Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Arzachel posted:

Pressure in this game is way more similar to BB than GG so the closest you'll probably get is dropping a lockdown assist on their wakeup.

I'm very unfamiliar with BB. Anything like Skullgirls? I had quick look back at that over the holiday and remembered how fun Valentine/Parsoul pressure was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Natural 20 posted:

I'm very unfamiliar with BB. Anything like Skullgirls? I had quick look back at that over the holiday and remembered how fun Valentine/Parsoul pressure was.

While DBFZ is a 3v3 fighters like Skullgirls, it isn't really like Skullgirls. Similar to how Skullgirls isn't really like Marvel despite both being 3v3 games. DBFZ is really its own thing.

The closest thing to Valentine is that every character has "Dragon Rush", which is a move where they quickly fly across screen (though not as fast as Valentine, and the move automatically homes to your opponent). Beerus has orbs that, I believe, you can set around the stage so if your opponent runs into them they get hurt. Which is sort of like Parasoul's bubbles?

The best way to explain the game is that it plays just like Dragon Ball Z. Imagine the most direct way to translate the show's feel into a 2D fighter, and you have Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Natural 20 posted:

Boo. I need me a kickass character that drops fireballs over a character on the floor.

I think Vegeta' assist is when he is up in the air dropping a bunch of projectiles? Either way lots of characters can do this when you control them.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 15, 2018

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Natural 20 posted:

Boo. I need me a kickass character that drops fireballs over a character on the floor.
You want Krillin. He can shoot ki blasts straight downward, throw rocks at an arc, and has a super where he shoots a bunch of ki blasts downward. He also has mad oki setups using afterimages, assists optional.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this game feels closer to melty blood + arcana with assists than anything

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i got like 240k bp and i cant play anymore too exhausted. i fought a guy who's shockingly good and started taking a couple characters off him. he beat nakkiel on stream a few times so he seems p legit and i leanred some sick nappa combos off him. theres some really good mixups if you just get a hard kd and do air dash / fall i saw off some other guy. dude would smash me with vegeta and iad mixups straight out of gg lol

reflect doesnt seem to do anything to lows, its super powerful. lows also beat any sort of 4S in a string.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

i got like 240k bp and i cant play anymore too exhausted. i fought a guy who's shockingly good and started taking a couple characters off him. he beat nakkiel on stream a few times so he seems p legit and i leanred some sick nappa combos off him. theres some really good mixups if you just get a hard kd and do air dash / fall i saw off some other guy. dude would smash me with vegeta and iad mixups straight out of gg lol

reflect doesnt seem to do anything to lows, its super powerful. lows also beat any sort of 4S in a string.

Help me out here, how fast is dragon rush up close? I didn't see many players going for it in pressure, is it Not Real?

also adult gohan is nanaya so melty blood is here and it left the bathroom

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

Help me out here, how fast is dragon rush up close? I didn't see many players going for it in pressure, is it Not Real?

also adult gohan is nanaya so melty blood is here and it left the bathroom

dragon rush is super weird, if you mash i think you get out of it somehow? and also its reasonably fast up close because there's no travel distance. it still seems bad.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
dragon rush is the only way to snapback right? The only time I've seen anyone use dragon rush is after a vanish wallbounce to snapback

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KyloWinter posted:

dragon rush is the only way to snapback right? The only time I've seen anyone use dragon rush is after a vanish wallbounce to snapback

yes

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
With the amount of blue life you can regenerate snapback seems really important.

Also is Nakkiel still playing Gohan on point? I didn't see him streaming yesterdya.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KyloWinter posted:

With the amount of blue life you can regenerate snapback seems really important.

Also is Nakkiel still playing Gohan on point? I didn't see him streaming yesterdya.

matches werent working until around after he stops streaming

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

dragon rush is super weird, if you mash i think you get out of it somehow? and also its reasonably fast up close because there's no travel distance. it still seems bad.

Man, why do videogames hate throws nowadays, I just wanna tick throw people. :smith:

I'm gonna lab for a weekend when this poo poo comes out, there's so much poo poo I wanna test.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DBFZ is the first FG in ages that doesn't have classic throws...I can't even think of the last. It was probably some SNES crap. It's a weird design decision

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

In Training posted:

DBFZ is the first FG in ages that doesn't have classic throws...I can't even think of the last. It was probably some SNES crap. It's a weird design decision

P4A had basically the same throw system

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I just found out that if you're in midair recovering from performing 18's level 1, you can still perform her level 1. Stopped me from getting hit by a Gohan Level 3.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not that I was expecting any huge reveals or anything but wasn't there supposed to be some kind of announcement today?

Coulda sworn I heard that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nnnnnno? There was nothing planned for today.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Goku's win quotes in this game are the best goddamn

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

P4A had basically the same throw system

P4A still had regular throws alongside the all out attack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah P4A had throws for sure

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Did the beta get extended? I thought it was supposed to end at 3am this morning.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Boy there seems to be a ton of bitching online about auto combos, but they don't seem that big of a deal to me? Am I just being an idiot?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Monaghan posted:

Boy there seems to be a ton of bitching online about auto combos, but they don't seem that big of a deal to me? Am I just being an idiot?

they're not a big deal and ppl whining about them are just looking for an excuse to blame why they're bad on something other than themselves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xad posted:

Did the beta get extended? I thought it was supposed to end at 3am this morning.

No, it was always supposed to go through Monday. They might still extend it though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Dragon rush has a green flash during startup that's a tell and you can tech with any attack button. You can combo into it for snapbacks and extensions, though. It seems too early to decide if it's real or not, but free snaps are bananas.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Broken Loose posted:

Dragon rush has a green flash during startup that's a tell and you can tech with any attack button. You can combo into it for snapbacks and extensions, though. It seems too early to decide if it's real or not, but free snaps are bananas.

Yeah, I'm surprised they don't cost something, especially with how fast blue life seems to regenerate.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

This type of auto combo is completely fine. People who complain about them don't understand them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised they don't cost something, especially with how fast blue life seems to regenerate.

I think it's because the dragon rush startup is kinda slow and they probably didn't want another mechanic that ate into a meter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There are just some people out there that are looking to poo poo on this game any chance they can get and I can't tell if they're trolling or just mentally unwell

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I saw something about snapping the last character on a team causing a spin state, does anyone has that thing or did my sleep deprivation make me see things?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Autocombos are balanced. You actually need to land a normal to do them and anyone who can do that is probably already able to do the magic series for more damage. They'd be a problem if you could yolo super dash into autocombo into team hyper combo with 2 buttons

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Looking forward to digging into this tonight if matchmaking is working now. Hopefully, it remains fixed?

Hard to get an impression from how it really plays without training mode and any ability to get matches. It feels weirdly clunky running through the tutorials to me, but I think that's just that new game feel.

I do hope there's a way to turn off auto combos in the full game however, it's annoying to double tap a button and potentially mess up your combo due to the extra input starting an auto combo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't see the big deal about the autocombo feature. I mean in MVC3 if you get chained into a combo then it's usually from the first hit anyway, all this game does is take away the need to move your thumb to other buttons sometimes. Doesn't matter because this still has Guilty Gear-esque tech too with the transmissionport, burst, reflects, etc so simplifying a few very basic combos is nice for beginners.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Monaghan posted:

I think it's because the dragon rush startup is kinda slow and they probably didn't want another mechanic that ate into a meter.

I posted about this before, but I thought I saw a video where someone could combo into Dragon rush, which I hope would be for most characters. And if that's not the case...then that's also pretty troublesome imo.

As for meter, idk if that's rally a good reason, but it's extremely hard to tell when the game is unreleased and we don't know anything about how proper play/meter management will look like.

CharlestonJew posted:

There are just some people out there that are looking to poo poo on this game any chance they can get and I can't tell if they're trolling or just mentally unwell

Tbh I don't really feel like I'm going to enjoy the mechanics of this game. I typically don't enjoy arcsys designs/mechanics, and there's several of them in here that make me wary from what I've read/seen. I'm gonna give the game an honest try when it comes out still, but I don't think we should head down the road of avoiding criticism of this game, cause maybe some people will just not like the game. FYI I also hate mvci so this isn't some dumb capcom-anime tribal poo poo or w/e

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ventana posted:

Tbh I don't really feel like I'm going to enjoy the mechanics of this game. I typically don't enjoy arcsys designs/mechanics, and there's several of them in here that make me wary from what I've read/seen. I'm gonna give the game an honest try when it comes out still, but I don't think we should head down the road of avoiding criticism of this game, cause maybe some people will just not like the game. FYI I also hate mvci so this isn't some dumb capcom-anime tribal poo poo or w/e

oh that's totally fine, I was more referring to the people that have a hateful obsession with the game

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
There are people that are pissed because they want Xenoverse 3 instead and think it's 'stealing' from it despite being made by a completely different company and also having it been confirmed that Xenoverse 3 is being worked on right now.

So, just dumbasses.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Flytrap posted:

There are people that are pissed because they want Xenoverse 3 instead and think it's 'stealing' from it despite being made by a completely different company and also having it been confirmed that Xenoverse 3 is being worked on right now.

So, just dumbasses.

What a world we live in where a DRAGONBALL Z game is going to get worldwide acclaim and recognition from the biggest fighting game tournaments on the planet, and some of the fanbase still wants to be pissbabies.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I do hope there's a way to turn off auto combos in the full game however, it's annoying to double tap a button and potentially mess up your combo due to the extra input starting an auto combo.

Holding back stops autocombo normals from coming out, it's a non-issue.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CharlestonJew posted:

oh that's totally fine, I was more referring to the people that have a hateful obsession with the game

I know that on 4chan there's a discord raid group that shitposted about the game for awhile. Bout the worst I've seen of it honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Flytrap posted:

So, just dumbasses.

Xenoverse 3 better have a story mode full of What Ifs finally.