Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

If you acquire Zac Rinaldo, then your players do not need to play against Zac Rinaldo.

but they have to play with zac rinaldo

nobody wins

except maybe zac rinaldo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

yellowcar posted:

but they have to play with zac rinaldo

No because he'll be on suspension.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Olympics, and the World Cup have very native effects on poorer communities in the host areas. Between massive tax breaks (aka Public Wealth turned Private), displacement and gentrification to build new venues, and militarization of police and reduction of civil liberties (Brazil's crackdown on the Barrios as an example), it goes beyond "hey, i'll go watch the olympics on my lunch break, this is cool".

I'm not singling you out, but yeah, gently caress the olympics, I'm glad the NHL didn't send anyone so now I have no reason to watch.

Summer Olympics in developing countries, perhaps. Given that winter sports, by and large, are for rich(er) people and take place in already fairly expensive and developed places, I doubt the issues above are really a factor. I would say that Vancouver as a whole benefited from it. 2 new venues were built, one for speed skating, the other for curling. The Speed skating arena (Richmond Oval) is now an incredibly busy, multi-sport/community facility and the curling center got turned into a very popular aquatic facility.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the big thing for the Olympics is to have a solid plan for the buildings after the events are over.

When Atlanta had theirs, they already knew what would happen to the housing, it would go to a local college (I think Georgia tech)

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Summer Olympics in developing countries, perhaps. Given that winter sports, by and large, are for rich(er) people and take place in already fairly expensive and developed places, I doubt the issues above are really a factor. I would say that Vancouver as a whole benefited from it. 2 new venues were built, one for speed skating, the other for curling. The Speed skating arena (Richmond Oval) is now an incredibly busy, multi-sport/community facility and the curling center got turned into a very popular aquatic facility.

Dont forget the Canada line connecting the airport and Richmond to downtown... id say that alone was worth it

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
And urban renewal downtown!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

grack posted:

And urban renewal downtown!

greeeeeeeat

Angry Asian posted:

Dont forget the Canada line connecting the airport and Richmond to downtown... id say that alone was worth it

was planned anyhow IIRC, and got the added bonus of having platforms too small for longer trains due to whoever the contractor was

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What's going on with the Devils? I haven't watched them much over the holiday, but I see they dropped five straight. Was expecting them to pick up, if anything, with Zajac back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Angry Asian posted:

Not to mention turning the Sea to Sky Highway into a mostly driveable road instead of a constant reminder of your tenuous grip on existence.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2018

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Chad Sexington posted:

What's going on with the Devils? I haven't watched them much over the holiday, but I see they dropped five straight. Was expecting them to pick up, if anything, with Zajac back.

lots of called back goals, poor defending, and questionable lineup decisions

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Hedman out 3-6 weeks.

Release the koekkoek.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/951903188348674048

Good lord.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Good news, Canucks fans:

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/951952351425908736

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

so is there an article to accompany this hot hot headline or....?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

yellowcar posted:

so is there an article to accompany this hot hot headline or....?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-example-model-rebuild/

Olympic Goaltender Corey Hirsch is the culprit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nobody understands how horrible intrusive thoughts are. nobody ever takes it seriously. maybe now you fuckers will understand.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

lots of called back goals, poor defending, and questionable lineup decisions

They've also picked up 3 points in the 5 games

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
"I, however, am optimistic and feel good about the direction this team is going in, and the reason is Benning and Linden."

"Have all their signings been perfect?

No, but character is something that can be passed on."

That last part is so perfect for the double meaning.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Oh well that's a relief

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
SKILL.....skill comes and goes BUT character! Character is forever.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Actually it seems like literally every team that's been to a cup final, win or lose, since 2011 is doing miles better than Vancouver. It's not a model rebuild.

Edit: every team since the 05 lockout really.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 13, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

corey hirsch is a cool guy but i guess there are nhl players who don't get into scouting/coaching/whatever after their career

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Actually it seems like literally every team that's been to a cup final, win or lose, since 2011 is doing miles better than Vancouver. It's not a model rebuild.

Sens
Oilers

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You don't say

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jonny Nox posted:

Sens
Oilers

Sens made the ECF last year (but yeah they suck poo poo now) and the Oilers have McDavid.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

and the Oilers have McDavid.

And no cap space next year.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/952043061193920512

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Also in the news that I may be blind and didn't see here

Matt Murray is on "indefinite" personal leave and is up in Canada with his family. I have no idea what that is but it sounds scary. Like either a member of his family is sick or if he is having some of his own issues mentally.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Patrik Laine was born a bridge troll.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

You lose to Vancouver ONCE and this is what happens.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Torts strikes again!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I still can't believe how badly his parents screwed up, good grief.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That Maroon goal featured a sick effort by Mcdavid. Wow.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

TRADE HIM TO DETROIT

INCLUDE ZACH WERENSKI

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

TRADE HIM TO DETROIT

INCLUDE ZACH WERENSKI

No, Detroit is just starting their Vancouver phase. You need to trade AA to Chicago for Seabrook and Bouma.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
You know who has cap space and a couple of good first round picks?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

TRADE HIM TO DETROIT

Not old enough and not from michigan. Holland won't even glance at him

E: oh lmao he just turned 31 today, welp

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is Jack Johnson still one of the worst NHL regulars?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

yellowcar posted:

Torts strikes again!

Portzline states that it's more to do with trying to maximize his value in free agency, as the (well-publicized) bankruptcy case hasn't left him with much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Is Jack Johnson still one of the worst NHL regulars?

According to HERO charts, he's a suitable 2nd line Dman who gets too many minutes.

• Locked thread