Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It's just going to be more episodes of "Doing Work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I was a Cool Teen, I could throw a pretty decent spiral. I'm not claiming to be some superstar, but I could throw accurately and with ok distance. Then one day, I remember it was in the parking lot of Kyle Field my senior year, I was tossing the football with some buds and I thought about throwing a spiral, how I threw it, and suddenly I couldn't throw one for poo poo anymore. In fact, ever since then, I can't throw a football to save my life. It's an enduring case of the yips.

I wonder if that's what happened to Fultz.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
gently caress you guys.
Fultz got some 💩 with him. The hesi pull-up jimbo was smooth. Probably don't understand what I just said if u don't REALLY hoop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/status/951942855676911616

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I hope Masai stays with the Raptors forever because he's an excellent human being (and also very good at his job).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

But yeah watching the NBA really does give viewers the wrong idea of how difficult playing basketball really is. The players are so good that they get to take a bunch of things for granted. It's not like it's actually easy to beat an early trap, but every single NBA point guard can do it so effortlessly that you never see full-court pressure because it's almost guaranteed to put the defense behind. PGs look like they're not protecting the ball because they're so confident in their reflexes that reach = teach guaranteed. The fact that the shortest person on the court is 6'5" can trick the eye into thinking that these aren't lightning-fast giants who could just kinda of stand next to a normal person and easily stop any attempt they might make to shoot or drive or pass or really protect the ball in any way

Yea, the NBA level is underappreciated by many. That's why the NCAA champion should play the worst NBA team a week after the title game as a yearly reminder.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Also, today the Raptors finally have their marquee matchup against Cleveland.....without Lowry or Ibaka. I guess they're already setting up the excuses for losing and Lowry was an accident, but fucks sakes Ibaka, did you really need to throw that elbow?

The Cavaliers are either trash this year or are completely sleepwalking.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's just going to be more episodes of "Doing Work".

MJ would've had this happen if he'd hung around but he knew to keep retiring while the players got tired and deprecated. It's highly unlikely that Jordan would win titles from 1991 to 1998 uninterrupted.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Kobe came to my work and showed "Dear Basketball." He seemed like a smart, kind of weird, awkward dude.

He also claimed he played a WCF (I think it was WCF) game against Denver to Beethoven's 5th symphony internally in his head.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Toronto alternate court

I'm so sick and tired of the lack of color in all of Toronto life and I dont even live there anymore. Bring back purple. This is too clean, it's sterile

The SAC alternate court is great:
https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/9/14/16308890/sacramento-kings-new-global-alternate-court

Lockback posted:

...they are the best team that's not a real contender (GSW, Hou, Bos, Tor are above. Cleveland gets a free pass into contender status).

euphronius posted:

Every year we wonder about Clevelands defense.

And then the playoffs start.

Away all Goats posted:

Cavs look wobbly every year. Last year they ended the season with a below .500 record after the ASB and dropped 2 games against the Hawk's D League team. They still crushed the East in the playoffs

CLE is looking worse than they have in a long time. They've had mediocre D in recent years (and didn't win the title) which was kind of expected. Now they have the 29th best D in the whole league.

IF they make it to the finals this year it'll be hilarious and LBJ will prove that the regular season is meaningless to him. Also, it's not good as CLE usually slows down even more as March and April roll around. If they make it to the finals they'll probably be the weakest team to do so since the 40-42 1981 Rockets with a negative SRS.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
CBM, that Pelican fan site I told you about has another good article out. This time, it's about trying to see if lineup or rotation changes can improve the team: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2018/01/12/a-deep-dive-into-rotations/

Seems the overall takeaway is that there is little to no drop-off in offense as long as two of Jrue, Davis, and Cousins is on the floor. Defensively, though... the team just can't keep pairing Rondo and Cousins with other poor or physically overmatched defenders.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

This season feels odd, the media is depressed about the lack of narrative...

The narrative is that GSW is the only team on the dance floor and the other 29 are spectators. Kind of like John Travolta in SNF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT2daisxdvA&t=19s

A reference for non-DBZ people.

They have hundreds of options to go from here.

$35K fine for one phone slap.

Smellyhead posted:

Have there been an extraordinary amount of injuries this year? It feels like it but maybe I'm just exaggerating it because there have been some sickening ones that I can never unsee.

It seems like every year teams are giving more people some minutes:

code:
Year	 NBA Players
2015	 492
2017	 486
2014 	 482
2018 	 479

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 13, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spite posted:

Kobe came to my work and showed "Dear Basketball." He seemed like a smart, kind of weird, awkward dude.

He also claimed he played a WCF (I think it was WCF) game against Denver to Beethoven's 5th symphony internally in his head.

Bless kobe

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

If Nikola Tesla were alive today he'd totally be posting flat earth conspiracy poo poo on instagram every day

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there's no way this ball/lakers saga doesn't end with kobe coaching the team to 18 wins

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

EvanTH posted:

he's like a foot taller than the god damned door

I assume Boban has properly sized doors in his house, which is at the top of a beanstalk

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ratzinc posted:

gently caress you guys.
Fultz got some 💩 with him. The hesi pull-up jimbo was smooth. Probably don't understand what I just said if u don't REALLY hoop.

What is this uncrackable code? What's a jimbo? I have a mate named jimbo.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

CBM, that Pelican fan site I told you about has another good article out. This time, it's about trying to see if lineup or rotation changes can improve the team: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2018/01/12/a-deep-dive-into-rotations/

Seems the overall takeaway is that there is little to no drop-off in offense as long as two of Jrue, Davis, and Cousins is on the floor. Defensively, though... the team just can't keep pairing Rondo and Cousins with other poor or physically overmatched defenders.

Awesome, gonna read this. It's so hard to accept that Rondo turned into one of the worst defenders in the league, I swear he didn't used to be so bad but maybe I didn't know anything about basketball back when the Celtics won the championship with him. What's the cap situation look like next year? Are they pretty locked into the team that they have, or can they seek out some plus defenders/wings to pair with Boogie?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What is this uncrackable code? What's a jimbo? I have a mate named jimbo.

https://twitter.com/kdtrey5/status/882033584957136896?lang=en

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Awesome, gonna read this. It's so hard to accept that Rondo turned into one of the worst defenders in the league, I swear he didn't used to be so bad but maybe I didn't know anything about basketball back when the Celtics won the championship with him. What's the cap situation look like next year? Are they pretty locked into the team that they have, or can they seek out some plus defenders/wings to pair with Boogie?

They are pretty much locked into this roster. They may actually lose Rondo, Clark, and Allen since they are all on one year contracts. Diallo is in the final year of his two year rookie contract. Not sure if there is anyone else expiring.

As far as Rondo on defense back in his Celtics days, I have no idea. I didn't understand basketball nearly as well back then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He had a major foot injury since then, also it's been close to a decade since those boston big 4 days.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Rondo was an above average defender back in the day

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

chunkles posted:

I assume Boban has properly sized doors in his house, which is at the top of a beanstalk

I loled

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

did he tweet that in Cyrillic or something I can't make out a single word, completely illegible

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

EvanTH posted:

did he tweet that in Cyrillic or something I can't make out a single word, completely illegible

sounds like you don't really hoop

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Carlosologist posted:

if Walton gets fired does he get another HC job right away or does he go back to being an assistant? he has to have a mulligan for these last two seasons given the clown show going on in LA

he'd definitely be a hot pick for somebody like Milwaukee or Philly or whoever

A lot of NBA jobs are determined by who the league office people like, who's friends with GMs, who's friends with ownership. Steve Kerr got the Warriors job because he was connected to the spurs and bulls, which got him in the door in Phoenix, he became golfing buddies with several owners, especially Joe Lacob, which lead to him getting the GSW job.

Rick Carlisle got fired in Detroit, because he's a Thibodeau esque basketball genius who wasn't friends with management and didn't especially get along with his players. There's no way he wouldn't have won the championship with the roster Larry "Next Town" Brown had. And maybe more.

What walton has is pedigree, as in his father,career record, even including built to tank LA teams, and his reputation as a smart coach.

I think he'd have an easy time getting a job, I don't know if he'd be first in line for the best possible job, that would be someone who's playing low impact sports with owners and club presidents.

These are generalities and different organizations have different criterion collections of traits they search for. The worse the team, the more likely a local favorite or pure developmental guy will be hired, to take media bullets.
The better the team, the more owners and league connections seem to play in.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 13, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

sounds like you don't really hoop

хеси пулл-уп йимбо

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/nuggets/status/951986422738706434

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How is Indy in the game with the Cavs?? I thought it was going to be a blowout by the Cavs

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Rabid Snake posted:

How is Indy in the game with the Cavs?? I thought it was going to be a blowout by the Cavs

Lance

Stephenson

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

there's nothing more dangerous in sports than a 20 point first half lead

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Denver... delet this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ava/status/951988548894248960?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eios%7Ctwgr%5Ecom.apple.UIKit.activity.Message

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Denver... delet this

teams should be fined for promoting a plumlee, come here and pay money to watch A Plumlee is not in the interests of the NBA on any level

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
dokmo can I see some Levert/Allen PnR clips pretty please

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hoiberg and the bulls posing with the director of Slam Dunk Ernest

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

R.D. Mangles posted:

teams should be fined for promoting a plumlee, come here and pay money to watch A Plumlee is not in the interests of the NBA on any level

plumbum

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Dejan Bimble posted:

A lot of NBA jobs are determined by who the league office people like, who's friends with GMs, who's friends with ownership. Steve Kerr got the Warriors job because he was connected to the spurs and bulls, which got him in the door in Phoenix, he became golfing buddies with several owners, especially Joe Lacob, which lead to him getting the GSW job.

Rick Carlisle got fired in Detroit, because he's a Thibodeau esque basketball genius who wasn't friends with management and didn't especially get along with his players. There's no way he wouldn't have won the championship with the roster Larry "Next Town" Brown had. And maybe more.

What walton has is pedigree, as in his father,career record, even including built to tank LA teams, and his reputation as a smart coach.

I think he'd have an easy time getting a job, I don't know if he'd be first in line for the best possible job, that would be someone who's playing low impact sports with owners and club presidents.

These are generalities and different organizations have different criterion collections of traits they search for. The worse the team, the more likely a local favorite or pure developmental guy will be hired, to take media bullets.
The better the team, the more owners and league connections seem to play in.

It's not who you are, it's who you know.

And that your dad is probably the best weed hookup on the planet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/rudygobert27/status/952018440411385856

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:circlefap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Remember when the Ringer said fire Thibs

• Locked thread