Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MH Knights posted:

I liked the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

It's legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It leans a little heavily on the 'kill someone every 4 minutes' trope to keep things moving, but it's a good movie.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

That reminds me: there's that Tomb Raider movie coming out this year and as I recall there was talk a couple of years ago that it could be the launchpad for (you guessed it!) a shared cinematic universe involving Just Cause, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief. Granted, that was in 2015 when everyone was chasing the shared universe dragon, but I bet they'll give it a go if Tomb Raider does well.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure about Tomb Raider's prospects. It just looks like one of those ones you get that ends up being a hit, but maybe not the hit it needed to be (see also: Amazing Spider-Man 2). Granted, I don't really play video games, so I don't know what the Tomb Raider franchise's stock is at the moment.

Cacator posted:

Both Hitman movies have been flops and total garbage at that, is there really appetite for more?

And I don't think they can do that idea anymore anyway since Square doesn't even own Hitman anymore, as IO took the rights with them when they left Square. Think IO is instead trying to do a tv show with the John Wick producers handling it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the last Deus Ex game was a huge flop so they definitely aren't interested in doing that as a movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this! posted:

Also the last Deus Ex game was a huge flop so they definitely aren't interested in doing that as a movie.

It's free right now if you have PS+ :laffo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Amusingly a Deus Ex movie was also announced not long after Deus Ex: Invisible War came out. Like Mankind Divided it's a pretty good game but it did really bad (also fans despised it because it was streamlined in some questionable ways).

SquareEnix is so stupid. They bought Eidos and so far with Eidos' properties they managed to kill off......

Deus Ex
The new one, Mankind Divided, oh boy. So Human Revolution was a really cool game, had a striking visual style (I know some hated it) and some flaws like crappy boss fights and a slightly disjointed story because some areas were cut, but it's real good stuff overall. Mankind Divided was meant to have much more going on in it, and also serve as a bridge between Human Revolution and the story in the original Deus Ex. Buuuut..... SquareEnix decided to milk it and instead of one game, as it was being made they decided to make it the first in a brand new trilogy oh boy!!! so instead of a globetrotting espionage and conspiracy story, the very first act of Mankind Divided is really strong. Then you spend the entire rest of the game in one city spinning your wheels, like the entire game is just world building stuff...and then it ends, and it was released with zero marketing or any kind also, so it of course totally flopped. The series is DEAD dead, they killed development of any Deus Ex related stuff. This is the most frustrating one because what game is there is great.

Hitman
Gave us Absolution, which isn't a horrible game, but it's more of a Metal Gear-like creep from point A to point B kind of game instead of a disguise yourself and socialize effectively and figure out the inner workings of each area kind of game. Then in 2016 IOI made a new Hitman game that is straight up one of the best games of 2016, but it was released digitally only in episodes and SquareEnix didn't actually tell anyone whenever they came out. They screwed up so bad they got rid of IOI and IOI took Hitman with them. Fortunately IOI has now at least released it as a single awesome game. So for now it's on hiatus while IOI figures out what they're going to do next.

Legacy of Kain
Crystal Dynamic's project before that awesome Tomb Raider game was supervising Climax in making a new single player Legacy of Kain game. If you know the series you know that despite all obstacles, all of those games are badass and really good, renowned for sweeping storylines and nuanced but still brutal characters that don't take any poo poo.

So of course SquareEnix cancelled it, and then had Psyonix hastily throw together a MOBA with it called Nosgoth. Nosgoth is the realm the Legacy of Kain games takes place in, and it says a lot that the resulting product was so distant it didn't have get to have Legacy of Kain in the title. The game's open beta was released, and then less than a full year later the game was cancelled completely because it was poo poo.

Just Cause 3
All I have to say is, like Deus Ex: Mankind Dividied, a lot of people got this one via PlayStation Plus.

Thief
Oh my Lord. Look I'll keep it as short as I can and say this game is just plain incompetent. The writing is embarrassing, before the game came out the main character designer gave Garett sexy hip sway animations and black fingernails because he legitimately thought "gothic" and "gracefully sneaking" meant "goth" and "effeminate." The originals have some industrial type tracks (and a few "extreme 90s" type music) that all work with the game's atmosphere, but this one's soundtrack is like a bunch of b-side combat tracks from Deus Ex. Also they hosed up how sound carries, in a game where sound carrying is a linchpin for how the game works. Like someone is on the second floor of a sealed building but you can be standing a block away and hearing what they're saying. Every mission in the game sucks EXCEPT for the DLC mission, and the only reason that one is good is because it's a remake of a level from Thief II.

Tomb Raider
Released an outstanding reboot in 2013 to massive sales and massive critical+popular acclaim. To save face for Final Fantasy XIV being a broken unfinished piece of poo poo that almost singlehandedly killed the company Square's CEO of the time blamed their dire situation it on Tomb Raider flopping (this is a game that sold almost 4 million copies in like one months). I like this game more than any Uncharted. So for the sequel they have a stupid story, stupid writing, and they made it exclusive to the XBox One for a year, then it came out on other platforms with zero marketing. Tomb Raider as a franchise is big enough that it's never going away forever but this particular Tomb Raider series is now dead for good because how badly that game, Rise of the Tomb Raider was handled on every level.

Basically SquareEnix is extremely stupid and killed every good thing buying Enix brought to the table except for the Tomb Raider name.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 15, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's free right now if you have PS+ :laffo:
Also it loving rules. I bought it on PC for full price when it first came out and it was great. I'm glad to have another copy on PS4 now so I can play through it again when I have some time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The last Hitman movie was alright in terms of what you can expect from a video game movie. It's a pretty low bar, but oh well. It was hardly a great movie, but I'd say it was quite a bit better than say, Justice League. There have been much dumber movies comic book movies that got better critical ratings.

Eventually I think there will be a fluke and we'll see a video game movie that somehow manages to be great. But I have no idea when that will be. I really like the new Tomb Raider series and I hope this movie is at leadt decent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The last Hitman movie suffered from bad marketing in the T2 vein because the beginning of the movie kind of sets it up with 47 being of the bad guy. But seeing as how every trailer/commercial/poster focused on him he clearly isn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The last Hitman movie suffered from bad marketing in the T2 vein because the beginning of the movie kind of sets it up with 47 being of the bad guy. But seeing as how every trailer/commercial/poster focused on him he clearly isn't.

Hitman: Blood Money had similar trailers treating 47 like he was The Terminator and told via other characters talking about him but it sold great and everyone loves it and it was objectively the best Hitman game until the 2016 one came out. On top of that no one on earth thought Arnold was the bad guy in T2 because it was widely known that he was the good guy and had to stop "the evil T-1000" long before trailers were even out and him being the good guy was the only reason he chose to do the movie. That said regarding both Hitman flicks...

CelticPredator posted:

I hate that movie.

:same:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 15, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have to say, of all the video game movies that did not come to pass (there were dozens announced in the very early 00s, even stuff like Crazy Taxi), the one that perplexes me the most is Bioshock. It got far enough into production that they were building sets and stuff for it, but it was canned because they decided it would be too expensive. But even on the most basic level, like, unique setting, brutal and violent action with cool abilities against psycho folks and mutated freaks, an iconic design and recurring enemy in the Big Daddy, a simple mystery with a cool twist or two at the end, being directed by the guy who did the best Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Like out of many of those movies you'd think it would be the easiest to get right and appeal to folks who never even heard of the game.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Briefly going in the other direction, there was a period around 2005 or 6 when a whole bunch of video game adaptations of classic movies were proposed. We could have had Dirty Harry, Heat and (most mystifyingly) Taxi Driver games. That last one actually got a decent way into development, to the point of having a playable demo. We actually did get an awful Reservoir Dogs game (with none of the original actors voices or likenesses)

It was sort of amazing that everyone had the same terrible idea at once.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the Statham Mechanic movies are more Hitman than the hitman movies

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neo Rasa posted:

I have to say, of all the video game movies that did not come to pass (there were dozens announced in the very early 00s, even stuff like Crazy Taxi), the one that perplexes me the most is Bioshock. It got far enough into production that they were building sets and stuff for it, but it was canned because they decided it would be too expensive. But even on the most basic level, like, unique setting, brutal and violent action with cool abilities against psycho folks and mutated freaks, an iconic design and recurring enemy in the Big Daddy, a simple mystery with a cool twist or two at the end, being directed by the guy who did the best Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Like out of many of those movies you'd think it would be the easiest to get right and appeal to folks who never even heard of the game.

once again, my kingdom for a Del Toro/Michael Shannon Bioshock movie.

Or alternately, a way-too-expensive limited series about the rise and fall of Rapture. Still starring Michael Shannon though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
***ATTENTION WHEAT LOAF THE LAST JEDI IS NOW THE #1 MOVIE WORLDWIDE OF 2017***

http://deadline.com/2018/01/jumanji...ice-1202242887/

...that's $1,265,000,000 worldwide if you are counting (lots more than $900)

carry on everyone

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Best Star Wars movie gets the most money of the year. Makes sense.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Best Star Wars movie gets the most money of the year. Makes sense.

Pretty much. People's wallets don't lie

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regarding Western chat:

I really like the True Grit remake from...what, almost a decade ago now? It didn't seem like it was that popular though, at least around here. I don't know too many other people who've seen it. :sigh:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dexie posted:

Regarding Western chat:

I really like the True Grit remake from...what, almost a decade ago now? It didn't seem like it was that popular though, at least around here. I don't know too many other people who've seen it. :sigh:

It's really good, but I mostly remember how strangely chubby Matt Damon looked and how drawn out the ending felt. It's a real good movie, though, and the young lead was amazing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It's really good, but I mostly remember how strangely chubby Matt Damon looked and how drawn out the ending felt. It's a real good movie, though, and the young lead was amazing.
She starred in Edge of 17 last year which was great.

Edit: Make that 2016. loving Trump Time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Snowman_McK posted:

Briefly going in the other direction, there was a period around 2005 or 6 when a whole bunch of video game adaptations of classic movies were proposed. We could have had Dirty Harry, Heat and (most mystifyingly) Taxi Driver games. That last one actually got a decent way into development, to the point of having a playable demo. We actually did get an awful Reservoir Dogs game (with none of the original actors voices or likenesses)

The Godfather games were surprisingly decent, I actually recall really liking the sequel on PS3.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Video game adaptations are no longer compulsory like they once were. It feels like they kind of died out around 2009. I remember seeing a commercial for one of Avatar, and thinking it looked like the most phoned in poo poo in the world, despite being attached to the biggest movie in the world that year. Since then they seem pretty rare.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Tomb Raider

I really liked Rise, but I'm willing to admit I might be biased due to it drawing heavily on Byzantium.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dexie posted:

Regarding Western chat:

True Grit's great. Jeff Bridges gives a really fun performance in it, and the actress who plays the girl is really good in the role. I love the look on her face when blows away the dude who killed her dad at the end. Just pure glee.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tomb Raider meets Soul Reaver would be hilarious. Raziel and Lara Croft solving box puzzles together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

IIRC I think this was because Warner Bros. and MGM both licensed out "their old movies" to Eidos and IIRC Activision originally instead of specific film properties. Dirty Harry was the most talked about in the immediate wake of that, then everyone got the same idea so we got Scarface, the Godfather games, and all those other attempts. Godfather II and Scarface were pretty good honestly.

That was sort of the last big wave of contemporary movie/TV tie-in games too. The PS2/early 360 era gave us stuff based on The Da Vinci Code, Batman Begins, and even based on TV shows like 24 and The Shield and every kids movie ever too. IIRC we see a lot less of that now because it's way more profitable to just make even more merchandise and at most a cheap mobile game. Obviously the huge stuff like Star Wars will always get video games but back then you could buy an Eragon game for the 360 and stuff.

The weirdest was Mad Max though, which went through a ton of stops and starts and re-starts from scratch as it was meant to tie into the movie that eventually became Fury Road. It's not that bad a game either, but has a few stupid decisions that keep it from being great as it sticks a bit too close the generic "this is an open world game" template. Oh well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tomb Raider meets Soul Reaver would be hilarious. Raziel and Lara Croft solving box puzzles together.

This would actually own and they could use the same model they used for the Soul Reaver games!!!! Raziel can't be in sunlight, swim, and a bunch of other "Tomb Raider" kind of things but has a bunch of crazy abilities of his own like passing through things as a spirit. You could totally make a Soul Reaver template game built around switching between them instead of switching between the corporeal and spirit world. :laffo: And just do the usual Legacy of Kain thing and record a ton of voice over of them dissing each on their road to becoming ultimate frenemies.

Story? Who gives a poo poo, Lara raids a tomb but oh poo poo it's Raziel's and he wakes up, time to team up and stop some boss that's like an amalgamation of Kain and that skeleton queen you see for two seconds at the end of Tomb Raider 2013. The Legacy of Kain games have time travel as a huge plot elements already so they can even go back and forth between their respective settings.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC I think this was because Warner Bros. and MGM both licensed out "their old movies" to Eidos and IIRC Activision originally instead of specific film properties. Dirty Harry was the most talked about in the immediate wake of that, then everyone got the same idea so we got Scarface, the Godfather games, and all those other attempts. Godfather II and Scarface were pretty good honestly.

That was sort of the last big wave of contemporary movie/TV tie-in games too. The PS2/early 360 era gave us stuff based on The Da Vinci Code, Batman Begins, and even based on TV shows like 24 and The Shield and every kids movie ever too. IIRC we see a lot less of that now because it's way more profitable to just make even more merchandise and at most a cheap mobile game. Obviously the huge stuff like Star Wars will always get video games but back then you could buy an Eragon game for the 360 and stuff.

The weirdest was Mad Max though, which went through a ton of stops and starts and re-starts from scratch as it was meant to tie into the movie that eventually became Fury Road. It's not that bad a game either, but has a few stupid decisions that keep it from being great as it sticks a bit too close the generic "this is an open world game" template. Oh well.
Star Wars hasn't had a AAA singleplayer game in 8 years, and it's even further back if you want a good one. For Indiana Jones you have to go back to 2003. Lucasarts was sitting on gold and completely hosed it all up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Star Wars hasn't had a AAA singleplayer game in 8 years, and it's even further back if you want a good one. For Indiana Jones you have to go back to 2003. Lucasarts was sitting on gold and completely hosed it all up.

Video games based on movies and TV shows have only very rarely been AAA games at all if you're talking about their budget or the amount of manpower and care put into them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Video games based on movies and TV shows have only very rarely been AAA games at all if you're talking about their budget or the amount of manpower and care put into them.
If you're talking about what goes into a AAA title now, then yes. But Star Wars and Indiana Jones games of yesteryear were hardly budget titles. They used to be on the leading edge, but then got cheap after deciding that people would buy them no matter how little effort was put into them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This would actually own and they could use the same model they used for the Soul Reaver games!!!! Raziel can't be in sunlight, swim, and a bunch of other "Tomb Raider" kind of things but has a bunch of crazy abilities of his own like passing through things as a spirit. You could totally make a Soul Reaver template game built around switching between them instead of switching between the corporeal and spirit world. :laffo: And just do the usual Legacy of Kain thing and record a ton of voice over of them dissing each on their road to becoming ultimate frenemies.

Story? Who gives a poo poo, Lara raids a tomb but oh poo poo it's Raziel's and he wakes up, time to team up and stop some boss that's like an amalgamation of Kain and that skeleton queen you see for two seconds at the end of Tomb Raider 2013. The Legacy of Kain games have time travel as a huge plot elements already so they can even go back and forth between their respective settings.

This sort of happened with Lara Croft and Guardian of Light. The game can be played alone or co-op with a friend. In co-op, player 2 controls an ancient warrior who teams up with Lara to stop the bad guy. There's a DLC you can buy for the game where you can play as Raziel and Kain instead, complete with a new story and voiced lines. Your idea is definitely better, though.

The game also had a free DLC where you play as Kane and Lynch. It was pretty funny: Lara and the warrior defeated the bad guy and locked him in his magic prison, then moments after they left the temple Kan & Lynch arrived and accidentally released him again. Also remember there was a Kane & Lynch movie planned where Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx plays the main characters?

Rough Lobster posted:

True Grit's great. Jeff Bridges gives a really fun performance in it, and the actress who plays the girl is really good in the role. I love the look on her face when blows away the dude who killed her dad at the end. Just pure glee.

The girl is Hailee Steinfeld, who was in Edge of Seventeen and also this upcoming movie this year:

Lately she's been more known for her music, though, especially after her song about jerking off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpFmHSgC4Q

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Video game adaptations are no longer compulsory like they once were. It feels like they kind of died out around 2009. I remember seeing a commercial for one of Avatar, and thinking it looked like the most phoned in poo poo in the world, despite being attached to the biggest movie in the world that year. Since then they seem pretty rare.

Video game budgets are as expensive as movies now. The low effort video game adaptation of yesterday is now the microtransaction laden F2P game of today. Probably much more profitable too. Every once in a while you do get a Mad Max, but I heard that was actually in development long before they even started production on Fury Road.

I made a video game movie thread over a year ago. Put a lot of effort into the OP. It died without a single post. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Here's an excerpt of something I wrote about Mad Max games regarding the recent one:

Neo Rasa posted:

In 2008, It was announced that the director of God of War II, Cory Barlog, would be working on a new Mad Max game at Avalanche Studios (Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops). This new game was to be released in time with the upcoming Mad Max: Fury Road film. However, due to the film's numerous delays and long shooting schedule, the game remained under the radar for several years. More information and actual footage did not surface until E3 2013, where a trailer was publicly released and some members of the press were able to view a brief game demonstration. Interestingly, like with the NES game there has been some confusion regarding who has worked on this particular game. While it was widely known that Cory Barlog began working on a Mad Max: Fury Road game in 2008, he actually left Avalanche Studios in 2012.

In a 2013 interview with Avalanche CEO Christofer Sundberg, however, Polygon co-founder Christ Plante was told that Barlog had not been working on Mad Max: Fury Road at all, and that Sundberg was unaware of what was being worked on by him at that time. BUT THEN, shortly after the interview ran Plante was contacted by Avalanche's head of communications, who informed him that Sundberg's statement was "inaccurate." The truth was that "I can confirm that Cory did work on Mad Max while at Avalanche Studios, but I can't elaborate further... That's also what Christofer meant to say during the interview."

As Sundberg specifies that work on this current Mad Max game had been going on for about eighteen months, but also that they'd been working on "Mad Max" for "a couple of years," it can be safely assumed that as the film got delayed, whatever iteration Barlog was working on was scrapped for this new one. The currently in development Mad Max game is stylistically similar to the film, though unlike the initially announced 2008 game, Avalanche has been clear that it is not a direct tie in to the film's continuity, though we see some similar characters make an appearance in footage of both. Most notable among these is the game's main antagonist, Scabrous Scrotus, an original character who fans initially mistook for film villain Immortan Joe in earlier promotional footage. While series mastermind George Miller has worked with Avalanche on developing the game's story, according to a Game Informer piece regarding the game's setting it's actually not designed to fit strictly into the events of the film. Much like the film series itself, Mad Max will use many similar elements from the newest movie, but the story and characters will be going in a different direction. Either way, this 2015 Mad Max seems like it will finally deliver brutal vehicular action and intense combat that hopefully surpasses the failings of the NES game and Outlander.

Shortly after this was published more Mad Max comics were announced, where the main baddie (Scabrous) was said to be another son of Immortan Joe and it would turn out that the game is a prequel to Fury Road set a bit from Gastown in whatever feifdom Scabrous rules for his dad. So I do think the game was pretty unfocused even while it was in production since the interviews come off more like they're just not sure rather than that they're being secretive.

But drat even that NES Mad Max game, I don't go into too much detail but it's actually a re-skin of an unrelated Commodore 64 game from a little earlier.

Casimir Radon posted:

If you're talking about what goes into a AAA title now, then yes. But Star Wars and Indiana Jones games of yesteryear were hardly budget titles. They used to be on the leading edge, but then got cheap after deciding that people would buy them no matter how little effort was put into them.

I know this is going to sound like I'm moving the goal posts but I was talking about games that tie into a specific movie intended to come out around the time of the movie's release rather than ones made years after the fact like X-Wing or Fate of Atlantis. With Star Wars games as an example Return of the Jedi comes to mind as one of the most infamous piece of poo poo arcade games of all time. Think more of what was really the norm like Darkman, Total Recall, the home console Terminator games, Mad Max, all of the Last Crusade games, these were all rushed mega-crap and that was the standard. I was just saying that that period of time early in the 360's life was sort of the end of when an uninspired trash game like that would be the norm for a movie. And even in recent times with huge budgets, you'll still get cases where a publisher will take a game and then just slap a move license on it. An infamous example is Sea Dogs 2 becoming Pirates of the Caribbean, or Shadow of Mordor and its nemesis system beginning life as a Dark Knight video game that got canned once Warner Bros. made WBIE a thing. There are plenty of good games based on movies going back to the early 80s but these are absolutely the exception rather than the rule.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 15, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Basically SquareEnix is extremely stupid and killed every good thing buying Enix brought to the table except for the Tomb Raider name.

Most of this is either completely untrue or at least skewed heavily to paint Square-Enix as the bad guys ever since they became the hot new big studio for gamers to hate after Ubisoft and Activision lightened up on the annual sequels. Also all of those franchises were pretty much dead at the time of the Eidos buyout (it's been almost as long between the release of Human Revolution and now as there was between Invisible War and Human Revolution) and they more or less single-handedly made them popular and relevant again by spending a bunch of time and money on getting good developers and letting them do their own thing with them.

Mankind Divided also got a lot of undeserved flak because it came out right when regressive weirdos attacking the games industry was at its peak so a game about apartheid was a ripe target.

The great thing is that this basically what every fanboy said should happen with a Hitman movie and then when they actually did it nobody bothered seeing it.

Casimir Radon posted:

Big-budget movie tie-ins have been dead for almost two console generations now because it's much easier and more profitable to just put out a reskinned cell phone app and make a bunch of money off of skinner box microtransactions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Video game budgets are as expensive as movies now. The low effort video game adaptation of yesterday is now the microtransaction laden F2P game of today. Probably much more profitable too. Every once in a while you do get a Mad Max, but I heard that was actually in development long before they even started production on Fury Road.

I made a video game movie thread over a year ago. Put a lot of effort into the OP. It died without a single post. :(

A reminder that King, the company that made Candy Crush, was bought by Activision for more than what Disney paid to buy Lucasfilm.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah, the Mad Max game starting out starving you of ammo and having you worry about fuel before just sticking heaps of bases everywhere and letting you upgrade your arsenal was jarring. It could have been a road based 'metro' game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Warriors was sure a good game based on a movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hell yes The Warriors is outstanding.

Guy Mann posted:

Most of this is either completely untrue or at least skewed heavily to paint Square-Enix as the bad guys ever since they became the hot new big studio for gamers to hate after Ubisoft and Activision lightened up on the annual sequels.

You're implying that I'm hating on SquareEnix because it's trendy or something but I've always disliked them and how they ended up handling Eidos' stuff. And I've always thought Activision was poo poo. Tony Hawk was a bright spot and Call of Duty 1 was a bright spot. I've never been a huge SquareEnix fan either.

SquareEnix set insane standards for these games vs. the support (and in some cases the pay) their devs were given and the states they released the games in. And looking at the sequence of events of each game's production and the amount of publisher level major changes made to these games as they were being made - like, it has multiplayer....actually no now it doesn't.....actually yeah make multiplayer for it post launch, completely insane pre-order offers, or wasting time making devs break stuff off into DLC or episodes or adding crafting systems that were clearly last second, let's not actually even call any of the iconic voice actors about reprising their roles - I have to mostly blame the publisher.

Also you're saying my post is "either completely untrue or at least skewed heavily to paint Square-Enix as the bad guys" but I have to disagree since everything in my post is both true and not skewed:

Deus Ex
http://www.shacknews.com/article/80309/eidos-montreal-founder-leaves-blames-square-enix-for-lack-of
https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/3/12368210/deus-ex-mankind-divided-augs-lives-matter-controversy
http://twinfinite.net/2015/09/deus-ex-mankind-divideds-pre-order-has-players-choose-between-39-different-combinations/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/08/25/deus-ex-mankind-divideds-ending-is-disappointing-in-a-different-way/#52a54bbf67c8
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/square-enix-almost-ruined-deus-ex-mankind-divided-report-1453938

Hitman
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hitmans-new-release-date-is-march-11-heres-what-wi/1100-6430988/
https://www.polygon.com/2016/1/14/10770628/hitman-dlc-fully-episodic
https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/11/square-enix-drops-hitman-developer-io-interactive/
https://kotaku.com/io-interactive-now-independent-and-retains-hitman-franc-1796162347

Legacy of Kain
https://gamingbolt.com/nosgoth-officially-announced-new-trailer-and-details-revealed/comment-page-1
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-27-the-legacy-of-kain-game-square-enix-cancelled-after-three-years-of-work
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-08-legacy-of-kain-spin-off-nosgoth-cancelled

Just Cause 3
https://kotaku.com/square-enix-announces-just-cause-3-1657377684
https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/23/just-cause-3-wont-launch-with-multiplayer-but-square-enix-says/
And then it...just sort of faded away for being crap because it was made by 75 people in Avalanche's NYC office while everyone else was finishing Mad Max, sold poorly, and was made a free PS+ game about a year and a half later.

Thief
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-14-thief-4-hero-garrett-less-gothic-more-mainstream
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/13/meet-the-new-garrett-from-thief.aspx
https://gamerant.com/thief-4-voice-actor-petition/
The music
http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16150-new-thief-4-patch-audio-problems-fixed/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239160/discussions/0/558749824687651790/

Tomb Raider
https://www.vg247.com/2013/04/09/square-enix-blames-huge-slump-in-us-sales-for-western-title-failures/
https://www.psu.com/news/tomb-raider-sleeping-dogs-fail-to-reach-sales-targets/ (I mean literally Yoichi Wada lost his job this same week as the person who stepped into the CEO position immediately heaped praise on the critical and commercial success of HR and TR saving the company)
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/microsoft-square-enix-defend-lowly-sales-rise-tomb-raider/

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've always heard that the Hitman movies make the same mistake that the bad Hitman games do, thinking the character is the interesting part rather than his work.

Also regressive weirdos? Last I heard pretty much all the controversy over Mankind Divided was from the 'progressive' camp attacking it for the writer daring to use the word 'apartheid' in describing the ideas of the game. Seems like a Fury Road thing where people make a big deal about dudebro gamergaters who turn out to be literally half a dozen or so people on some no-name blog.