Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

JazzmasterCurious posted:

A ripoff, yes, kind of, but a ripoff that does the job better. Chalkboard actually has proper kerning and all the pro typeface things that Comic Sans lacks (since CS was never meant to be a proper typeface, just a throwaway crap handwriting thing for Comic Chat?)

I think CS was developed for Comic Chat

I was working there when it was created and I used Comic Sans for the "writing" on the Notes icon in Outlook 97. Shrunk down to 32x32 pixels and 16 colors it was just a blur but in the original Studio 32 file it said:

Call *my girlfriend's name*
her phone number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

It wouldn't be the first time, for example Nintendo's stock going up after Pokemon Go was released.
Doesn't Nintendo own the Pokemon IP though, so presumably they're getting some royalties for Pokemon Go?

fake edit: Looked it up and I guess I had the same misconception as all the investors. The IP is owned by The Pokemon Company, which Nintendo owns about 32% of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go#Nintendo

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Keith Atherton posted:

I think CS was developed for Comic Chat

I was working there when it was created and I used Comic Sans for the "writing" on the Notes icon in Outlook 97. Shrunk down to 32x32 pixels and 16 colors it was just a blur but in the original Studio 32 file it said:

Call *my girlfriend's name*
her phone number

It was originally designed for Bob, but wasn't done in time to be used.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Ted Nelson’s Junk Mail is the gift that keeps on giving:

This is exactly what it looks like: an enormous one-million-character* spinning-disc storage cartridge**. The brochure touts how you can easily swap them in and out and write the contents right on the spine, just like an LP, and dutifully shows a half-dozen of them in a rack that would look just as appropriate if it were full of records. My favorite part is how it’s kept in alignment with the read/write heads by pin-registering the cart on either corner.

* Not sure what constituted a “character” on Univac so I won’t say “megabyte”.
** Not technically a “floppy”, since the magnetic medium is almost certainly coated on a glass substrate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lazlo Nibble posted:

** Not technically a “floppy”, since the magnetic medium is almost certainly coated on a glass substrate.

:lol: at having a babby language that doesn't differentiate between floppy diskettes and non-floppy diskettes based on the floppiness of the entire unit. The English language: the most failed of technologies.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: at having a babby language that doesn't differentiate between floppy diskettes and non-floppy diskettes based on the floppiness of the entire unit. The English language: the most failed of technologies.

If there only was a word for something not soft. I wouldn't call this a diskette, either.

How about Hard Disk?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

If there only was a word for something not soft. I wouldn't call this a diskette, either.

How about Hard Disk?

That would work. They didn't end up calling non-floppy diskettes hard disks however, so it's rather moot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

How about Hard Disk?

Portable Platter?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

That would work. They didn't end up calling non-floppy diskettes hard disks however, so it's rather moot.

3.5" diskettes were still floppy inside.
Diskettes were also named after cassettes. Those giant things don't evoke that image compared to a 8" floppy that introduced the name

5 1/4" floppies were called mini diskettes/floppies.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lurking Haro posted:

3.5" diskettes were still floppy inside.
Diskettes were also named after cassettes. Those giant things don't evoke that image compared to a 8" floppy that introduced the name

5 1/4" floppies were called mini diskettes/floppies.

There was a small push to call 3.5 disks 'stiffies' - but it never seemed to catch on.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The average is 5 1/4? I thought it was 3.5. This is very unsettling.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Floppy or hard?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Floppy or hard?

First one, then the other.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Lurking Haro posted:

I wouldn't call this a diskette, either.

This is one of those times where I'm reminded that English could really use an augmentative suffix to go with the buttload of diminutive suffixes that it has. Well, besides -zilla, that is. Then again, "diskzilla" would be a pretty :krad: name.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

This is one of those times where I'm reminded that English could really use an augmentative suffix to go with the buttload of diminutive suffixes that it has. Well, besides -zilla, that is. Then again, "diskzilla" would be a pretty :krad: name.

Megadisc? Maxidisk?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Doctor Bishop posted:

-a-poppin'
-a-million
-ahoy
-daddy
-orama
-ola
"on crack"
"on steroids"

Wow, you're right. I had never considered that there weren't really (m)any of these, and the ones we have suck. -zilla seems like best. Also it seems like they're all from advertising.

Edit: Call it diskdaddy tho.

moller has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Jan 14, 2018

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Jerry Cotton posted:

So how does it work in your language?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It's Jerry Cotton. Are you expecting a sensible answer?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier or if someone else brought it up:

Socket 754 or Socket 939? Why not both?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/ULi/K8%20Combo-Z/
http://www.asrock.com/mb/SIS/K8Upgrade-760GX/

One motherboard features both an 754 and 939 sockets, while the other features an upgrade path to a 939 CPU with an additional connector board. It doesn't seem like you can use both CPUs at the same time, though. This seems like such a strange design that I don't know if it's just a consequence of the PC industry about 10-12 years ago that people who bought cheaper 754 CPUs could upgrade to a 939 in a few years without having to do a complete mobo replacement or what.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lerppu means floppy and when they introduced non-floppy diskettes people started calling them korppu which means rusk, hardtack, or dry biscuit. Extremely useful in the period when both were in use.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What about floopies or flippies?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Vic posted:

What about floopies or flippies?

A 'Flippy' was a 5.25 floppy with the capability to be read on both side, with a single-sided drive by taking them out and flipping them over.
You could punch additional holes into a single-sided disk to give this ability.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

A 'Flippy' was a 5.25 floppy with the capability to be read on both side, with a single-sided drive by taking them out and flipping them over.
You could punch additional holes into a single-sided disk to give this ability.

If you punch four holes in it you can LOAD"TIMECUBE",8,1

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Amstrad did a proprietary 3 inch disc system and the discs came with cd style plastic cases which cracked really easy. They were rectangular and pretty hard to destroy, but I think they cost many times more than the standard 3 1/2" discs and quickly died out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
In my American public middle school early 90s computers class we were very clearly told by the teacher that 3.5 floppies were called "hard disks", because they have this hard plastic shell, you see.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

In my American public middle school early 90s computers class we were very clearly told by the teacher that 3.5 floppies were called "hard disks", because they have this hard plastic shell, you see.

Ridiculous.

The hard disk is the big beige box with whirring noises, blinking lights and cables going in and out of it.

When the top of the screen gets hot, it means you have computed too hard, and have to turn off the computer to let it cool down.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

Ridiculous.

The hard disk is the big beige box with whirring noises, blinking lights and cables going in and out of it.

When the top of the screen gets hot, it means you have computed too hard, and have to turn off the computer to let it cool down.

Hey man I know a CPU when I see one, you ain't fooling me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My downstairs neighbours' boy called the big grey box under the VDU of our IBM PC XT Model 286 the Nintendo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did he try to plug his Atari tapes into it?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My aunt called gaming consoles videogames. When her kids got a sega genesis she was confused about why they want another one the next year. My cousin was like really good at Sonic 2 and Altered Beast because those were the only videogames he owned for the videogame.

EDIT: My dad called CDs "records" and my other aunt calls a computer The Skype

Vic has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Jan 14, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jerry Cotton posted:

My downstairs neighbours' boy called the big grey box under the VDU of our IBM PC XT Model 286 the Nintendo.

I read this coming from the mouth of your avatar

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a bit in Neal Stephenson's Zodiac where the protagonist gets his computer smashed up and explains at length how that's a clue that who did it knew something about computers, because any common thug would have busted the screen and called it a day. The actual line is "the expensive part is the box underneath, whoever had broken in knew that much."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Did he try to plug his Atari tapes into it?

No-one had an Atari. COMPUTER OF THE REPUBLIC, BITCHES!

(Also no way we'd have let idiot boy touch the PC.)

Goober Peas posted:

I read this coming from the mouth of your avatar

I'm literally me.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

DesperateDan posted:

Amstrad did a proprietary 3 inch disc system and the discs came with cd style plastic cases which cracked really easy. They were rectangular and pretty hard to destroy, but I think they cost many times more than the standard 3 1/2" discs and quickly died out.

That was a Japanese format (by Hitachi IIRC) that didn't last too long. The story I heard is that after the Japanese market had settled on the 3.5" format Amstrad was able to buy the remaining stock of 3" drives cheap and then used them in their own machines.

There was a bit of a format war in the early-mid 80s for sub-5.25" disks. 3.5" won in the end, but there were various 2", 2.5", 3", and 3.25" disks as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a bit in Neal Stephenson's Zodiac where the protagonist gets his computer smashed up and explains at length how that's a clue that who did it knew something about computers, because any common thug would have busted the screen and called it a day. The actual line is "the expensive part is the box underneath, whoever had broken in knew that much."

Neal Stephenson's books are the obsolete and failed technology.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

GotLag posted:

Neal Stephenson's books are the obsolete and failed technology.

I wanted to move to Fiji (?) so bad when I was 16 and reading Cryptonomicon. That and Soul of a New Machine got me into IT as a career.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Philippines. and I wanted to mathematically describe the function of a bicycle while my gay mathematician friends had sex in a tent.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lerppu means floppy and when they introduced non-floppy diskettes people started calling them korppu which means rusk, hardtack, or dry biscuit. Extremely useful in the period when both were in use.

So EFFICIENT! Really. So, I come over for some melba toast and you hand me a 3.5" disk.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

evobatman posted:

Ridiculous.

Nooooo, that's the CPU silly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Samizdata posted:

So EFFICIENT! Really. So, I come over for some melba toast and you hand me a 3.5" disk.

Better than English:

Come over to my place to borrow a storage medium and you'll get a disappointing sexual experience.