Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Breetai posted:

*goatse, but with one pinkie finger delicately raised*

"No I swear the Grey Poupon is in there, look deeper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Breetai posted:

*goatse, but with one pinkie finger delicately raised*
No ring. Christ's bleedin' barnhole, mate, pull yourself together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We finally got round to eating the rich, then?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

img_triumph_trying_not_to_say_it.gif

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed 50 foot ant's Humpermonkey ex military persona. I still keep that story about serving at an outpost in Germany during the winter that turned out to be a former nazi lodge or something. Its pretty good and spooky.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Charles Bukowski posted:

I enjoyed 50 foot ant's Humpermonkey ex military persona. I still keep that story about serving at an outpost in Germany during the winter that turned out to be a former nazi lodge or something. Its pretty good and spooky.

Agreed. It wasn't fine literature, but it was entertaining bullshit to read on a cold winter day.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Yeah, it was pretty good but he should've had his own thread and not taken over the ghost stories thread for 1000s of words at a time. Speaking of, where the hell did those go? I liked the dumb goon ghost stories.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

empty sea posted:

Yeah, it was pretty good but he should've had his own thread and not taken over the ghost stories thread for 1000s of words at a time. Speaking of, where the hell did those go? I liked the dumb goon ghost stories.

They got shitposted to death.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a way to relive the night GBS dropped the rules, the speedy destruction of megathreads as posters turned against their idols was absolutely magical.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

empty sea posted:

The most recent one I have bookmarked is dead in gbs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Eox posted:

I wish there was a way to relive the night GBS dropped the rules, the speedy destruction of megathreads as posters turned against their idols was absolutely magical.

everyone has fond memories of gbstallnacht but I think hellbastard's downfall was probably the funniest

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cock hero flux posted:

everyone has fond memories of gbstallnacht but I think hellbastard's downfall was probably the funniest

:frogon:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Someone can probably give a much better account of it than I can but the gist of it is that hellbastard had a giant megathread in which he posted an mspaint comic about a wacky badass pirate named captain half-face jack mcbastard or something like that. He posted comics in that thread for years and the thread praised him endlessly and basically never criticized him. Then the rules went away, and this state of affairs changed dramatically as hordes upon hordes of people poured into his thread to trash his dumb pirate comic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The best was the SCP thread where there was a rule against making fun of the SCP darling entry about how good child rape is. The day the rules fell was a great reckoning

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's a crime that Hellbastard's thread didn't get goldmined. It was like the hyenas in the Lion King.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reminds me of the old gbs guy who did the advent calendar threads where everyone typed like brain damaged Dickensian orphans, who got outed as a furry and eaten alive by new gbs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw, the greatest sagas of the SA forums thread is excellent:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826

Check it:

a hole-y ghost posted:

Here, I'll quote the first post that kicked off the entry of the HellBastard thread into New GBS.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

purple death ray posted:

Reminds me of the old gbs guy who did the advent calendar threads where everyone typed like brain damaged Dickensian orphans, who got outed as a furry and eaten alive by new gbs

i actually liked those threads. they were cute.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

purple death ray posted:

chrimbo?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Charles Bukowski posted:

Do you have any of the other stories? I've been trying to find the ones where he gets into a fight with a half-track (IT STARTED IT!!!) and the one where he had a fistfight vs a superior officer on top of an ammo palette.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Wiggle he!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Do you have any of the other stories? I've been trying to find the ones where he gets into a fight with a half-track (IT STARTED IT!!!) and the one where he had a fistfight vs a superior officer on top of an ammo palette.

There's a bunch here: http://nothotbutspicy.com/para/

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I distinctly recall them not being ghost stories, what the gently caress is this

E: I was talking about his military base stories that are usually what get goons all hosed off, where did this ghost story BS come from

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I distinctly recall them not being ghost stories, what the gently caress is this

E: I was talking about his military base stories that are usually what get goons all hosed off, where did this ghost story BS come from

I'm pretty sure the post you quoted is about his ghost stories

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

purple death ray posted:

Two different people, I'm afraid. The original one was by Bulmer, who is a generally normal, if weird, sing-y person who does art and lives in a magical place known as Manchester.

The one you're thinking of is The Glavwen, who is Welsh and turned out to have a furry for a wife who did the art for that advent calendar.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go. But I've recently seen some of the newer CGI ones and I have the distinct impression that those probably won't age quite as gracefully.

mind the walrus posted:

I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Well, the trains do have to run on time.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mycroft Holmes posted:

they started to be a lot less cute the year he kept it going until like loving april. good riddance

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm also glad SA managed to chase away a bunch of it's content creators in the name of GBS shitposters rights to say friend of the family and tranny and whatever other foul bullshit was apparently only constrained by the rules telling them not to post like reprehensible shitheaps.

Thankfully those rules were abolished. And then unrelatedly /pol/ and it's ilk sprung up bit after that. GBS isn't quite /pol/ of course, but maybe /pol/-lite.

:thunk:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sunken fleet posted:

I'm also glad SA managed to chase away a bunch of it's content creators in the name of GBS shitposters rights to say friend of the family and tranny and whatever other foul bullshit was apparently only constrained by the rules telling them not to post like reprehensible shitheaps.

Thankfully those rules were abolished. And then unrelatedly /pol/ and it's ilk sprung up bit after that. GBS isn't quite /pol/ of course, but maybe /pol/-lite.

That's a terrible post right there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sunken fleet posted:

Your implied causation is a little shaky there... Are you saying that the GBS content creators left to create /pol/?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krankenstyle posted:

Your implied causation is a little shaky there... Are you saying that the GBS content creators left to create /pol/?

Not my forum? Not my forum? You don't get it. We could have been a Pepe. We could have been a contender. We could have been some Nazi. Instead of being a dying Web 1.0 forum, like we are, let's face it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Krankenstyle posted:

I just think it's funny how now a couple years later there is a bunch of handwringing about not letting the nazis say their nazi poo poo wherever and whenever they want but we here on SA already had that conversation a long time ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not my forum? Not my forum? You don't get it. We could have been a Pepe. We could have been a contender. We could have been some Nazi. Instead of being a dying Web 1.0 forum, like we are, let's face it.

We could have been a Pepe but instead we were Slenderman

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Bring back LF i wanna hear their take on nazi pepes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The last vestiges of the old net, right here. And we will hold fast to the old ways. The right ways. We will hold fast. Until the last user leaves, until the last byte of memory on the empty server goes cold, until the dead server is dismantled, until the dismantled parts are rust and dust and rot and lost to time, this dying forum, and the old ways it represents, will persist.

Hold fast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We could have been a Pepe but instead we were Slenderman

For a dead gay forum we sure do get a lot of movies made about us.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

quote:

No, it is true. The internet place is for people like my social networking son and his facebook and twitter. And one day there will be no more Web 2.0. And men like you will go too, like the Goons. And new people will come, work, struggle. Some will make their life. But once, we were here.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I am embarrassed by how moved I am by this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sunken fleet posted:

I'm probably gonna get laughed at for agreeing to the basics of this post, but I do. GBS became the worst forum for a long time and it's only recently returning to a readable state, and even then every other thread is white noise garbage that should be gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm probably gonna get laughed at for agreeing to the basics of this post, but I do. GBS became the worst forum for a long time and it's only recently returning to a readable state, and even then every other thread is white noise garbage that should be gassed.
qft

Edit: goddammit I agree with screaming idiot. Oh well, broken clocks and all that