Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Durance is literally just any loving common-rear end dude who got jilted by a lady and never got over it. Oh wait, he also has magic powers, and racism. Yeah I'm starting to see why he's so popular.

Yes. That's literally why he's popular. He's a huge rear end in a top hat and everyone in the party barely tolerates and fucks with him. It's a good dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Also, the game never makes much of it, but the combination of his fanatical devotion to his goddess, combined with what a piece of poo poo he is, makes it delicious to imagine how undermined he must feel at the end when he finds out the gods are just things made by people

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Entropy238 posted:

They definitely did more with the writing in the White March and patch content. There’s a bit more emotional weight to what’s going on and it doesn’t take itself as seriously as the main game does.

Answering "[Lie] Yes." to "Are you real?" is possibly the best dialogue option in the game after "I KNEW IT!!!!" when finding out the Gods are super soul AIs as a Nihilist Philosopher.

Hot take: Maybe the writing in Pillars of Eternity... is good?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the general model is like Cardinal Mazarin, not Jim Jones

Durance does not have anywhere near the charisma required to be Jim Jones analogue. Though, I'd definitely play a game with where the representative priest was a psycho evil cult leader. Pillars is one of the few settings where you could do it, as a priests power is internal rather than directly tapped from a divine source.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 12, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love [Lie]Yes because it's literally true

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. That's why it's such a good joke.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

?????

1 in the Gilded Vale
4 in Defiance Bay
1 in tree city
1 in Stalwart

the gently caress am I missing

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Dyrford Village probably

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

goddammit

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

CottonWolf posted:

is possibly the best dialogue option in the game after "I KNEW IT!!!!" when finding out the Gods are super soul AIs as a Nihilist Philosopher.

Is this real?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Clever Spambot posted:

Is this real?

Yes

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Is this real?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I didn't even know there was a subset of philosophies you could choose for that profession, let alone special dialogues for them. Fascinating.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think that's based on the questions you want sore at the beginning of the game. There is definitely one that sounds nihilist ish

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like at the start with Calisca if you are a nihilist and she asks why you came to the Dyrford and you can say "why do anything?" she's like "oh no, I'm not being drawn into this." One of the other dialogue options for why you left is "not believing in anything turned out to be extremely boring."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait so what actual for real priests are Durance similar to?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Chairchucker posted:

The kind that carry a giant crucifix staff and scream at you when you're trying to get to class.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

lol but no really

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chairchucker posted:

Take your pick of martyred Saints.

Same level of conviction, different ideologies. If a character literally has magic powers from faith, that faith should probably inform most aspects of their character. Durance actually lives up to that standard.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 13, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mmm yes who can forget the last words of Saint Stephen, "Father, they are a pack of fiery whores."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and a horrible tempest, this shall be the portion of their cup." - Minister Thomas Vincent, after the Great Fire of London.

Also St. George straight up iced a dragon, that's pretty dope.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 13, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Durance more or less a Flannery O'Connor homage, a grotesque and hateful man whose insistent blasphemy and hatred of Magran belies a deep yearning for her favor and redemption. Haze Motes was also an itinerant street preacher who hated and insulted everyone, fwiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pMmth5tDw

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 13, 2018

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Making the big bad of the new Star Wars an emotionally stunted MRA, alt-right, school-shooting dweeb is extremely good actually.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Chairchucker posted:

Mmm yes who can forget the last words of Saint Stephen, "Father, they are a pack of fiery whores."

Different ideologies, same level of conviction. This point has already been addressed, but you knew that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chairchucker posted:

Saint Dunstan, so the story goes, once pulled the devil by the nose; with red-hot tongs, which made him roar, and could be heard ten miles or more.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pwnstar posted:

I like at the start with Calisca if you are a nihilist and she asks why you came to the Dyrford and you can say "why do anything?" she's like "oh no, I'm not being drawn into this." One of the other dialogue options for why you left is "not believing in anything turned out to be extremely boring."

The opening dialogue with Calisca hides some real gems. I think my favourite is the self-made orphan one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m not 100% sure it requires taking option 2. I think I took option 3.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I'm about to go out of town for 3 months and have no ability to play POE so why am I sitting here thinking about starting my second playthrough?

I liked my first run a lot, but I kinda brute forced the entire latter half of it rather than actually getting good at the game. I want to actually, uh, use magic this time I think

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Woo, beat the game in time for PoE2! :toot:

Wondering how PoE2 will gel with some of the endings I got though. Also you think pissing off Ondra by restoring Abydon was a good idea before spending the next game on a ship?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's probably not great. But assuming a) you're not going full build a throne from the skulls of the gods, and b) you didn't gently caress over the Galawain, Magran, Abydon trio at the end of Pillars, you've probably got Abydon on your side to give you some sort of cover.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

the self-made orphan one.

Wait, what?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is Pallegina a Kind Wayfarer in PoE2 if you screw up the exclusive trade deal but don't strengthen Dyrewood?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

has ropekid ever explained why he prefers his current system of dialogue checks?

ie telling the player 'this is a strength check, and you do/don't meet it' rather than obfuscating it and not letting the player know its a check, or not telling the player the check threshold

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

has ropekid ever explained why he prefers his current system of dialogue checks?

ie telling the player 'this is a strength check, and you do/don't meet it' rather than obfuscating it and not letting the player know its a check, or not telling the player the check threshold

That's a option, you can have silent checks if you want.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

It's one of the options from the drifter background. Calisca is pretty nonplussed about your parent-murdering past.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Iirc he said one time that when they obfuscated it it wasn't as clear to players that their stat choices were affecting their options, so they felt less feedback on those choices

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Reason #352 Why New Vegas Owns is the dialogue choices you get if you can't make once of those checks. So I like being able to see them. As well as knowing I can reload and quickly buff a stat to pass a certain check.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Reason #352 Why New Vegas Owns is the dialogue choices you get if you can't make once of those checks. So I like being able to see them. As well as knowing I can reload and quickly buff a stat to pass a certain check.

you like them because there aren't any consequences for building your character a certain way because you can guarantee you pass every check

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

you like them because there aren't any consequences for building your character a certain way because you can guarantee you pass every check

Or if you wanna see what the different responses do, but not do an entire other play-through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

I like them because I would build my character / change equipment / eat food to pass the checks anyway but this way I don't have to play with a guide to figure out what the break points are for the cool fun things.

• Locked thread