Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jabor posted:

They could add a super-express belt without buffing inserters, just make it so inserters can never interact with the belt at all (you could even make a graphic of like, a shroud over it to make that obvious). You'd merge blue belts in order to saturate a fuchsia belt, and then you'd split them back off the main bus onto slower belts for your individual factories.

I kind of like this idea. It's the same sort of lateral approach to increased throughput of having carts on tracks but it stays more in the idiom of the game. You should go post it over on the game forums. I don't think the devs read this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If you are making a high speed non interactable belt, couldn’t the whole thing be underground then? Maybe make a subsurface layer that the high speed belts travel on to get material from one side of a factory to the other without having to surface every 4 tiles.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orvin posted:

If you are making a high speed non interactable belt, couldn’t the whole thing be underground then? Maybe make a subsurface layer that the high speed belts travel on to get material from one side of a factory to the other without having to surface every 4 tiles.

Possibly, but I think the gameplay would be less interesting. The whole point of the discussion is to reward players for engaging in the logistical challenge that belts provide, so you don't want to do that by removing too much of the challenge involved. Also, coming up with appropriate graphics for that seems difficult.

In fact I'd be inclined to say that they wouldn't have underground variants at all, all your other belts would have to go underneath your super-express belts instead, and you'd have to be careful with regards to routing around train tracks and other super-express belts.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Solution: now that we have artillery let us be able to use them to load our machines by cannon fire.

:getin:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sharkbomb posted:

I'd probably switch back to belts if there was an easier way to load/unload trains in a balanced way with belts. Someone suggested a hopper that would basically be a combo of chests and inserters that fits perfectly to a cargo wagon. After playing this game for so long I just got really sick of trying to engineer high-throughput weird-looking splitter-inserter-chest-inserter combos that inevitably load/unload my trains unevenly. Admittedly, I haven't revisted this part of the game since I learned how to use circuit logic; I could probably build a good solution now if I had to.

Yeah, circuits are how you solve this. Here's mine:

For unloading:

The three inserters on each side of the splitter are wired together.

They use this for their setting:

This makes them unload the chests on their side equally. With a normal belt balancer on the output, this will unload the chests fairly evenly.

For loading:

All the chests are wired together, and feed into the arithmetic combinator's input. The output of the combinator is wired to each of the inserters loading into the chests, and each inserter is paired separately with its chest with a different colored wire. (Press Q to make the wire stop chaining.)

The combinator:

And the inserters:

The combinator takes the negative average fill level of the chests (since there are 24 chests, the divisor is -24.) Then, each inserter adds that to its chest's fill level. If the fill level of the chest is below average (below zero) then turn on.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jabor posted:

In fact I'd be inclined to say that they wouldn't have underground variants at all, all your other belts would have to go underneath your super-express belts instead, and you'd have to be careful with regards to routing around train tracks and other super-express belts.

No. No underground would mean building brand new waiting and offloading train stations for every good type instead of just being able to share incoming and outgoing tracks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LLSix posted:

No. No underground would mean building brand new waiting and offloading train stations for every good type instead of just being able to share incoming and outgoing tracks.

Bidirectional train supremacy!

(That's a good point, I guess we shouldn't go that far.)

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i could do with a whole subterranean layer that could house belts, etc. it'd be cool too to see your belts going from underground to above ground and you could get all sorts of spaghetti with that poo poo in even more new and exciting ways. hell you could probably do it with a mod similar to factorissimo just map 1:1 with the game world and every time uses an underground belt make it show in the underground belt layer too. add a few things like unmovable pillars, oil deposits, etc., and you'd retain some of the challenge. make walls/mines extend to the underground layer and have tunneling biters for extra difficulty :)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't use bots much, because there's no puzzle or planning there. It's a magic solution that totally circumvents design. All you have to do is pump resources and research and power into it and throughput just goes up without needing to ever move anything. It's so easy that it feels like cheating, honestly.

But on the other hand, as you scale up to late-game factories and rocket-silo building, your base's resource demands increase so much that it just becomes difficult to keep things running via belts. Your industry gets so hungry you need multiple blue belts of basic resources, pumping that many goods through train stops becomes increasingly unwieldy, and just when you've managed to engineer increasingly complex solutions to all of that, game performance starts dragging anyway. Belts could be buffed, or resource costs could be pushed down to reduce the necessary throughput for stuff.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Did they fix ups being better with bots? I remember seeing something on it in the optimizations a while back.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kinetica posted:

Did they fix ups being better with bots? I remember seeing something on it in the optimizations a while back.

They made belt-based factories a lot more UPS friendly with all of the .16 belt updates I thought.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Belts are much more optimized than in the past, but bots are still best for UPS.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

Again you just get back to megabases having a far higher throughput via bots, it just requires a bigger power plant. The issue comes down to bots simply not having any collision. You need to give bots collision of some sort to fix this mess/issue. And coding something like that in just opens up a whole new can of worms.

Not just power plants: you'd need more roboports to service bots that can't fly as far before going into limp mode, and coupling that with huge swarms of bots queueing up all the time really seems murderous.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
It's weird to see the devs write about belts being the fun way to play the game when the tech tree is geared towards favoring bots. I think if there were more upgrades in the tree for belts and belt systems we wouldn't be having the conversation. And I don't just mean "more tiers" types of things, but some kind of improvement similar to bot improvements - improved blue belt speed, improved density, better transfers with inserters, better recipe costs, almost anything, really.

Diagonal belts?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to see Bob's Inserters made vanilla, honestly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd like to see loaders added properly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why can't I charge my batteries from electric poles? It's so painful to use any power armor stuff without portable fusion reactor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's A Mod For That

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Alternatively, a burner generator module so you can carry around your own personal smog cloud.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah Loaders might be all the belt buff they need

Qubee
May 31, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah Loaders might be all the belt buff they need

how though? loaders will fully saturate a belt quickly, but it still boils down to a fully saturated blue belt being nowhere near as efficient as a tonne of bots. it'll be a little buff, but it's definitely not the only buff they need.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well, Loaders and Warehousing in stock. Makes for much better flow control of raw materials. I don't really agree that bots need a real debuff but I'd be ok with getting rid of the carrying capacity bonus.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Finally unlocked the tank yesterday, drat that thing makes taking care of hives so much easier :stare:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

explosivo posted:

Finally unlocked the tank yesterday, drat that thing makes taking care of hives so much easier :stare:

:yeah:

tanks own

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't even have the cannon shells made yet, was just rocking the AP ammo and flamethrower. So good. :clint:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I want a customizable tank where you can replace the cannon with a rocket launcher or souped up flamethrower. Also cannon turrets.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

explosivo posted:

I don't even have the cannon shells made yet, was just rocking the AP ammo and flamethrower. So good. :clint:

The shells are pretty good, as long as you realize that they're basically only for worms, and only because they have superior range. They are pretty bad at cutting down biters by themselves (but if you get a green biter, kiting it while pounding it with shells works fine for killing it.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The shells are pretty good, as long as you realize that they're basically only for worms, and only because they have superior range. They are pretty bad at cutting down biters by themselves (but if you get a green biter, kiting it while pounding it with shells works fine for killing it.)

Yeah, Shells are mainly for pounding a base with heavy artillery (before you get REAL artillery at yellow science), even the explosive shells with their AOE aren't good against biter/spitter hordes (that's what the MG/flamethrower/cowcatcher on the front are for)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good to know, thanks for the Tank tips, all!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Another tank tip: If you have personal laser defense, it will fire at biters from inside the tank while you focus on hitting nests with cannon shells.

Bonus tank tip: If you have a personal roboport, move your construction bots to the tank's inventory before engaging, then back to your inventory after it's clear and they will repair your tank. If you keep them on you during combat, prepare to lose a lot of bots to worm-spit.

I finally got my Hans Blix NOTHING TO SEE HERE center up and running, 20 centrifuges kitted with speed module 3s running Kovarex enrichment 24/7 :f5h::dukedog:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I don't know if the numbers changed at some point but I recall back when nuclear power was added to the game someone worked out that two well-supplied centrifuges running enrichment produced enough to keep even the most extravagant megabase nuclear plant fueled forever. If you go too overboard on Kovarex you will eventually run out of material for the top tier of ammunition and cannon shells.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Jamsque posted:

I don't know if the numbers changed at some point but I recall back when nuclear power was added to the game someone worked out that two well-supplied centrifuges running enrichment produced enough to keep even the most extravagant megabase nuclear plant fueled forever. If you go too overboard on Kovarex you will eventually run out of material for the top tier of ammunition and cannon shells.

I'm making nukes, get that depleted poo poo outta here

Edit: Note that 20 centrifuges kitted with speed module 3's can make enough U-235 for just over 1 nuke per minute

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 15, 2018

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Foehammer posted:

Edit: Note that 20 centrifuges kitted with speed module 3's can make enough U-235 for just over 1 nuke per minute

Ah, I forgot about nukes. They are on the list of 'things I have never intentionally built in 250 hours of Factorio' along with lamps and anything to do with the circuit network.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foehammer posted:

We need nuclear artillery shells.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uPen posted:

We need nuclear artillery shells.

i'm guessing you mean tank-mounted atomic bombs, because there are definitely DU shells

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Jamsque posted:

Ah, I forgot about nukes. They are on the list of 'things I have never intentionally built in 250 hours of Factorio' along with lamps and anything to do with the circuit network.

I'm worried. Do we need to stage a thread intervention? No lamps? What madness is this?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i'm guessing you mean tank-mounted atomic bombs, because there are definitely DU shells

I think he's talking about the artillery platforms they added in 0.16.x Which is mostly stable now if you haven't updated.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm worried. Do we need to stage a thread intervention? No lamps? What madness is this?

Who needs lamps? They don't aid production at all. I just lean waaaay close to my screen during in-game night until I get night vision goggles.

If you want to get really mad at me, I didn't start using trains until like a month ago

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I want to shoot atomic bombs out of the artillery cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone else seen huge lag spikes when using atomic bombs in multiplayer? Every time someone uses a nuke in my server they get a lot of stuttering and sometimes they're unable to move for a little bit, and everyone else who can see the nuke is also affected. It's really dangerous, it makes it difficult to avoid the blast radius when doing hit and run nuke attacks, and if you get stuck in place the biters can kill you.

We only play with 2-4 people and I should have plenty of network bandwidth for that (I'm hosting the server process) so I don't know what's going on.