right, there's no way you'll beat their prices doing it yourself. If you need lots of slots, that changes things significantly and it very quickly becomes cheaper to host your own. Glad to hear it's working out.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

nullfunction posted:

If it's just a 4 slot server, you're absolutely right, there's no way you'll beat their prices doing it yourself. If you need lots of slots, that changes things significantly and it very quickly becomes cheaper to host your own. Glad to hear it's working out.

Look at this guy with more than 3 friends

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A minor update went out today. One of the new features is the ability to precisely pick things up on the ground by "mining" them (holding right click.)

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
More important is a change to how splitters treat lanes, which will break black magic splitter sorters if you have any in your factory

https://gfycat.com/ApprehensiveJampackedIsabellineshrike

New behavior on the left, old on the right (gif stolen shamelessly from reddit). I know the throughput is the same but I always hated how the old way unbalanced my lanes so badly.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jamsque posted:

More important is a change to how splitters treat lanes, which will break black magic splitter sorters if you have any in your factory

https://gfycat.com/ApprehensiveJampackedIsabellineshrike

New behavior on the left, old on the right (gif stolen shamelessly from reddit). I know the throughput is the same but I always hated how the old way unbalanced my lanes so badly.

Huh that's neat.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Awesome!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does it still keep left/right lanes if you have different items on each lane?

e: Looking closer at the bottom example it seems it does.

e2: Just tested it and yep, it does.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 11, 2018

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Does it still keep left/right lanes if you have different items on each lane?

e: Looking closer at the bottom example it seems it does.

Thank god. If that changed it'd ruin my entire base.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

yoloer420 posted:

Thank god. If that changed it'd ruin my entire base.

Yeah, I saw that and didn't even want to log into my base to see for myself.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Splitters can now filter and prioritize both inputs and outputs and holy poo poo this is gonna be amazing

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Splitters can now filter and prioritize both inputs and outputs and holy poo poo this is gonna be amazing

Yeah this week's Friday Facts is a must-read and also something that will probably make you want to stop playing until the changes it discusses are in the game. Besides the splitter changes, which will make a bunch of new and different setups possible, it also seems like a fairly serious nerf to logistics bots is not far in the future.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Those changes wouldn't go through until .17 thought right? Or do you think they'd do them soon?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lorini posted:

Those changes wouldn't go through until .17 thought right? Or do you think they'd do them soon?

Towards the bottom:
"The splitter additions will come with the next 0.16 release."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Unreal_One posted:

Towards the bottom:
"The splitter additions will come with the next 0.16 release."

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that....

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A bot nerf sounds like the opposite of fun. Bot supremacy isn't really noticeable unless building a mega base. You can easily complete a rocket without maxing out the throughput of even a single express belt for anything but iron/copper bars.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jamsque posted:

Yeah this week's Friday Facts is a must-read and also something that will probably make you want to stop playing until the changes it discusses are in the game. Besides the splitter changes, which will make a bunch of new and different setups possible, it also seems like a fairly serious nerf to logistics bots is not far in the future.

I don't read this necessarily as a potential nerf for bots. It sounds like they're really trying to find a way to make belts competitive with bots. All the discussion is about improving belts in ways that are useful late-game where bots currently rule.
and that balancer update is the hottest poo poo yet in .16.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Considering what a pain in the but it is when two ore patches overlap, that filter splitter will be nice.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

Considering what a pain in the but it is when two ore patches overlap, that filter splitter will be nice.

Seriously. The most "elegant" solution I've seen is a line of miners straddling the line and depositing onto a dedicated "mixed" belt, filter inserters sorting out bits, and plugging the sorted belts into spurs into the main lines.

Also I've lost count of the number of times I've wanted a switchover, where I have parallel lines and I actually want the right belt on the left and vice versa. These could greatly simplify that.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah i'm pretty stoked about the splitter changes. it's going to make a lot of poo poo a lot easier. i like to play with pretty much all belts, so better belt control is always good. this is a nice easy way to deal with half lane merging/sorting and poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems like the intention is that belts should be better than bots in at least some situations, so that the "optimal" way to play the game involves actually interacting with those systems instead of just crapping out a bunch of requester->factory->provider sets.

So yeah, a bot nerf could be coming if they can't buff belts enough to at least be competitive some of the time.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

boo_radley posted:

I don't read this necessarily as a potential nerf for bots. It sounds like they're really trying to find a way to make belts competitive with bots. All the discussion is about improving belts in ways that are useful late-game where bots currently rule.
and that balancer update is the hottest poo poo yet in .16.

Most of it is about belts but the conclusion is a pretty definitive "we want to nerf bots". They will either remove the research for increased bot carrying capacity or increase charging time. I would be ok with either or even both tbh but the concept of a "stack belt" sounds pretty great and I would love to see it happen. I agree with their overall premise that belts are much more interesting than bots, I love bots but it just removes all the challenge from the game if you switch to using nothing but bot swarms.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Moving away from the ideal factory being a pile of chests and beacons with a few assemblers and a million robots would be great but good luck. That said I'm super stoked for these splitter changes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Trains > Bots anyway

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I wonder if it wouldn't help to have some "magic" N-to-M belt balancer tiles to replace the current spaghetti nest that is balancing with just splitters. Something like a 4x2 and an 8x2 building that you can configure to have up to 4 or 8 inputs and outputs, and it does the splitting for you. Not strictly necessary, but certainly convenient.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hopefully if they nerf bots they can bring the logistics system back a little earlier in the tech tree.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

M_Gargantua posted:

Trains > Bots anyway

Yes, but have you considered train-bots?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Logistics bots always feel kinda cheaty to me anyways. I dunno, I'm weird. However for nuclear reactors, they're super useful, as those drat things are hard to make belt-accessible.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'd love to see something like a smart belt that routed items around like a computer network works. You lay it like a normal belt (maybe make it bidirectional by default), and chests connect to it. If a chest makes a request, the nearest provider agrees and dispatches it out and you can watch it make its journey around. I don't want to replace iron/copper/steel transport belts with it, but it'd be a nice way to add those 'sometimes' or low use components to the bus without having to run a whole bunch of extra lines.

It fits the 'Hey man, "How It's Made" was the poo poo' vibe the game puts out better than a swarm of crazy flying robots, and that kind of smart routing/sorting is present in things like big mail processing hubs.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bot nerf: implement collision in mid-air for logistics bots :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There was an idea I saw floated in the comments under the Friday Facts to limit the total number of bots your logistics network can support to a single global number, regardless of how many ports you have built, and then have an infinite research option to increase that limit. It would a pretty big nerf, but it would at least make it possible to eventually work your way up to being able to support enough bots that they obsolete belts. I'm not sure how you'd elegantly work it into the existing game systems without feeling forced though, since Factorio doesn't really have any other RTS style hard production caps.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

What if bots took like a tenth of a second to interact with a chest, during which time no other bot could interact with it? Would that just make storage chest areas huge, or would it actually affect throughput?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Bot nerf: implement collision in mid-air for logistics bots :v:

Factorio: (constant bonking and clanking noses)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

boo_radley posted:

Factorio: (constant bonking and clanking noses)

better yet, when they collide it causes damage, which summons construction bots to repair them :xd:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Gadzuko posted:

Most of it is about belts but the conclusion is a pretty definitive "we want to nerf bots". They will either remove the research for increased bot carrying capacity or increase charging time. I would be ok with either or even both tbh but the concept of a "stack belt" sounds pretty great and I would love to see it happen. I agree with their overall premise that belts are much more interesting than bots, I love bots but it just removes all the challenge from the game if you switch to using nothing but bot swarms.

Either of these nerfs can be easily worked around simply by building more bots and/or roboports.

Adding hitboxes and collision detection to logistics bots might be interesting. It would certainly remove the UPS benefits of bots, and would probably make bots less useful for bulk items.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Making each square of robots have a local robot cap would fix it.

Make each zone be limited to 9 roboports max, and robots cant fly between different zones. You can either have all 9 in close proximity for something like your mall or spread out for construction bot coverage. Make it so you have to choose between construction and logistics bots by making them apply equally toward the same cap.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Making each square of robots have a local robot cap would fix it.

Make each zone be limited to 9 roboports max, and robots cant fly between different zones. You can either have all 9 in close proximity for something like your mall or spread out for construction bot coverage. Make it so you have to choose between construction and logistics bots by making them apply equally toward the same cap.

So now railyards have to be built on the corner of those squares?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's been a long-running complaint of mine that Factorio has this great feature (belt lanes) but offers almost no tools to allow you to use it effectively.

This splitter update is a good start but I'd like to see more control. Specifically, the ability to switch off individual lanes in the splitter GUI.

It'd also be nice if inserters could be told which lane to drop stuff in, as per the Ctrl+F and Ctrl+Shift+F hotkeys in Side Inserters.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Do most of y'all play with expensive recipes or the basic recipes? Are basic recipes with trains still fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IMO, expensive recipes is mostly something to do if you feel you've mastered the basic recipes, but don't want to step it up to a full-on modpack or something. It gives you a reason to come up with new designs instead of sticking with the sames ones you've always been using.

If you're just starting out, stick to the basic recipes.