Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(takes a quick break from doing "reader poop mailbags") BILL SIMMONS SAID WHAT?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

but Drew Magary is a good writer

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah I love his takes on being a dad who still knows how to swear or whatever.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

if nothing else, he gave us a correct opinion of the most loathsome people from the past year

https://www.gq.com/story/least-influential-people-2017

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

he isn't and I'm surprised he didn't show up on the lovely Media Men list like all his other Deadspin buddies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tony ate a hot pepper before the showdown on ATH today

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

he isn't and I'm surprised he didn't show up on the lovely Media Men list like all his other Deadspin buddies

There were like two people affiliated with Deadspin on that list

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

There were like two people affiliated with Deadspin on that list

Greg Howard, Daulerio, Xmas Ape, Craggs, Boniface is a lot more than "like two"

also note the total absence of Barstool people on that list

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

it's difficult to sexually harass women when they all already know not to be within 30 feet of you

also, it was a list of journalists/media members. not bros who have computers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Neither are really journalists unless journalism is scouring Reddit and Twitter for whatever's trending and writing up a short recap of it. They're both mainly aggregators.

I mean Deadspin will fork over some money to a real writer every month to write a piece on their site. A sometimes one of their writers will do the same when they're not busy sexually assaulting their coworkers.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Bill Simmons hasn't written anything good in years and part of me thinks the only reason I ever read his stuff was because I didn't know any better. Drew Magary is consistently entertaining and writes the best skin-deep weekly NFL preview.

That said Grantland/The Ringer are both great and Simmons is employing/has employed some great writers. I love the Ringer NFL Show podcast, I'll listen to anything that Chris Ryan is in, and somehow listening to David Shoemaker and Bryan Curtis talk is incredibly soothing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Greg Howard, Daulerio, Xmas Ape, Craggs, Boniface is a lot more than "like two"

Boniface's entry on that list is the hilarious one: something like "No specific sexual harassment, but just a loving terrible human being".

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
RIP Keith Jackson, apparently

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ah poo poo, yeah sounds like he passed last night :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Boniface's entry on that list is the hilarious one: something like "No specific sexual harassment, but just a loving terrible human being".

"Something Awful forums poster"

It also said he had reports from men and women

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Absolute goddamn GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TosJRlDgKCA

https://twitter.com/_brandoc/status/952201292352430085

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was reading a few Jackson stories earlier today.

Apparently "Whoa Nellie" came his grandfather. Nellie was a mule.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was reading a few Jackson stories earlier today.

Apparently "Whoa Nellie" came his grandfather. Nellie was a mule.

Uh, phrasing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Glazer has jumped from UFC to Bellator, but will maintain his NFL/Fox work

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

How will this affect his presence in the Ballers universe?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sirius/xm now has an entire channel dedicated to the bartstool shitheads

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DJExile posted:

sirius/xm now has an entire channel dedicated to the bartstool shitheads

a good way to measure how many drivers have truck testicles.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in finally getting with the times, nbc will stream the olympic opening ceremonies live

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/olympics/opening-ceremony-winter-olympics-2018-pyeongchang-nbc-delayed-broadcast-live-20180117.html

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Finally the chance to watch the excitement of people marching without having it spoiled.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

On today's edition of Bill Simmons Bitches About Literally Everything: Bill bitches that he didn't get a credit line on "OJ: Made In America"

Bill posted:

What happened with the O.J. doc, it’s going to take a while to get over that one because they didn’t even put me in the credits. When it was promoted and stuff, I was never mentioned in any of that. And it was like, that was Ezra’s thing, I didn’t give notes on it, once it was developing and it was going, but to me the fact that the O.J. thing won an Oscar and that we even did it was the natural outcome of seven years of innovation. … To not even be in the credits for it, I thought was really petty.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am delighted by the thought of Bill patiently sitting through the credits just to see his name and then getting furious when it doesn't show up

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Natural outcome of seven years of innovation? Huh? Does Bill know that sports documentaries existed before 30 for 30? HBO has been cranking out great ones for over 20 years. That you convinced ESPN to commit money and airtime to documentaries is commendable but nothing is really all that innovative about 30 for 30.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Natural outcome of seven years of innovation? Huh? Does Bill know that sports documentaries existed before 30 for 30? HBO has been cranking out great ones for over 20 years. That you convinced ESPN to commit money and airtime to documentaries is commendable but nothing is really all that innovative about 30 for 30.

Eh, there's a big difference between the HBO sports docs and 30 for 30s. The HBO ones are fine but they're extremely formulaic and adhere to a pretty strict house style. ESPN gave a lot more freedom to the filmmakers to do their own thing. It's still hilarious that he's angry at not being in the credits for a movie that he admits he had no actual involvement in.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

someone just send him a replica Oscar so he can shut up. That's what this is about.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

quote:

Natural outcome of seven years of innovation

but enough about how I lost my virginity

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I've watched yesterday and today's episodes of Around the Horn and Tony Riali gets an A for his coverage and commentary of the Nassar trial. I haven't seen that much coverage of it on ESPN aside from his show and the Outside the Lines episode. And its been the same kind of around the news network. Turns out when a giant orange gasbag is about to shut down the government, coverage of other things falls by the wayside.

I'm very curious how NBC is going to handle it over the course of the Winter Olympics. They would have a great excuse to avoid it completely since it's the Winter Games and gymnastics is a summer event, but they lived so far up the rear end in a top hat of the Karyolis every four years that it would be a shame if they didn't come out and say "you know what, we were wrong, we were covering these people while they were covering for a monster and we hosed up."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reali has absolutely come a long way from being Stat Boy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm very curious how NBC is going to handle it over the course of the Winter Olympics. They would have a great excuse to avoid it completely since it's the Winter Games and gymnastics is a summer event, but they lived so far up the rear end in a top hat of the Karyolis every four years that it would be a shame if they didn't come out and say "you know what, we were wrong, we were covering these people while they were covering for a monster and we hosed up."

Doing nothing isn't the worst possible response.

https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/954441768426237953

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AsInHowe posted:

Doing nothing isn't the worst possible response.

https://twitter.com/DanMurphyESPN/status/954441768426237953

jesus loving christ

I was all onboard for burning down the entire penn state campus after the Sandusky trial but at least they launched everyone who covered that poo poo up into the sun.

we need a giant earthquake to strike East Lansing or something.

edit: even if it is not your fault (and I'm definitely not saying if it is or isn't), if you are the president of a university where a doctor has abused dozens of athletes, and the athletic program covered it up, you shouldn't have your job, or indeed any job in charge of a college or university ever again.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I've watched yesterday and today's episodes of Around the Horn and Tony Riali gets an A for his coverage and commentary of the Nassar trial. I haven't seen that much coverage of it on ESPN aside from his show and the Outside the Lines episode. And its been the same kind of around the news network. Turns out when a giant orange gasbag is about to shut down the government, coverage of other things falls by the wayside.

I don’t see what they need to apologize for. It’s not their job to oversee USA Gymnastics so it seems like quite a reach to me to say they need to say they were wrong for something.

If they knew and still did nothing, sure, but it seems pretty clear to me that USA Gymnastics and the USOC went to great lengths to make sure it didn’t get past them to any of these outlets.

I do think they have an obligation to at least mention it though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/954492643584585728

Rip ESPN

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:laffo:

Oh my God, after the way he set NBC on fire, then run CNN into the ground and turned it into an utter joke? :laugh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

:laffo:

Oh my God, after the way he set NBC on fire, then run CNN into the ground and turned it into an utter joke? :laugh:

Yeah, but the bottom line! :downs:

(see also railroads and their fetish with hunter harrison, who made the shareholders a lot of money but kicked a lot of spending down the road which ultimately made it worse when all the track and locomotive repairs that got deferred came back to bite them in the rear end hard)

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Zucker is like the Anti-Midas... everything he touches turns to poo poo.

Why he is still sought after baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robnoxious posted:

Why he is still sought after baffles me.

He is a very, very, very, very good politician who has made a career of taking credit for other people's successes and shifting blame for his failures to others.